PDA

View Full Version : Man's earrings send him back to jail

NewsHound
07-03-2008, 10:29 PM
A jail booking photo and his diamond stud earrings landed John Lagrua back behind bars accused of lying to police.

After his arrest at a Publix store in May, John Lagrua complained that Aventura police beat him and stole his jewelry.

But when an internal affairs investigator reviewed his jail booking photo, he saw no bruises -- and his studs still pinned in his lobes, Aventura police said.

On Monday, police charged Lagrua, 39, with making a false official statement. ''If we find out you lied and were trying to make accusations that did not occur against our officers, we're going to file charges against you,'' warned Aventura Capt. William ''Skip'' Washa.

Lagrua, of Aventura, on Tuesday admitted he was wrong about his earrings, gold chain and watch -- they were actually in a jail property room. But he swears officers roughed him up.

''These officers cannot be trusted. They're 21 years old and think they own the world. They walk around with their guns and badges like it's the Wild, Wild West,'' Lagrua said.

Lagrua makes custom designs for fish-themed apparel maker Guy Harvey.

The arrest took place at Publix, 18995 Biscayne Blvd., on May 30. Officers Nick D'Arpino and Luis Chaidez said he was ''walking back and forth in the deli area'' with a large knife in his back pocket.

''After a short struggle,'' Lagrua was cuffed. He ''had a strong smell of alcohol coming from his person,'' an arrest report said.

Aventura police charged him with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest without violence and carrying a concealed weapon. The last charge was thrown out by a Miami-Dade judge; the kitchen knife ''was in plain view,'' the report said.

At Publix, Lagrua -- not using a cart -- grabbed a chicken and packaged kitchen knife.

''Instead of walking around looking like Rambo with a knife and a chicken in my hands, I put the knife in my back pocket,'' he said. ``I had a nice polo shirt on . . . I think I look like Mel Gibson. I don't look like a criminal.''

Lagrua said officers beat him with a baton in the store and with fists in the police car. After posting bail, Lagrua complained to internal affairs Sgt. Michael Mauer, saying he received a cut to the bridge of his nose.

But Mauer found photos of Lagrua taken at the station and later Miami-Dade County Jail clearly showed earrings and no nose injury.

On Monday, Mauer took a taped official statement before arresting him. ''I conducted a thorough investigation and concluded that [he] lied,'' Mauer wrote.

Source (http://www.miamiherald.com/top_stories/story/590466.html)

07-05-2008, 01:21 AM
WAY TO GO APD! IT'S ABOUT TIME WE STARTED LOCKING UP THESE PEOPLE FOR MAKING BS COMPLAINTS ON OUR OFFICERS. EVERYONE KNOWS 99% OF THESE COMPLAINTS ARE B.S. AND ARE MADE IN AN ATTEMPT TO GO AFTER "DEEP POCKETS" LIKE THAT GUY. IT'S AN ADMINISTRATIVE MOVE LIKE THAT THAT MAKES MORALE A LOT BETTER AROUND HERE. McC WOULD HAVE NEVER DONE SUCH A THING AND THERE WAS MANY TIMES WHERE HE SHOULD HAVE! GREAT JOB I.A.!

07-05-2008, 03:28 AM
WE NEED MORE I.A. PEOPLE IN THOSE SLOTS AROUND THE COUNTRY. OTHER DEPT'S TAKE NOTICE, ROUGHED HIM UP ? THE CLAIM WAS THAT APD BEAT HIM. IT WAS THE ACTIONS OF SGT MIKE MAUER WHICH BROUGHT JUSTICE TO THE SUBJECT WHO NEEDED IT.

THE POINT IS THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN REAL EASY FOR THE SGT JUST TO AGREE WITH THE SUBJECT AND SERVE CITY HALL AND FRY THE OFFICERS.

INSTEAD THE SGT DID THE RESEARCH AND BY PHOTO'S TAKEN AT BOOKING CLEARED THE OFFICERS WHO WERE DOING THEIR JOB. SGT MAUER YOU ARE THE MAN OF THE YEAR AND ALL OTHER I.A. FOLKS SHOULD TAKE NOTE. :idea:

AND WHILE I AM TALKING ABOUT FAIR, A CERTIAN CPL WITHIN THE APD, " AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE , WOULDN'T YOU WISH YOU COULD DO A BROTHER JUSTICE LIKE THAT ", DEAM ON -YOUR TO WRAPED UP IN YOUR SELF ! YOU WOULD HAVE FRIED THOSE TWO IF IT MADE YOU LOOK GOOD YOU ARE A REAL CHUNK OF WORK. :!: :oops: :x :evil: :twisted: :roll: :arrow:

07-05-2008, 05:43 AM
WAY TO GO APD! IT'S ABOUT TIME WE STARTED LOCKING UP THESE PEOPLE FOR MAKING BS COMPLAINTS ON OUR OFFICERS. EVERYONE KNOWS 99% OF THESE COMPLAINTS ARE B.S. AND ARE MADE IN AN ATTEMPT TO GO AFTER "DEEP POCKETS" LIKE THAT GUY. IT'S AN ADMINISTRATIVE MOVE LIKE THAT THAT MAKES MORALE A LOT BETTER AROUND HERE. McC WOULD HAVE NEVER DONE SUCH A THING AND THERE WAS MANY TIMES WHERE HE SHOULD HAVE! GREAT JOB I.A.!

BEAUTIFIUL MOVE BY I.A.!!!

:D

07-05-2008, 05:49 AM
if any admin is reading this can u consider putting m.m. in for officer of the month? thank god we still have old skool guys like m.m. around!!!!!!!!!!!

07-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey, isn't that the guy from NMB that looks like Tom Selleck? Rumor has it he's hung like a junk yard dog (lucky *******).

07-12-2008, 02:33 PM
WAY TO GO MIKE MAUER, YOUR THE BEST..WAY TO DO THE RIGHT THING. THE COMMUNITY NEEDS TO KNOW IF YOUR GOING TO LIE AND FILE A BOGUS REPORT AGAINST INNOCENT OFFICERS THEY ARE GOING TO GET ARRESTED.

ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEONE FINALLY WOKE UP AND MADE AN ARREST AGAINST A PERSON WHO FILED A BULLSHITE REPORT.

MAUER FOR LT........PS....HE DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING....