PDA

View Full Version : Marine Patrol

05-05-2008, 07:51 PM
How many officers are actually out patrolling in the intercostal, and off the shore? Or are you guys stuck in the everglades all the time?

05-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I spend 95% of my time on the boats in the intracoastal and offshore waters. Not all of us fall asleep under a tree for 25 years, wake up, and then retire.

05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
is working off shore a hard gig to get? Do most new officers get placed out in the everglades?

05-06-2008, 10:49 PM
all depends on your position number and description, whether or not you fall asleep near the palmettos or in the mangroves

05-07-2008, 12:02 AM
I spend 95% of my time on the boats in the intracoastal and offshore waters. Not all of us fall asleep under a tree for 25 years, wake up, and then retire.

In my experience those that are afraid, make fun. Also how do you get out of all the training and meetings, that takes up atleast 30% of my time.

05-07-2008, 12:08 AM
@ least that

05-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Every one knew who the "Florida Marine Patrol" was! No identity problem there. :D

05-10-2008, 08:39 PM
DAMN STRAIGHT!

FMP ruled the intercoastal man, we were the s*%t.

I like the car color scheme as well, it looked very State Uniformed with FHP and the older DOT cars when they were Blue and Baby Blue.

During Andrew, in south florida, we all looked good.

FMP got a lot of respect. The fight always existed though between GFC and FMP.

Too bad it's gone to what it is???????!@#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()???

I think that FMP was the proudest and sharpest agency in the State of Florida.

I may be biased, cause I am FMP Alumni, but I miss the old FMP.

Good luck with what you have now (FWC?)

05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Yes, the FMP color scheme was nice!

05-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I was an FMP and thought the anchor emblem kicked a$$ we we're the FHP on the water.......now Im FHP and miss every minute of the FMP............we were the original GROUPER TROOPERS!!!!!!

05-11-2008, 10:21 PM
The anchor emblem did kick @@@!! :D

05-11-2008, 10:24 PM
You are now stuck with a grey deer, fish and bird!!! Too cheap to even color the patch. But hey, even GFC had a colored deer.

05-12-2008, 02:14 AM
You are now stuck with a grey deer, fish and bird!!! Too cheap to even color the patch. But hey, even GFC had a colored deer.

Yes, FMP were the Grouper Troopers of the state

05-12-2008, 08:11 PM
darn STRAIGHT!

FMP ruled the intercoastal man, we were the s*%t.

I like the car color scheme as well, it looked very State Uniformed with FHP and the older DOT cars when they were Blue and Baby Blue.

During Andrew, in south florida, we all looked good.

FMP got a lot of respect. The fight always existed though between GFC and FMP.

Too bad it's gone to what it is???????!@#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()???

And the public knew who was driving a black and gray or a black and tan patrol car - no need for "State Law Enforcement Officer" written on the back. Troopers and Grouper Troopers - what great memories.

I think that FMP was the proudest and sharpest agency in the State of Florida.

I may be biased, cause I am FMP Alumni, but I miss the old FMP.

Good luck with what you have now (FWC?)

05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
GFC had no trouble being recognized until it merged with FMP. So maybe FMP is the problem. Seems to me that is when the problems started. Most of the FMP officers are not worth anything they work harder to get out of an incident then they would if they just took it and they wouldnt know a gator if it bit em in the butt, so before you talk trash about FWC maybe you should check yourself.

Pathfinder
05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Good call!!!!!

05-14-2008, 02:30 AM
i am a FMP alumni and i disagree with officers trying to get out of calls try visiting north florida, we are still training the old gfc

05-14-2008, 03:01 AM
That statement should have read....

FMP had no trouble being recognized until it taken over by gfc. So maybe gfc is the problem. Seems to me that is when the problems started. Most of the gfc officers are not worth anything they work harder to get out of an incident then they would if they just took it and they wouldnt know a boat if they fell into one, so before you talk trash about FWC maybe you should check yourself.

05-16-2008, 11:35 PM
GFC had no trouble being recognized until it merged with FMP. So maybe FMP is the problem. Seems to me that is when the problems started. Most of the FMP officers are not worth anything they work harder to get out of an incident then they would if they just took it and they wouldnt know a gator if it bit em in the butt, so before you talk trash about FWC maybe you should check yourself.

I might not know a gator if he bit me in the butt, but I know what he'd be shortly thereafter...dead!

There were good and bad points with the merger. Namely the GFC was a constitutionally mandated organization, Commission, and the FMP was just a LE arm of a Department. So in that regards, you had a little more legislative juice.

Unfortunately you also has the back woods thinking of survivalist mentalities of your upper echelon who thought that having a state sanctioned organization of good ol' boys who got paid to hunt and fish would be the next best thing since...well the next best thing.

Unfortunately as law enforcement evolved the mentalities of these dinosaurs didn't, and you got stuck doing things because "that's the way it's always been done", as opposed to the best way to get something done. It's the same old story everywhere.

There is hope for the agency if someone would say what actually needs to be said instead of what someone wants to hear. Someone politically connected needs to step forward and be an agent for change in this sea of mediocrity we call Conservation Law Enforcement. There are a lot of extremely bright, well abled and capable leaders out there among you. They need to have courage in their convictions and support of their peers and subordinates. It can happen only if you make it happen.

05-17-2008, 03:13 AM
Our identity problems with the public stems from our own inability to realize who we are. We are not GFC or FMP, we are FWC! We need to get over this division of responsibility and attitudes and make it a point to do our mission. I joined this agencey to Patrol, Protect, Preserve. When I signed on I didn't do it just to accomplish the mission on the saltwater, or in the woods. I did it for the state. If you have such bad attitudes about this agency or it's roots, move on.

05-17-2008, 03:23 AM
Our identity problems with the public stems from our own inability to realize who we are. We are not GFC or FMP, we are FWC! We need to get over this division of responsibility and attitudes and make it a point to do our mission. I joined this agencey to Patrol, Protect, Preserve. When I signed on I didn't do it just to accomplish the mission on the saltwater, or in the woods. I did it for the state. If you have such bad attitudes about this agency or it's roots, move on.

Listen there Suckup. Here's a reality check. After a short time you too will understand that even the greatest job in the world is not worth doing for starting pay. This shut up or move on attitude is the reason we are in this mess in the first place. Voicing opinions on an open forum is an avenue to get the messege out to those that would listen. Grow up, get married, get a mortgage, maybe have kids. Then run your trap!

05-17-2008, 03:28 AM
FNG wrote;

"Our identity problems with the public stems from our own inability to realize who we are. We are not GFC or FMP, we are FWC! We need to get over this division of responsibility and attitudes and make it a point to do our mission. I joined this agencey to Patrol, Protect, Preserve. When I signed on I didn't do it just to accomplish the mission on the saltwater, or in the woods. I did it for the state. If you have such bad attitudes about this agency or it's roots, move on."

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

But seriously... I almost spit my drink on my computer screen while reading that.

Don't worry though... most of the "old skool" officers, aka those with CORE KNOWLEDGE of the job, are gone, in the process of leaving or just don't give a sh*t about cleaning your diapers...

06-10-2008, 12:13 AM
i am a FMP alumni and i disagree with officers trying to get out of calls try visiting north florida, we are still training the old gfc

Still training GFC, huh? You make me laugh. You FMP "alumni" couldnt read woods sign if you had to. You have NO clue what I mean by woods sign do you? I suspect not.
We worked fresh AND saltwater before the merger mister. We, former GFC officers,dont try to get out of anything. We work our areas both fresh and salt water. Take your ass to the woods and try NOT to piss the hunters off!

06-10-2008, 02:01 AM
I can read sign in the woods... I hunted when I was kid... I was hired as a Marine Patrol Officer, not a Game Warden. Nothing wrong with being a game warden, just not for me.

06-10-2008, 04:23 AM
You have NO clue what I mean by woods sign do you? I suspect not

I know what wood signs are. I gittem evry morning when I wake up...So there smarrty pantz :D

06-11-2008, 02:06 AM
LMAO... that was funny!!!

06-11-2008, 02:52 AM

Still training GFC, huh? You make me laugh. You FMP "alumni" couldnt read woods sign if you had to. You have NO clue what I mean by woods sign do you? I suspect not.
We worked fresh AND saltwater before the merger mister. We, former GFC officers,dont try to get out of anything. We work our areas both fresh and salt water. Take your ass to the woods and try NOT to piss the hunters off!

Why would anyone care about what is surely a dying segment of our stakeholders. Hunting is on it's way out.

06-11-2008, 03:24 AM
[/quote]Hunting is on it's way out.

Those in charge do not want to beleve this. Even when FWC publishes the economic impact stats that show hunting funds down :shock: while SALTwater fishieies way above the others. :wink:

06-14-2008, 04:08 AM
You have NO clue what I mean by woods sign do you? I suspect not

I know what wood signs are. I gittem evry morning when I wake up...So there smarrty pantz :D

Just like I thought woody pecker, you wouldnt know a conibear from a kevloc. Don't pee on yourself when you hike your leg.

06-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Hunting is on it's way out.

Those in charge do not want to beleve this. Even when FWC publishes the economic impact stats that show hunting funds down :shock: while SALTwater fishieies way above the others. :wink: [/quote]

spoken like a true blue grouper trooper. it never surprises me to hear what you water guppies believe about hunting in this state. hunting will be enjoyed in this state after you retire and then some.

06-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Hunting is on it's way out.

Those in charge do not want to beleve this. Even when FWC publishes the economic impact stats that show hunting funds down :shock: while SALTwater fishieies way above the others. :wink:

spoken like a true blue grouper trooper. it never surprises me to hear what you water guppies believe about hunting in this state. hunting will be enjoyed in this state after you retire and then some.[/quote]

True. But by fewer and fewer. The stats don't lie. Hey, pssssss. The world is round. Don't let anyone tell you different.

06-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Grouper Troopers wore gray, not blue! LOL

But seriously, Saltwater fishing brings MORE $$$ to this state than hunting. Hunting areas are shrinking and FWC admits the number of hunters are in decline. FWC has even looked at "recruiting" new hunters due to the declining numbers!

The future is on the water (salt or fresh water fishing) and boating. How many years does Florida have to lead the nation in the number of boaters killed before they get serious about boating safety enforcement??

06-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Don't worry too much guys. These dimestore cowboys are thankfully a dying breed along with what they proclaim is their culture. Most of the old timers I've met don't do this job to protect the enviroment as much as they continue to do it for free places to hunt. Ya ever heard of the Fur and Feather Club? It's still very much alive. Membership works like this. Hire on, spend your patrol hours on one or more private ranches protecting their deer and turkeys, be at the landowners beck and call, and when season comes along they let you bag a urkey or deer.

Ethics? Conflict of interest?

06-24-2008, 03:37 AM
Black & Gray had respect on the water and road! period. GFC did in the woods, but that was it. Gotta say, the anchor and rope is on a rung higher than the fish and deer-even still today. If it wasn't for that little thing called the FS constitution creating the GFC, who knows.