PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from fellow LEO....

04-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Would anyone out there leave the department for the Miami Dade Police Department or BSO? And if so, then why?

04-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Would anyone out there leave the department for the Miami Dade Police Department or BSO? And if so, then why?

More chance for advancement, more choices of fields to go into, work in different districts, and the list goes on & on

04-29-2008, 11:39 PM

Miami-Dade = 5 days per week, 8 hours per day. Almost all of the nice area's have incorporated and become their own city leaving the most undesireable area's left to be covered my MDPD. This is not a bad thing for a pro-active officer.

Get yourself a piece of paper. Make two colums. + & -
Find out as much information as you can about the agency. If the +'s out weigh the -'s then it's time to apply elsewhere.

04-30-2008, 07:58 PM

I think there would be some newer Officers (those who have not had the opportunity to realize what this job is REALLY all about) that might aspire to move to a bigger agency. I considered it when I was new here, but quickly realized how great it is here compared to some other places....

Yes, bigger agencies have lots of places that you can go. BSO has everything from harbor patrol to bomb squad to fugitive teams to homeland security, etc. etc. etc. However, just like everywhere else, many times it's not so much what you know, but who you know. Along with tons of openings in those units come tons of applicants for those units. Whereas, here you may have 5 people put in for one traffic opening, at BSO you will likely have 50 put in for 2 openings, let's say.

But, the biggest thing for me was the fact that at many larger agencies you are nothing but a number. They are a lot more likely to fire someone for something small than we are. Let's face it, there are MANY officers here that have gotten simple reprimands for things that CERTAINLY would have gotten them fired by BSO or MDPD....

No, we don't have as much crime as certain areas in the county. We're not chasing crack dealers on foot each night or taking guns out of every car we stop. That stuff is fun for a few weeks, but it gets old VERY quickly when you do it every night/day. You will very rarely find a 10+ year guy here who will tell you, "Man, I wish I had left here after 2 years and applied with BSO...." or "Man, I wish we had more action here."

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what is best for you, though. If you feel that BSO or MDPD or another agency may provide you with a better work environment, then apply... If you're not happy here (or even if you are, but feel you'll be happier elsewhere), I say do what you think is right....

05-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Yeah - if you don't think for one minute that Davie thinks of you as more than a "number" , boy are you wrong. Just look at our recent heart attack firings, geez.......... You are a number EVERYWHERE you go... If you can't do the job, they will find someone that can... Go wherever you are happy...

05-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Yeah - if you don't think for one minute that Davie thinks of you as more than a "number" , boy are you wrong. Just look at our recent heart attack firings, geez.......... You are a number EVERYWHERE you go... If you can't do the job, they will find someone that can... Go wherever you are happy...

Listen, don't get me wrong, I don't think that the Town Council or Town Administrator think of you like family, but INHERENTLY with a smaller agency, you are less of a "number" and more of a person. Apparently you didn't understand the entire gist of my response, because our message is the same: go where you are happy. Plain and simple.

I wrote about the reasons -I- stayed when I was considering going elsewhere. If you don't agree with those reasons, then, well, we don't agree. If you're a disgruntaled employee who would be happy elsewhere, then take your own advice and seek employment elsewhere, too......

05-02-2008, 12:19 AM

Well, not to side with Big Brother, but you mention, "if you can't do the job, they will find someone that can".....what is really wrong with that? If you can't do the job, should they just keep you? Why should any department or any company for that matter, keep someone that can't do the job? Unless they can find a position for you in a different capacity, no, they shouldn't keep someone that can't do their job.