PDA

View Full Version : Not 1, But 2 Cowboy Hats!

07-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Holy S***!! Come on - Embarrassing as it is w/ one cowboy hat, now command staff is giving us 2 cowboy hats to wear. One for class a (tan velvet) and the other for class b & c (wheat color straw).

The question now is the 2nd cowboy hat taking the place of ball caps? And, will you be required to wear them. Because, as always that was left out of the e-mail.

It is becoming more and more embarrassing to be a part of this outfit! Sinking fast!!

07-19-2008, 02:52 AM
:shock:

07-19-2008, 02:53 AM
:shock:

07-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Ball caps are still being made with the new badge on them.

07-19-2008, 10:25 PM
That's good news, if the info. is accurate.

07-19-2008, 11:50 PM
it you think this outfit is sinking and all you can do is complain then leave, pack your sorry good for nothing, do nothing ass up and leave.
we don't want you or need you.

07-20-2008, 12:00 AM
it you think this outfit is sinking and all you can do is complain then leave, pack your sorry good for nothing, do nothing ass up and leave.
we don't want you or need you.This is part of why our agency is sinking. Instead of working towards making improvements, we simply attack the ones that speak of the short comings. This did not work for the old GFC and it will not work with FWC. This comments only serve to make things even worse. People that make these types of comments are a big part of the problem. What would happen if the officers DID leave? Some of our very best officers have valid arguments about the condition of the agency.

07-20-2008, 12:24 AM
we don't want you or need you.This is part of why our agency is sinking. Instead of working towards making improvements, we simply attack the ones that speak of the short comings. This did not work for the old GFC and it will not work with FWC. This comments only serve to make things even worse. People that make these types of comments are a big part of the problem. What would happen if the officers DID leave? Some of our very best officers have valid arguments about the condition of the agency.Some of our best officers have already left.

07-20-2008, 12:49 AM
That's good news, if the info. is accurate.
Its accurate, call Superior Uniform if you don't believe me.

07-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Good! Just making sure one didn't have to wear their straw cowboy hat while on water patrol. But, it is sure going to be hilarious watching FWC at boat ramps in their ten gallons!

07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
we don't want you or need you.This is part of why our agency is sinking. Instead of working towards making improvements, we simply attack the ones that speak of the short comings. This did not work for the old GFC and it will not work with FWC. This comments only serve to make things even worse. People that make these types of comments are a big part of the problem. What would happen if the officers DID leave? Some of our very best officers have valid arguments about the condition of the agency.

get real, who in the he** would miss you anyway?

07-22-2008, 05:55 PM
If you think improving the agency with cowboy hats is an advancement, then maybe you should go out west too. It is an embarrassment! The colonel has a hat fetish: An Australian Tilley hat, and now two cowboy hats. Un-******* believable.

07-22-2008, 08:16 PM
The australian tilly hat would look even worse than a cowboy hat in a class b uniform.

07-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I just saw the video about our new identity. They want are feed back every step of the way. GET RIDE OF THE COWBOY HATS. It is very clear that nobody wants them. We are going to look like complete fools.

07-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Somebody in this agency is going to look alot like the Pat character on SNL with that hat.

07-23-2008, 01:01 AM
I just saw the video about our new identity. They want are feed back every step of the way. GET RIDE OF THE COWBOY HATS. It is very clear that nobody wants them. We are going to look like complete fools.

I may not like the cowboy hats but you appear to use the word "nobody" very quicky. You may be better served to say "I" or "people I have spoken to". I for one do not presume to know what other officers want. I believe I know what other officers prefer that I have spoken to but I personnaly am not in a position to speak for every officer in the agency. Just food for thought.

07-23-2008, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the lesson in proper writing. :roll: Idiot

07-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Instead of another lesson in proper grammer, I'll simply let you know how the people I have spoken to feel about the new hat.
My family actually thought I was kidding with them. They laughed out loud when I put it on. My kids wanted to take a picture, I refussed.
My five co workers all agree the hat makes us look like a joke.
We discussed the new hat and our short shorts.
I do not want to blame anyone for the hat mistake. I only hope that it will quickly be resolved. It may actually take someone in Tally to step in and call the hats back. The first time Ken H. takes a look at us in the hats he may make the call. Till then......"gitty up"

07-23-2008, 07:22 PM
My friend I hope you are right,but I doubt that you are. These Hats are staying. I can't believe that Ken Haddad has not seen the hat. You also have to look at the fact that his mainfocus is going to be on the long haired hippie's we call biologist. I must say, I am surprised that they are not wearing the hat, they must not know that we have them. I look at this way , its just a hat,we don't have to wear it. I know that is going to draw comments about it's people like me that drink the coolaid. But think about it, What da## difference does it really make? I don't like the hat, but it is what it is. Since I started with state, I have worn four different patches and three different badges. The job stayed the same. Some people say change is good, I am not one of them. I just got used to it. Just look back in the past,not to long ago. everyone was complaing about the seal,including me, now it seems like everyone is defending it. Atleast some thing is being done. I agree that the hat does not belong in florida, but the old dress hat looked like something out of a boy hardee cartoon,but when it was worn it was worn with pride. We wanted something to make us stand out,well we got it. Stick around long enough and you will see it change again. I am getting a pretty good collection of badges.

07-23-2008, 08:55 PM
I will get my first reprimand before I ever wear that god awful thing or seen in public wearing it!! Blue flu when ever we are mandated to wear it!
Go ahead and walk around the capital building wearing that hat, at least you will get noticed, but not for the right reasons. Tallahassee command staff should be embarrassed with their leadership or lack of!

07-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I just watched the video with the two colonels HOLDING the hat and badge. The colonels couldnt even wear them with pride. The colonel with the hat looked totally miserable and couldn't even put the hat on his head. What a joke. Lead by example. The were SOOOO convincing in that video. NOT

07-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Is the video on the DLE website?

07-25-2008, 12:29 AM
All the videos are on the new DLE member services site.

07-27-2008, 05:51 PM
I saw the new hat yesterday. All I can say is WOW! It truely brings home the stereotype of Fur, Fin and Feathers. It is unlike anything in Florida and gives the FWC a true game warden/ good ole' boy image.

But, that is probably what FWC wants. To be more closely associated with the rest of the wildlife officers, game wardens and rangers across the nation, and less like a law enforcement agency in Florida.....

It truly is sad that FWC has to look at other agencies to establish an image, as oppossed to drawing from it's own heritage of the previous FMP and GFC.......

YEEHAW!!!

07-28-2008, 12:29 AM
I saw the new hat yesterday. All I can say is WOW! It truely brings home the stereotype of Fur, Fin and Feathers. It is unlike anything in Florida and gives the FWC a true game warden/ good ole' boy image.

But, that is probably what FWC wants. To be more closely associated with the rest of the wildlife officers, game wardens and rangers across the nation, and less like a law enforcement agency in Florida.....

It truly is sad that FWC has to look at other agencies to establish an image, as oppossed to drawing from it's own heritage of the previous FMP and GFC.......

YEEHAW!!!

Think you are exactly right on w/ your thinking.

07-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Personally, I love the hat, and everyone I work with wears it when we can. Can't wait for the straw hat, I will wear it every day! We are going to have to get bigger vehicles though. It is difficult to get in and out with it on, and I have to lean a bit forward to drive with it on. I admit, I have gotten some funny looks, but when I'm dealing with the public, nobody dares laugh at it!

07-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Captain Mary "aka Pat" Sumner!!

07-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Do you mean Magnum Mary?

07-31-2008, 04:23 AM

Do you read what you type before sending it? Damn man...learn to spell!

07-31-2008, 04:25 AM

07-31-2008, 04:25 AM

07-31-2008, 07:42 PM

Do you read what you type before sending it? darn man...learn to spell! You could also learn to use capital letters to begin a sentence. Darn!

08-23-2008, 10:12 PM
So I'm just curoius? This doesn't directly concern me as I'm not in the field, but I attended a regional meeting in the region I worked and the officers were approached with the stetson and the campaign hat, and then voted on which one they wanted of the two. If this was the case in all regions, didn't the field officers choose this hat? Like I said I'm just curious to know if this occured in all regions or just the meeting I attended. :?: :wink:

08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
So I'm just curoius? This doesn't directly concern me as I'm not in the field, but I attended a regional meeting in the region I worked and the officers were approached with the stetson and the campaign hat, and then voted on which one they wanted of the two. If this was the case in all regions, didn't the field officers choose this hat? Like I said I'm just curious to know if this occured in all regions or just the meeting I attended. :?: :wink:
Yep
NW

08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
So I'm just curoius? This doesn't directly concern me as I'm not in the field, but I attended a regional meeting in the region I worked and the officers were approached with the stetson and the campaign hat, and then voted on which one they wanted of the two.* If this was the case in all regions, didn't the field officers choose this hat? Like I said I'm just curious to know if this occured in all regions or just the meeting I attended.* :?:** :wink:

Yes for the North Central also. I did not vote for it myself, but now that I have them they are kinda growing on me.

08-24-2008, 03:00 AM
So I'm just curoius? This doesn't directly concern me as I'm not in the field, but I attended a regional meeting in the region I worked and the officers were approached with the stetson and the campaign hat, and then voted on which one they wanted of the two.* If this was the case in all regions, didn't the field officers choose this hat? Like I said I'm just curious to know if this occured in all regions or just the meeting I attended.* :?:** :wink:

Yes for the North Central also. I did not vote for it myself, but now that I have them they are kinda growing on me.

Not in the South or Southwest regions.

rickjames
08-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Just my opinion, but I rather like our choice of headgear,now I have a nice felt hat, a nice straw hat, a ballcap, a Tilley hat and a knit watchcap. So I have a choice of what I want to wear on any given day.I like choices.

08-24-2008, 01:26 PM

Not in the South or Southwest regions.

Yet moe disinformation being spread.
SW was the first Region to vote. South voting was done by Captains area meetings.
The felt hat won by a margin of 2.7 to one.
Get over it and move on!

08-24-2008, 01:45 PM
The SW did get to vote. It was a fixed election they put the cowboy hat against some black felt campaign hat that looked just as ridiculous. We should have just stayed with the stetson that both agencies wore previous. That election was a joke. :snicker:

08-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the relies, and again I was just curious! :D

08-24-2008, 02:20 PM
that would be replies! :oops:

08-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Oh home on the range
Where the gators and the rattlers play
Oh show me.....
You know the rest.
Wellcome to Yee-Haaaa

08-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Them pretty miami vice boys down south with the slick hair look good in them cowboy hats.

09-10-2008, 11:33 PM
So how many are actually wearing their new duds?

09-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I wore my straw hat into a local buisness and the people inside immediately starting laughing OUT LOUD when I walked through the door. They thought I was joking around with the hat on my head! Then they apologized for laughing at me. What does this say for the hat?

09-12-2008, 02:01 PM
OMG, enough about the hats already. I am not here to give the same old arguement about wear or don't wear it. That salution should be self explanitory. What happened to having enough guts to be who you are ? All of us have caught crap about who we work for and what we are wearing or have wore in the past. I remeber when the FMP changed the state seal on the badge to the state and anchore. Everyone thought that was the begining of the end. IT BECAME A BADGE OF HONOR. It identified us. These hats are going to identify us, sure they are not what everybody wanted,change does suck. I am used to it. We wanted to be recognized,we are now. Think about the first guy who put the old GFC patch on and went to work. Do you think he didn't catch any crap, bet he did. Before that patch was gone,everyone in the state knew what he was and respected it. The same goes for us that was in the FMP. The officers before us, reached down and found a set and made it known who they were. That is what lies ahead of us. I dont like the hat,but I do like the idea that when someone see's it, they are going to know who I am and what I do. It is up to us to get the respect. If we do our jobs, it wont take long. LooK at FHP, they wear a fruit for a law enforcement patch(not picking on you guys). They get the respect because everyone knows what that orange on thear sleeve is all about. Everyone confuses us with dog catchers and park rangers and so on. because our uniforms look simular. put that hat on and they are going to know the difference. I know what everone is saying, all the other agencies are laughing at us. Be honost,how many of you have been pulled aside and asked how to get on, you guys have the greatest job in the world. Or, I tried to get on ,but couldn,t pass the P.T. or the entrance exams. Most of the off color comments are no more then jelousy. We are Law Enforcement Officers.We are suspossed to be confident. If you are, then it don't matter what you are wearing. I will step off the soap box now. let the critisizm of the spelling begin

09-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Very well stated! It's who is behind the badge and under the hat that establishes our identity!!

09-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I have heard I would love to do what you do. Then in the same breath they say "but I couldn't take the pay cut, I make more a wal-mart and I don't have to wear a silly hat."

09-13-2008, 01:20 AM
OMG, enough about the hats already. I am not here to give the same old arguement about wear or don't wear it. That salution should be self explanitory. What happened to having enough guts to be who you are ? All of us have caught crap about who we work for and what we are wearing or have wore in the past. I remeber when the FMP changed the state seal on the badge to the state and anchore. Everyone thought that was the begining of the end. IT BECAME A BADGE OF HONOR. It identified us. These hats are going to identify us, sure they are not what everybody wanted,change does suck. I am used to it. We wanted to be recognized,we are now. Think about the first guy who put the old GFC patch on and went to work. Do you think he didn't catch any crap, bet he did. Before that patch was gone,everyone in the state knew what he was and respected it. The same goes for us that was in the FMP. The officers before us, reached down and found a set and made it known who they were. That is what lies ahead of us. I dont like the hat,but I do like the idea that when someone see's it, they are going to know who I am and what I do. It is up to us to get the respect. If we do our jobs, it wont take long. LooK at FHP, they wear a fruit for a law enforcement patch(not picking on you guys). They get the respect because everyone knows what that orange on thear sleeve is all about. Everyone confuses us with dog catchers and park rangers and so on. because our uniforms look simular. put that hat on and they are going to know the difference. I know what everone is saying, all the other agencies are laughing at us. Be honost,how many of you have been pulled aside and asked how to get on, you guys have the greatest job in the world. Or, I tried to get on ,but couldn,t pass the P.T. or the entrance exams. Most of the off color comments are no more then jelousy. We are Law Enforcement Officers.We are suspossed to be confident. If you are, then it don't matter what you are wearing. I will step off the soap box now. let the critisizm of the spelling begin

Well said brother! I'm old FMP, and agree 100% that identity is what you make of it. I think the hat is an excellent start toward FWC officers being immediately identified by all Floridians. But, it will take time.

09-13-2008, 04:20 AM
OMG, enough about the hats already. I am not here to give the same old arguement about wear or don't wear it. That salution should be self explanitory. What happened to having enough guts to be who you are ? All of us have caught crap about who we work for and what we are wearing or have wore in the past. I remeber when the FMP changed the state seal on the badge to the state and anchore. Everyone thought that was the begining of the end. IT BECAME A BADGE OF HONOR. It identified us. These hats are going to identify us, sure they are not what everybody wanted,change does suck. I am used to it. We wanted to be recognized,we are now. Think about the first guy who put the old GFC patch on and went to work. Do you think he didn't catch any crap, bet he did. Before that patch was gone,everyone in the state knew what he was and respected it. The same goes for us that was in the FMP. The officers before us, reached down and found a set and made it known who they were. That is what lies ahead of us. I dont like the hat,but I do like the idea that when someone see's it, they are going to know who I am and what I do. It is up to us to get the respect. If we do our jobs, it wont take long. LooK at FHP, they wear a fruit for a law enforcement patch(not picking on you guys). They get the respect because everyone knows what that orange on thear sleeve is all about. Everyone confuses us with dog catchers and park rangers and so on. because our uniforms look simular. put that hat on and they are going to know the difference. I know what everone is saying, all the other agencies are laughing at us. Be honost,how many of you have been pulled aside and asked how to get on, you guys have the greatest job in the world. Or, I tried to get on ,but couldn,t pass the P.T. or the entrance exams. Most of the off color comments are no more then jelousy. We are Law Enforcement Officers.We are suspossed to be confident. If you are, then it don't matter what you are wearing. I will step off the soap box now. let they critisizm of the spelling begin

Well said brother! I'm old FMP, and agree 100% that identity is what you make of it. I think the hat is an excellent start toward FWC officers being immediately identified by all Floridians. But, it will take time.

We could also try out a skunkape costume or maybe a pirate's eye patch. The hat is rediculous and does makes its harder to garner respect. Even Tallahasse has realised this and are now taking the hats in to have them trimmed down because they look so huge. We do have the best job in all of law enforcement most that leave have found it impossible to afford to stay. That said, our image is getting ruined by trying to look like cowboys from a different era and state. If you want respect you have to look like you belong there in the first place. Level 1 threat matrix, looking like Barney Fife won't get it.

09-14-2008, 06:05 PM
OMG, enough about the hats already. I am not here to give the same old arguement about wear or don't wear it. That salution should be self explanitory. What happened to having enough guts to be who you are ? All of us have caught crap about who we work for and what we are wearing or have wore in the past. I remeber when the FMP changed the state seal on the badge to the state and anchore. Everyone thought that was the begining of the end. IT BECAME A BADGE OF HONOR. It identified us. These hats are going to identify us, sure they are not what everybody wanted,change does suck. I am used to it. We wanted to be recognized,we are now. Think about the first guy who put the old GFC patch on and went to work. Do you think he didn't catch any crap, bet he did. Before that patch was gone,everyone in the state knew what he was and respected it. The same goes for us that was in the FMP. The officers before us, reached down and found a set and made it known who they were. That is what lies ahead of us. I dont like the hat,but I do like the idea that when someone see's it, they are going to know who I am and what I do. It is up to us to get the respect. If we do our jobs, it wont take long. LooK at FHP, they wear a fruit for a law enforcement patch(not picking on you guys). They get the respect because everyone knows what that orange on thear sleeve is all about. Everyone confuses us with dog catchers and park rangers and so on. because our uniforms look simular. put that hat on and they are going to know the difference. I know what everone is saying, all the other agencies are laughing at us. Be honost,how many of you have been pulled aside and asked how to get on, you guys have the greatest job in the world. Or, I tried to get on ,but couldn,t pass the P.T. or the entrance exams. Most of the off color comments are no more then jelousy. We are Law Enforcement Officers.We are suspossed to be confident. If you are, then it don't matter what you are wearing. I will step off the soap box now. let they critisizm of the spelling begin

We could also try out a skunkape costume or maybe a pirate's eye patch. The hat is rediculous and does makes its harder to garner respect. Even Tallahasse has realised this and are now taking the hats in to have them trimmed down because they look so huge. We do have the best job in all of law enforcement most that leave have found it impossible to afford to stay. That said, our image is getting ruined by trying to look like cowboys from a different era and state. If you want respect you have to look like you belong there in the first place. Level 1 threat matrix, looking like Barney Fife won't get it.

Dear Barney,

Face it. You and the other "hat whiners" just dont have enough testosterone to pull off wearing a western hat. Some people look stupid no matter whats on their head.

Tell Goober and Gomer I said hello.

09-14-2008, 08:46 PM

Dear Barney,

Face it. You and the other "hat whiners" just dont have enough testosterone to pull off wearing a western hat. Some people look stupid no matter whats on their head.

Tell Goober and Gomer I said hello.

Everyone looks DUMD in a cowboy hat. There was a small fad in the late 90's after 8 seconds came out where they made a small appearnce, but like the wide bottom jeans they to went away.

09-16-2008, 01:02 AM
I saw the a few FWC officers in full dress uniforms the other day with those hats on. Wow, that is sad! That is the worst looking hat I have ever seen in Law Enforcement. We all could not believe it. Who in the hecks idea was that? Oh well, I have a campaign cover and I am happy. Stay safe...............

09-16-2008, 02:03 AM
Those in the head shed have heard enough from the field and other places to now know what a mistake that stupid hat was. Now they have decided to spend even more money that could have been better spent to have the hats custom altered. We were asked to turn ours in to have the sombrero-like brim trimmed to a more reasonable size. With the money wasted on a hat we may only wear a cfew times in our career we could have bought new tactical boots for all of the officers.

09-16-2008, 02:12 AM
Would fit right in in Texas, but guess what--we're not in TEXAS!!

09-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Not sure what all the fuss is about the hat, I like mine.

09-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Them pretty miami vice boys down south with the slick hair look good in them cowboy hats.
I think it is awesome they included a coke mirror in my hat box. Now all I need is a straw, I'd use a $20 but the baby needs milk.

rickjames
09-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I like it because it makes me look tall, like modern day Gary cooper

09-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I like it because it makes me look tall, like modern day Gary cooper

ARE YOU JOHN WAYNE, IS THIS ME????

rickjames
09-25-2008, 12:41 AM
The Duke Is an American Icon and person worth emulating!