PDA

View Full Version : Compliments to Capt. Tolbert

07-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Kudos to those who have been laboring to get the administration to change the ABT designation for sworn employees from "Special Agent" to "Agent".

07-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I want to be "Special."

07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Huh? Why would Toblert want to do that?

07-20-2008, 09:12 PM
These agents want to walk around DBPR with their guns openly displayed, calling themselves SPECIAL AGENTS. This is an accredited agency. ABT is accountable for these actions to OPPAGA. the Florida Legislature, and the Committee for Accreditation. There are things that the agents just don't understand.

07-20-2008, 09:14 PM
I compliment Captain Tolbert for standing up for professionalism at ABT....

07-20-2008, 09:19 PM
When you read closely the overriding statutes and originating documents pertaining to ABT's staff responsibility, you will see, as I have, that the agents should not be armed or carrying badges at all.

07-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Somebody explain to this moron the difference between ABT's staff and a sworn officer of ABT having the powers of a deputy sheriff in the enforcement of the beverage laws long established before the powers bills enactment. Better yet, share with us what you've closely read that promotes this position. I do agree that no LEO of any stripe should walk around an office, PD, SO or public with their sidearms exposed. It's just unprofessional and suggests (at least to me) that he who does it has a problem with being seen as a person in authority.

07-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Kudos to those who have been laboring to get the administration to change the ABT designation for sworn employees from "Special Agent" to "Agent".

OK, I'm not opposed, but when did this happen?

07-21-2008, 12:40 AM
First I'm hearing of this...any details available? I personally don't care what you call me or what is stamped on the badge. I'm just curiuos what brought this issue to the top of the pot?

07-21-2008, 01:10 AM
I don't really use the title "Special Agent" anyway, unless I have to. No big deal to me, call me whatever you want, I still get paid.

07-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Somebody explain to this moron the difference between ABT's staff and a sworn officer of ABT having the powers of a deputy sheriff in the enforcement of the beverage laws long established before the powers bills enactment. Better yet, share with us what you've closely read that promotes this position. I do agree that no LEO of any stripe should walk around an office, PD, SO or public with their sidearms exposed. It's just unprofessional and suggests (at least to me) that he who does it has a problem with being seen as a person in authority.

I couldn't agree more. No police officers should ever walk around with their sidearm visibly displayed and their departmental badge displayed. Except plainclothes municipal police detectives. And plainclothes detectives and investigators from Sheriff's offices of the county in which they are employed. And except for FDLE agents in plainclothes. And except for ABT agents and other state enforcement agents in plainclothes such as fire marshall. And federal officers in plainclothes. And uniform municipal officers. And uniform Sheriff's deputies.

All others should not "walk around with their sidearm exposed".

07-21-2008, 02:14 AM

I am not a criminal, so a sworn, law enforcement officer promoting the safety of the public by displaying his/her department's badge on his/her belt next to a safely holstered weapon does not seem unprofessional or suggest a need to be in authority. It means that I feel safer wherever I am knowing that a brother/sister law enforcement officer is on duty in plainclothes.

07-21-2008, 02:26 AM
When you read closely the overriding statutes and originating documents pertaining to ABT's staff responsibility, you will see, as I have, that the agents should not be armed or carrying badges at all.

Let's see..........no raises last year, no raises this year, no raises next year, no raises the year after that ( according to our Secretary ). The car I drive has 130,000 miles on it, making it a death trap ( don't worry about me, I've left written instructions for my wife to get a lawyer and sue DBPR if the inevitable happens in that rat trap ) and they don't even want us to have a gun or a badge. And reliable reports from Tallahassee that a Captain, that's right, it bears repeating, a C-a-p-t-a-i-n spends his time trying to downgrade our title from "special agent" down to "agent".

07-21-2008, 02:28 AM
I've been a cop for a while. To me, morale has never been worse at ABT. It is the worst I have ever experienced now. ABT leadership has disdain for the rank and file. That Captain should be fired or demoted for spending paid time doing stupid and morale destroying acts like trying to take the "special agent" title away. Why is that Captain allowed to waste time on such trivial pursuits? Why is that Captain still in charge of policies when not one, not o-n-e, new or revised policy has been allowed out of his office? Why does he get away with lying about the reasons that no new policies have come out?

07-21-2008, 02:38 AM
To the wierdo that doesn't want to see ABT agents wearing guns and badges on their belts-I like cops. I like seeing them in uniform wearing the gun and badge. I like seeing them wearing a polo shirt and 511's wearing the gun and badge. I bet that if even one cop wearing a polo or other casual shirt and slacks, and a displayed gun and badge, had been on even one of the planes hijacked on 9-11, that the terrorists aboard that plane would have either deplaned or abandoned their plan altogether. Even if they had taken control with their boxcutters and mace cans, that one cop probably would have quickly and effectively shot all of them and ended the conflict. (Yes, you can shoot aboard a pressurized airplane, they are made to compensate for small holes in the fuselage, I watched it on "Mythbusters"). When I see a cop in street clothes with a badge on a chain on his neck or on his belt, my family and I feel safer. I like to see cop cars parked on my street, too. Marked or unmarked, it makes for a safer place to live. When I travel, I stop at restaurants that have cop cars in the parking lot. Cops make for a safer dining experience. But, hey, I'm not a cop hater. So the badge and gun don't frighten me.

07-21-2008, 02:49 AM
ABT is part of DBPR. It is accountable to OPPAGA and the Committee for Accreditation and must meet certain standards. It also must meet DMS regulations and the DMS rules. Also the agency is held to the standards of the State of Florida Employee handbook. Accreditation demands that ABT agents should not carry guns except at the range. Since ABT is not a patrol agency, the agents should not carry firearms on duty at all, and certainly not exposed. ABT is responsible for maintenance of the accreditation rules and the agents should primarily obey accreditation directives. Since the ABT agent is responsible for inspections and administrative work, the agent should not need a firearm for those functions. As far as working in any other capacity, accreditation standards indicate that those functions should be performed by police or sheriff's deputies. ABT stands for Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco. Agents should not be doing anything except alcohol license inspections and tobacco inspections. These agents running around seizing counterfeit sneakers and cds and videodiscs and small amounts of drugs that they are probably smoking themselves, are giving the agency a black eye in the accreditation community.

07-21-2008, 02:50 AM
ABT is part of DBPR. It is accountable to OPPAGA and the Committee for Accreditation and must meet certain standards. It also must meet DMS regulations and the DMS rules. Also the agency is held to the standards of the State of Florida Employee handbook. Accreditation demands that ABT agents should not carry guns except at the range. Since ABT is not a patrol agency, the agents should not carry firearms on duty at all, and certainly not exposed. ABT is responsible for maintenance of the accreditation rules and the agents should primarily obey accreditation directives. Since the ABT agent is responsible for inspections and administrative work, the agent should not need a firearm for those functions. As far as working in any other capacity, accreditation standards indicate that those functions should be performed by police or sheriff's deputies. ABT stands for Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco. Agents should not be doing anything except alcohol license inspections and tobacco inspections. These agents running around seizing counterfeit sneakers and cds and videodiscs and small amounts of drugs that they are probably smoking themselves, are giving the agency a black eye in the accreditation community.

07-21-2008, 02:55 AM

He is an excellent supervisor and I am pleased to have worked with him.

07-21-2008, 03:46 AM
You know what is really amazing here, is you morons think one person really gives a shit about what you think or say here. No one is going to take away our title for starters. If they do, then we will be titled investigators which is a nice title as well. Either way, you still get a bloody pay check and get to put people in jail or whatever some of us do or don't do. Personally, I like to take people to jail when they need it. As far as our current title goes, we are a specialized agency like ICE, DEA, ATF, DEP, Etc. Federal, state or local if you are specialized then you are titled appropriately as Special Agent. FDLE is the only agency falsly using this title as they are not specialized but merely a broad investigative agency. But, who cares!!!! Title me fairy princess so long as the checks keep rolling in and I can continue making my own schedule. JASKASSES!!!

07-21-2008, 03:52 AM

What is this idiot licensee smoking, and why haven't we come across him yet? This clown is an absolute moron who obviously hasn't heard of FSS 943, or FSS 20.165! In addition, the mental midget doesn't acknowledge the fact that Law Enforcement personnel fall under a totally different realm of rules, and don't have to comply with the bulk of policies related to civilians.

If ABT LEO's had to abide by all of those rules, then so would DEP agents, DFS (Insurance and Fire Marshals), Lottery, and others alike, because they are divisions of larger civilian departments.

Yes, we do perform administrative functions. So what? Our primary purpose is regulation of the alcohol and tobacco industries...which are responsible for compliance with Florida law. Just because we perform administrative functions does not preclude us from Law Enforcement. More often than not, our administrative cases are coupled with criminal ones. And by the way, genius, if someone is operating without a license, it is solely a criminal case, so no admin function there.

Like it or not, we're cops. We have state-wide arrest powers, we carry guns and badges, we wear uniforms (at times), we seize evidence, we write reports, we serve warrants, take sworn statements, serve subpoenas, etc. We all went through the police academy, and are all certified under the CJSTC. THOSE are the rules we MUST abide by, and are held to. Seems to me that the person who made that post is one of a CIVILIAN investigator who is jealous of our stature.

07-21-2008, 04:37 AM
Read below.

20.165(9)

(a) All employees authorized by the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco shall have access to, and shall have the right to inspect, premises licensed by the division, to collect taxes and remit them to the officers entitled to them, and to examine the books and records of all licensees. The authorized employees shall require of each licensee strict compliance with the laws of this state relating to the transaction of such business.

(b) Each employee serving as a law enforcement officer for the division must meet the qualifications for employment or appointment as a law enforcement officer set forth under s. 943.13 and must be certified as a law enforcement officer by the Department of Law Enforcement under chapter 943. Upon certification, each law enforcement officer is subject to and has the same authority as provided for law enforcement officers generally in chapter 901 and has statewide jurisdiction. Each officer also has arrest authority as provided for state law enforcement officers in s. 901.15. Each officer possesses the full law enforcement powers granted to other peace officers of this state, including the authority to make arrests, carry firearms, serve court process, and seize contraband and the proceeds of illegal activities.

1. The primary responsibility of each officer appointed under this section is to investigate, enforce, and prosecute, throughout the state, violations and violators of parts I and II of chapter 210, part VII of chapter 559, and chapters 561-569, and the rules adopted thereunder, as well as other state laws that the division, all state law enforcement officers, or beverage enforcement agents are specifically authorized to enforce.

2. The secondary responsibility of each officer appointed under this section is to enforce all other state laws, provided that the enforcement is incidental to exercising the officer's primary responsibility as provided in subparagraph 1., and the officer exercises the powers of a deputy sheriff, only after consultation or coordination with the appropriate local sheriff's office or municipal police department or when the division participates in the Florida Mutual Aid Plan during a declared state emergency.

843.08 Falsely personating officer, etc.--

A person who falsely assumes or pretends to be a sheriff, officer of the Florida Highway Patrol, officer of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, officer of the Department of Environmental Protection, officer of the Department of Transportation, officer of the Department of Financial Services, officer of the Department of Corrections, correctional probation officer, deputy sheriff, state attorney or assistant state attorney, statewide prosecutor or assistant statewide prosecutor, state attorney investigator, coroner, police officer, lottery special agent or lottery investigator, beverage enforcement agent, or watchman, or any member of the Parole Commission and any administrative aide or supervisor employed by the commission, or any personnel or representative of the Department of Law Enforcement, or a federal law enforcement officer as defined in s. 901.1505, and takes upon himself or herself to act as such, or to require any other person to aid or assist him or her in a matter pertaining to the duty of any such officer, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084; however, a person who falsely personates any such officer during the course of the commission of a felony commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084; except that if the commission of the felony results in the death or personal injury of another human being, the person commits a felony of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

843.085 Unlawful use of police badges or other indicia of authority.--It is unlawful for any person:

(1) Unless appointed by the Governor pursuant to chapter 354, authorized by the appropriate agency, or displayed in a closed or mounted case as a collection or exhibit, to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority, including any badge, insignia, emblem, identification card, or uniform, or any colorable imitation thereof, of any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency, or other criminal justice agency as now or hereafter defined in s. 943.045, which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any of the agencies described above for use by the person displaying or wearing it, or which displays in any manner or combination the word or words "police," "patrolman," "agent," "sheriff," "deputy," "trooper," "highway patrol," "Wildlife Officer," "Marine Patrol Officer," "state attorney," "public defender," "marshal," "constable," or "bailiff," which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any of the agencies described above for use by the person displaying or wearing it.

07-21-2008, 04:48 AM

I am a supervisor in Tallahassee and I agree with this post entirely. I thank Captain Clayton Tolbert for his professionalism, which is in short supply at ABT.

07-21-2008, 05:07 AM

I am a supervisor in Tallahassee and I agree with this post entirely. I thank Captain Clayton Tolbert for his professionalism, which is in short supply at ABT.

Either you're a civilian, or you're too scared to be a cop. I don't know about his professionalism, and if he is, I praise him. However, it seems that this needs to be spelled out: Florida State Statute superceeds administrative policies. If you can't understand this, you shouldn't supervise LEO's...if you even are one. :cop:

07-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Read below.

20.165(9)

(a) All employees authorized by the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco shall have access to, and shall have the right to inspect, premises licensed by the division, to collect taxes and remit them to the officers entitled to them, and to examine the books and records of all licensees. The authorized employees shall require of each licensee strict compliance with the laws of this state relating to the transaction of such business.

(b) Each employee serving as a law enforcement officer for the division must meet the qualifications for employment or appointment as a law enforcement officer set forth under s. 943.13 and must be certified as a law enforcement officer by the Department of Law Enforcement under chapter 943. Upon certification, each law enforcement officer is subject to and has the same authority as provided for law enforcement officers generally in chapter 901 and has statewide jurisdiction. Each officer also has arrest authority as provided for state law enforcement officers in s. 901.15. Each officer possesses the full law enforcement powers granted to other peace officers of this state, including the authority to make arrests, carry firearms, serve court process, and seize contraband and the proceeds of illegal activities.

1. The primary responsibility of each officer appointed under this section is to investigate, enforce, and prosecute, throughout the state, violations and violators of parts I and II of chapter 210, part VII of chapter 559, and chapters 561-569, and the rules adopted thereunder, as well as other state laws that the division, all state law enforcement officers, or beverage enforcement agents are specifically authorized to enforce.

2. The secondary responsibility of each officer appointed under this section is to enforce all other state laws, provided that the enforcement is incidental to exercising the officer's primary responsibility as provided in subparagraph 1., and the officer exercises the powers of a deputy sheriff, only after consultation or coordination with the appropriate local sheriff's office or municipal police department or when the division participates in the Florida Mutual Aid Plan during a declared state emergency.

843.08 Falsely personating officer, etc.--

A person who falsely assumes or pretends to be a sheriff, officer of the Florida Highway Patrol, officer of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, officer of the Department of Environmental Protection, officer of the Department of Transportation, officer of the Department of Financial Services, officer of the Department of Corrections, correctional probation officer, deputy sheriff, state attorney or assistant state attorney, statewide prosecutor or assistant statewide prosecutor, state attorney investigator, coroner, police officer, lottery special agent or lottery investigator, beverage enforcement agent, or watchman, or any member of the Parole Commission and any administrative aide or supervisor employed by the commission, or any personnel or representative of the Department of Law Enforcement, or a federal law enforcement officer as defined in s. 901.1505, and takes upon himself or herself to act as such, or to require any other person to aid or assist him or her in a matter pertaining to the duty of any such officer, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084; however, a person who falsely personates any such officer during the course of the commission of a felony commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084; except that if the commission of the felony results in the death or personal injury of another human being, the person commits a felony of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

843.085 Unlawful use of police badges or other indicia of authority.--It is unlawful for any person:

(1) Unless appointed by the Governor pursuant to chapter 354, authorized by the appropriate agency, or displayed in a closed or mounted case as a collection or exhibit, to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority, including any badge, insignia, emblem, identification card, or uniform, or any colorable imitation thereof, of any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency, or other criminal justice agency as now or hereafter defined in s. 943.045, which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any of the agencies described above for use by the person displaying or wearing it, or which displays in any manner or combination the word or words "police," "patrolman," "agent," "sheriff," "deputy," "trooper," "highway patrol," "Wildlife Officer," "Marine Patrol Officer," "state attorney," "public defender," "marshal," "constable," or "bailiff," which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any of the agencies described above for use by the person displaying or wearing it.

Good research and documentation here. However, you can't win an argument with a moron so I expect more to come but thanks for your indepth validation.

07-21-2008, 12:14 PM

I am a supervisor in Tallahassee and I agree with this post entirely. I thank Captain Clayton Tolbert for his professionalism, which is in short supply at ABT.[/quote

If you're a supervisor in Tallahassee (which I doubt) then some agent needs to tell you where your ass is. How about this scenario supervisor:
we witness a violation of Florida law in our presence and you tell me (as a supervisor) not to act upon the violation. My response to you would be either put that in writing or (respectfully) blow it out your ass!

07-21-2008, 09:37 PM

I am a supervisor in Tallahassee and I agree with this post entirely. I thank Captain Clayton Tolbert for his professionalism, which is in short supply at ABT.[/quote

If you're a supervisor in Tallahassee (which I doubt) then some agent needs to tell you where your ass is. How about this scenario supervisor:
we witness a violation of Florida law in our presence and you tell me (as a supervisor) not to act upon the violation. My response to you would be either put that in writing or (respectfully) blow it out your ass!

Do you realize you are law enforcement?! Why must you speak like this?! Is you self esteem really low?! Do you need help?! EAP is available and is widely used by ABT.

07-21-2008, 09:43 PM

I agree that ABT is in short supply of professionals. Once upon a time I too worked for Capt T., and he is a true professional...at all times.... regardless of what he is dealing with. So kudos to him for putting up with all the crap!

07-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Doesn't policy state that if the Chief is gone the Northern Region Major will be acting Chief, not the office Captain? So now the Chief is violating policy?

07-24-2008, 06:28 PM
The captain hates law enforcement, that's why he wants to change things.
He so professional he shoots civilians on the gun range.....what a joke!

07-24-2008, 08:10 PM
You know what is really amazing here, is you morons think one person really gives a shizzat about what you think or say here. No one is going to take away our title for starters. If they do, then we will be titled investigators which is a nice title as well. Either way, you still get a bloody pay check and get to put people in jail or whatever some of us do or don't do. Personally, I like to take people to jail when they need it. As far as our current title goes, we are a specialized agency like ICE, DEA, ATF, DEP, Etc. Federal, state or local if you are specialized then you are titled appropriately as Special Agent. FDLE is the only agency falsly using this title as they are not specialized but merely a broad investigative agency. But, who cares!!!! Title me fairy princess so long as the checks keep rolling in and I can continue making my own schedule. JASKASSES!!!

We are Law Enforcement Investigator IIs. Its that simple. We have made up so many other titles to call ourselves it is really crazy when you think about it.

07-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Read your post....now I think you see what is wrong with ABT.

07-24-2008, 10:26 PM

What a strong statement to make about anyone "the captain hates law enforcement." I find it hard to believe that he or anyone "hates" the profession they studied and work in. You are the one that should be ashamed especially calling yourself law enforcement. But we know who you are homo because you keep talking about the same old thing in the office. Give it a rest will you. If you have a problem with the captian call him and tell him quit talking about it do it. And the office is tired of hearing it too. Find a new subject will you or better yet find a new job.

07-25-2008, 02:40 AM

He is an excellent supervisor and I am pleased to have worked with him.

He's an idiot. PERIOD. Glad to see this pumpkin headed turd has nothing better to do.

07-25-2008, 04:31 AM
Pumkin Head never did anything good for the agents. He assisted the former administration in implementing policies in a manner contrary to the bargaining contract. He has no idea what a beverage case is. He can't shoot to save his life. Oh, and how professional can one look with his underwear showing?

07-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Pumkin Head never did anything good for the agents. He assisted the former administration in implementing policies in a manner contrary to the bargaining contract. He has no idea what a beverage case is. He can't shoot to save his life. Oh, and how professional can one look with his underwear showing?

Why were you looking at his underwear? Perv :oops:

07-25-2008, 07:26 PM
OK, ya got me...I walked right into that one. But in my defense, its's pretty hard not to notice. His pants are constantly falling due the fat covering his hips; his belt has nothing to hang onto.

07-25-2008, 11:49 PM
OK, ya got me...I walked right into that one. But in my defense, its's pretty hard not to notice. His pants are constantly falling due the fat covering his hips; his belt has nothing to hang onto.

There for a minute I thought you were talking about one of those hip hop MF's walking around with their pants 2-feet below their ass.

07-27-2008, 12:30 AM
y r so many problems generated by just 2 Tally kaptins?

07-27-2008, 01:04 AM
y r so many problems generated by just 2 Tally kaptins?

Cuz der a cuple a moronz!

07-29-2008, 11:45 PM

The guy is a douche. PERIOD!