PDA

View Full Version : Patrol Boats

06-08-2008, 06:06 PM
If FWC L/E were a business, it would be bankrupt. There is no reason for almost every assigned SLEO to have a vessel (even on the coast). Have vessels strategically placed around the counties and hot rack the boats. Have a few spares and that would reduce maintenance costs, fuel, etc.. It is just ridiculous the amount of money spent each month on fuel and maintenance costs just so each SLEO can have a boat. Or, is it just so management can tell the legislature there are so many patrol boats out there.... If so, that is why the government is in so much debt. --Just my 2 cents.

06-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Why do we have so many deep draft offshore vessels that spend 90% of their time inshore? We need more shallow draft boats that cost less. Why buy a $40,000 Pathfinder when you can get two Carolina Skiffs for the same price and use half of the horsepower? One of the best all around boats we've bought were the 18' Anglers. Shallow, fast, handled, comfortable, and seaworthy enough for some offshore work.

06-08-2008, 07:03 PM
The questions that make you scratch your head and go hmmm...

06-09-2008, 01:04 AM
I like DEPs 19' skiffs with the 100 hp. Good for inland and river patrol but not much of an offshore, ocean going vessel. Their motors are quiet as all get out too.

06-09-2008, 05:06 PM
If FWC L/E were a business, it would be bankrupt. There is no reason for almost every assigned SLEO to have a vessel (even on the coast). Have vessels strategically placed around the counties and hot rack the boats. Have a few spares and that would reduce maintenance costs, fuel, etc.. It is just ridiculous the amount of money spent each month on fuel and maintenance costs just so each SLEO can have a boat. Or, is it just so management can tell the legislature there are so many patrol boats out there.... If so, that is why the government is in so much debt. --Just my 2 cents.

You are either a rookie or a GW... The Marine Patrol already tried the "Frontline" boat concept... It didn't work and cost more money to put the "spare" boats back in service... Take a look at PDs that hot rack cars... they are ragged out pieces of crap because nobody takes care of them!

A Carolina Skiff?? Great for calm waters on a lake, a river or other protected area, but has no business offshore or anywhere the chop gets over 1 1/2 feet...

The Angler boats were the biggest pieces of crap ever bought!!! They handled like crap and the original 24 footers suffered from catastrophic transom failure.

Ever tried to hip tow another boat with an 18' single engine??? It sucks!!! Tough for even good boat operators to do safely...

Reminds me of just after the merge.... The Lakeland GFC Major visit's the Tampa FMP Office and questions the need for "large", 21' patrol boats... As with you now, he had no clue......

06-09-2008, 06:16 PM
All boat designs have their place but the majority of patrol for FWC is in inland or protected waters.

The 18' Angler was and is an excellent boat for many situations. The 24's were crap. Why? Because nobody thought to send a representative to the factory during constrution to ensure quality. The Carolina Skiff style boat would be a great option for skinny water areas. Now I know there are some out there that still believe a 25' Mako is the one and only boat but it's not.

If boats are becoming ragged out then who is to blame? The officers? The Lt's? Go as high as you must to find out who's not making sure what needs to done is done.

06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Seems, there is still dead wood around. Get over it - No more FMP or GFC! Almost 9 years now, move on.

21Regal
06-10-2008, 12:14 AM
I agree, I think the horse has beat, shot, buried, and dug up again. (GFC_FMP) Every area is going to conditions that warrant the type of equipment needed. Do I think 29' twin engine boats in protected waters are a waist with only one person running around in it, yep. 20' & 22' Pathfinders aren't too bad but they will beat you. I liked the 23' Angler Grande Bay's with the jack plates. The 24's were completed trash. The 26's are a pain to work out of. Equipment needs should be determined by the Officers that work the area and the Lt's. As to care and maintenance all involved have ownership involved, Officers, Lt's, Captians & Majors.

But of coarse you all should how I like to roll.

06-11-2008, 03:48 AM
The 18' Angler was and is an excellent boat for many situations.
You are kidding right? What palmetto bush did you just climb out from under. That boat was worthless. I hope you are never in a position to pick the type of equipment the field uses. :roll:

06-11-2008, 05:12 AM
The 25 Mako was a great all-around boat. It is by no means the best shallow water boat... nor the best deepwater boat... but it did both very well. It had decent range, low gunwhales for easy boardings of all size boats, turned in a heartbeat, planed on one motor (with OMCs), and was probably one of the most durable boats going (several 1990 models were still in service in 2006).

The 21 Makos were junk. They weighed too much and would NOT jump half the flats a 25 could. The Cuddy Cabin was a real turd!!!

The 23 Sea Crafts with twins were pretty decent. Low gunwhales for easy boardings. Not sure how shallow it would run.

The 24 Zodiacs with twins were real fun in heavy seas (not really... they beat the crap out of you)... They ran pretty shallow as well. Very easy boat to board out of with the inflatable sides.

The 24 Boston Whalers with twins were ok... Low gunwhales for easy boarding, but was like a piece of plywood with motors on it in heavy seas.

The 21 Answers were fast, but it sucked to hip-tow another boat, or back down in reverse.

The 18 Pathfinders were good for bays, rivers and protected areas.

The Aluminum john boats were very good for shallow and calm water.

The Anglers (all sizes) are just trash... Low bid junk!!

The Scarrabs, Midnite Express', etc were great for offshore work, but didn't run very shallow.

Never really ran any little boats... Though I heard stories about "hot foots" on the St Johns River...

06-11-2008, 01:02 PM
I was the one that stated that I liked the 18' Angler. It was and is a good boat although it is a single screw. Try one if you get the chance. It's true that most of the Anglers were low bid trash. The 24's and 26's were junk. Whomever spec'd those out should have been ran down the road. (Please don't jump up and tell me about GSA bidding, I understand it well.) The Makos were good boats. I ran one until 2003! I think it would be an interesting test to see the Commission buy a couple of new Mako 25's.

Pathfinders, Mavericks, and Hewes are over priced for what you get.

06-24-2008, 03:30 AM
just patrol in jonboats and be over it! It is coming to that at $6 gallon.