PDA

View Full Version : ABT in the NEWS

07-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Interseting article found in today's edition of the Tallahassee Democrat.

July 4, 2008

Accusations, investigations mark Jefferson sheriff's race

By Jim Ash
FLORIDA CAPITAL BUREAU CHIEF

Allegations of a shakedown by state liquor agents, an angry sheriff calling for an internal investigation of his political opponent, pages of inspector general reports.

It's just another election season in rural Jefferson County, where the gently-rolling terrain is lush, the watermelon queen is just beginning her reign and a tough election struggle has erupted for control of the 60-member sheriff's department and its $3.1 million budget.

"I never would have expected this race to get this dirty," said Capt. Ron Cave, a veteran officer with the state Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco and a Democrat who hopes to unseat Sheriff David Hobbs in the Aug. 26 primary.

When he opened his campaign account in January, Cave had no idea that he would be investigated — and cleared — by his own agency and a local prosecutor of accusations that he ordered a liquor sting against a local business owner who declined to support him.

Neither did he know a fellow beverage agent and supporter would have his state computer scoured by department technicians to see if he was on duty and improperly using state equipment when he sent a blistering campaign e-mail to a handful of friends.

The same inspector general of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation who cleared Cave of any wrongdoing in the liquor sting also concluded that his friend, Agent Charles Bryan, was off duty and using a personal computer when he sent the e-mail.

Bad blood

The trouble started in March when Hobbs saw a copy of Bryan's e-mail screed.

It accuses Hobbs, among other things, of encouraging deputies to "ride around and wave or do nothing at all unless absolutely necessary." Bryan once served as deputy under Hobbs and acknowledges there is bad blood between them.

Hobbs acknowledges that when he saw a copy of the e-mail he picked up the phone and called the beverage agents' superior officer. Hobbs said he merely wanted the department to know what their agents were up to.

The e-mail was a pack of lies, Hobbs said.

"I was trying to make them aware of the conduct of a fellow officer," Hobbs said. "If it was my department, I would sure want to know whether he was on duty and using my computer."

Hobbs denies having anything to do with the second investigation involving the alcohol sting.

'All a coincidence'

According to the inspector general's report, Cave drove to W.T. Grant's Automotive Center on the morning of April 15 and asked Grant to support his campaign. Owner Bill Grant declined.

A short time later, Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco agents conducted a routine survey of the store, using an under-age informant to illegally purchase alcohol. A clerk who took the bait was arrested and given a summons to appear in court.

Cave was on sick leave that day and had been excused from supervising any investigations involving Jefferson County when he launched his campaign. He said he returned to the store to assure Grant that the sting was not related to his campaign request.

Shortly after, an unknown person approached Assistant State Attorney John Fuchs and asked him to investigate. Fuchs began an inquiry but quickly concluded that there was nothing to the charges.

"I started it and stopped it in a hurry," he said. "It was obvious it was all a coincidence."

Fuchs said there is no case file and he declined to say who filed the complaint.

"I can tell you the complaint did not come from the sheriff, or anybody in the sheriff's office," he said.

'Small town'

The Department of Business and Professional Regulation launched its investigation when Fuchs requested an interview with the agents involved in the sting.

The agents told investigators that they were conducting a series of stings in Jefferson County that day and that Cave had nothing to do with the planning or the operation.

Grant said he has no hard feelings and doesn't think Cave did anything improper.

After observing countless campaigns since he opened his business in 1992, Grant says he's learned not to risk offending his customers by letting politicians hang signs at his shop.

"It's a small town," he said. "Everyone knows everyone."

07-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Interseting article found in today's edition of the Tallahassee Democrat.

July 4, 2008

Accusations, investigations mark Jefferson sheriff's race

By Jim Ash
FLORIDA CAPITAL BUREAU CHIEF

Allegations of a shakedown by state liquor agents, an angry sheriff calling for an internal investigation of his political opponent, pages of inspector general reports.

It's just another election season in rural Jefferson County, where the gently-rolling terrain is lush, the watermelon queen is just beginning her reign and a tough election struggle has erupted for control of the 60-member sheriff's department and its $3.1 million budget.

"I never would have expected this race to get this dirty," said Capt. Ron Cave, a veteran officer with the state Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco and a Democrat who hopes to unseat Sheriff David Hobbs in the Aug. 26 primary.

When he opened his campaign account in January, Cave had no idea that he would be investigated — and cleared — by his own agency and a local prosecutor of accusations that he ordered a liquor sting against a local business owner who declined to support him.

Neither did he know a fellow beverage agent and supporter would have his state computer scoured by department technicians to see if he was on duty and improperly using state equipment when he sent a blistering campaign e-mail to a handful of friends.

The same inspector general of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation who cleared Cave of any wrongdoing in the liquor sting also concluded that his friend, Agent Charles Bryan, was off duty and using a personal computer when he sent the e-mail.

Bad blood

The trouble started in March when Hobbs saw a copy of Bryan's e-mail screed.

It accuses Hobbs, among other things, of encouraging deputies to "ride around and wave or do nothing at all unless absolutely necessary." Bryan once served as deputy under Hobbs and acknowledges there is bad blood between them.

Hobbs acknowledges that when he saw a copy of the e-mail he picked up the phone and called the beverage agents' superior officer. Hobbs said he merely wanted the department to know what their agents were up to.

The e-mail was a pack of lies, Hobbs said.

"I was trying to make them aware of the conduct of a fellow officer," Hobbs said. "If it was my department, I would sure want to know whether he was on duty and using my computer."

Hobbs denies having anything to do with the second investigation involving the alcohol sting.

'All a coincidence'

According to the inspector general's report, Cave drove to W.T. Grant's Automotive Center on the morning of April 15 and asked Grant to support his campaign. Owner Bill Grant declined.

A short time later, Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco agents conducted a routine survey of the store, using an under-age informant to illegally purchase alcohol. A clerk who took the bait was arrested and given a summons to appear in court.

Cave was on sick leave that day and had been excused from supervising any investigations involving Jefferson County when he launched his campaign. He said he returned to the store to assure Grant that the sting was not related to his campaign request.

Shortly after, an unknown person approached Assistant State Attorney John Fuchs and asked him to investigate. Fuchs began an inquiry but quickly concluded that there was nothing to the charges.

"I started it and stopped it in a hurry," he said. "It was obvious it was all a coincidence."

Fuchs said there is no case file and he declined to say who filed the complaint.

"I can tell you the complaint did not come from the sheriff, or anybody in the sheriff's office," he said.

'Small town'

The Department of Business and Professional Regulation launched its investigation when Fuchs requested an interview with the agents involved in the sting.

The agents told investigators that they were conducting a series of stings in Jefferson County that day and that Cave had nothing to do with the planning or the operation.

Grant said he has no hard feelings and doesn't think Cave did anything improper.

After observing countless campaigns since he opened his business in 1992, Grant says he's learned not to risk offending his customers by letting politicians hang signs at his shop.

"It's a small town," he said. "Everyone knows everyone."

Small town (and county) politics. Sad, isn't it? The High Sheriff calls Cave's supervisor? What happened to men calling men? These are two people who know each other. I would like to think the chief law enforcement officer in Jefferson County would have been man enough to call Cave to discuss the alleged issues, but this article states otherwise..Makes the sheriff look like a petty little man.

07-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Cave "a veteran agent" what a laugh! After 4 years on the job, the great one has asked the people he supervises to take him out and teach him how to do inspections and surveys. He's a captain and doesn't even know the job....let's all hope he gets sheriff so we can get him out of ABT...maybe he'll take the other one with him (CT). ABT could not get that lucky!

07-05-2008, 03:42 AM
Please...Please.....Please tell me your kidding me. This guy actually had the gall to ask you guys to teach him how to do a basic core function of your job? Just wondering.

07-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Please...Please.....Please tell me your kidding me. This guy actually had the gall to ask you guys to teach him how to do a basic core function of your job? Just wondering.

What is it to learn? really........

07-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Veteran!? He's a veteran arse kisser is all he's a veteran at! What a complete idiot!!

07-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Veteran!? He's a veteran arse kisser is all he's a veteran at! What a complete idiot!!

And just think...most think the 8 of us writing back and forth on this silly blog are the idiots. And in away, I guess we are being we have nothing better in our lives to do but make fun of others. And that is what I have been doing. I guess in away I am a little jealous as you are my friend. So with that said this is my last post on LEO affairs. I guess this will leave 7 writing back and forth now....unless you do what I did last night...and find JESUS. Yes JESUS came into my life and told me that me and the 7 other DEVILS had to change. So let that serpent go my friend...change...change your sad life as I did last night. Everything is good. We have legs and arms and full stomachs. Find JESUS! Drop to your knees right now and find JESUS! Repeat JESUS I am sorry my lord for all the namecalling and talking ill of others and their accomplishments. Find me oh great one....OH JESUS help me for I have strayed. JESUS...JESUS find me...come into my life and heal me.

07-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Like it or not dumass...he is a veteran, especially in AB&T years. And for the record if I was his rank making what he makes you could call me a idiot all day and night - idiot.

07-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Find Jesus! Invite JESUS into your life!

07-09-2008, 02:19 AM

And just think...most think the 8 of us writing back and forth on this silly blog are the idiots. And in away, I guess we are being we have nothing better in our lives to do but make fun of others. And that is what I have been doing. I guess in away I am a little jealous as you are my friend. So with that said this is my last post on LEO affairs. I guess this will leave 7 writing back and forth now....unless you do what I did last night...and find JESUS. Yes JESUS came into my life and told me that me and the 7 other DEVILS had to change. So let that serpent go my friend...change...change your sad life as I did last night. Everything is good. We have legs and arms and full stomachs. Find JESUS! Drop to your knees right now and find JESUS! Repeat JESUS I am sorry my lord for all the namecalling and talking ill of others and their accomplishments. Find me oh great one....OH JESUS help me for I have strayed. JESUS...JESUS find me...come into my life and heal me.

Jesus told me Cave is a douche bag.

07-09-2008, 12:33 PM

Like it or not dumass...he is a veteran, especially in AB&T years. And for the record if I was his rank making what he makes you could call me a idiot all day and night - idiot.

Okay, thanks for that RC and/or CT

07-09-2008, 09:13 PM

they are some mother ****ers you domb **** bithches

07-09-2008, 11:40 PM

Actually it was me.

Love,
Mom

07-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Don't forget about little Charlie B and all the hard work he has done for the campaign. Hopefully little Charlie B will get a reach around from daddy Ron and get a big ole job in Jeff Co when his daddy gets to be the ultimate high sheriff. The people here in Orlando and all the workers at Disney are pulling for you Charlie B.