PDA

View Full Version : PBA

05-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Where is the PBA? I have not heard a peep since the session ended. What have they done for FDLE Agents in the past 2 years? Is the 40 or 80 hour pay cycle going to get done? I mean I don't mind paying dues for a little something in return, but this is absurd.

05-17-2008, 07:21 AM
I SHARE YOUR CONCERNS. THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THAT THE PBA DID THEIR USUAL LOBBYING EFFORTS AND THE PEOPLE WE USUALLY COUNT ON IN THE LEGISLATURE LET US DOWN, AGAIN.

IT HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY REPORTED IN THIS FORUM THAT ONE AGENCY MADE A RUN TO CREATE A TRUST FUND (ON THEIR OWN THE PBA SAYS) AND VIOLATED AN AGREEMENT MADE BETWEEN THE PRESIDENTS. THE STATE PRESIDENTS ARE WORKING TO ADDRESS THIS.

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THAT THE LEGISLATURE DID NOT CONSIDER STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT A PRIORITY AGAIN. THEY DID NOT EVEN ADDRESS A BILL TO ESTABLISH A TRUST FUND MECHANISM TO BEGIN TO COLLECT FUNDS FOR FUTURE RAISES.

PBA PRESIDENT JOHN RIVERA HAS SAID THAT IF THEY FORGET US WE WILL FORGET THEM. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT POLITICAL FUNDS ARE BEING CUT TO MEMBERS OF THE LEGISLATURE THAT DID NOT SUPPORT US.

WE COULD USE SOME HELP IN UPCOMMING CANDIDATE SCREENINGS IN ALL AREAS OF THE STATE TO ASK POTENTIAL CANDICATES QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO THE FUNDING A LAW ENFORCEMENT STEP PLAN TRUST FUND.

DO NOT EXPECT THE VOLUNTEER UNION REPRESENTATIVES AND BOARD MEMBERS TO DO THIS ALL BY THEMSELVES.

THE WORK WEEK ISSUES ARE BEING DISCUSSED WITH TUCKER AND BAILEY TO FIND ALTERNATIVES THAT WILL WORK.

REMEMBER, YOUR UNION REPRESENTATIVES HAVE REGULAR JOBS, CASELOADS, AND A LIFE OF SOME SORT. IF YOU WANT A FULL TIME UNION STAFF TRY ANOTHER DEPARTMENT LIKE TAMPA PD, THEY HAVE THE LUXURY OF FULL TIME UNION REPRESENTATIVES.

05-17-2008, 01:32 PM
I appreciate what the reps do that is not the problem. I think communicating more to the members would be nice and planning some things or meeting that the members could do to help the cause. I am all for voting out every incumbant in office and find people who will support LEO's. I know 4-5 Agents could only do so much, but the PBA itself needs to step up with a plan soon.

05-17-2008, 04:02 PM
There's no communication via the FDLEAA web site, because it doesn't work! You can't add new topic without an error field coming up. I would rather make these discusses on that site, free of other agencies and none LEOs!!!!

Is anyone working on the site???? Not to mention LEOAFFAIRS wants too much information to have access to their secure site, and I have no idea who "THEY" are!!!!

05-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Just a few questions:

Since it was the “legislature” in general that failed to support the PBA, and those that you usually rely on failed to materialize, just who are you going to go after? And if you target a politician and only get FDLE Agents to support, that’s not a whole lot of political power now is it? The idea that the PBA can get a one page blip in a local paper, doesn't equate to much.

When was the last time there was a general meeting for all PBA members in this state? Shoot, like the above poster said, you can't even get the union to put out a Roll Call.

Ain’t it up to the union to get its member to rally on behalf of all members? And if you can’t do that, just what the hell good are you? The fact that you lobby the legislature a couple of month out of the year doesn’t appear to be working.

05-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Where is the current FDLEPBA Association Officers. I didn't always agree with Caplano when he was President forever but he made a call and stuck with it and always kept people informed. I never hear nothing from Agent Sands

05-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Not a rumor - FDLE has put together a "committee" to come up with a plan to limit / eliminate SPECIAL COMP. Get ready to bend over.

Just ask your favorite PBA officer.

05-26-2008, 04:49 PM
DOT has had a cap for their special comp for years - I think you can only carry 240 hours over there..

05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Fine. They can either pay me for my special comp or I'll just go on leave until the new year.

05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
If I recall correctly, there was talk of limiting the amount of special and holiday comp hours carried back in the early 90's ( limit to 240 I think?), but nothing ever came of it. If this were to happen, wonder if they would let us keep what we have on the books, or draw it down?

05-29-2008, 07:01 PM
There is a meeting / conference call today at 2pm regarding the reduction/elimination of special comp. Hopefully someone will give an update on what happend on the call.

05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Special Comp is an unfunded liability and as such, you can be directed to use it. There is talk throughout state agencies to reduce "unfunded liabilities." Tighten your seat belts..turbulence ahead.