PDA

View Full Version : New Chief ?

06-20-2008, 07:45 PM
If each of you were on a selection committee, what would be your top three requirements for selecting a new chief?

06-20-2008, 08:20 PM
1- NOT from FMPD present.
2- From an outside dept./city, of larger size ,with good progressive policies and employee relations ,with the data to back it up.
3-someone that will come in to restructure policies , inequeties etc. rather than just take over the top post.

06-21-2008, 03:04 PM
What about someone who isn't going to give in or cater to the community and in doing so forget about his people?

I really think that things would have been different if he would have shown more support of the rank and file officers here. Things appear to have gotten worse since I started. Before, the Supervisors knew who you were, your work ethic, and used that in their decision on whether to accept or acknowledge a citizen's complaint.

Lately, it appears that any Joe Schmoe can come in, make any complaint, and it is accepted and investigated. Yeah, I know that times are changing, but maybe things would have been different if he would not have given in or catered to certain groups of people.

Who knows. This is just my opinion. Yes, I know the phrase "Opinions are like A@@ Holes".

Hopefully the new Chief will take that into consideration and things will be different.

06-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Excellent comments so far.. Give some thought to the following.

A new Chief has to reach out to three main groups, with each group having multiple parts.

Employees, Citizens and Elected Officials. Hopefully, the elected officials and CM will grant the new chief a "honeymoon period" to get his feet on the ground, with many questions satisfied during the selection process. If the new chief doesn't get that feeling prior to accepting the position, he should walk away. Next, he has to connect to ALL factions in the community-rapidly-to gain their confidence that the public safety mission is in good hands. Finally, he has to have the department employees on his side, working as a team, to move the department forward. All need to step up with a great worrk product and support. He has to rapidly and accurately ID the A-team, those with the right attitude but need experience and finally, those that have survived on BS/GOB membership. W/O a doubt, a department reflects the attitude and philosophy of it's leader. How can he best accomplish the above?

With everything right and a PD team approach, the community gains confidence, trust and soon step forward to quash the BS complaints before they even get started. Don't we all have more patience with the folks we know and are willing to take their side based on that relationship? Sure we do. That is the real value of Community-Oriented Policing-establishing those relationships that get you through the difficult situations on the street and result in a community that demands better wages for officers.

06-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Lock anthony thomas ,mulligan ,and daniels in a room for a week,and see if fairness or a personality developes amonst them

06-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Don't know those folks but this should apply if I read between thel ines a little bit.
When you get to more diamonds than coal, the coal really stands out. Easy to pluck out at that point-with everyone in agreement.