PDA

View Full Version : Semi Truck w/passenger Question

06-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I am currently working a fatality investigation in my county involving a semi-tractor trailer. I have honestly no clue for I dont deal with indepth Motor Carrier statutes and would like some insight.

I have a gentleman who has a Class 'A' valid Florida Driver's license. He has an endorsement for passengers. He is the owner, operator, and driver of the semi truck that was involved. He had his 4 year old in a booster seat with a seat belt at the time when a truck tried to go headon with the semi truck.

My Sgt is pressing the issue with this child being in the truck. The child and the driver of the semi were unharmed and were fine. They were released on their own recognance (SIC). I need some help.

06-10-2008, 11:58 PM
I am currently working a fatality investigation in my county involving a semi-tractor trailer. I have honestly no clue for I dont deal with indepth Motor Carrier statutes and would like some insight.

I have a gentleman who has a Class 'A' valid Florida Driver's license. He has an endorsement for passengers. He is the owner, operator, and driver of the semi truck that was involved. He had his 4 year old in a booster seat with a seat belt at the time when a truck tried to go headon with the semi truck.

My Sgt is pressing the issue with this child being in the truck. The child and the driver of the semi were unharmed and were fine. They were released on their own recognance (SIC). I need some help.

You can find the unauthorized passenger statute under Title 49 C.F.R 392.60. If he is a owner operator of the truck, he is good. If he is leased by a company then he is required to have a letter (permission slip) on file with the company. As for the child, the same child restraint laws are applied. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to call the local office in your area.