PDA

View Full Version : There's some truth here....

05-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Took this off some other boards. There are some truths:

It's not Gordon. Never met the guy. But, from what I've seen he's just a union newbie who appears publically afraid of his own shadow.

It' the entire union leadership, if you want to call them that. There is strength in numbers. But, what have they done? They've split the union into chapters each fighting for its own piece of the pie. What little strength the union has is diluted. I'm just wondering if it's not diluted on purpose.

Every picture I see of a fat union officer with a prominent double chin shaking hands with politicians, makes me want to puke.

If the union really wanted to have an impact, what they would do is start a popular initiative to place on the ballot the right to strike. This would get it back into the constitution, and eliminate this right to work crap that the Republicans have sold. And even if it was unsuccessful, it would scare the crap out of the administration. Unfortunately, the union is filled with I'll scratch your back kind of guys who lack foresight, leadership and simply want to suck off the union due tit.

05-17-2008, 07:03 AM
GREAT IDEA. IF YOU WOULD REVEAL YOURSELF WE WILL PAY YOUR EXPENSES TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO "START A POPULAR INITIATIVE," WHATEVER THAT IS.

OTHERWISE WE TAKE ENOUGH HEAD SHOTS DEALING WITH THE FOLKS
IN TALLAHASSEE WHO DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS ABOUT STATE EMPLOYEES IN GENERAL AND STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT IN PARTICULAR.

REVEAL YOURSELF AND HELP OR SHUT UP!

05-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Dear Mr. Al Mones,

Who are you kidding? You know as well as I do that any single individual standing up a calling for a popular initiative to strike would be history. I’ll work for that initiative 24/7 as soon as the union grows a set of balls and quits supporting the current power structure.

I’ve been a union member for over 15 years and have never been called upon to protest any incumbent politician. The only thing I’ve ever been asked to do is to show up at a rally 15 days into a session, that and pay dues. The agenda you set is a mystery to most members. We find out about it after the fact.

Are you trying to tell me there are not an over-riding set of principle that apply to every single state law enforcement agency in this state? Are you telling me that if you rely on FDLE agents alone, that will be enough to support your initiatives? Hell there is more than one union in this state. Has the union ever approached any of them to support common state employee concerns- low pay, job security, etc?

You’re full of hot air and like your fellows, to use to collecting a union check.

05-19-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm disappointed with the treatment by the state, and I am losing financial ground, big-time here in SoFla, which only makes me more uptight, BUT, I won't call the union folks names. I've done that in an earlier life and I know it's no bed of roses. However, we got nothing when the state was in surplus and sure as hell aren't getting any raises in the forseeable future. We have nothing to lose, we need to change our tactics and get rid of this go-to-Tallahassee-with-hat-in-hand manner and beg. We should try some out of the box thinking. How about a union summit meeting with some of the heads to discuss some shared initiatives, like banding together to sponsor legislation to set up a dedicated fund for raises, or an amendment to allow one legislature to encumber a subsequent one to guarantee step raises. We have, what, a couple hundred thousand state employees? Add in family members and that's a big voting block. How about backing an incumbent's opposition in a primary or general election, if for no other reason to stand up for us? Most of us know that there's nothing more sobering to a bully than the threat of a good fight. Again, what are we afraid of; not getting a raise?!

Some other things to fight for; get out of our way in making money off-duty! The state kept giving ground to FHP there. In Broward I've seen Taurus and Ford Freestyle unmarked police cars doing details on the turnpike. How about the union getting us the ability to use our cars - other state LEO's use marked vehicles and obviously some police agencies are using unmarkeds!

I heard that the state rebuffed a union request with "If we give that to FDLE, then we'll have to give it to everyone." WHOAH! 1. We are our own, separate union. To accept that as a valid point flies in the face of the FHP raises, the fact that FDLE mandates a baccalaurate degree, etc. We are our own unit. Period. 2. Tough, if we justify and win a concession, good for us - just like FHP just did. It has no effect on my life that troopers got a well deserved, (but tiny), raise. More power to them. That's a specious argument used by the state to deflect, not address a valid point. Don't put up with that.

There are just a couple of ideas off the top of my head. If we got a group of dedicated, experienced union folks together to blue-sky some ideas and reinforce a more aggressive stance, just think of the ideas that would come out.

06-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Well said agent. I let the battle lust get to me. It's just I can't stand inaction and even poorer foresight.

The old infantry axiom holds true, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

The problem here is the union leadership doesn't want to or can't lead, they won't follow or even attempt to listen to any new idea and they refuse to get out of the way.

06-03-2008, 12:33 AM
The union needs to do something pro-active to let us know they're here! Maybe the PBA needs to have a statewide meeting and do aways with the special union branches for FHP and us and just have ONE large union, then they could re-write the contract maybe with a little less focus on management and more on the employees????

I would like to see if the Governor, the Legislators, or any agency paid out bonuses to certain groups or people (such as the Sgt. at Arms, Leg. assistants, or SACs) this year? If they did we need to start a media attack since they could not afford to pay the average state employee a raise, or even a bonus, come on PBA how about some public records request, and get the FDLEAA web sight up and running RIGHT!

06-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I agree, however the FDLE aa site is up and running, however, no one uses it.

I have started posting the same clips on both LEO affairs and the FDLE aa message boards. I know some of the guys check it because I have gotten responses. I suggest everyone post to both sites and try to get some more traffic over there where it is more private and protected than here.

The most important issue right now is the new committee looking at special comp. Did you know that your special comp is going to be frozen on July 1? Well it is and HQ and the PBA are aware of it. This is something that should be addressed on the FDLE AA website, but it is not. They say want ideas, but they don't ask for any.

Come on guys, we can do better!

06-03-2008, 11:49 PM
You can't start new forms on FDLEAA's site!

06-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm an idiot I meant forum no form...

06-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't think we need that ability. Look at this site, there are hundreds of forums, but many are the exact same or very similar. Also, most posts are going to have to do with pay, OT, etc. If not, it can be put under other agent issues. Other than that, I am sure you can request one to be added if needed.

06-04-2008, 09:01 PM
What is there to discuss? I mean Special Comp is not a right or even a bargaining issue. It is a management issue and an unfunded liability. If you have it - good for you. If the agency tells you to use it - there it goes. If they cap it - so what?

06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
So what? Let me guess, you have very little special comp and/or have not been at FDLE very long. So What? What about the hundreds of other agents that have come in gone in forty years that have been paid out for thier special comp when they retire? So what to a $50,000 check as you walk out the door? This may not be an issue for you, but there are a lot of people it is an issue to.

So what about changing the rules halfway through the game.

So what that FDLE is asking for ideas of how to best reduce the "liability" from hand picked individuals and no one from the PBA or FDLE has put ANYTHING out about it or asked for any input. All this is being done behind closed doors and hardly anyone knows anything about it.

You don't care about the issue - SO WHAT? Stop posting about it then...

06-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I am really hoping you are not an agent with that approach. You missed the entire point. The point simply stated, is you have no "right" to special comp. It can certainly be arranged where you won't get any more of it.
Granted, you are owed for what you have but that is it. I have been very lucky to accumulate a "boat" load of it, but I'm also smart enough to know what others were allowed to do doesn't mean that is what I will be allowed to do.
Changing the rules halfway through the game? That is funny. Welcome to Florida. I have seen many "rule changes" in my 22 years. Guess what? Agents have rarely been the benefactors of change. This is a great job, but the agency owes you nothing.

06-21-2008, 12:59 AM
GREAT IDEA. IF YOU WOULD REVEAL YOURSELF WE WILL PAY YOUR EXPENSES TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO "START A POPULAR INITIATIVE," WHATEVER THAT IS.

OTHERWISE WE TAKE ENOUGH HEAD SHOTS DEALING WITH THE FOLKS
IN TALLAHASSEE WHO DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS ABOUT STATE EMPLOYEES IN GENERAL AND STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT IN PARTICULAR.

REVEAL YOURSELF AND HELP OR SHUT UP!

My name is Jose Jemanis

07-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Jose has it right....

And special comp is just a symptom.

Same ole same ole. The leadership says, "Shut-up. You're lucky you have a job."

While the PBA plays on everyone's fears to keep their living going.

When will the PBA and all of its members ever learn that there is strength in numbers.