I. Knife Wielding Suspects

II. Upcoming Street Survival Seminars
III. Research law enforcement grants at PoliceGrantsHelp.com

PoliceOne.com Features
PoliceOne Degree Finder
Law Enforcement News
Research Topics
Officer Safety Section (Secure)

Knife Wielding Suspects: Are You Dealing With Them Accordingly?

By Officer Michael J. Aziz, Boston PD
After you read this article please ask yourself the above question again. It may save your life!

I recently watched a video on PoliceOne TV of an interview with Dennis Tueller of the Salt Lake City Police Department [Watch the clip]. This interview got me thinking again about the many, many myths out there regarding the so-called “21 Foot Rule.” To recap, Dennis Tueller never stated that when a bad guy armed with a knife reaches that magical 21-foot mark, you can blast him. He never said that. However through the years, there has been a “graying” of this GUIDELINE, and some instructors have incorrectly taught just that. This faulty comprehension poses great liability for the officers, instructors, and on up the line for any lawsuit that would come from such a situation.

Dennis Tueller, through his research, showed that a subject armed with a knife is very lethal at a distance of 21 feet or less, and that an unsuspecting officer would be in grave danger. The time it would take that officer to see the threat, recognize it as serious, break leather, bring his firearm up on target and send rounds down range is approximately the same amount of time it would take that armed attacker to cross the 21 feet and stab or slash at the officer. It should also be noted that the attacker, more than likely, would not just “fall down and die” like shown in the movies, even when the officer hits him center mass.
Though the officer would be in grave danger in the scenario above, other facts and circumstances change the outcome. What if there were objects which could be used as cover and concealment between the two? What if the officer had classified the subject as a lethal threat and had him in his firearm’s sights? At what distance can the officer shoot the subject? That is up for great debate, and I would suggest it is a case-by-case situation, as there are still too many circumstances which can change the level or immanency of the threat.

I would also suggest that new studies would show that attackers can cross even more distance today than in 1983 when Dennis Tueller’s article first appeared. I believe this is due to the generations of talk concerning living the healthy lifestyle. Eat right, work out, get sleep, etc. etc. etc. Some of these attackers are in better shape than ever. Still some are worse off, due to the increase in drug and alcohol abuse but again, all the education and effort spent on training the public at large to be healthy has made dangerous people more dangerous.

This brings me to my next thought. There was a little invention a few years back which has become mainstream and very popular. That invention was the “clip” which is now attached to many knives out in the market. This is a great tool for police officers in the field. I say this because subjects of yesterday were armed with knives but they were hidden inside the pocket. Today, those same subjects are still armed, but they seemingly are broadcasting to the world that they are armed. The clip is visibly seen on the pocket. That clip to a street officer should raise red flags. Officers should recognize this as an armed subject.

However, some officers are becoming very complacent when it comes to these knives. Perhaps it’s because so many people have them. Just think for a minute how many people have you seen who have a knife clipped to their pocket? Even construction workers have utility knives which are clipped to their pockets!

Don’t forget that knives are easier to purchase than firearms. People don’t need any kind of permit. People aren’t restricted from buying them if they have a criminal record. They are cheaper than a gun and are user friendly. They also serve multiple purposes, from personal protection to the functionality of a utility tool.
When an officer encounters someone who has a knife clipped to their pocket, the officer must recognize this threat and deal with it accordingly. An officer never knows what goes through another person’s mind. The subject might be friendly and congenial at the outset, but as the encounter unfolds, the offender could change his mind and become a lethal threat to the officer. My father often said, “Arrest of a suspect requires an officer to overcome both the physical as well as emotional problems exhibited by the suspect.”
Most officer / subject encounters are within four to six feet. That being said and having Dennis Tueller’s research in mind, the officer is at a severe disadvantage. When in the field, the officer should at a minimum disarm the subject, through appropriate means, until the encounter is over.
When the encounter is concluded and police action is complete, the officer has several options of giving the knife back to the subject. However, never, never give the weapon back to the subject directly! When I am in the field, I don’t give the knife back to the subject when the encounter is over. I usually put the knife in the subject’s car on the floor, or on the ground a distance away from the subject. I tell the subject he can get it after I leave. This gives me time to continue my assessment of the subject’s actions and compliance. And just as importantly, it gives me time to create distance between me and the subject prior to the subject re-arming himself.

It has also occurred to me that many police officers carry these very same knives clipped to their pockets. They also broadcast to everyone that they have a knife, and this is where it is (see the clip!??). However many officers forget that this clipped knife needs to stay in their control. In training we teach them how to keep their gun in the holster. We tend to focus only on firearm security. We should be teaching officers how to keep all of their weapons, including the clipped knife, secure during encounters. We need officers to be conscious and alert to the fact that it’s not just their firearm they need to fear loosing during a physical fight, but any of their weapons – including their clipped knife!

Please remember – wear your vest, stay armed, and stay safe!
Related article:
Edged Weapon Defense: Is or was the 21-foot rule valid?

About the author:
Michael J. Aziz has over 12 years of police experience. He currently works for the Boston Police Department, assigned to the Mattapan/Dorchester neighborhoods. He is a Police Academy instructor in the area of Use of Force and Defensive tactics; he has taught for the last 10 years at all levels of instruction. He is also an Applied Patrol Procedures instructor. He can be reached at AzizM.bpd@ci.boston.ma.us

06-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Oops! Misspelled BULLETIN

06-15-2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the heads up. :D

06-15-2008, 01:01 PM

Geeze....get a life or were you a school teacher in a another life.

06-15-2008, 02:14 PM

Geeze....get a life or were you a school teacher in a another life.

Blow it out your ass. Did I spell everything correctly that time?

06-15-2008, 04:25 PM
The only suspects you need to concern yourself with are those with cigarettes. Watch out for the lighters they may burn you.

The article put out in Caliber Press by Boston P.D. is for Law Enforcement use.............not babysitting duties.

Go make some cookies and change a diaper.

06-15-2008, 07:53 PM
The fact that I am on the "front line" cruising bowling alley parking lots, movie venues and mall food courts gives you the freedom to answer barking dog calls and pick up the chief's secretary's dry cleaning. If I wasn't out there writing smoking citations - it would be you trying to work the task into your busy "law enforcement" schedule. Next time I drive through an intersection where you are directing traffic in 100 degree heat @ 97% humidity, I'lll toss you a towel and water. Carry on.

06-15-2008, 08:23 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your postings raise a few points of interest:
Your disdain of ABT suggests that your an LEO of a different stripe. Without a crystal ball it's difficult to understand your contempt and disrespect for an agency and/or persons you probably don't know. It also raises the question as to why you would even visit our site. Difficult as it was I was able to come up with several scenarios that might explain your attitude. Actually, I came up with 10 reasons:

1. Your momma dropped you on your head shortly after birth.
2. Investigation by Child Protection authorities revealed that
she did it on purpose.
3. Before you were born she was against abortion.
4. After you were born she changed her mind.
5. You were then placed in foster care.
6. They didn't like you either.
7. You have a hang up about diapers because nobody ever changed
yours. Even today you still have that stink about you.
8. Your daddy never gave you any guidance because that's hard to
do when you're doing 25yrs to life.
9. ABT didn't hire you because:
10. You didn't know how to make cookies and your diaper rash was
visable up to your neck.

Since your post belies ABT as a bunch of pansies I invite you to inject yourself into the circumstance of ABT serving an emergency order of suspension or service of a search warrant and try interferring with that process. I can assure you that there will be no cookies and your stinking diaper will get changed.

06-15-2008, 08:39 PM
The fact that I am on the "front line" cruising bowling alley parking lots, movie venues and mall food courts gives you the freedom to answer barking dog calls and pick up the chief's secretary's dry cleaning. If I wasn't out there writing smoking citations - it would be you trying to work the task into your busy "law enforcement" schedule. Next time I drive through an intersection where you are directing traffic in 100 degree heat @ 97% humidity, I'lll toss you a towel and water. Carry on.

Thanks for your post. I'm the one that posted the Calibre Press training bulletin because it covered a subject that I always regarded as dangerous, ie a person armed with a knife. I'm scared to death of being attacked with a knife and I always told my partner that if someone in a bar tried to atack me with a knife I would not hesitate to blow his ass away. Over the years I've read several articles on the so called 21 foot rule and since this article addressed that scenario I felt it would be interesting reading for our agents. In posting it I misspelled bulletin and came back to correct my mistake only to have some ass*hole start this bashing bull*shit. Correcting my mistake is just me. I like to have things right if I'm the one making the statement. You have to wonder why he's on our site anyway. With an attitude like his he's probably lonely and the people at his agency have already told him where his ass is.

06-17-2008, 10:02 PM
The only suspects you need to concern yourself with are those with cigarettes. Watch out for the lighters they may burn you.

The article put out in Caliber Press by Boston P.D. is for Law Enforcement use.............not babysitting duties.

Hey wuss, what happened? Looks like you can disk it out but when someone calls you hand, you open up a can of haul ass. What a *****. Come on, let's rock n roll.

06-18-2008, 03:08 AM

Hey wuss, what happened? Looks like you can disk it out but when someone calls you hand, you open up a can of haul ass. What a .. Come on, let's rock n roll.

You couldn't rock and roll with me even if you knew how to spell it. I can tell you I know your agency inside out and it is nothing but a sham portrayed on the citizens and taxpayers of Florida. You couldn't conduct an emergency order or a search warrant on anything other than a day care center. Your agency doesn't even know how to make charges stick. How many times do you have to go to a location and catch them selling to minors before you make your "administrative case?" In the United States we take the license on the first offense!! We don't hide with our heads up our asses but instead actually enforce the laws.

Take your pay check, tell everyone you are in law enforcement and shut up. You will never know what a law enforcement agency is but you can get paid for pretending. I'll put my agency against yours any day. You may get paid for doing nothing but at the end of the day I get paid for actually being a cop!!

06-18-2008, 08:40 PM
You know, he's got a point. Look at what we are today compared to what this agency used to be. We're run by a bunch of political hacks starting at the top with our director. Look at all the top brass, political appointees who owe somebody something. Our current basher seems bitter to me suggesting that perhaps at one time he may have been one of us. If so, he either became disgruntled, unhappy, was fired or left for greener pastures. I'm certain that he knew us not before ABT was placed under DBR and subsequently DBPR. In those days (before establishment of FDLE) we were the only plainclothed investigative law enforcement agency in the state of Florida. How many of you know that during those times we had an aircraft and one of the best pilots (Ed Holmes) that ever flew an aircraft. No Mr. Basher, it wasn't used for trying to spot minors at 10,000 feet, rather it was used for surveillance of violators who were mobile and difficult to follow when engaged in violations such as gambling operations, smuggling of non Florida taxed commodities such as whiskey and cigarettes and narcotics being transferred to and from licensed premises. I flew on many occasions as a "spotter" with pilot Holmes which, Mr. basher, placed me in the back seat for your information. At night it was difficult to maintain an eye on the violator with the thousands of lights glaring back at you from below but Holmes NEVER lost sight of the vehicle and if you lost it he would point it out for you. We lost that aircraft to FDLE and that was a certain clue to many of us as to what was to follow. We did have a pro-enforcement director for a few years by the name of Rasmussen but things went south after him. Harris sold us out to the industry by making minors the priority with little effect when you did meet the high standards of multiple cases for an administrative penalty. The net results of his policy was that it consumed 90% of an agent's time which resulted in major investigations being ignored. Pretty good strategy if your goal is to render the agency ineffective. You can ask yourself if this same mindset continues today and while you're at it, ask yourself what the current director or any of her predecessors of the past 15 years have done to improve the image of ABT, the working conditions, morale, the pay or the mission. Contrary to the view, opinion and disdain of Mr. Basher, I know the quality and credentials of many ABT agents and I'm proud to stand next to most. He bashes us from the sheild of anonymity and his reason is know only to himself. Nothing leading up to his original post vindicates his negativity. Therefore, he must be an individual of mean spirit. If I knew his agency, in all probability I would applaud it and develope a working relationship with his cohorts so as to be able to work on matters of mutual interest. If a person is consumed with only his accomplishments and ambitions, then it's difficult, if not impossible to know the rewards of a job well done that can be shared by people who worked in concert to accomplish a common goal.

06-18-2008, 11:52 PM
You know, he's got a point. Look at what we are today compared to what this agency used to be. We're run by a bunch of political hacks starting at the top with our director. Look at all the top brass, political appointees who owe somebody something. Our current basher seems bitter to me suggesting that perhaps at one time he may have been one of us. If so, he either became disgruntled, unhappy, was fired or left for greener pastures. I'm certain that he knew us not before ABT was placed under DBR and subsequently DBPR. In those days (before establishment of FDLE) we were the only plainclothed investigative law enforcement agency in the state of Florida. How many of you know that during those times we had an aircraft and one of the best pilots (Ed Holmes) that ever flew an aircraft. No Mr. Basher, it wasn't used for trying to spot minors at 10,000 feet, rather it was used for surveillance of violators who were mobile and difficult to follow when engaged in violations such as gambling operations, smuggling of non Florida taxed commodities such as whiskey and cigarettes and narcotics being transferred to and from licensed premises. I flew on many occasions as a "spotter" with pilot Holmes which, Mr. basher, placed me in the back seat for your information. At night it was difficult to maintain an eye on the violator with the thousands of lights glaring back at you from below but Holmes NEVER lost sight of the vehicle and if you lost it he would point it out for you. We lost that aircraft to FDLE and that was a certain clue to many of us as to what was to follow. We did have a pro-enforcement director for a few years by the name of Rasmussen but things went south after him. Harris sold us out to the industry by making minors the priority with little effect when you did meet the high standards of multiple cases for an administrative penalty. The net results of his policy was that it consumed 90% of an agent's time which resulted in major investigations being ignored. Pretty good strategy if your goal is to render the agency ineffective. You can ask yourself if this same mindset continues today and while you're at it, ask yourself what the current director or any of her predecessors of the past 15 years have done to improve the image of ABT, the working conditions, morale, the pay or the mission. Contrary to the view, opinion and disdain of Mr. Basher, I know the quality and credentials of many ABT agents and I'm proud to stand next to most. He bashes us from the sheild of anonymity and his reason is know only to himself. Nothing leading up to his original post vindicates his negativity. Therefore, he must be an individual of mean spirit. If I knew his agency, in all probability I would applaud it and develope a working relationship with his cohorts so as to be able to work on matters of mutual interest. If a person is consumed with only his accomplishments and ambitions, then it's difficult, if not impossible to know the rewards of a job well done that can be shared by people who worked in concert to accomplish a common goal.

The aircraft was used to spot stills.

06-19-2008, 02:20 PM

Your response suggests to me that you're saying the aircraft was used for only that purpose and dismisses those illegal activities that I articulated in my last post. If that's what you're saying then you either don't know what you're talking about or your repugnance of ABT is so compelling that you've become blinded to the truth. My belief is that it is the latter. Since you've come to this issue absent of invitation, your agenda is revealed and speaks volumns about your view of self importance. This will be my last response to your condesending and insulting remarks. What follows is in the record and reflective of the caliber of personnel within the ranks of ABT:

Information came to us that a gambling operation was being conducted within a licensed premises. Investigation revealed that not only was this information correct but the person promoting the illegal gambling activity had the premises illegally leased from the hotel's ownership. No employee / employer relationship. The gambling involved weekly bets on professional and collegiate games with football parlay cards being the manner in which the bets were placed. Our UC agents were successful in placing bets using these cards and also found out where the parlay cards were being printed. Further, that the violator was providing these cards to other licensed premises in the area for the purpose of gambling. In order to know these circumstances we had to follow him. We did that with vehicles and an AIRCRAFT which gave us the ability to move whenever he moved. The investigation lasted for about two months. We had two FDLE agents working with us (by invitation) for the undercover aspect of the operation while also bringing ABT agents from south Florida to assist. On one day I spent 12 hours either in the aircraft following the violator or sitting at the airport waiting for our ground surveillance units to radio us that he was on the move again. The investigation ended with great success. The person who had illegally leased the licensed premises was arrested and charged with operating a gambling house (felony). His BMW with less than 10,000 miles was seized and subsequently forfeited to ABT. A large amount of money was seized relative to the gambling activities and of course administrative charges were palced against the licensee resulting in a substantial fine. In the process of documenting the illegal lease agreement between the licensee and the leasee, the licensee objected to our examining the business records and demanded that we produce a warrant. He also had us speak with his attorney by phone who didn't know any more about the beverage law than did his client. In the end we did our job and celebrated the success among all who had participated, ABT, FDLE etc. These are the type of investigations that I like to work because they represent a challenge. Many of ABT agents of today are up to the challenge and although things have changed, my hope is that people of your ilk won't be able to poison their minds. As I said earlier, I will not waste any more time responding to your insults. Also, whether you like it or not, if I see another news release put out by Calibre Press that I think of intrest to agents of ABT it will be posted.

06-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Your response suggests to me that you're saying the aircraft was used for only that purpose and dismisses those illegal activities that I articulated in my last post. If that's what you're saying then you either don't know what you're talking about or your repugnance of ABT is so compelling that you've become blinded to the truth. My belief is that it is the latter. Since you've come to this issue absent of invitation, your agenda is revealed and speaks volumns about your view of self importance. This will be my last response to your condesending and insulting remarks. What follows is in the record and reflective of the caliber of personnel within the ranks of ABT:

Information came to us that a gambling operation was being conducted within a licensed premises. Investigation revealed that not only was this information correct but the person promoting the illegal gambling activity had the premises illegally leased from the hotel's ownership. No employee / employer relationship. The gambling involved weekly bets on professional and collegiate games with football parlay cards being the manner in which the bets were placed. Our UC agents were successful in placing bets using these cards and also found out where the parlay cards were being printed. Further, that the violator was providing these cards to other licensed premises in the area for the purpose of gambling. In order to know these circumstances we had to follow him. We did that with vehicles and an AIRCRAFT which gave us the ability to move whenever he moved. The investigation lasted for about two months. We had two FDLE agents working with us (by invitation) for the undercover aspect of the operation while also bringing ABT agents from south Florida to assist. On one day I spent 12 hours either in the aircraft following the violator or sitting at the airport waiting for our ground surveillance units to radio us that he was on the move again. The investigation ended with great success. The person who had illegally leased the licensed premises was arrested and charged with operating a gambling house (felony). His BMW with less than 10,000 miles was seized and subsequently forfeited to ABT. A large amount of money was seized relative to the gambling activities and of course administrative charges were palced against the licensee resulting in a substantial fine. In the process of documenting the illegal lease agreement between the licensee and the leasee, the licensee objected to our examining the business records and demanded that we produce a warrant. He also had us speak with his attorney by phone who didn't know any more about the beverage law than did his client. In the end we did our job and celebrated the success among all who had participated, ABT, FDLE etc. These are the type of investigations that I like to work because they represent a challenge. Many of ABT agents of today are up to the challenge and although things have changed, my hope is that people of your ilk won't be able to poison their minds. As I said earlier, I will not waste any more time responding to your insults. Also, whether you like it or not, if I see another news release put out by Calibre Press that I think of intrest to agents of ABT it will be posted.

Your responses to me sound like you are full of hot air. You are an old timer that use to work here and must continually try to justify what you did to suit your own ego. You thought you had a law enforcement job but infact you just sat on you lazy ass and collected your pay check. Nothing wrong with that but don't put yourself in the same category as a law enforcement officer. Simply say you were an administrative hack and let it go at that.

06-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm proud to be an old timer myselff...a few of young guys want to be like the TV cops and have no idea how it used to be when this place was a great place to work. It's been my experience that when someone attempts to put others down and act as if they are the only ones who can do a job, ususally have the biggest ego and believe they are super cops and are nothing more than a big joke. So super cop (in your own mind) how does any agency get along without the likes of you? You should be working for, rather in charge of, some federal agency like DEA or the FBI.
It must be nice to believe you are the best.

06-21-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm proud to be an old timer myselff...a few of young guys want to be like the TV cops and have no idea how it used to be when this place was a great place to work. It's been my experience that when someone attempts to put others down and act as if they are the only ones who can do a job, ususally have the biggest ego and believe they are super cops and are nothing more than a big joke. So super cop (in your own mind) how does any agency get along without the likes of you? You should be working for, rather in charge of, some federal agency like DEA or the FBI.

He sounds like some prema donna MF'er to me. What agency of the "United States" issues licenses that can be revoked on the first offense? Heard of any nuclear power plant's license being revoked recently? Maybe he invalidates food stamp coupons at the checkout at Winn Dixie.

06-21-2008, 01:48 PM

He sounds like some prema donna MF'er to me. What agency of the "United States" issues licenses that can be revoked on the first offense? Heard of any nuclear power plant's license being revoked recently? Maybe he invalidates food stamp coupons at the checkout at Winn Dixie.

me thinks he's lonely and crying out for attention maybe he dea and revokes doctor license. maybe he dept of agriculture and revoke license to raise chickens and maybe, just maybe he be vice president in charge of sex & music . What do that mean you say? It means that if we want his f-u-c-k-i-n-g advice we'll whistle.

06-21-2008, 04:08 PM
He might be a homo trying to hook up with a macho dude @ ABT?

06-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Now y'all be nice. He obviously sees himself as a very important person so don't steal his thunder. If, in his mind he's better than everyone else, what harm can that do us?

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers."

~Kahlil Gibran

06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I bet he's on the Navy Seal's website bashing them. I'd like to have a ticket to that event.

06-23-2008, 02:10 AM

Why don't you use your investigative skills and find out what agencies revoke on the first offense? It shouldn't be hard but then again you were trained by ABT so all you know how to find is your ass!