PDA

View Full Version : Hernando sheriff official faces DUI charges

07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
BROOKSVILLE -- Prosecutors plan to issue an arrest warrant today for a Hernando County Sheriff's Office employee, charging her with driving drunk after she wrecked her car July 12 along a rural road.

Emily Vernon, the agency's finance director, faces misdemeanor charges of driving under the influence causing property damage, according to a court documents filed this morning.

Vernon was not arrested at the scene because deputies said no witnesses could place her behind the wheel of the truck. Sheriff's officials said that, absent someone seeing her, they could not arrest Vernon that night, but prosecutors dispute that point and contend an arrest could have been made.

Prosecutors decided to file charges after a witness came forward with information placing Vernon behind the wheel of her truck, prosecutors said. Still, the case lacks significant evidence because investigators did not complete a drunk driving investigation that night, so no breath or blood tests were taken.

According to accident reports, Vernon ran several cars off the road before crashing into a pole at Lake Lindsey and Daly roads, just southwest of Istachatta. A deputy said Vernon had the faint odor of alcohol on her breath and body and seemed "overly relaxed." Vernon told the deputy that she had drunk half a bottle of wine and taken a dose of sleep medication about an hour before the accident.

Click Here for the Source (http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/2008/07/hernando-sherif.html)[/quote]

Hummm..... Interesting.......

07-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Only done for show. We know this and he knows we know this. Another coverup in the works. Too many lately.

02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
She's changing her plea from not guilty on the 12th. This should all come to a close mid month. Let's see what happens and if she is accountable for driving drunk and drugged. When she is found guilty will Nugent make her resign or will she be allowed to stay? Bets are that she stays.

02-13-2009, 12:52 PM
BROOKSVILLE - The sheriff's finance director pleaded no contest Thursday to a charge of DUI causing property damage.

Emily Vernon, 40, was adjudicated guilty and received the standard DUI sanctions, including a year's probation, a six-month license suspension and 50 hours of community service.

She was not in court on Thursday and made the plea "in absentia."

Sgt. Donna Black, spokeswoman, said an internal affairs investigation will now begin at the sheriff's office to determine if Vernon violated department policy. The results of that investigation will determine whether Vernon will keep her job at the sheriff's office.

She said Sheriff Richard Nugent would not be commenting on the situation.

Vernon was arrested July 21, 10 days after she crashed her pickup truck into a road sign on Lake Lindsey Road. Minutes before the collision she was weaving across the road, forcing several drivers to take evasive action.

Vernon crashed into a road sign shortly after, but the witnesses who dialed 911 didn't actually see her behind the wheel. Instead they saw her walking around the crash site, staggering and acting drunk. The deputies who went to investigate the crash reported that Vernon had trouble pronouncing her name and was dancing in the middle of the road.

But without a "wheel witness," there was no proof that Vernon was the actual driver. That's why it was only documented as a traffic crash and no sobriety tests were administered.

Days later, media coverage of the episode prompted four witnesses to come forward and identify Vernon as the driver. That was evidence enough for the state attorney's office to charge Vernon with DUI.

In December, Vernon's attorney challenged the strength of the case and filed a motion asking the state to prove it had evidence Vernon was driving under the influence.

On Thursday, Assistant State Attorney Matthew Pila said the case had its strengths and weaknesses, but he was confident in the testimony of the witnesses.

This plea allowed Vernon to avoid a potential six months in jail, Pila added.

In addition to the probation, Vernon also has to pay $971 in court costs and her vehicle is impounded for 10 days.

Reporter Kyle Martin can be reached at 352-544-5271 or kmartin@hernandotoday.com.

02-13-2009, 01:07 PM
This is the least of the agencies problems right now.Just read the posts !!!and the facts :snicker:

02-13-2009, 04:43 PM
I'll drink to that!!! :lol:

02-13-2009, 07:11 PM
I think she lives at the north end of the county. Perhaps the Chief can pick her up on the way to work then take her home in the afternoon.

02-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Lol,,that was a good one :snicker: :snicker:

02-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Looks like 102 will have a car full :lol:

02-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey..If I put on a wig and a push up bra and wear a cute skirt,you think 102 will let me jump in.Ima man and I wonder if he will know the difference.I will be certain to shave that day,as I kniw he wont want razor burn!!!! :devil: :devil: :devil:

02-14-2009, 07:38 AM
HEY 102,,

I WAS WONDERING...I NEED TO SEE OUR FORENSICS BIOMETRIC LADY PERSON ABOUT SOME FINGERPRINTS. CAN YOU GIVE ME THE CODE TO HER DOUBLE LOCKED OFFICE??? IM SURE U KNOW IT BY HEART!! :devil:

02-14-2009, 03:14 PM
This is the least of the agencies problems right now.Just read the posts !!!and the facts :snicker:
Absolutely! :cop: :cop: :oops:

02-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Elvira has a double locked door? She must keep her diary in her desk.

02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
The only thing that's been on her desk is her back.

02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
It's very funny to read all these posts that are on this site. I have to admit some of you are very clever and have made me laugh through the years. I hate to even let the cat out of the bag, since it has been a secret for so long. I feel as though it's the right time to let it out because some of you are really getting out of hand. The secret is that the Chief has been raising Miss Biometrics since she was 4 years old. I am sure that if you find Elvira's diary you will find some mention to it, or you can just ask the Director of Forensics. Some of you may have put all of it together already, keep in mind that the Chief started his career in St. Pete. He is very protective of her and now you know why. You really should get the facts before posting such nonsense - it is very funny though. :devil:

Happy Blogging. :evil:

02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Go away!!u are trying to get promoted doo boy lol :cop:

02-16-2009, 08:29 PM
It's a shame that peson was trying to put a damper on your blog. The truth hurts, especially when it affects all those lies. Research it out brother. If you continue to play the music, people will dance. Unfortunetly, they will not dance to "Milli Vanilli" my friend. :shock:

02-17-2009, 01:09 AM
It's very funny to read all these posts that are on this site. I have to admit some of you are very clever and have made me laugh through the years. I hate to even let the cat out of the bag, since it has been a secret for so long. I feel as though it's the right time to let it out because some of you are really getting out of hand. The secret is that the Chief has been raising Miss Biometrics since she was 4 years old. I am sure that if you find Elvira's diary you will find some mention to it, or you can just ask the Director of Forensics. Some of you may have put all of it together already, keep in mind that the Chief started his career in St. Pete. He is very protective of her and now you know why. You really should get the facts before posting such nonsense - it is very funny though. :devil:

Happy Blogging. :evil:

Good old falsely documented diary of hers, huh?

Nice try. I'm not buying it!!

The previous poster is right. The only thing that's been on her desk is her back.

It's not what you know, it's who you blow!!!!!!!!!!!! HCSO's new motto!

03-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Sgt. Donna Black, spokeswoman, said an internal affairs investigation will now begin at the sheriff's office to determine if Vernon violated department policy. The results of that investigation will determine whether Vernon will keep her job at the sheriff's office.

Any news on this yet?

03-21-2009, 04:27 PM
No Kyle Martin. Get your dirt somewhere else dork!

03-21-2009, 05:16 PM

I sure hope you don't blame other innocent people as you have blamed this reporter. Dude, do a better job, and quit brown nosing.

03-21-2009, 05:25 PM

I sure hope you don't blame other innocent people as you have blamed this reporter. Dude, do a better job, and quit brown nosing.

The media isn't going to like this, is it Steve or J.R.?

03-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Haven't heard anything recently regarding the ID/Evidence scandal. ?????????? Another in house brush under the rug?

03-25-2009, 01:25 PM
By KYLE MARTIN

Hernando Today

Published: March 25, 2009

BROOKSVILLE - The sheriff's finance director was given a written reprimand Friday for her drunken driving arrest last summer.

In the reprimand, released Tuesday, Sheriff Richard Nugent tells Emily Vernon her attempts to seek counseling the Monday after the incident "lead me to believe you have taken steps in the right direction."

Vernon was arrested 10 days after she crashed her pickup truck into a road sign on July 11 at the intersection of Lake Lindsey and Daly roads. Deputies smelled alcohol on her breath and found wine bottles in the pickup, but there were no witnesses on scene that could put her behind the wheel.

The sheriff denied allegations of favoritism at the time and defended how deputies handled the matter.

News coverage prompted witnesses to come forward and an arrest warrant was issued. Vernon, 40, pleaded no contest Feb. 12 and received the standard DUI sanctions, including a year of probation and a six-month driver's license suspension.

An in-house investigation resumed after the criminal charges were settled and its contents shed new light in the events leading up to the crash.

Vernon tells what happened in her own words to the investigator and declares it was never her intention to drink and drive. She blames a prescribed sleep aid for her erratic driving.

Vernon admits she is aware of the side effects, which put her into an "amnesia-like trance." Several months prior to this incident, she woke up to find she had rearranged the bedroom furniture.

On that night, Vernon's husband was working and her daughter was out of the house on a trip. She took her medication, then drove to a north Brooksville store and bought two bottles of wine. As she drove home, her driving became more erratic and witnesses began following her.

Her pursuers lost sight of her on Lake Lindsey Road, but pulled up just after she struck the road sign. She was already out of the truck inspecting the damage to the grill. A witness took the keys from the ignition to keep her from driving away.

At one point, Vernon poured the wine into a plastic water bottle. She told the investigator it's because her husband hates alcohol and she wanted to hide the bottle from him.

Deputies responding to the 11:30 p.m. crash found Vernon sitting on the side of the road and struggling to stand. She only gave her name as "Emidy" and couldn't remember her last name.

When they told her to stay seated, she lay face down on the asphalt. Fearing she would walk into traffic, deputies handcuffed Vernon and seated her in a police cruiser.

The deputies consulted with their supervisors for a course of action. With no "wheel witnesses" and no keys in the ignition, it was decided there was no proof of DUI. No sobriety tests were administered, nor was there a blood alcohol test.

Vernon told investigators she doubted her blood alcohol level would have exceeded the .08 limit. She added if the crash hadn't been so publicized she would have fought the charge instead of pleading no contest.

But "she couldn't deal with the matter any longer," the report states.

The internal investigation resumed when the criminal charges were squared away and determined that Vernon violated policy that restricts alcohol use.

As part of the reprimand, Vernon is to continue counseling and send reports on her progress to Human Resources after three and six months.

Her employment at the sheriff's office depends on her continued abstinence and any repeat violations will lead to "immediate termination," the reprimand states.

Reporter Kyle Martin can be reached at 352-544-5271 or kmartin@hernandotoday.com.