PDA

View Full Version : Lateral transfer

06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm an officer at a large department here in FL and was thinking of making the move to the Orlando area. Is OCSO actively recruiting right now? Also, I know there can't be any unbiased answers to this, but would you say OCSO is a good agency to go with now, and how is Orlando PD? I've done some research on OCSO general orders and don't hear anything negative about the agency. Thanks in advance.

06-16-2008, 07:05 PM
OCSO is actively recruiting. Go to www.OCSO.com (http://www.OCSO.com) for details on the hiring process. OCSO is a good agency; put the pay is not where it should be. Hopefully with a new Sheriff starting next year, that will change. There are also a lot of opportunities to move around within the agency.

I would apply here, especially if you have experience. Once we get the new Sheriff, the pay will hopefully come up and we will lose a lot of the dead weight up at the top. OPD pays more, but do your research. I hope this helped.

06-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the advice, I've done some research online reading your general orders and am attempting to get a ride along when I drop off my application in the next week or two. And I agree about the pay, at 3 years experience a deputy at OCSO makes $5,000 less a year then an officer at my current agency with no prior makes starting out.

I'm more looking for an agency where I can make a career with solid leadership where an officer/deputy can do aggressive pro-active policework with a minimum of politics coming from the chain of command. Unfortunatly that's not the case at my current agency...

06-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm more looking for an agency where I can make a career with solid leadership where an officer/deputy can do aggressive pro-active policework with a minimum of politics coming from the chain of command. Unfortunatly that's not the case at my current agency...

If you can handle the pay, then you will go far here. We are a very pro-arrest and pro-policework agency, and we are big enough that you can stay well clear of the politics.

06-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the comments, but one last thing. Does the agency have a tobacco policy? Alot of agencies in my area say no tobacco for 6 months before applying.

RedDog
06-18-2008, 02:38 AM
I don't think they have a hiring process that forbids tobacco. However, you cannot use tobacco products in any Orange County SO buildings and/or vehicles.

Good Luck! This is a great agency and hopefully the money will follow soon.

Red