PDA

View Full Version : Collective Bargaining

05-02-2008, 05:14 PM
The PBA is currently circulating blue cards amongst the deputies at SCSO. Please take the time to fill it out and send it in. Now is the best time to organize because the elections are coming and Eslinger doesn't want bad press.
I've heard we're getting another newsletter in the mail so be watching for it.... :idea:

05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Have we shopped unions? Why PBA? I been hearing nothing but bad things about the PBA.

05-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Just wanted you to know after years with the PBA, declining service, lousy attorneys a dictator as the President and Executive Director, the Port St Lucie PD dumped the PBA and went with IUPA.

The total votes were 126 for IUPA and only 11 for PBA.

With IUPA, you will have your own local executive board officers from you own department. You will have a labor attorney at the bargaining table, not a staff rep like with the PBA. You will control your own destiny and not have to listen to a President or e-board from another city as with the PBA.

Melbourne PD also dumped the PBA. Why would two of their big bargaining units dump them. Just read above.

05-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Let me also state what an improvement IUPA has been over PBA. Having local control of the direction of the union, having an attorney at the negotiating table (HUGE difference) versus the PBA "rep", AFL-CIO affiliation...all reasons to consider IUPA very carefully.

Ask any PSL cop...I think you'd find that 90% are enthusiastically supporting the new IUPA board rather than the old PBA that was controlled by a board hundreds of miles away staffed by people not familiar with the issues that OUR officers were dealing with.

05-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Picking the right labor union to meet your needs is one the most important decision you will make. I urge you to contact Jeff Edmiston from IUPA at 941-313-0030 and find out the facts regaurding what IUPA has to offer. Be Safe

05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Union at SCSO?

Not gonna happen..but good luck trying...

05-29-2008, 12:09 AM
To the deputies at SCSO,

I am a member of SCSO. I don't know anything about being part of a "union", I don't know the benefits, but I have heard about negotiations with others that are part of the "union". They can be difficult and frustrating.

The Sheriff has a good track record of taking care of his employees in benefits (PTO, if you can get it because of staffing issues), healthcare (if you can afford the prescriptions that are not covered or a health issue which requires time off) equiptment (better make sure inventory is conducted every 3 months) and salary increases (although he has to be pressed).

As far as EQUALITY....he falls very short. There is no equality when it comes to assignments, discipline or promotions. Rumor has it, the promotional process has been changed again when it comes to selection. The organization is it's own "Day's of our Lives".

Sheriff, we do a job, a very dangerous job, where only the supervisors who actually care, recognize the people that work for them by writing a letter to you. You rarely hear about how we get abused and diffuse everyday.

It does not hurt to think, research, explore what a union could change for the file (notice I did not say "Rank")

Maybe it would be in our best interest to market ourselves to a PBA, a IUPA or FOP.