PDA

View Full Version : FWC's new direction?

06-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Looking at the changes over the last couple of years it has finally come to me that FWC really is going back to the old days of who knows what. Not the GFC or FMP. Something is going on and its all being kept hush hush.
Look at our image. The old west tooled leather belts and cowboy hats. Now we are getting issued green straw hats for everyday use. That won't fit in the coastal counties or Keys. Pickem-up trucks. Even though most of us never need something that big. A new badge reminisent of something found in Blazin' Saddles. A classic to be sure.
Now FS. 370 and 372 are being rewritten into 379. Is it because the new statue will decriminalize many of our violations? Maybe, maybe not. Many DEP statutes are now infractions.

We've gotten away from drug interdiction, human smuggling, and sig4 investigations in many counties. You don't see our K9s being trained in lobsters anymore. Our involvement with NMFS/NOAA has dwindled. Large boat operation is down.

What has picked up is our involvement in trying to save hunting in Florida. Including a strategy of trying to recruit new hunters. Wristbands promoting hunting. An airboat heritage pamphlet. (Since when is the vehicle you drive a heritage?) More inland K9s. The use of the term "Core Mission" The name "game warden" in more common use by even the newest officers.

It looks like we are being turned into a regulartory agency.

06-20-2008, 11:08 PM
you are right, look at our involvement w/ USCG, it has diminished significantly. Blue lightning went by the wayside too.

21Regal
06-21-2008, 12:43 AM
If I had a choice between basket weave & that P.O.S. 3" Santa Clause belt I used to wear I choose basket weave. Sounds like you are in an area where you have the luxury of only having to do one half of the job.
Many of the issues in a State Park need to be an infraction. Driving on the grass a Misd II, yea right. Dog on the beach criminal, well hell my Jack Russell is armed and dangerous. We were a for the most part a regulatory agency before unless you were in a large metro area. What did you enforce, F.A.C.'s & Boating Statutes. Hmmm what is a Casal stop called----A regulatory stop to enforce boating safety and fishery laws.
As to Customs issues and USCG that could be an issue. I am a former Coastie and many times I kinda like the distance. 4 weeks MLE School makes you a L.E.O. not likely.
Many people want to turn back the clock and unfortunately that aint happening. For all I read here many need to get another job or find something that makes them happy. I seem to remember DEP wanting to turn me into an Environmental enforcer (Trash cases, removing FMP from my patch, thats right look at the last patch--Division of Law Enforcement).
Are there things that can be better, yep. Are we going to get there whining and griping like a bunch of kids, nope. We need to put our energy into issues that move us foward. To me the State Patrol name issue is a big step. As to the badge I like it, six points in the star--1. Patrol 2. Protect 3. Preserve 4. Land 5. Air 6. Sea. Now the hats are another issue but i'm a bit folically impaired so any hat works. I live a few blocks from the beach so the cowboy hat will bring some weird looks.
But then again I live in the redneck riviera where as Tom T Hall puts it "from Appalachicola to Gulf Shores Alabam no one seems to care if grandama has a tatoo or grandpa has a chicken wing in his hand."
Yee Haw..................

06-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Have to separate L/E from biologists! By placing the new badge emblem on the patrol vehicles will definately be a start. That is what the public will see and the biologists will get the point. If they want to be L/E then they need to go through the academy and apply.

06-21-2008, 04:09 AM
I have never met a biologist that wanted to be or even act like an officer. They don't make the choice on what they drive or wear.

Regal 21, I actually enjoy and do both sides of our job. The direction we are going though is 180 degrees out from the direction the state is going. Instead of cowboy hats and badges we need to move our focus on improving our image to something that fits the majority of Florida. The panhandle although large is hardly a fair representation of Florida. Heck, south Floridians think we should give it to Georgia or Alabama and get it over with. It's mentality is slowing progress.

21Regal
06-21-2008, 02:52 PM
I agree with you as to the differences. Yes the Panhandle is part of Alabama or Georgia for the most part. Why do you think we call it L.A. (Lower Alabama) That is why I choose to live hear. To me the southern end of the state with the exception of the Keys has turned into California East without the mountains & Latte's. I used to live in Nor Cal for many years. Actually you could cut this state up four or five ways.
But don't think we are a bunch of WWF Nascar watching necks. The coastal areas here have many high end developments between PCB to Gulf Shores Alabama. Is it the Palm Beaches, no. But don't kid yourself Bubba from Atlanta, N.O., & Tenn. knows who to make money too. Just remember rednecks come in many accents, shades, and backgrounds.
I don't listen to country music either. I have friends in Boca, Miami, & Tampa. I enjoy my visits with them. I just got over metro areas years ago by working in California. Work your area as you see fit. We each know what needs to be accomplished. When was the last time you took anything coming out of D.C. or Tally seriously.

06-21-2008, 03:32 PM
I agree with you as to the differences. Yes the Panhandle is part of Alabama or Georgia for the most part. Why do you think we call it L.A. (Lower Alabama) That is why I choose to live hear. To me the southern end of the state with the exception of the Keys has turned into California East without the mountains & Latte's. I used to live in Nor Cal for many years. Actually you could cut this state up four or five ways.
But don't think we are a bunch of WWF Nascar watching necks. The coastal areas here have many high end developments between PCB to Gulf Shores Alabama. Is it the Palm Beaches, no. But don't kid yourself Bubba from Atlanta, N.O., & Tenn. knows who to make money too. Just remember rednecks come in many accents, shades, and backgrounds.
I don't listen to country music either. I have friends in Boca, Miami, & Tampa. I enjoy my visits with them. I just got over metro areas years ago by working in California. Work your area as you see fit. We each know what needs to be accomplished. When was the last time you took anything coming out of D.C. or Tally seriously.

Actually we call the panhandle UCLA (Upper Corner of Lower Alabama).

We may not agree on much but that fact that you have a squirrel drinking the nectar of the gods as your avatar says good things of your character! Cheers my friend!

06-21-2008, 03:43 PM
The great FWC conspiracy theory... That's funny!! There is no hush-hush deal going on.

The name of your agency, FISH and WILDLIFE, should be a HUGE clue as to what direction your heading. You wear green and tan, just like a majority of the other resource agencies. Your still known as "fish and game" among other law enforcement agencies and a good deal of the public. And your agency as a whole no longer performs certain missions that FMP used to. Those are things you CAN'T change.

As much as I hate to say it, the FMP is dead. Get over it!! If you don't like it, leave. The only legitimate gripe you guys have is PAY!!!!

Otherwise quite yer *****ing and be a happy FWC Officer, Ranger, game warden or whatever title they choose to call you.

06-21-2008, 05:36 PM
get off this site!

06-21-2008, 07:01 PM
If you don't like it leave! That's a new one. Listen you stupid hick and I'll make this simple enough for you to understand. If I was talking to you I'd even talk slowly if it would help. The reason people speak up here or anywhere else is to bring about change. If you don't think the people in Tallahassee read this you are as ignorant as you I thought. Go back to your single wide on someone elses property, load up your hog dogs, drink a Bud, and live in squaller because you are a typical hillbilly coward. While you're at it, stop looking at your own sister that way.

21Regal
06-22-2008, 01:53 AM
To the poster who says we don't perform as many functions as FMP, well as to disaster response we do more than direct traffic. I bet that crown vic works really good at helping people with food, water, helping S.O.'s in areas destroyed. I hope you are not a Tropper. At least our guys can tell the difference between diesel & gas. (Infamous tanker blunder)
Just ask the powers at be in Harrison Co. Miss. if they want you back.
Now go back to your 4 DOOR SEDAN and turn left.

06-23-2008, 04:55 AM
Careful...Be nice!
Its in the works...
M-E-R-G-E-R
The major players will be the FFWCC (Water & Woods), FHP (Road Patrol), FDOT (CMV Enforcement), & FDLE (Investigations). A "Florida Dept. of Public Safety" concept is being seriously explored behind the scenes for presentation to the next legislative session. It already has heavy political backing. It comes about due to the current instability and misdirection of all of Florida's state law enforcement agencies. Budgetary cost-effectiveness is the target goal within the prototype model. A consolidation between these agencies will be proven to result in an overall pooling of funds that will also increase pay & retention at the work level. It is all supposed to come together under Alex Sink's office in early 2010. The RCC's are already in place. We'd better learn to get along with each other...the secret is out.

06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Careful...Be nice!
Its in the works...
M-E-R-G-E-R
The major players will be the FFWCC (Water & Woods), FHP (Road Patrol), FDOT (CMV Enforcement), & FDLE (Investigations). A "Florida Dept. of Public Safety" concept is being seriously explored behind the scenes for presentation to the next legislative session. It already has heavy political backing. It comes about due to the current instability and misdirection of all of Florida's state law enforcement agencies. Budgetary cost-effectiveness is the target goal within the prototype model. A consolidation between these agencies will be proven to result in an overall pooling of funds that will also increase pay & retention at the work level. It is all supposed to come together under Alex Sink's office in early 2010. The RCC's are already in place. We'd better learn to get along with each other...the secret is out.

Dang it son. Whatta we spose to do with r' new cowboy hats then?

21Regal
06-23-2008, 11:49 PM
This comes up every session but it is usually brought down. Too many political entities such as the Florida Sheriffs Association are normally against it. However with todays landscape who knows.

06-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Not to mention that a politician's "power" is derived almost solely from the number of appointments he can make. The more people a person in government can appoint to high ranking positions, the more people that are indebted to that person, and the more powerful that person becomes.

If they merge all the agencies together, as much as it would make sense, now the governor only gets to appoint one "secretary of the DPS" rather than "Secretary of the DEP", "Secretary of FWC", "Comissioner of FDLE", "Director of the FHP", etc

06-25-2008, 10:51 PM
To the poster who says we don't perform as many functions as FMP, well as to disaster response we do more than direct traffic. I bet that crown vic works really good at helping people with food, water, helping S.O.'s in areas destroyed. I hope you are not a Tropper. At least our guys can tell the difference between diesel & gas. (Infamous tanker blunder)
Now go back to your 4 DOOR SEDAN and turn left. I agree with your reply.....BUT, lets be fair here.....You just changed from a car!

07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Now go back to your 4 DOOR SEDAN and turn left. I agree with your reply.....BUT, lets be fair here.....You just changed from a car!
Thats right, it may not be much BUT at least it's not a sedan 8)

07-05-2008, 01:41 AM
It is just an image enhancing facelift. I guess the "theory" behind this is...If they look a little better, they'll be taken a bit more seriously. Wasting money on trinkets and fluff during times of budgetary crisis is not admirable to the taxpayer.