PDA

View Full Version : 4-10 Questions

06-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Will we have to take 10 hours of sick/annual/FSL, if we have or want to take a day off? What about off duty, we we be limited to 6 hour, off duty shifts instead of 8 to stay with in the 16 hour rule? Or is the agency going to adjust the 16 hour rule? Just a couple of questions I need answered, before I take this survey that's coming out.

06-14-2008, 05:51 PM
I think taking 10 hours of leave is crazy Is that going to be the case?? I don't get how that works. And yes, what about the offduty hours, will we only be able to work on our days off, unless it a 6 hour or less detail? How in the world does that work? If I work my shift from 8a to 6p, then my detail from 9p to 5a will I be OK? Since my driving time doesn't count, now i am working 11 or 12 hour days, depending on how far I have to drive??? One of you ever so smart guys out there, can you help me, pleeeese????????????????????????????

06-15-2008, 12:47 AM
i like the ten hour shift,although we are getting ready to lose them. the good part was a seven day break and a three day weekend.what most people did for off duty was work the days off that you had because there was so many of them. and how can your driving time not count? that is in violation of labor law and even d.m.s. rules

06-15-2008, 02:18 AM
If I am scheduled to work 10-6, I have to be at my park at 10, so I leave in time to get there at 10. If i live 30 mins from my park I leave at 9:30, but olny get paid from 10-6 not 9:30 to 6:30, this is how.

06-15-2008, 05:50 PM
so do you drive with blinders on?i am not tyring to start anything , but i would look into that one. look at it this way. while enroute to your area you get into a wreck,is the agency going to cover you? if you are not 10-8 then you are not covered if you are 10-8 then by every rule out there you are to be paid. quite a conundrum. check into it,sounds like a superviser is trying to get more for nothing.

06-16-2008, 03:20 AM
Yeah I drive with my blinder's on, only on my way home though LOL Yes DEP will cover me if i make a stop, wreck, back up someone, get into a shoot out. It's all good, I enjoy what I do, so no big deal. 3 days off week and a 7 day stretch in ther too, way cool!

06-17-2008, 02:00 AM
I think taking 10 hours of leave is crazy Is that going to be the case?? I don't get how that works. And yes, what about the offduty hours, will we only be able to work on our days off, unless it a 6 hour or less detail? How in the world does that work? If I work my shift from 8a to 6p, then my detail from 9p to 5a will I be OK? Since my driving time doesn't count, now i am working 11 or 12 hour days, depending on how far I have to drive??? One of you ever so smart guys out there, can you help me, pleeeese????????????????????????????

If you have a ten hour day, how many hours do you think you'll have to take off to make up for a 10 hour day? And this is someone carrying a gun and badge? Wise up, you're getting another day off per week which means you'll need to take fewer days leave overall. As for the off duty hours, that's a valid issue that someone needs to address.

06-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I have never worked four tens with any agency, so I am wondering what the typical rotation of a schedule looks like. I am assuming that we will still be on the 28 day schedule?

It will be nice to eliminate the seven day stretch that you have to work, for example, when you rotate from Mon&Tues off to Wed/ Thurs off.

I realize it is more hours, but at least when your days off get pulled for a holiday or special event, you will only have to work 10 or 11 days without a day off instead of 14 or sometimes 21. The days will be longer days, but the end of the tunnel seems a little closer.

All in all, I am really looking forward to it. Although, I hope that the off duty hours are increased to 10 hours. If not, that will hit us in the wallet pretty hard.

06-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I think that the 4/10 would be great. I just hope the officers that sit in their trucks all day, or sit at home 10-8 all day, dont complain that the days will be to long. I know that FWC went to 4/10's but the old farts complained that the days were to long and there was nothing to do. I, for one, dont feel that 8 hours is ever enough time in a day. Lets hope we get it!

06-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the positive comments! Yes I think the off duty hours are an issue. Of course we have 3 days a week to work offduty, but not all areas have that So. Fla. detail opportunity. Heard one of the SW Lt's was adjusting his hours for the I-95 detail but wouldn't let his peeps adjust anytime?? OK adjusting is against policy, but it is done all the time. Hope that Lt pays off his pool or new car. Sorry field guys, that just isn't right!!

06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
MS. Shiftwork,

Nice attempt at a slam to the LT. Whats your real problem with him? Did not get your way?

06-24-2008, 01:52 AM
No problem here with O/D or my supervisor. I don't work in the SW, just going on what I heard from others who do work there. Seriously, plenty of stuff to keep the IG's office earning thier pay checks, but I guess people are afraid to report them, a small thing called reatliation??? What exacty does Ms. stand for anyway? LOL

DolphinsRule
06-25-2008, 11:43 PM
What's up with the slam on the SW District Lt.? If you aren't from the district you shouldn't be spreading rumors. I am very much aware of what goes on in the district and I think that the Lt. is up front and fair with everyone. Maybe you need to stay in your own district and not slam someone elses. Stick to what you know is fact...not what someone has told you.

06-26-2008, 11:11 AM
DOLPHINS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Truth
06-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Shiftwork may be a sissy. Since just writing things here without any facts is shiftworks forte, then let us assume some things about little Shiftwork.

Probably the first LEO job. The Lt. probably corrected Shiftwork or paid no attention to Shiftwork in the past. Maybe Shiftwork views the Lt. as a threat for a future position or is jealous of the Lt's success. Maybe the Lt. is a happy, positive person and Shiftwork wants to be just like him, but Shiftwork can't get any recognition. That may frustrate Shiftwork, causing episodes much like we are witnessing here in Shiftworks postings.

Shiftwork needs a hug. Will someone please give Shiftwork a hug?

06-26-2008, 10:32 PM
What we get each time we look at our paychecks!!!! Hugs? I like hugs LOL

DolphinsRule
06-27-2008, 12:26 AM
This post is supposed to be about the possibility of going to 4-10 a work week, not slamming people. I like the Dolphins...mostly the ones that swim in the Gulf...they don't talk alot. There may be some areas that need to be worked out with the 4-10's. Details are one of those areas. Alot depends on how they schedule it. Hang in there and don't sweat the small stuff.

06-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Are lts and capts going to that schedule??? Interesting the Tally HR person is, thought that position would need to be available 5 days a week? But what do I know, just the low man on the totem pole :P

06-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Are lts and capts going to that schedule??? Interesting the Tally HR person is, thought that position would need to be available 5 days a week? But what do I know, just the low man on the totem pole :P

O.K. here we go with Tallahassee again. Let the brass in Tally do what they want, it has never stopped them before.

As for me, I want the 4-10's. For an extra 2 hours a day I can figure out something to do and then for 3 days I can stay away from this place. The more time off, the better for me!

If you work 10 hour days, then you must take 10 hours off for sick or annual leave. End of story. Deal with it and move on!

Bring on the 12 hour days. If we do that, then we actually work only 50% of the year. It must work because other agencies use it....but what do I know, I work for the State where we are the only agencies to work 8 hour shifts. Get in the 21st century PLEASE.

07-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Remember, though it seems like a lot of leave to have to take for one day, but lets put it into perspective.

3 days off a week on 10 hour shifts (regular days off)
2 days off a week with 8 hour shifts (regular days off)= 8 hours leave to make 3 days off.

4 days off uses 10 hours of leave on 10 hour days,
4 days off uses 16 hours leave on 8 hour shifts.

Yes, sick leave is the only time I see you will burn a little more leave once and a while, but most of us have so much of that, who cares.

Think about it, more days off for less leave is what it really boils down to.

As far as off duty, I have to work it on my days off anyways because most of the jobsites I work usually run 12 hour shifts anyway. So won't matter much for road work anyway.

07-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Does anybody have a clue as to when the 4-10's will be implemented?

Anything?
Anyone?

07-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Does anybody have a clue as to when the 4-10's will be implemented?

Anything?
Anyone?

Probably never, we have to make sure the park service approves :roll:

07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I heard a rumor that a super secret roll out of the 4 10's will be happening. Maybe as soon as the next schedule change?!?!??!?

What gives? Ask a supervisor and they either say they don't know (and apparently don't care enough to find out!) or do know and just aren't saying!

With school starting again in August, I would like to know what kind of child care I need to start arranging. So what's up Tally? How about a little information rolling down to the grunts!!

07-08-2008, 10:05 PM
I know, you would think that we work for the CIA. I find it hard to believe that there is no one that is willing to let us know something. I have things that I need to arrange. School schedules and what not to figure out. Day care....etc Come on Tally, throw is a bone.

07-10-2008, 01:27 AM
I know, you would think that we work for the CIA. I find it hard to believe that there is no one that is willing to let us know something. I have things that I need to arrange. School schedules and what not to figure out. Day care....etc Come on Tally, throw is a bone.

They don't give a sh_ _ about you!

07-10-2008, 10:56 AM
I believe Tallahssee does care, but they don't consider the big picture ALL the time. With the 4-10 schedule, people will have to make adjustments in their lives. Mention this to your supervisors and have them relay your concerns up the chain of command. Griping here, might make you feel better, but we need to speak up if we want to be heard. Give it a shot, it just might get results. Be safe, be smart and go home at the end if the day!

07-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Did anyone consider posting these concerns on the survey???

07-10-2008, 11:34 PM
There is not now, nor there will ever be, a schedule that will make every body happy.
There will always be people with babysitting problems, school problems, etc.
In as long as there is some flexibility in the implementation of the 4/10 things will work out.
Oh, yes, some of us may have to make some adjustments, but the extra day off is worth it.