PDA

View Full Version : What's up with cutting leave policy

06-19-2008, 03:02 AM
:?: I heard the city is trying to cut back on vacation and sick time?

06-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I was at a city meeting, around the time Rick Warnell was retiring and had tons of sick and vacation time to cash in, aparently along with another city employee that was going to cost the city plenty. I can't remember the exact dollar amount but it was a good chunk of change, and the mayor said something to the effect of, "...this has got to stop...!...we're going to have to make this a use it or lose it policy...it's costing us too much money...!" He told the city manager to look into it and fix it. That was mid 2006 if I remember right and I knew then this would be coming.

So, what will come next? First it will be "LOSE IT OR LOSE IT" and they will set guidelines that may not allow you to roll it over into the next quarter then narrow it even further to the month. They will modify the SOP and you will have to bring a doctor's note every time you get "sick" or you'll get a nasty piece of paper dropped in your jacket.

That tact and plan will set the stage for officers to use it and some will then decide to call in sick because there is no long-term benefit for not calling in sick. The ripple from that rock dropping in the pond, will be fewer officers on the street in an already undermanned department, putting officer's safety more at risk. Hard working, reliable officers will now tow-the-line and pull an even heavier load. I know this has already been the case.

I've personally worked the city with three officers humping calls and so have plenty of officer's at the department. It's unsafe. But to the powers that be, only two things matter, 1) Look at all the money I've saved the city. (whether from a current city manager or an aspiring city manager)....and 2) As long as our door didn't get kicked in during a home-invasion robbery/rape/ or I didn't get car-jacked or robbed or my car stolen...etc etc etc....then things are running just fine.

Some, who keep their sick time zeroed because they use it as soon as they acrew it, may have had it right all this time...and that's too bad, because they're slackers.

06-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Well said 4yourinfo, Any change is no good for us, we count on some of these benifits for retirement. How about finally raising taxes a little this year!

06-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I believe this has undoubtedly come in response to a recent dilemma that the city of Tampa has endured. I read in the Tribune Metro section, that last year, the city had to pay out 16.5 million dollars to cash out cops, firemen and others sick and vacation balances! This year, even with the budget cuts the amount is still in the ball park of 13 million. Along with the public service guys you have park & rec., cemetary crews, trash collectors, library, as well as all of the others who are employed by the city. Most of them are baby boomers who are all retiring or the city is doing away with their positions. Our budget isn't the same as the city of tampa but whatever the total amount, it still represents a substantial portion that has to be accounted for. This is the city of Plant City's attempt to avoid the same issue. If they have to pay out huge leave/sick balances now, its money that CANT be used for salaries, cars, cameras and all the other stuff we need. The Chief is trying to get an exemption for the cops to this policy..because just like everyone else, we'd be inclined to call in sick too should we placed in a use or lose situation.

06-25-2008, 06:44 PM
There called Benifits! These cuts will mostly effect those of use that have just recently started. Those that have been here for years will not feel the cuts as they leave in the near future.

06-28-2008, 07:57 PM
The chief is trying is key here.... He's tried for many years and look where we are now? This place has great potential, but they need to make decisions based on what's best for the Department. Not what's best for the command staff.

07-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Tampa has a great vacation and sick leave policy

07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
All I can say is that in addition to the leave changes and the scheduling changes we have been royally f****d. The Chief and the City continue to prove (and actions speak louder than words people) that they do not care about long time employees. We should have voted in the union so I guess we can only blame ourselves.

07-03-2008, 06:37 PM
God bless the 12 who were smart enough to vote for it in the first place. :wink:

07-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Who Humpty Dumpty and all the Kings Men ????

07-04-2008, 04:33 PM
You hit it right on the head. :roll: Unfortuanately, some people are so blinded by promises, that you feel like there is a silver lining to this place.... Piss employees off. Check. Shaft. Check. Lube. Negative, cost too much money when they will just bend over and take it anyways.