PDA

View Full Version : Cutting back COP hours/miles

PSO
06-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Being part of the Public Service Officers is the most rewarding non-paid volunteer job I've had in my 10 years in Citrus County. I really like being out there and doing the things we're allowed to do.

I don't like giving citations, and I just gave my first one out last week, but it's our rule that if fault is found, the guilty go away with one.

Because of the budget crunch, I've heard that the Sheriff has cut mileage and hours out of Community Patrols. I surely hope that doesn't happen to the PSO's or worse, you deputies.

I can easily put 200 miles (1/3 tank of gas) on my weekly shift and that's with or without taking a number of calls because I cover half the county. I'd hate to be limited to a certain amount of miles and have to hang around the Mall or someplace so they wouldn't rack up.

God knows, you'd see more a-holes in the local paper complaining about seeing us hanging out wasting the taxpayers money. Right now, it's only you guys that make the paper for talking to one another or picking up your laundry in the car. We (PSO's) are pretty much out of the spotlight and that's good for us.

Take care out there guys (and gals). We certainly appreciate what you do for the county and know better than the average person what this county would be like without your dedication.

06-24-2008, 12:49 AM
There is an easy answer to help offset those costs; 1st go back to using county fuel instead of those County gas cards allowing you and D/S's to fill up wherever they want. WHY? County fuel isn't taxed as high as tax payers ie; fuel is averaging $4.09 excempt from the fuel tax would be $3.09...much more resonable than that of us tax payers thus allowing the Sheriff to continue to staff citizens effectively. Problem #1 is the current administration accepting logical answers and continuing to do it there way. That has been there mentality from day one our way or NO WAY!!

2nd option is having deputies pay automatic withdrawl per period for maintenance and fuel costs by taking $10 or $20 per paycheck... :roll:

Other agencies do and have done so for years to help offset the costs with the take home privledge.

It has long been time for CHANGE VOTEHEMRICKFORSHERIFF.COM

06-24-2008, 10:01 PM
You got that right. I heard him speak a few days ago and it sounds like he will get a hold on these run away cost and heph with a lot of the other problems withing and still do a great job with public safety. If the Deputy's are smart they will.. VOTEHEMRICKFORSHERIFF.COM

make the right choice men and ladies, you will not regret it.

06-25-2008, 02:54 AM
For the uneducated,

1) The State, County and City Governments are exempt from the gas taxes paid at the local pump. Whenever gas is purchased at the local pump, the tax money is reimbursed to the purchasing Government Entity.

2) Since off-duty use is no longer authorized why should a Deputy have to pay for maintence on a patrol car that sits in the driveway? Maybe the neighbors on the block should pay, because they are the ones who are benefitting from having a marked patrol vehicle in the area... Other agencies are doing a lot of things CCSO should/could be doing... It's a weak argument at best.

06-25-2008, 10:16 PM
For the uneducated,

1) The State, County and City Governments are exempt from the gas taxes paid at the local pump. Whenever gas is purchased at the local pump, the tax money is reimbursed to the purchasing Government Entity.

2) Since off-duty use is no longer authorized why should a Deputy have to pay for maintence on a patrol car that sits in the driveway? Maybe the neighbors on the block should pay, because they are the ones who are benefitting from having a marked patrol vehicle in the area... Other agencies are doing a lot of things CCSO should/could be doing... It's a weak argument at best.

What a shame on the privledge and benefit the car provides to citizens and deputies if you can't use it. I agree with 'Insight' that deputies should contribute as well as Sergeant's & Lieutenant's to offset operating costs of the patrol car. Just think with cost of fuel today $50 out of your payroll is nothing with continued use of the car in our neighborhoods, immediate response to problems on our roadways and the presence of additional marked units in the area. Your Sheriff isn't that bright by reducing your presence with restricted use of the car and limiting the volunteers because of fuel prices especially comment #1 and as earlier mentioned in this topic that local govt. is EXCEMPT from fuel taxes....Sure doesn't show with reduced use of the cars, huh?

There is NO PRICE on SAFETY!!! I thought that was message driven home when the sheriff ran his mouth after Jessica, allowing detectives and patrolmen to bank hours of overtime working that case after the fact. With less volunteer and marked unit presence out there Einstein, i mean 'More Insight' it won't be long till another tradegy occurs or even worse criminals start getting away because there is less presence or deputies out there to respond.

06-26-2008, 03:00 PM
$50 is nothing??? That being the case, would you mind sending me $50 per pay check??? I didn't think so!!!

Also, I DON'T agree that employees should have to pay to take a car home. If that's the case, I'll park it at the office and buy a beater car I can drive to and from and whenever I want!

06-26-2008, 07:57 PM
$50 is nothing??? That being the case, would you mind sending me $50 per pay check??? I didn't think so!!!

Also, I DON'T agree that employees should have to pay to take a car home. If that's the case, I'll park it at the office and buy a beater car I can drive to and from and whenever I want!

This is the definition of a clown with remarks like this here above. :o

No common sense at all with a ignorant statement like that...Buying your beater outright or monthly is> than $50= No doubt, Insurance on your beater >than $50 a month, fuel for the month (definetly) >$50 a month!

Use of a county car whenever you want priceless!!

Just ask anyone with sense or your administrative staff who is not effected in the least by these restricted uses...

See it folks like you that dont think outside the box why CCSO is going backwards NOT forward. That $50 helps the sheriff and fleet maintenence offset the costs of the additional use of the car. Damn man i use the car for school/ the movies/ shopping/ court/ running errands. If it was $100 a month i would still pay cause that still beats a car payment/ insurance/ and wear & tear for tires/oil/alignment and anything else from your POV. Best part is its a tax write off and you still get a new troll car every 4-5 years anyway.

Disregard my comments if you are administration or a doboy cuz it just makes sense...

06-28-2008, 01:26 AM

This is the definition of a clown with remarks like this here above. :o

No common sense at all with a ignorant statement like that...Buying your beater outright or monthly is> than $50= No doubt, Insurance on your beater >than $50 a month, fuel for the month (definetly) >$50 a month!

Use of a county car whenever you want priceless!!

Just ask anyone with sense or your administrative staff who is not effected in the least by these restricted uses...

See it folks like you that dont think outside the box why CCSO is going backwards NOT forward. That $50 helps the sheriff and fleet maintenence offset the costs of the additional use of the car. darn man i use the car for school/ the movies/ shopping/ court/ running errands. If it was $100 a month i would still pay cause that still beats a car payment/ insurance/ and wear & tear for tires/oil/alignment and anything else from your POV. Best part is its a tax write off and you still get a new troll car every 4-5 years anyway.

Disregard my comments if you are administration or a doboy cuz it just makes sense...

06-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi Laz!!!

No, not Admin here... Just a slick sleeve pushing a green and white. Believe it or not some of use don't want to drive "the fishbowl" when off-duty. We get enough of it while on-duty. It is nice to have in the driveway though.

07-02-2008, 02:06 AM
Hi Laz!!!

No, not Admin here... Just a slick sleeve pushing a green and white. Believe it or not some of use don't want to drive "the fishbowl" when off-duty. We get enough of it while on-duty. It is nice to have in the driveway though.

Miss me dont you bro???