PDA

View Full Version : Computers

Pathfinder
05-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Does anyone happen to know when these fancy computers are supposed to come down the pipe and into the field.

05-06-2008, 09:38 PM
everyone should have one by end of the year

05-07-2008, 12:18 AM
We must be getting hand me downs from fhp? As I hear they are updating their laptops, again.

05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
At least we will know the dvd player works! :D

05-08-2008, 04:07 AM
The word is there going to be Panasonic rugged note books. Nice!

05-08-2008, 06:16 PM
I just hope they can connect when we need them and are water resistant! :P

05-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Been a long time coming, every LEO needs one! Has many positives.

07-03-2008, 09:40 PM
It is the first of the fiscal year, anybody know about the computers yet?

07-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Anyone even know what type of laptop? Hope they fix the VPN to have a better connection.

07-04-2008, 07:32 AM
I have heard they are going to be dell's, not the best but they gave us a 3 year no questions asked repair or replacement on them. And they were cheaper then the real good ones.

07-18-2008, 11:38 PM
That's the latest news on the laptops: Dell

07-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Dude, your getting a Dell!

Sorry, couldn't resist!!

07-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Dell semi rugged types for the Officers. I've spoke with many that have them and they hold up well on a vessel. Panasonics are nice but are just too expensive--$5000 each. Ticket & FCIC/NCIC software is sweet too.

07-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Dell semi rugged types for the Officers. I've spoke with many that have them and they hold up well on a vessel. Panasonics are nice but are just too expensive--$5000 each. Ticket & FCIC/NCIC software is sweet too.

Drive the boat, run the info, write the paper, attempt to do this all safely. Yet another reason not to fix dispatch. Computers are good and have their place. A boat is a good place for a functioning radio and a staffed dispatch.

07-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Good luck on good dispatchers, that is a oxy moron.

07-20-2008, 12:46 AM

Drive the boat, run the info, write the paper, attempt to do this all safely. Yet another reason not to fix dispatch. Computers are good and have their place. A boat is a good place for a functioning radio and a staffed dispatch.

Swipe the DL, F3 key, paste the info key, click on the charge, print the ticket faster than you can write it. It takes a while to get used to it. For some folks that are not fast enough on a PC then a laptop is not a good option. To each his own.

07-22-2008, 11:19 PM
I heard that the laptops were being installed and training conducted this week in the south region.

08-05-2008, 11:55 PM
I heard that the laptops were being installed and training conducted this week in the south region.

Anybody know anything for sure???

08-06-2008, 01:13 AM
I have heard, and i stressed heard. that the north central was going to have them installed by december

08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
The whole NE region has them according to Major Norton. Whomever made that decision did't think it through. It would be like testing out swamp buggys in Monroe. The old timers, set in their ways, enjoying "God's Country" live up their. The south end is all the young guys with exposure to computers already, that have used computers for a few years now. If nothing else, the 20 minutes IT spends on teaching you how to turn the thing on would be saved. Another jam up move.

08-20-2008, 05:05 AM
Keep the dern things, too many restrictions as it is! Must be brought in every night from its locked docking station in your patrol vehicle, but its okay to leave your long guns in there.....Go figure!! Backwards way of thinking, but it all okay ===spit, chew and giddee up, yee haw!! Just don't drip that chew on the key board...

fldeputy
09-03-2008, 03:08 AM
I have to admit, of all the forums I've read on this site, you guess definately have the funniest posts. I couldn't stop laughing at most of this stuff. Do you really get to wear goatees and wrangler jeans? Thats some funny stuff.

09-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Why sure son, this is the redneck agency of the state. Just ask all them miami vice wannabee youngens working for us in the south. They will tell ya. We like it here in the north "GODS COUNTRY" with our free house in the woods. Stay tuned for more funny stuff in this forum.

10-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Well, several months have passed and still no communication has been passed down from leadership positions about laptop computers coming to the field! Does Tallahassee think we read minds? Start communicating just like the JM Communication training you are throwing down our throats...even though it is Tallahassee that has the problem with communicating and not the field!!!

That's right, everybody above a captain is a "yes man" to the colonel! And, you wonder why sharp minds are shut down---maybe so they can protect their careers!

10-05-2008, 09:27 PM
The NE region just got them this week the SA region recived them about 2 months ago NC next in about 1 1/2 months then the SW by late DEC early 09.

10-06-2008, 12:32 AM
The NE region just got them this week the SA region recived them about 2 months ago NC next in about 1 1/2 months then the SW by late DEC early 09.

That's one more electronic item I gotta keep up with. I been here for 27 years and never needed a computer in my truck and don't need it now. We gotta dispatcher and an office to do paperwork. Glad my time is just about over. Can't take to many more changes. All I need now is a GPS tracking device on my truck so I don't have to call in for 10-8. They will know when I crank my truck and where I'm at.

10-06-2008, 01:51 AM

That's one more electronic item I gotta keep up with. I been here for 27 years and never needed a computer in my truck and don't need it now. We gotta dispatcher and an office to do paperwork. Glad my time is just about over. Can't take to many more changes. All I need now is a GPS tracking device on my truck so I don't have to call in for 10-8. They will know when I crank my truck and where I'm at.
The gps tracker is built into to software program.

10-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Glad to see your time is almost over. You are the type of officer that is holding the FWC back from coming into the 21st century. Get with the times, OR just leave.

10-08-2008, 12:08 AM
I bet "Leaving soon" is old GFC..............

10-19-2008, 06:12 PM
I for one love the idea of officers having laptops, I understand there are those that won't want to use them. But as long as the majority do it will be fine. Think of it like this, it frees up our sup-par radio systems for whatever you need from dispatch. Plus give us another method of communication, without having to use cell phones.

No more housekeeping transmissions, I'm x8, I'm 112 the office, 105 x42. Also with GPS component, sometimes I have no idea where some of my officers are. I"m on such and such ranch somewhere or I think I'm near this nav marker. I try my best to learn the geography of the 12 counties we cover but not everyone is a diligent as I am.

Sometimes because we have 2 radio channels and phones we don't have time to do important works of making phone calls and following up on incidents. I believe computers would keep the officers from having to make unnecessary phone calls on their personal cell phones by freeing us up.

At least that's how I see it.