PDA

View Full Version : Drinking and Boating

05-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Why is it still legal to drink and operate a vessel? Why is it legal for open containers in a vessel? Seems, Florida condones drinking and driving while in a vessel. I guess too many people have not died yet. Am surprised MADD has not gotten involved. Just wondering... :shock:

05-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Those are all good questions, but they are also ones for legislators. Beleive me if madd could do something about it they would.

05-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Why is it still legal to drink and operate a vessel? Why is it legal for open containers in a vessel? Seems, Florida condones drinking and driving while in a vessel. I guess too many people have not died yet. Am surprised MADD has not gotten involved. Just wondering... :shock:

I thought you couldn't drink while you were operating the vessel. Thought only the passenger could have the open container while the vessel was operating.

Not sure, can someone clarify.

05-08-2008, 09:40 PM
the firts post tells it like it is. go figure........

05-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Why is it still legal?? Because the legislature has not passed any laws to prohibit it. If you want it changed you are going to have to lobby your legislator.

Of note; Florida's Boating Under the Influence (BUI) laws mirror the DUI laws with the exception that a BUI does not affect your driver's license. Since there is no boat license to suspend, a $500 civil fine is imposed for those who refuse to submit to a BAC test. Everything else is the same.

05-09-2008, 01:47 AM
There are over 1.1 million boats registered in the state of Florida The recreational boat lobby is as strong as any out there.

The theory is: You can have fun boating without drinking, but why risk it?

05-14-2008, 03:16 AM
GO WORK THE PAN HANDEL AND YOU WILL KNOW WHY DRINKING AND DRIVING A VESSEL IS STILL LEGAL,TWO MANY LAW MAKERS ENJOY IT TO MUCH