PDA

View Full Version : CARL

06-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Does anyone know why Dept. of Ag (DACS) patrols CARL lands? It seems that the L/E function is being duplicated since this is an FWC core mission. Also, this was one of the topics of the sunshine review. Believe DACS has about 15 positions statewide.

06-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Good! lets move 15 officers to the coast and put them in a boat.

08-12-2008, 11:11 PM
I have met 2 of these guys in south fl and they don't do squat. Besides go 10-8 and 10-42 on the radio. How lazy.

08-13-2008, 04:05 AM
You are right, we don't do jack but the land is managed by Forestry who happens to be under the Dept of Ag. We log in a few miles, make some citizen contacts on the state forest and get home by 5:30. It really is the best kept secret in state government. We are here to make sure the public has a pleasant day on the forest and looks forward to returning soon. Sure you could do it but you would get bored and probably not spend as much time on my forest as the managers want. You would be at the honey hole boat ramp or check in station making cases to keep your Lt happy. There is little activity here, at best a few hunters during the season. I have not made a criminal case in over 2 years. It's like being a security guard at a retirement home.

Not every LEO position is about writing tickets and putting folks in jail. The difference between mine and yours is you are evaluated based partly on your activity so you move around to the active spots. We are not. Our activity consist of just being on the forest, period. DOF pays for the position so they have some say about where I go. It's a sweet deal. I am never bothered on my day off for court.

Just show up for work and take the money, you'll be a happier person. We don't complain and they just throw stuff at us. We had radar's till we forgot what our core mission was and wrote tickets off the forest. Silly young officer thought he was a real police officer. I just got a new truck with a laptop, 4 wheeler, and did you hear we are getting tazers. I don't know why but it seems to be the new toy that takes everyones attention away from us not getting a raise again. Or could be these jobs are all grant funded and they have a bunch to spend. To much crying on these boards and not enough consolidation about our money.

You boys stop by and see us, its all in fun so don't get mad. We'll fry some mullet and cook up some swap cabbage.

08-13-2008, 01:35 PM
You are right, we don't do jack but the land is managed by Forestry who happens to be under the Dept of Ag. We log in a few miles, make some citizen contacts on the state forest and get home by 5:30. It really is the best kept secret in state government. We are here to make sure the public has a pleasant day on the forest and looks forward to returning soon. Sure you could do it but you would get bored and probably not spend as much time on my forest as the managers want. You would be at the honey hole boat ramp or check in station making cases to keep your Lt happy. There is little activity here, at best a few hunters during the season. I have not made a criminal case in over 2 years. It's like being a security guard at a retirement home.

Not every LEO position is about writing tickets and putting folks in jail. The difference between mine and yours is you are evaluated based partly on your activity so you move around to the active spots. We are not. Our activity consist of just being on the forest, period. DOF pays for the position so they have some say about where I go. It's a sweet deal. I am never bothered on my day off for court.

Just show up for work and take the money, you'll be a happier person. We don't complain and they just throw stuff at us. We had radar's till we forgot what our core mission was and wrote tickets off the forest. Silly young officer thought he was a real police officer. I just got a new truck with a laptop, 4 wheeler, and did you hear we are getting tazers. I don't know why but it seems to be the new toy that takes everyones attention away from us not getting a raise again. Or could be these jobs are all grant funded and they have a bunch to spend. To much crying on these boards and not enough consolidation about our money.

You boys stop by and see us, its all in fun so don't get mad. We'll fry some mullet and cook up some swap cabbage.

Just because you don't want to do your job or do real police work, doesn't mean others don't. This is an obvious waste of taxpayer money. Maybe we shoule post this to the legislature and inform them you would rather be wackenhut. And it appears you do no more then the rest of the Ag units. Whiskey, whiskey, whiskey, whiskey. I think you all are scared of writing a ticket for fear you may get challenged or have to go to court and testify. Either way, I commend you for finding the perfectly matching lazy job that requires no skills to match your personality. I hope the taxpayers are happy with your lack of service because you are scared to do your job.

Anyway, I won't be visiting, I like smoked mullet, not fried.

08-13-2008, 10:29 PM
I did some checking on the CARL positions and found they have about 14 from Naples to Pensacola. I hear they are adding up to 10 more this year and at least that many more each year after. Forget about the Marine Patrol coming back, looks like they might soon be taking us over in the next statewide merger.

08-14-2008, 01:58 AM
DEP, AG, and FWC should be merged to one agency.

08-14-2008, 02:04 AM

Maybe just part of FWC. :wink:

08-14-2008, 02:18 AM

Maybe just part of FWC. :wink:

That would work. Anything to get everyone on the same page and radio freq

08-14-2008, 03:43 AM
The problem with the radios is simple. FWC held out from joint dispatch and made a stand that they were going to maintain their own centers, dispatchers and talkgroups. The governor stepped in and forced FWC at the very least to move their dispatch centers into the regional centers with FHP. They still have their own consoles, talkgroups and dispatchers.

After an incident in the Ft Myers Region last year with an agent who was in the area of an officer on the FHP groups needing assist and him not able to hear or talk, things may change soon for those agencies who chose to go their own way and rumor is FWC and FDLE may add FHP dispatch groups to their radios just for those incidents. Its a shame we all have the same radios and can't talk to one another.

Here's a tip.

Groups 15 and 16 in bank A are common IA talkgroups for every SLERS radio. 15 is an odd numbered group monitored and recored on the console at the dispatch centers. 16 is even and is not monitored. That goes for all IA tac groups in Bank C, odd monitered, even not monitered. IA TAC 81, 82, 83 and 84 are statewide. Do not use those for chit chat unless you want to be heard from Miami to Jacksonville.

For us at FHP, group 15 is programmed as a priority 2 scan and cannot be deleted. If you need to call a trooper direct car to car, use group 15. If they are in your area with their radios scanning and their selected priority group is not active they should hear you. If Ag and FWC or DEP and DOT need to work a detail they should us IA group 16.
If I worked with another agency on a routine basis, I would add 16 to my scan list and call each other from time to time as a car to car.

08-14-2008, 12:43 PM
The problem with the radios is simple. FWC held out from joint dispatch and made a stand that they were going to maintain their own centers, dispatchers and talkgroups. The governor stepped in and forced FWC at the very least to move their dispatch centers into the regional centers with FHP. They still have their own consoles, talkgroups and dispatchers.

After an incident in the Ft Myers Region last year with an agent who was in the area of an officer on the FHP groups needing assist and him not able to hear or talk, things may change soon for those agencies who chose to go their own way and rumor is FWC and FDLE may add FHP dispatch groups to their radios just for those incidents. Its a shame we all have the same radios and can't talk to one another.

Here's a tip.

Groups 15 and 16 in bank A are common IA talkgroups for every SLERS radio. 15 is an odd numbered group monitored and recored on the console at the dispatch centers. 16 is even and is not monitored. That goes for all IA tac groups in Bank C, odd monitered, even not monitered. IA TAC 81, 82, 83 and 84 are statewide. Do not use those for chit chat unless you want to be heard from Miami to Jacksonville.

For us at FHP, group 15 is programmed as a priority 2 scan and cannot be deleted. If you need to call a trooper direct car to car, use group 15. If they are in your area with their radios scanning and their selected priority group is not active they should hear you. If Ag and FWC or DEP and DOT need to work a detail they should us IA group 16.
If I worked with another agency on a routine basis, I would add 16 to my scan list and call each other from time to time as a car to car.

You are right its a shame we all can't communicate. Thanks for the tips!!

08-14-2008, 01:39 PM

Here's a tip.

I work for DEP and want to know how to talk to FWC on these radio banks. I am not a radio geek, but don't understand what you say when you talk about bank A and Bank C.

Could you clarify!!!

08-15-2008, 04:37 PM
The portable radios are designed for use in several markets. Some only use 16 channels so they put a 16 channel knob selector on the top. The software is capable of taking a program with 64 channels referred to as talk groups in the 800 meg world. For the radio to be used with all 64, they had to break it up in 4 banks of 16.

This is what I know from FHP

For FHP Bank A = Patrol Dispatch groups along with car to car, other supervisor groups and
the 2 IA groups in channel 15 and 16. These are the two mentioned in a previous post that every State LEO has in the same channel position. They may have different names on the display but the group should be the same. If you want to talk with an FWC officer that you work with, get together with them, you both select group 16 in bank A and call. Should work.

Bank B = FHP is turnpike Lake Worth Dispatch and away from that area its mirrored with Bank A. Prevents someone in Pensacola listening to turnpike and dragging that traffic across the system using up resources.

Bank C for everyone should be IA tac groups used during multi agency operations such as hurricane response.

Bank D is programmed only in investigators radios and has their dispatch groups used by FDLE, FIre Marshal, ABT, Insurance Fraud, Ag Law, and mostly stays patched to a patrol group due do the low amount of traffic they have.

For the mobile radio, turning the channel knob will allow you to scroll through all 64 available groups. The portables must use the keypad to change from bank to bank allowing access to 16 channels at a time.

First make sure your logged into a system or site and the radio is not displaying WA SCAN or CC SCAN. If it is, you cannot change the banks.

Press 2, 1, menu or the "M" button to access bank A which is the default bank.
Press 2, 17, "M" to access bank B,
Press 2, 33, "M" to access bank C, and 2, 49, "M" for D if you have it. You'll get a beep and nothing if its not programmed in.

Don' forget about Mutual Aid. These channels are programmed into every agencies radio on an 800 Meg system. No matter if its macom, motorola, or EF Johnson, local pd or so if they're on 800 they got em. Trouble is, a lot of users don't know this and or don't know how to move their radio to these channels. The mutual aid system is separate from the Macom system. State dispatch centers monitor Ma-CALL and Ma-Tac1

For the Macom radios, press sys or the 1 key, 1, and menu. this takes you to search tampa, then press the down arrow key on the portables and the grey knob down on the mobiles. Once you see what the system number is for MA you can then directly enter the sys number to access it.

Mutal Aid will appear in the top of the screen and MA-CALL in the bottom. This is the calling channel that the dispatch centers should be monitoring. Once contact is made with an SO or PD, they may move you to a MA-TAC channel, just use the channel knob, turn it to the right till the number shows up. You can then talk directly with the agency units requesting you or whomever you've called. It is a useful but rarely used tool.

Keep turning and you'll see MA-TAC TAlk channels. These are car to car and do not go through a repeater so if all else fails, you can use these to communicate at close range. We used these on a hurricane the first day when EVERYTHING was down in the panhandle and got about 3-5 miles mobile to mobile in wooded terrain.

Thats my 2 cents.

08-15-2008, 04:54 PM
The portable radios are designed for use in several markets. Some only use 16 channels so they put a 16 channel knob selector on the top. The software is capable of taking a program with 64 channels referred to as talk groups in the 800 meg world. For the radio to be used with all 64, they had to break it up in 4 banks of 16.

This is what I know from FHP

For FHP Bank A = Patrol Dispatch groups along with car to car, other supervisor groups and
the 2 IA groups in channel 15 and 16. These are the two mentioned in a previous post that every State LEO has in the same channel position. They may have different names on the display but the group should be the same. If you want to talk with an FWC officer that you work with, get together with them, you both select group 16 in bank A and call. Should work.

Bank B = FHP is turnpike Lake Worth Dispatch and away from that area its mirrored with Bank A. Prevents someone in Pensacola listening to turnpike and dragging that traffic across the system using up resources.

Bank C for everyone should be IA tac groups used during multi agency operations such as hurricane response.

Bank D is programmed only in investigators radios and has their dispatch groups used by FDLE, FIre Marshal, ABT, Insurance Fraud, Ag Law, and mostly stays patched to a patrol group due do the low amount of traffic they have.

For the mobile radio, turning the channel knob will allow you to scroll through all 64 available groups. The portables must use the keypad to change from bank to bank allowing access to 16 channels at a time.

First make sure your logged into a system or site and the radio is not displaying WA SCAN or CC SCAN. If it is, you cannot change the banks.

Press 2, 1, menu or the "M" button to access bank A which is the default bank.
Press 2, 17, "M" to access bank B,
Press 2, 33, "M" to access bank C, and 2, 49, "M" for D if you have it. You'll get a beep and nothing if its not programmed in.

Don' forget about Mutual Aid. These channels are programmed into every agencies radio on an 800 Meg system. No matter if its macom, motorola, or EF Johnson, local pd or so if they're on 800 they got em. Trouble is, a lot of users don't know this and or don't know how to move their radio to these channels. The mutual aid system is separate from the Macom system. State dispatch centers monitor Ma-CALL and Ma-Tac1

For the Macom radios, press sys or the 1 key, 1, and menu. this takes you to search tampa, then press the down arrow key on the portables and the grey knob down on the mobiles. Once you see what the system number is for MA you can then directly enter the sys number to access it.

Mutal Aid will appear in the top of the screen and MA-CALL in the bottom. This is the calling channel that the dispatch centers should be monitoring. Once contact is made with an SO or PD, they may move you to a MA-TAC channel, just use the channel knob, turn it to the right till the number shows up. You can then talk directly with the agency units requesting you or whomever you've called. It is a useful but rarely used tool.

Keep turning and you'll see MA-TAC TAlk channels. These are car to car and do not go through a repeater so if all else fails, you can use these to communicate at close range. We used these on a hurricane the first day when EVERYTHING was down in the panhandle and got about 3-5 miles mobile to mobile in wooded terrain.

Thats my 2 cents.

Thanks for the info.

08-16-2008, 04:14 PM
I've used the IA monitored channels to make contact with a Tropper or DEP unit that I knew was close by. It works pretty good. As to the CARL Lands it is a shame no night patrols are being done. In our area there is enough going on at night just about year round. Go in there after dark and your criminal arrests will go up.