PDA

View Full Version : Physical Assessements

06-16-2008, 12:29 AM
The GrimReaper is back! Did ya miss me?
Here’s my spin on the Physical Assessments………

FWC staff had a great idea to promote fitness for their officers. It was presented in a non-pressured up beat method. They discussed individual health for the officers. We heard about making good choices to keep ourselves healthy. You remember this presentation a few years ago. It was a program that was designed to inspire us to simply be healthy. I left thinking nothing but good thoughts about the program. Now FAST FORWARD to 2008. I can only speak for what is being done in the North West region……….

The Physical assessments here look NOTHING like what was developed in Tallahassee. The whole idea and concept has been lost. We hear nothing about a healthy lifestyle or healthy choices. ALL we hear about is what happens to those that DO NOT PARTICIPATE! And get this…. Now we are told that if you dress out and have your blood pressure checked…..you participated!!!!!!! What is this about? Let me guess….maybe….making it look like the region had more participants?

And you have to remember…. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE A VOLUNTARY PROGRAM!!!

This year if you do not participate you will…1. Go on a particular day
2. Be assigned a training task while the participants are Coopering
3. Be looked at in a NEGATIVE, UNPROFESSIONAL WAY
4. Feel like your being punished for not volunteering

AND get this…. The reason we are told is because “SEVERAL” people “complained” last year about the non-participants idle time. I wonder if Tallahassee REALLY fell for this excuse. I think NOT! And even if they did…. I don’t believe our program here is what they were hoping for a few years ago. I ask myself….WHO has ruined the program in only TWO years? Who has taken a very helpful and well thought out program and turned it into a punishment tool? Who has now made some of our most seasoned officers feel like they are being singled out?

What will we do NEXT year? Make them wear a Black t-shirt?

If it was my call…I might have looked for ways to promote the program instead of ruining it. Maybe…. Just Maybe…. Make it a fun time for ALL OFFICERS! Have some food and drinks…have the non-participants cook and set up for the party. Take pictures of the days events…. Invite your families…. Shake a few hands…. Eat some homemade Banana pudding…Cheer on the top runners…in other words…RELAX…enjoy the day.
OR
Make everyone upset, DESTROY MORALE, and blame anyone that dares to say a word. Well that’s the North West Way!!!!! Happy Fathers day!

06-16-2008, 01:49 AM
I remember last years PA in the Southwest Region. I was a lowly intern for the Division of Law Enforcement. Even though I was not required to participate or even scored, I participated anyways. There were a bunch of officers who either chose not to participate or could not because their blood pressure was too high.

06-16-2008, 02:11 AM
When are your physical assessments and where? There will be quite a few potential hires completing their physical assessments and interviews in Quincy on the 21st & 22nd.

21Regal
06-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Panama City Beach Office, Pensacola, and Tally/Carrabelle

07-02-2008, 11:37 PM
The GrimReaper is back! Did ya miss me?
Here’s my spin on the Physical Assessments………

FWC staff had a great idea to promote fitness for their officers. It was presented in a non-pressured up beat method. They discussed individual health for the officers. We heard about making good choices to keep ourselves healthy. You remember this presentation a few years ago. It was a program that was designed to inspire us to simply be healthy. I left thinking nothing but good thoughts about the program. Now FAST FORWARD to 2008. I can only speak for what is being done in the North West region……….

The Physical assessments here look NOTHING like what was developed in Tallahassee. The whole idea and concept has been lost. We hear nothing about a healthy lifestyle or healthy choices. ALL we hear about is what happens to those that DO NOT PARTICIPATE! And get this…. Now we are told that if you dress out and have your blood pressure checked…..you participated!!!!!!! What is this about? Let me guess….maybe….making it look like the region had more participants?

And you have to remember…. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE A VOLUNTARY PROGRAM!!!

This year if you do not participate you will…1. Go on a particular day
2. Be assigned a training task while the participants are Coopering
3. Be looked at in a NEGATIVE, UNPROFESSIONAL WAY
4. Feel like your being punished for not volunteering

AND get this…. The reason we are told is because “SEVERAL” people “complained” last year about the non-participants idle time. I wonder if Tallahassee REALLY fell for this excuse. I think NOT! And even if they did…. I don’t believe our program here is what they were hoping for a few years ago. I ask myself….WHO has ruined the program in only TWO years? Who has taken a very helpful and well thought out program and turned it into a punishment tool? Who has now made some of our most seasoned officers feel like they are being singled out?

What will we do NEXT year? Make them wear a Black t-shirt?

If it was my call…I might have looked for ways to promote the program instead of ruining it. Maybe…. Just Maybe…. Make it a fun time for ALL OFFICERS! Have some food and drinks…have the non-participants cook and set up for the party. Take pictures of the days events…. Invite your families…. Shake a few hands…. Eat some homemade Banana pudding…Cheer on the top runners…in other words…RELAX…enjoy the day.
OR
Make everyone upset, DESTROY MORALE, and blame anyone that dares to say a word. Well that’s the North West Way!!!!! Happy Fathers day!Your exactly right! This program was intended to motivate officers to live healthier lives. It has been completely ruined in the NW region. We all know who ruined it!

07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Please keep the darn trophies that were supposed to be given out! That will save alolt of wasteful sepending. The shirts were sufficient.