PDA

View Full Version : Should i Stay or Join you guys?

The Future
07-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I was wondering how FDLE is doing in general. I love being a police officer and love my job but administratively My department sucks its all about stats!!! Our specialized units are made up of the administrations buddies, Brass don't have experience, and Police work just doesn't feel like police work anymore wit the way things are going.

Our pay is good around 46k start
Unlimited off-duties
Unlimited Overtime (Only if your in a specialized unit unfortunately im not)
Nice pay step increases
Great retirement with 1% a 401k comp plan and a few other perks
Take home vehicles are a GOD SENT but who knows we might lose that too

But honestly is it worth selling your soul to slave labor with the stress from administration and the fact that you need to know someone to get around worth it?

What is it like on the other side of the fence?

Is it Mostly investigations or are there street details?
How is the starting pay and what can you Max at?
Take Home cars?
Off duties?
Can you pick what area you work (like I want to work south Florida)
What's the job security there?
How's your retirement (im guessing its the state pension program which im not a fan of)
FOP or PBA? i like fop but i think you got PBA from the looks of it

I'm just wondering to get an idea on what I want to do for my future. Im still young im 22 with 3 years of law enforcement under my belt. Thank you

07-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Stay where you are. The State of Florida used to be the place to go for the $$$$. That is no longer the case. There is no step pay plan. No real overtime. There is a take home car, but don't think that comes with unlimited use. This is an investigative agency, not a first response "street" agency. Good security for now. You will not live long enough to "max out." If you are not a fan of the FRS (as stated in your post) then as I said, stay where you are. Twent-two years old with three years? I would focus on obtaining a four year degree.

07-05-2008, 01:28 PM
It is a good agency with pros and cons as with any dept. I was in the same predicament when I came here and left my dept as a Sgt. The pay is an issue, but where I live it is not too bad and I do get some OT (not like some of the locals though). If you like investigations than this is a good place, but if you want the option to still work patrol than stay put. For the most part you are treated like an adult at FDLE as compared to be treated like you are in kindergarten like at many pd's and so's.

SCM
07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Are there any openings in the Key West Field Office?

07-09-2008, 02:33 AM
I too am an officer here in Florida and am wondering how it would be to work for FDLE. More specifically how it is towork for the Capitol Police?