PDA

View Full Version : Neighborhood Traffic Management Plan

06-06-2008, 07:38 PM
means you got speeders in your neighborhood, you handle it. No speed bumps because that will divert traffic problems to other neighborhoods. The safety group says neighborhoods only have perceptions of speed problems, that's all. Get over it, or get training in I guess, how to really recognize a speeder. Great traffic management plan you got there folks.

So, if motorists avoid 8th avenue sw by driving down 18th or 19th or 20th, you won't get speed bumps or other traffic calming devices on those side streets with children playing or bicycling because others will want calming devices. Oh wait, 85th percentile says there's no speeding problem. Forgot, sorry. Same thing with Keene Park Drive or Gershwin or 19th Place sw or 20th ave sw or Adrian or any other of a dozen places. This translates into, "We know your neighborhood better than you do. You don't really have a problem. Help yourselves." Staffing shortages, real police work to do, etc. Joining with the citizens to reduce the fear of crime now means to give them some speed training and let the citizens handle it themselves.

06-07-2008, 03:23 AM
I'm not sure what the exact point of this post is, but it looks like you are a resident of the city and you have people speeding in your neighborhood. Further, you believe the police department should be more active in traffic enforcement in your neighborhood. I hope I got that right.

Bottom line is the citizens need to tell the city to spend money on staffing in the PD and less money on parks and rec, recycling, and other things. Most officers are running from call to call and barely have time to meet the Chief's quota, nevermind working a neighborhood problem that, while important to you, is relatively small when you look at the overall traffic problems in the city.

Trust me, I understand where you are coming from. Hey, I live in a neighborhood with speeders also. The reality is the PD doesn't have the resources to work every neighborhood speeding complaint. Citizens need to carefully evaluate how their tax dollars are spent. Public safety, to me, is far more important than entertaining the masses (such as concerts, water parks, etc.)

06-07-2008, 04:21 AM
He is talking about the city commission agenda where it shows the stats for neighborhoods and those speed monitoring (speed trap) signs. In the agenda they explain that they placed a speed monitoring device on different streets and monitored how many cars drove down the street, how many of those cars speed, and how many enforcable traffic citations would be possible given the amount of traffic.

The largest figure is on..i think it was portsmouth? Anyway it had like 5000 cars travelling through and only 16 of them were over 7mph. The commission then stated that most of the speeders see to be the residents themselves and they need to police themselves just as much as they need to blame enforcement..or lack thereof.

Facts are facts...if the speed sign is placed for a week and you have 100 cars a day travel down the road...and only 5 of them are going over the speed limit...the police can not do anything about that. Work with the commission (if they will) and get the speed limit lowered. How many of you LPD officers have sat on one of these "horrible speeding zones" and not gotten one speeder? Its not because they see you and do not speed. Its because 30mph looks very fast when your outside playing with your kids. We can only pull someone over if they go above the speed limit...typically 10mph or more.

I would love to help you out with the speeding problem but until those speed limits are lowered...all ours hands are tied.

06-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Its because 30mph looks very fast when your outside playing with your kids.

That is very true.

06-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Those stats are a bunch of bull. I don't care if only 1 in 5000 cars speed and that speeder lives in the neighborhood. It only takes one car to run over your kid,dog etc. If this were to happen to you (like me) you would want a remedy to.

Like the previous poster stated- When Moes employees are bound and robbed, and we are trying to can't the bad guys, we just don't have the manpower left to enforce any traffic.

We want to help as much as you want us to- go to a commission meeting and voice your concerns.

06-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Ask any LPD officer...absolutely any one of us if we need more officers...they will unanimously say YES. Ask the city commission and they will say that they agree "but"

I know the economy is bad...but that is a reason and need for more officers...not an excuse for less. Worse economy = worse crime.

Amendment 1 is just the beginning of a very very rocky slope downward. YOU the citizen need to start making a very large stink in the papers, city commission meetings, and any other political connection you have access to.

If we say we need more cops they just pat us on the head and say "of course you do" We have no alternative

if you the citizen say you want more police and they feed you a line of bull...hit em where it hurts..public image