PDA

View Full Version : Hiring some time in the next decade?

07-17-2008, 05:50 PM
hey guys...Just a simple question here...I went in for an oral board back in May, and I was informed that I would hear something within 2 weeks, either by phone to go on to the next step in the hiring phase or by mail, thanking me for my time but telling me I'm not what they are looking for...And here we are 2 months later and I haven't heard a peep from anyone, or received anything in the mail. I tried to contact the office but was told that they couldn't tell me anything other than, "it's very competitive" They wouldn't even tell me if they were still interviewing applicants. SO my question to you is, what the H#LL is going on with this agency? I thought I would have heard something, anything on the status of my application. From what I can see from previous topics, it doesn't look like hiring is going to be happening any time soon. I just thought I'd ask because the 2 weeks when I should hear a decision is rapidly approaching hahaha...Be safe guys

07-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Join the crowd.

07-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Your guess is as good as mine and I work here!! Hiring for the main Department (Tampa), according to the USF website is finished. St Pete apparently still has openings.

In my opinion, this place is officially in limbo right now. I would not like to be the last guy hired right now. USF is claiming all sorts of money problems and I really don't think , even though they say it would never happen, that layoffs are out of the question.

07-18-2008, 05:33 AM
I think St.Pete is in the same boat as Tampa

07-18-2008, 07:16 AM
hey guys...Just a simple question here...I went in for an oral board back in May, and I was informed that I would hear something within 2 weeks, either by phone to go on to the next step in the hiring phase or by mail, thanking me for my time but telling me I'm not what they are looking for...And here we are 2 months later and I haven't heard a peep from anyone, or received anything in the mail. I tried to contact the office but was told that they couldn't tell me anything other than, "it's very competitive" They wouldn't even tell me if they were still interviewing applicants. SO my question to you is, what the H#LL is going on with this agency? I thought I would have heard something, anything on the status of my application. From what I can see from previous topics, it doesn't look like hiring is going to be happening any time soon. I just thought I'd ask because the 2 weeks when I should hear a decision is rapidly approaching hahaha...Be safe guys

there is no telling what is going on. maybe by coming in to do a "ride-along" someone will be able to connect you to the "man behind the curtain" with all the answers. I don't even know who is in charge of organizing the hiring process right now; The admin area has lost two persons recently.

07-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Doing a "ride-a-long" isn't going to give you any insight on whats going on with the hiring process. It's all about the budget whether you get hired or not, if they choose you to be hired.

07-18-2008, 02:36 PM
I will tell you my experience, I have more than enough training, left a Florida agency ref a move... years of street experience, 4 yr degree, with commendations and letters that can fill a large binder... was interviewed... and everything came to a screaching halt.. no answers on why.. just rumor of "budget" .. and you wonder why quality.. talented people with exprience go elsewhere ! A little courtesy goes a long ways.. even if not selecetd for "budget reasons" how about do the right thing and tell someone instead of leaving everyone hanging! Especially for 38,000.00 a year !

07-20-2008, 08:22 AM
You were picked as the best applicant. Call Roto Ruter on Monday. We have a manned position for our new crapper! 1 day on 2 off. :lol:

07-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Take not being called back as a blessing. Go apply to a real department.

07-31-2008, 05:08 PM
I have read the forums and have read the hiring information. I am a guy that retired young, I am 40, and I am looking to keep a career as an officer in Florida. Do you accept retirees that have a lot of knowledge about the job, or would I be joining a department full of young cops lookig for the big arrest? I still very motivated to keep working, but not on a rookie level, writing parking tickets and hounding for the next misdemanor arrest/stasts. Thanks.

07-31-2008, 06:11 PM
No not really, only looking for younger officers excited about the job, that will produce some arrest stats. Apply elsewhere.

07-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Go look elsewhere, I had many years experience, could bring many new ideas to the agency. Welcomed the change from a real working PD in the ghetto. Looking for a change after retiring also, but after waiting... and waiting... they froze positions. For $ 38,000.00 you can do much better. Look at it as there loss. The Chief is a good guy, but his hands are tied! Look at some State Inv jobs. They have to hire by end of Sept. Not FDLE frozen, but Insurance, AG's, and DEP... Good Luck!

07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
By the way GUEST.. that remark will get your agency sued. It appears that officers with many years experince, a proven track record for many, many major crimes arrests, and can probably run circles around the younger officers .. is the standard at your agency. I know several retirees who have worked hard, working hard at other agencies today, and love to put real criminals in jail daily. But your agency wont hire them. That is obvious.. they hire only YOUNG officers ! Something they better be careful about defending in a discrimination suit!

08-01-2008, 03:37 PM
By the way GUEST.. that remark will get your agency sued. It appears that officers with many years experince, a proven track record for many, many major crimes arrests, and can probably run circles around the younger officers .. is the standard at your agency. I know several retirees who have worked hard, working hard at other agencies today, and love to put real criminals in jail daily. But your agency wont hire them. That is obvious.. they hire only YOUNG officers ! Something they better be careful about defending in a discrimination suit!

That's bull$hit! We have hired several retirees in the past year or so who are doing a great job with us. We would love to hire more but for some reason most of them come to the interview acting like know it alls and giving the impression that they will show us how to do our job. You have to admit you wouldnt hire someone like that either. They may have seen more crime than us but our brand of policing is different and some personalities just dont "fit" here. The civilians we have on the oral boards feel the same way, and they dont even work in the PD. If you dont get past the initial interview, then you really belong somplace else! Years of experience does not ENTITLE you to a job here!

It is amazing how many come to interview who dont bother to learn anything about USF or the PD. All they seem to know is that they want a job (maybe that is why they need one?) and if they have experience they often shine their a$$. Try learning about us and then find out something about campus policing because it is different. Maybe then you will get what you want, just like anyplace else.

08-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Nice reply, but it doesnt cut it. USFPD doesnt want to change !

08-02-2008, 11:34 AM
WELL ACCORDING TO MY LAST SQUAD BRIEFING WE WERE TOLD BY OUR SGT. THAT WE ARE NOW ON A HIRING FREEZE DO TO THE BUDGET. THE LAST NEW OFFICER STARTS THIS WEEK.

08-06-2008, 01:46 AM
USF gave 0, thats ZERO funds, for the Police Department Budget. We are using money from 4 unfilled positions to provide a Police Budget. All hiring for now is finished.

08-06-2008, 12:41 PM
USF Police deserve what you get. Most of you are so hungry for police action you tend to escalate a situation, instead of de-escalate. Furthermore, you spend too much money on tactical equipment and training you can't afford more important items. Remember, you have TPD as your big brother who will have a faster response and a pool of real experience. Spend the tactical money on one or two drug/search K-9 and do more proactive crime prevention programs. Forget about getting the same pay as HCSO, TPD and TTPD because they work harder than you !!! Relax and enjoy the nice environment you work in and if you do not like it then go apply at a "real" Police Department.

08-07-2008, 02:31 PM
USF Police deserve what you get. Most of you are so hungry for police action you tend to escalate a situation, instead of de-escalate. Furthermore, you spend too much money on tactical equipment and training you can't afford more important items. Remember, you have TPD as your big brother who will have a faster response and a pool of real experience. Spend the tactical money on one or two drug/search K-9 and do more proactive crime prevention programs. Forget about getting the same pay as HCSO, TPD and TTPD because they work harder than you !!! Relax and enjoy the nice environment you work in and if you do not like it then go apply at a "real" Police Department.

Oh my, YOU again! Why don't you stop your WHINING about the work our department does and count yourself lucky you still work here. We know who you are and what you are trying to do. If you don't want to be a cop, then go back where you came from and pick STRAWBERRIES!

If that is too hard for you then maybe Allied Barton can use another door unlocker.

08-07-2008, 08:22 PM
No money. This should not be a surprise to anyone, I'm not shocked at all.

08-08-2008, 05:44 AM
Consiser yourself lucky, they got the bottom of the barrel in people skills when they promoted you!

08-31-2008, 03:36 AM
Any word on the hiring?

08-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Any word on the hiring?

From what we hear the only money we have for our budget is the unfilled positions pay line. No openings for now as far as I can see .