PDA

View Full Version : Interested in PCPD

05-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Im interested in applying for the PCPD. Im currently in the US Air Force finishing out my four contract with about a year and a half left. Im stationed in Minot AFB, ND as Security Forces (Cop). I am from Plant City and my familty currently lives there so I have had my interactions with current PCPD Officers. I am also working on my degree in criminal justice. How does everyone enjoy working in PC? How long does the application/hiring process take so I can know the best time to start applying. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

05-12-2008, 05:26 PM
When actively hiring, it could take as little as a month. It could also take as long as 6 months. I personally enjoy working in the city, but our department leaves much to be desired. We have a lot of technology, and good euipment, but we are definitely feeling the economy forced budget crunch. A great lack of officers with squads working with as little as 4 officers at times, low pay, ect. Don't take this as a knock on the department, it's not. It's a simple fact that the budget crunch is going to affect a department like ours more than a city like Tampa, ect.

05-13-2008, 01:27 AM
thanks for the one and only reply so far. so theres how many people working for PCPD that look at this forum and only person has an opinion?

05-13-2008, 03:15 AM
I was with PCPD for many years. The previous poster gave it to you straight. I enjoyed working for PCPD, the officers are good people. The technology is on a par with most agencies in Florida. The downside is pay. After medical, retirement, etc is taken out, there isn't much left.

05-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I also am a former officer at PCPD.....I should have never left for a lager agency. The smaller Dept. is a great place to start and finish your career. You have the same problems as a larger Dept only on a smaller scale....only the names and faces change.Wherever you decide to police work hard, stay safe, be fair and do the job the right way and stay away from the disgruntled police officers ( cancer ) of the dept. and you'll be fine. Good Luck!

05-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks guys! Im getting used to the low pay and the "cancer" from being in the military. Police officers don't make enough money for what you do but its the same in the military.

05-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Dear Amerpwr:

I hope you decide to apply for PCPD and come join our team. Having family in the area would probably be an advantage for you. Geographical orientation is sometimes a problem for new guys. Over the last few years, we have had a good influx of new officers who bring a breath of fresh air. They have a good positive attitude and challenge the veterans to stay on their game and work. Even though our take home pay leaves a little to be desired, our Chief is working on improving that. We do however have one of if not the best retirement plans....75 % after 20 years. Our city is in the infancy of a large growth spurt as well so hopefully it will bring more officers and more money as well. Like a previous poster said there are pros and cons to being a big agency. True there are more opportunities, but there are more people putting in for them as well. The thing I enjoy most is being accessible to the brass, we see the Chief everyday. Also if you are on duty and in trouble, back up is never too far away. Hope this helps you out, where ever you decide make the most of it.. Police work gives back what you put in

05-21-2008, 02:43 PM
The person above put it right also. Yes, on paper our retirement is one of the best in the area. You just have to remember its 75% of a much smaller number. Our pay issue needs to be addressed, and they say it has been being addressed for years. We're told we get an average of a 5% raise every year which is better than most. This is also true, except for the fact we are 15% behind already so we're barely keeping up. I would hope our department wants to be better than the next guy. That is how you retain officers. The geographical comment is true, but to be expected. If you bring someone to a city they have never lived in, they will have some trouble. It will take you some time to learn all the streets, especially since our mapper program does not work 75% of the time. This is a great department, and with some changes/improvements could be a great department. We just need to get on par or better than other agencies. The chief says he's going to do that. I hope to see it.

05-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Correction: It's a good department, and with changes/improvements could be a great dept.