PDA

View Full Version : Pensionable Earnings

07-14-2008, 12:23 AM
A Miami "potted plant," masquerading as a police officer, posted this comment in their forum in response to a decidedly one way debate with B-4-L. Can anyone in the know reply? This seems highly unlikely and even violative of FSS 112, county ordinance and PBA contract. I doubt it, for if it were somewhat near the truth, the PBA would be one it like Africanized Bees, and it would have hit the news big time!

"If you had any brains you would understand that I am not talking about the Florida Retirement System (FRS). I am however talking about the changes that is going to be mad on the pensioning of your overtime and details. I heard it out of one of your commissioners mouth at dinner a few weeks ago. Get ready you wannabe opnipotent *******o!"

Sadly, this is an example of what passes as police officers at the once celebrated Miami Police Department. Institutional decay is such a pernicious malady! This person clearly does not understand that in an FRS agency, all earnings -- whether on-duty or not -- are pensionable!

07-14-2008, 08:01 AM
A Miami "potted plant," masquerading as a police officer, posted this comment in their forum in response to a decidedly one way debate with B-4-L. Can anyone in the know reply? This seems highly unlikely and even violative of FSS 112, county ordinance and PBA contract. I doubt it, for if it were somewhat near the truth, the PBA would be one it like Africanized Bees, and it would have hit the news big time!

"If you had any brains you would understand that I am not talking about the Florida Retirement System (FRS). I am however talking about the changes that is going to be mad on the pensioning of your overtime and details. I heard it out of one of your commissioners mouth at dinner a few weeks ago. Get ready you wannabe opnipotent *******o!"

Sadly, this is an example of what passes as police officers at the once celebrated Miami Police Department. Institutional decay is such a pernicious malady! This person clearly does not understand that in an FRS agency, all earnings -- whether on-duty or not -- are pensionable!

My friend, I believe what is trying to be said by the brother at MPD is that there are changes being looked at for new entries into the FRS system. Since most member fleece the system by working large amounts of overtime close to their retirement time to acheive a higher percentage. It may not affect you, but will future hires. This is due in large to the cost of big government and the projected payout scale in years to come for members. I too have money at stake in FRS, but won't collect it until 55. Right now, however, I am currently working on my 1% money here at MPD. Along with my 401k, my IRA, and my 7 year drop. Hopefully, when I have concluded I will have about 1.5 to 2 million ready for a good retirement. Then I can collect my FRS money to spend on the strippers! LOL

07-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Any salary earned from off-duty work only counts towards your FRS pension if your agency pays the required percentage to the fund. Some agencies do, some don't.

08-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Say goodbye to this benefit. You are definitely losing it!