PDA

View Full Version : Special Detail Assignments

07-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Are there any of you who have the opinion that anyone who ranks sergeant or above should NOT have the same privileges in signing up for overtime as those who are not ranked? It seems that more and more members of rank are being assigned overtime when they make more money in the first place.

Lonewolf1
07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Well Slick, I agree that first priority for special duty assignments should go to the officers, sergeants second, and lieutenants not all all unless it is a detail of 20 officers or more.

Having been a sergeant I always felt you should take care of the troops doing the work first. Something that has long since been forgotten at LPD, especially by the buffoons on the 3rd floor.

07-15-2008, 03:38 PM
You are absolutely right Lonewolf1. Most agencies do not allow supervisors (not to mention LT's or Capt's) to steal extra-duty detail money from their officers. There are supervisor sig 15 details for them; not as many, but that's how it goes...they are supervisors and it is a part of the job. However, if a job goes unfilled by a certain date, a supervisor can take the detail.

I mean really........how much does a Sgt, Lt, or even Capt. make??? And they are taking an officers flat rate $24 an hour job from him/her......shame on you!

07-16-2008, 02:25 AM
I have to say that I agree on this one. OT details should be for officers only. We are paid the least on the food chain. A topped out (with the recent raise) sergeant makes $31.00+ and hour and a topped out Lieutenant make $37.00+ an hour. Respectively, annually a topped out SGT makes $67,704 +/- and a LT makes $80,808 +/-.

07-16-2008, 02:25 AM
I have to say that I agree on this one. OT details should be for officers only. We are paid the least on the food chain. A topped out (with the recent raise) sergeant makes $31.00+ and hour and a topped out Lieutenant make $37.00+ an hour. Respectively, annually a topped out SGT makes $67,704 +/- and a LT makes $80,808 +/-.

07-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I have to agree wholeheartedly with this post. As an officer, I cannot seem to get a detail, unless I want to work Club Kathleen. But when you look at the assigned officers, there are all these Lieutenants and Sergeants signed up. Details are necessary for some of us just to make ends meet. Yet, they are being hogged up by supervisors and above. Isn't part of the "perks" of being a supervisor the higher pay? Then why are they taking the pay opportunities from the rest of us with the lower pay? I agree with seniority, however, I think it should be seniority for officers first, then whatever is left over for supervisors, or unless the detail calls for a supervisor.

ABANDONED
07-22-2008, 07:36 PM
If I could be an Officer I would......but guys, try being a PSA. No overtime ever, no special traffic details (save the parades) and after about 6-7 years of service the pay is about $16.00/hr. For a one income household it hurts. I pray everyday our civilian positions are not cut, I love what I do and can't imagine not supporting patrol.

That being said, I love my patrol Officers and would do anything for them!

Stay safe!