PDA

View Full Version : 2 Ex-Officers Lose Religious Discrimination Suit

NewsHound
07-02-2008, 06:08 AM
DAVIE - A lawsuit filed by two former Davie police officers claiming religious discrimination and retaliation has been dismissed.

The lawsuit, filed in 2005, alleged Matthew Malin was subjected to anti-Semitic comments from his supervisors. Malin, who is Jewish, said he was called a "dirty Jew pig" and told "you Jews are not wanted here in Davie."

The suit also said Brandon Rivera, who is Catholic, was fired for his "association with a person of the Jewish religion."

Broward Circuit Judge Leroy Moe dismissed the case last month. It was set for trial in August, but Moe made a summary judgment based on written briefs.

"He basically felt that even if everything was true, there was still not enough evidence to prove discrimination on the part of Davie," said attorney Harry Boreth, whose partner handled the case for the town.

Frank Shooster, the men's attorney, said he plans to appeal.

"We're convinced that our clients were harassed — one because he was Jewish, the other because he refused to go along with the prejudice," Shooster said.

The lawsuit accused the town of failing to investigate Malin's complaints and allowing a hostile work environment.

Malin, 30, and Rivera, 32, were suing for lost wages, damages for emotional distress and legal fees. They also want their jobs back.

Police Chief Patrick Lynn could not be reached for comment Monday and town spokesman Braulio Rosa declined to comment.

Rivera and Malin were on leave when they were fired in 2004. The town said both men were terminated for violating departmental procedures.

Malin suffered religious discrimination during the three years he worked as a police officer in Davie, the suit said. His direct supervisors told him to find another job, falsely accused him of committing crimes, and ordered him to take a vulnerable position during a violent incident, according to the suit.

Rivera, hired in 2000, said he didn't run into any trouble in the department until he became Malin's friend. The suit alleges he overheard the anti-Semitic comments and also heard a sergeant refer to the men as "Satan's stepchildren."

Source (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbdaviecopsuit0701sbjul01,0,1991754.story)

07-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Thank God. What a ridiculous lawsuit. Maybe somebody should have pointed out to Malin that we have a couple of Supervisors and several Officers that are Jewish and they have never had any problems.

07-28-2008, 05:00 PM
BOGUS lawsuit - s**t like this makes the real ones seem pointless.....

08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
That was a good comment about there being other Jewish officers and supervisors that never had a problem. The reason why they never had a problem is because they just keep there weak, frightened, mouths shut when they are clearly discriminated against. You being an 11 year veteran are most likely one of the people discriminating against them.

We stood up to the Descrimination and if that in your opinion is stupid or rediculous then you are no better then a Nazi. You sign your comment with 11 year veteran. If there was no fear of descrimination or retaliation then why not sign your name?

We are prime examples of why the other officers who are treated unfairly keep there mouths shut. We were fired for bougus reasons, not one of the reasons have any meritt.

08-13-2008, 11:05 AM
MATT, GOOD TO SEE YOU HAVEN'T LOST YOUR "SPUNK"! :evil: :evil: :evil: :snicker: :snicker: :snicker:

08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
That was a good comment about there being other Jewish officers and supervisors that never had a problem. The reason why they never had a problem is because they just keep there weak, frightened, mouths shut when they are clearly discriminated against. You being an 11 year veteran are most likely one of the people discriminating against them.

We stood up to the Descrimination and if that in your opinion is stupid or rediculous then you are no better then a Nazi. You sign your comment with 11 year veteran. If there was no fear of descrimination or retaliation then why not sign your name?

We are prime examples of why the other officers who are treated unfairly keep there mouths shut. We were fired for bougus reasons, not one of the reasons have any meritt.

Matt, I actually worked with you on the same shift and got along with you pretty well. I thought you were a pretty good guy, but you lost your way. I would be the first to say if anybody was being discriminated against or being treated unfairly. You're reaching, and should have tried to use a different angle to get your job back.

PS: I didn't sign my name because you have already shown the propensity to file frivolous lawsuits. I wouldn't want to be sued for "emotional distress".

08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
11 Year Vet,
If you worked with me then you know that I was a great police officer. You would have no idea of what type of discrimination I was subjected to unless you rode around in the car with your pals Timmy Hill and Greggy Spates. As far as you making the comment " I lost my way " what does this statement refer to, does it mean I was not willing to put up with the anti Semitic ways of certain individuals? If that is what you mean by I lost my way then yes, I refused to be treated unfairly.
I also recall certain calls where my back up, and you might be in this group of individuals, would take their precious time in responding to either in progress calls or back ups. I also remember backing up other officers where their vet ways were so extremely unsafe that I would be forced to intervene and secure the scene for the original officer and myself. I never lost my way, this statement is ridiculous. You say the law suit is frivolous, but my termination, I guess that was legit. This town and the GOOD OLD BOY treatment is utterly disgusting and once you realize that life outside of Davie is not lived in a closed box maybe you will wake up as well. I was accused of crimes of RICO, please inform me about how this is true! You worked with me, I was never involved in organized crime.
Just because I am a police officer, why should I have to deal with discrimination and hostile acts from peers and supervisors? I am thick skinned to the public we deal with, however when it comes to the people who I rely on and supervisors who can directly effect my safety I will not deal with it. 11 year vet, I wish you a safe and continued prosperous career in Davie and I hold no resentment for any people involved. I do want people to know the truth of what was done to Brandon and myself, so I will call the people out who have done us wrong. your emotional distress comment just further confirms that to have an intelligent conversation with you is not possible... Stay safe vet.

08-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I forgot to put my name on the last post... Malin....

08-20-2008, 07:15 PM
YOU NO LONGER WORK HERE AND WE DONT CARE SO GO COMPLAIN SOMEWHERE ELSE..YOU LOST THE LAWSUIT AND YOUR JOB SO DEAL WITH IT

08-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah ok - you were discrimnated against because you were Jewish and your friend was too because he was friends with you???? Let me get this straight.......... mmmmmmmmmm... yeah ok...... Guess the judge who threw it out also saw the discrimination that did not occur.... Go away.... Why don't you tell the real reasons why you were terminated?????

08-21-2008, 02:02 PM
My little children,
Again you sign your posts with fictitious names. It seems that is the M.O. for Davie. Fictitious names fictitious terminations. As far as you saying you don't care and for me to go away, I beg to differ, you see it gets under your skin and it does bother you because you were obviously one of the people who were involved in this issue. If you did not care you would not respond.
You say I don't work here, well I have news for you, Neither do 3/4 of the other quasi police officers there, again I bet you are in that group. Look, I will continue to voice my facts on here as long as I want to, or until you get hypertension.
Please enlighten this forum to the real reasons for my termination, you seem to know better then me. Might you be suggesting that there was a different reason then the reason given from H.R. ? Brandon was terminated for fictitious reasons as well. Of course the Town is not going to come out and say I was fired for being JEWISH or Brandon fired for Blowing the whistle, that would make my attny's job to easy. You mention the Judge who did not see the discrimination, good point and allow me to break this down for you in a way so that your bird sized brain can understand. The judge did see the discrimination and the case is not over, so in laymen terms WE NO LOST YET....
I thought Amendment # 1 in our constitution gave me the right to voice my opinion in a public forum such as this. Are you warning me to stop or else? You have suppressed my people long enough you will not take my civil rights. Like Moses said, " Let My People Go".
You guys have a great day and I will be back after your next Klan meeting.

08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Hey Malin,

You sound like you need a break. Even though you're not one of the "them" you can still get .5 at any one of my two locations.

08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Hey Malin,

You sound like you need a break. Even though you're not one of the "them" you can still get .5 at any one of my two locations.

.5? That's rediculous! I'll take my business elsewhere you vampire!

08-21-2008, 08:06 PM
MMMM half off sounds good, I will definitely take you up on that. I would not suggest the rest of Davie's finest do this because this would be considered a gratuity and I am sure as you all know that is not allowed by FDLE, it would be a shame to see so many good honest hard working police men and women get in trouble for half off of things just because you pretend to be LAW ENFORCERS.... I enjoy a nice bagel, I assume that's because I am Jewish... Clever, you sneaky little devils

08-21-2008, 11:24 PM
MMMM half off sounds good, I will definitely take you up on that. I would not suggest the rest of Davie's finest do this because this would be considered a gratuity and I am sure as you all know that is not allowed by FDLE, it would be a shame to see so many good honest hard working police men and women get in trouble for half off of things just because you pretend to be LAW ENFORCERS.... I enjoy a nice bagel, I assume that's because I am Jewish... Clever, you sneaky little devils

No. Telling you to try the "grouper stix" would make me a sneaky devil

08-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I was able to retire from Davie without ever having a problem. If I were you I would take that bagel guy up on his offer.

08-22-2008, 10:10 PM
How is vegas working out for ya Howie???? :lol:

08-22-2008, 11:39 PM
thats obviously not howie because he did get harassed

08-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Hey Matt, we miss you. Where have you been for the last few days? Did they forget to give you your meds again? :twisted: