PDA

View Full Version : Officer Arrested

06-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Well to the officer who is claim FLPD hasn't had an officer arrested. This has all changed. Way to go FLPD.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 6220.story (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbmerkel0617sbjun17,0,606220.story)

06-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Rat your brother out, get a specialty unit and a 57 Dog with a combined total of 6 months police experience. Great job. Enjoy the rest of your careers trying to fit in with people who don't trust you.

06-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Couldnt have said it better myself.

06-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Rat your brother out, get a specialty unit and a 57 Dog with a combined total of 6 months police experience. Great job. Enjoy the rest of your careers trying to fit in with people who don't trust you.

The officer had ethics, sorry you don't

06-17-2008, 09:02 PM
I can hardly wait to see the comments posted after my thoughts are read: I am a 30 year veteran (recently retired/non-management) and I am happy to say that I was never put in the position the 2 new officers were faced with. I was never a "rat" at work, but I can tell you that if I were to have found out that Merkel was stealing I would have reported it in a minute. Nope, I wasn't a company man, kool-aid drinker or anything else you're going to throw at me. I was simply an honest, hardworking guy who felt then, as I feel now, that the police are the good guys until they cross the line and become criminals. No, I don't think an attitude adjustment here and there makes you a criminal or a bad cop, but I surely know that being a thief does.
Okay, let's hear it.....Remember: Each and every officer at FLPD is now going to be painted with the brush used to paint Merkel.

06-17-2008, 09:26 PM

Except for the part of my ethics that won't let me take the side of some P.O.S. dope boy over a fellow officer, regardless of how I feel about the officer.

Or the part of that makes me think that taking a rep into an I.A. statement might just be a good idea.

06-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Moule+Clemons=Rats
Good job Boys....By the way Clemons nice frosted hair.

06-17-2008, 10:25 PM

A Rat is a Rat

06-17-2008, 11:32 PM
All I know is from what I read in the sunslantinal, BUT

How about, as officers, don't [allegedly] commit felonies in the first place?

O yeah, and when you do, don't put the burden on other officers to cover up your tracks or pretend that it never happened because when the truth gets uncovered, the other officers [who turned a blind eye] will get thrown into the burner just as fast as the main culprit.

Why would you intentionally put fellow officers in that position is beyond me.

06-18-2008, 12:04 AM
RAT

06-18-2008, 12:12 AM
I don't get it. So did Merkel steal the cash or put it into evidence without a known owner ?

06-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Well to the officer who is claim FLPD hasn't had an officer arrested. This has all changed. Way to go FLPD.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 6220.story (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbmerkel0617sbjun17,0,606220.story)

We've had several officers arrested, you moron. This is a large department that's been around for decades. This isn't the first and won't be the last. And if anyone honestly thinks that half the cops in this country haven't done what Merkel did, you're sadly mistaken. The difference is Merkel doesn't play golf with/suck the d i k of the right people/captains.

06-18-2008, 02:13 AM
To the 30 year vet... God bless you man, from a 15 year vet. A dirty cop is not a cop and therefore to put him in jail does not make you a rat. However, calling the guys that did the right thing a rat does make YOU a rat. Sorry if you don't like it, but I love my job, bad times and all, and no I don't drink the kool-aide and wear no brass either. He took a dump on every hard working cop so screw him and if you don't like it then quit. We all work hard every day dealing with the scum of the earth and dumb ass hippie MF'ers who think that we are all crooked anyway. This dip sh*t added fuel to the fire and made it worse for us all. I don't get why you can't see that. Take a hard look at what you do, and don't cross the thin blue line. And by the way, that line is not a line you cross by "being a rat" it's the difference between us and them. I am on the RIGHT side of the line. Where do you stand, with me or them. My true brothers and sisters are with me; on this side of that line. Also, you rookie dumbasses, he was not the first, ask Risner... if you don't believe me, look him up on BSO Pics.

06-18-2008, 04:50 AM
Here are the facts, Merk. is a weird, I mean wacky guy who probablly should not be a cop, but he is no thief. Dope boy loses his money to the city for running, big deal. Merk. didn't put it in his pocket to, he had no financial gain from it, so stop calling him a thief to bolster the other two officers, I'm not sure their rats yet, lacking rigid spines, no doubt. Do these two guys fold when a gray use of force complaint comes down next time their present to avoid some heat. This investigation is far from over, Merk. is being picked on because he is a little different and has done some progressively stupid things as of late on the road not to mention the "Arre you kidding me" incident!!!!! Yes, we all know that one, it actually surpasses choking your self out. This police dept. gets everything it deserves, we lower standards to hire the ethnically, sexually, religiously, diverse instead of hiring the best guy for the job. Bravo, you then get a police dept. with weak links, ours is full of em. Merk. will beat any criminal charge they throw at him and if he fights to get his job back he will win, because we all know what card he is gonna play.

06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Like the fact man said, Merkel is a strange bird! There is no room for thiefs in any department. If he stole from a dope boy he deserves to be punished. To me it seems more like the straw that broke the camels back...especially with his track record. "I woke up an he had my ...... in his" Wow

06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Like the fact man said, Merkel is a strange bird! There is no room for thiefs in any department. If he stole from a dope boy he deserves to be punished. To me it seems more like the straw that broke the camels back...especially with his track record. "I woke up an he had my ...... in his" Wow

06-18-2008, 07:40 PM
The way the newspaper stated it merk did find the cash on the ground likely were the rookies placed it, if you find a large sum of cash don't you put in in to evidence safe keeping ? Is that a crime now ? They should have taken this guys badge without using these guys careers to do it, now they are being given advanced oppurtunities in return obviously.

I guess the city wants the dope boys to have thier money. By the way was they dope boy arrested and for what no mention of dope being found? So hows he a narcotics suspect ?

The S.A. loves to charge cops. If your a dope boy and one of your stray bullets wounds a kid who knows if you get charges. But a cop we know whats coming they clear the schedule for us. Then they all go out and get DUI in our city huh ?

06-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Both of them...RATS...No matter how you look at it! Stay clear of these guys.

06-19-2008, 12:01 PM
So Merkel put the cash into evidence and these f*&^in guys go to IA? Enjoy your careers rat boys!!!!

06-20-2008, 05:54 AM
Rats X 2

06-20-2008, 12:18 PM
I bet the majority of you guys would turn rat in an instant to CYA your own butt. At the end of the day we all look out for #1 ourselves, and #2 our "PERSONAL" family, by any means nessasary. We all know how tight the brotherhood is in this sorry excuse of an agency.

It's call self preservation people, it's in our nature. don't act like it isn't in you.

:lol: :lol:

06-20-2008, 08:10 PM
You gus are something else! Without evening knowing all the facts in the Merkel case, you have already branded two brother officers as rats. Ask yourselves a few questions before you start ripping these two honest cops names apart:
Did you gather all the facts before the acts?
Did you go down to IA and read the entire case before jumping on the RAT Bandwagon?
How come there has been no vocal outpouring of support and anger by the majority of our police officers or union for Merkel?
Why are you just finding out about this today and not months ago when it actually happened?

I'll tell you the why's to all of those questions:
"Because Merkel was a dishonest, immoral, unethical and deceitful sociopath!" All of you know it and so does Merkel. If you have been here as long as Merkel has and any of the people who worked directly with him and above him, you would know many more things:

1. This was only ONE of a long series of questionable events in his career.
2. Many people have tried to intervene and help and guide Merkel but he just wouldn't listen!
3. Merkel was a nightmare to work with and everyone who handled calls with him was always worried they may get into trouble at any time because of his constant poor judgment calls and decisions.

Here's some more for you "NO RATS" claimers:

Currently, we have one of the most professional and thorough Internal Affairs teams since I've been here (15+ years). We have had our horror stories and now we have an excellent team that spends about 99% of the time mitigating and exonerating officers actions and decisions because of an over-zealous public and City Leadership. Give me one name of a dishonest or crappy IA sergeant right now. You can't do it.

If there were any mitigating factors or loopholes to be found to benefit Merkel, they would have been investigated, exploited and documented to help Merkel. Unfortunately because of who he is, what he did and the way he did it, Merkel screwed himself (no cliche intended) and left himself wide open for liaibility and danger to several police careers. You can't expect "the brotherhood" to cover all sins all the time. Yes, we must always look out for each other and our families, but we all know there are limits.

If you can honestly say, Merkel did nothing wrong and he deserves another chance, then go ahead and start a legal defense fund for him. Jump on the mountain and proclaim his innocence and let everyone know this was unfair. I hate the leadership as much as all of you, BUT there is one thing I know, the bad apple causes cancer and has to be removed. He was infecting the rookies and had to be stopped. Whenever you're ready to start slamming me, go ahead. No matter what you say in defense of NO RATS, you will never escape the fact Merkel had many chances to do the right thing and he always chose wrong! Had any of our management shown some balls to begin with Merkel would not have put two young cops on the spot because he would have been gone already!

Let me know how much money you collect with Merkel's defense fund!

Since the NO RATS crew already wrote your names--Chris and Grant, you did the right thing and you are stand up officers. I know you can sleep at night. . .can the rest of you?????

LONG TIME OFFICER

06-21-2008, 03:53 AM
Yea they can sleep since Rats sleep a lot. They are still Rats dude. They will be Rtas 4 ever !!!!

06-21-2008, 03:55 AM
Love the long time officer line. The guys a just Rats !!!!

06-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Say what you want, those guys will be branded RATS for the rest of their career's
Might as well start looking for a new PD to work at boys, no one here needs your snitchin....

06-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Excellent retort from the 3 guest replies after mine. Your insight and acknowledgement of the issue and facts-at-hand show everyone reading this, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You don't know what to say and you have no clue what the REAL thin blue line and brotherhood are all about. Do you really even know the true definition of a rat by LEO standards?????? Please. . . . .share your experience, insight, training and knowledge with the rest of us. . . . . .I'm waiting!

Don't sling crap. . . .try to sound intelligent and argue your point profesionally. Lets see what you write. . . . .

06-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Merkel was and most probably IS still a nightmare. Forget posting the unfortunate rookies who got sucked into one of his many messes. The FLPD polygraher who originally passed him should have his credentials examined. The officers and supervisors who let him continue for years should be fired along with that nut-job. And to think he was an FTO. The NO RATS crew needs to get a life.

06-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Merkel was and most probably IS still a nightmare. Forget posting the unfortunate rookies who got sucked into one of his many messes. The FLPD polygraher who originally passed him should have his credentials examined. The officers and supervisors who let him continue for years should be fired along with that nut-job. And to think he was an FTO. The NO RATS crew needs to get a life.
Its funny you defend the RATS now but the second they turn on YOU and they will, give them time, You will be singing a new tune!

06-21-2008, 09:06 PM
From a 29 year vet, (patrolman). I've had plenty of partners over the years and worked with many more, none of them ever put me in a position where I would have had to perjure myself or risk dismissal or prosecution if I kept my mouth shut. Saying that, I would not risk dismissal or prosecution because some POS broke the law in my presense. We all have families we are responsible for, a lot of good that would do if you were in jail with all the other scumbags we risked our lives for, just because you were afraid of being labled a rat.
When a cop breaks the law he or she tarnishes the badge for all of us, I guess that does mean anything to the slugs out there. Oh yea, and these are the same guys who criticize the public because they don't support your efforts during negotiations. Cops need to earn the respect of the citizens every day. Good for the cops who spoke up to protect YOUR image.

06-22-2008, 02:22 AM
Hey, long time officer: have you even thought about why there's no one fighting for Merkel, including the union? Because he's not popular, that's why. If it was any raider, k9, swat, or tac officer the union WOULD be collecting a defense fund, picketing, banding together, blah blah blah. I love Griss, but what he did has no defense, yet the FOP is asking for everyone to contribute to his cause, and good ole' boys like Graul and Hayes wanted to post a list of everyone who didn't contribute to be posted to call those people out. People aren't supporting Merkel because they don't like him. Last time I checked, a union was supposed to defend and support all of its members. It's like high school all over again...a popularity contest.

06-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey, long time officer: have you even thought about why there's no one fighting for Merkel, including the union? Because he's not popular, that's why. If it was any raider, k9, swat, or tac officer the union WOULD be collecting a defense fund, picketing, banding together, blah blah blah. I love Griss, but what he did has no defense, yet the FOP is asking for everyone to contribute to his cause, and good ole' boys like Graul and Hayes wanted to post a list of everyone who didn't contribute to be posted to call those people out. People aren't supporting Merkel because they don't like him. Last time I checked, a union was supposed to defend and support all of its members. It's like high school all over again...a popularity contest.

So so so true. They are two Rats and long time officer go play with on your Farm. I know what a Rat is you long time jerk. This should have been handeled in house. That's the old way Mr long time.
Those guys are and will be Rats 4 ever. You wont be here so go get a hobby

06-22-2008, 06:12 PM
For those who are trying to destroy the career of two officers who were asked to tell the truth is a crime in itself. Why are you worried about someone telling the truth or ratting on you? What illegal or stupid things are you engaged in that makes you afraid. I spent 20 years working in police work and never had to worry about somone ratting on me and I never held rank. I was able to accomplish my goals and do some pretty good work without getting into trouble. Some of you guys sound like you lack so much professionalism you wouldn't make a pimple on a real officers backside!

06-23-2008, 09:13 PM
For those who are trying to destroy the career of two officers who were asked to tell the truth is a crime in itself. Why are you worried about someone telling the truth or ratting on you? What illegal or stupid things are you engaged in that makes you afraid. I spent 20 years working in police work and never had to worry about somone ratting on me and I never held rank. I was able to accomplish my goals and do some pretty good work without getting into trouble. Some of you guys sound like you lack so much professionalism you wouldn't make a pimple on a real officers backside!

Well is putting a dope boys money into safekeeping a crime ? Thats what happened here, the guy wasn't out buying beer with the cash.

06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
I bet the majority of you guys would turn rat in an instant to CYA your own butt. At the end of the day we all look out for #1 ourselves, and #2 our "PERSONAL" family, by any means nessasary. We all know how tight the brotherhood is in this sorry excuse of an agency.

It's call self preservation people, it's in our nature. don't act like it isn't in you.

:lol: :lol:

Go get a real job before you decide you have any understanding about what it is we do!!!

I am sure those are your feelings!!

06-23-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm taking a wild guess but I think Merkel was unpopular because he was a lying, lazy, corrupt, immoral freak of nature. Unfortunately, the Union has to assist him with getting his job back. The "NO RATS" group doesn't get into any trouble becuase they don't do any work out there and so are not put into any situations to get into any trouble. They just don't want anyone to RAT on them for not doing their job. Thus causing others to work harder and making it more unsafe for the guys/girls out there busting their butts. Cry about not being in a specialty unit, the DB or promoted. It's specifically becuase nobody wants you there. Or you can go to a police department with a bunch of Merkel's and lazy, miserable bums like yourself.

06-24-2008, 02:34 AM
spoken like a true company boy, and I mean boy. Why would anyone but their butt for this place? You would have to be a complete idiot. Do any of you true believers realize we sitll have a crap contract, do you think it is time to go out and be superheros for this place that is hurting not only you but your children and loved ones. Please, no one forget this city govt. hates us and could care less if we are in pain, if our wives or children are sick. They don't care that you have to work 30 extra hours a week on details to make the ends meet. They don't care that you are killing yourself doing overtime to keep you child in a private school. Their response would be let your child go to a public school. NO CHANCE!!!! I will suffer and work till I pass out before that happens. But they should suffer along side us!!!! EVERYONE!!!!! there is 70+ Million dollars in their little blood money bank account, they could have easily afforded to make us number one and you know what if that ment 5 less hours a week of detal work well that would be 5 extra hours you could have spent with your family and kids. But, no way, they need to 70+ million to spend on anything expcept us and our families, to make their lives better or really just on pace. Milk is now $7.00 a gallon, their petty $100 extra a pay check means nothing to me an extra 1.25 hours of detail time per week is what we bent over for. This place suck, everyone should suffer......For the glamour boys out there looking for a pat on the back keep busting your butts for your masters, dance for them and be obediant for they will suck even more blood next time....

I'm taking a wild guess but I think Merkel was unpopular because he was a lying, lazy, corrupt, immoral freak of nature. Unfortunately, the Union has to assist him with getting his job back. The "NO RATS" group doesn't get into any trouble becuase they don't do any work out there and so are not put into any situations to get into any trouble. They just don't want anyone to RAT on them for not doing their job. Thus causing others to work harder and making it more unsafe for the guys/girls out there busting their butts. Cry about not being in a specialty unit, the DB or promoted. It's specifically becuase nobody wants you there. Or you can go to a police department with a bunch of Merkel's and lazy, miserable bums like yourself.

06-24-2008, 05:01 AM

You're missing the point. Do you know how many slugs this union has defended? This department has much, MUCH bigger slugs than Merkel. Putting a dope boy's money into evidence as found property should be punished. But not as a dismissal. Do you have any idea why charges were filed against Merkel so long after this happened? The state attorney's office wasn't going to file until A/Chief Carter went in and demanded that he be charged. This is from the AS attorney's mouth. So Carter gets him charged, which easily justifes firing him, and then his buddy Jack says that they won't defend him. How convenient. This union is only interested in defending the popular. And I'm not even saying that the other officers are rats. They're new, and if they found the money on this guy and Merkel put it into evidence as found property, it's CYA. They shouldn't lose their jobs over it. Give these guys a break...they're not rats.

06-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Many of you out there must only know a very small percentage of the Merkel fiasco. Hopefully some day it will all become public but not by me. I agree the money incident was not a huge deal, but there's so much more. So go ahead and base it soley on that and think he's getting the shaft. And there's no doubt if patrolmen made $100k per year the "NO RATS" and other slugs would still dodge calls and show up late to back up there brothers (or not show up at all). There is nothing that would ever make some people/cops content. I don't do this job for the CM or the A/CM. I do it to have fun and put real bad guys in jail. Who knows why you others came here. Go home and brag to your wife and kids that again you did absolutely nothing to earn a paycheck. I'm sure they'll be so very proud.

06-24-2008, 05:56 AM
IS THERE ANYONE THAT THINKS THAT MERKEL WAS PLACING THE CASH AS OWNER UNKNOWN TO MAKE IT MORE DIFFICULT FOR THE DOPE BOY TO TRY TO CLAIM FROM EVIDENCE LATER ON.

JUST A THOUGHT..MAYBE HE FELT UNCLAIMED IS HARDER TO GET BACK THRU LEGAL THAN ITS HIS BUT SHOW A PAYCHECK STUB OR GET THE LAWN CREW TO VALIDATE HIS CLAIM THAT HE WORKED HARD FOR DA MONEY!!!

06-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Many of you out there must only know a very small percentage of the Merkel fiasco. Hopefully some day it will all become public but not by me. I agree the money incident was not a huge deal, but there's so much more. So go ahead and base it soley on that and think he's getting the shaft. And there's no doubt if patrolmen made $100k per year the "NO RATS" and other slugs would still dodge calls and show up late to back up there brothers (or not show up at all). There is nothing that would ever make some people/cops content. I don't do this job for the CM or the A/CM. I do it to have fun and put real bad guys in jail. Who knows why you others came here. Go home and brag to your wife and kids that again you did absolutely nothing to earn a paycheck. I'm sure they'll be so very proud.

You surely will know the facts these guys obviously will have to testify in a court of law about what occurred. That is if the state seeks to go thru with the sharade. The S.A. cares more about hanging cops than anything else these guys aren't testifying agaist someone for transporting cocaine for the mob like bso today announced. They are hanging a cop that served good or no for years like you may have for putting a dope boys cash in safekeeping. You can imagine being charged with a felony no retirement right.

06-24-2008, 01:48 PM
The last I saw, the State Attorney office that worked hard at prosecuting the murder of a Ft. Lauderdale police officer and still has several retired Ft. Lauderdale police officers working as investigators. So tell us just how many innocent police officers have they sent to jail? For those of you who whine and complain about how no one in the city likes you, how bad the job is, go someplace else. If you want to get paid the highest pay in the county, then start acting like your the best in the county. And try coming up with a response other than I and the rest who disagree with you are just "company boys." We were men working in this city while you were still peeing in your diapers.

06-24-2008, 07:29 PM
NO RATS = NO WORK.... since the day you arrived. You've been "working to the rule" since you got off FTO. I'll repeat it more clearly: I don't do this job for City Hall, the brass, my sergeant or even especially for the citizens. I do it becasue it can be fun. That's the definition of a company boy - ha.? Your ten hour days must drag on like a slow death. And don't worry I won't expect you to show up at any Code 3/94's, 10-31's, etc, because you never have in the past - and everyone knows you're that way. xoxo The company boy..... ha ha ha ha

P.S. When someone brings up the words miserable SLUG, does your name always come up? If so, please use that as your new screen name.

06-25-2008, 08:43 AM
The last I saw, the State Attorney office that worked hard at prosecuting the murder of a Ft. Lauderdale police officer and still has several retired Ft. Lauderdale police officers working as investigators. So tell us just how many innocent police officers have they sent to jail? For those of you who whine and complain about how no one in the city likes you, how bad the job is, go someplace else. If you want to get paid the highest pay in the county, then start acting like your the best in the county. And try coming up with a response other than I and the rest who disagree with you are just "company boys." We were men working in this city while you were still peeing in your diapers.

The old Ft. Lauderdale is gone !!! We are no longer allowed to do the job!! Everyone will keep feeding their families if they just go get the 4 arrests a month and 1 ticket a day, handle the delayed 21's. The real criminals can run wild if we care we'll undoubtabily speed and be written up. These former detectives were they like the current ones? that when they were on the road thier monthly stats were 2 citations no arrests they are awesome. We will never be the highest paid just realize that.

06-27-2008, 02:25 PM
agreed... things have changed forever...

[quote="retired guest":1vmr4kv0]The last I saw, the State Attorney office that worked hard at prosecuting the murder of a Ft. Lauderdale police officer and still has several retired Ft. Lauderdale police officers working as investigators. So tell us just how many innocent police officers have they sent to jail? For those of you who whine and complain about how no one in the city likes you, how bad the job is, go someplace else. If you want to get paid the highest pay in the county, then start acting like your the best in the county. And try coming up with a response other than I and the rest who disagree with you are just "company boys." We were men working in this city while you were still peeing in your diapers.

The old Ft. Lauderdale is gone !!! We are no longer allowed to do the job!! Everyone will keep feeding their families if they just go get the 4 arrests a month and 1 ticket a day, handle the delayed 21's. The real criminals can run wild if we care we'll undoubtabily speed and be written up. These former detectives were they like the current ones? that when they were on the road thier monthly stats were 2 citations no arrests they are awesome. We will never be the highest paid just realize that.[/quote:1vmr4kv0]

06-27-2008, 07:42 PM
who cares