PDA

View Full Version : FLPD

04-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Hey,

A few questions about FLPD for LEOs that WORK FOR THEM...

What hours/shifts do they work? How many days a week, hours per shift?

How long does the average hiring process take with FLPD?

What is there take home care policy?

In your opinion what is the best and worst aspect of working for FLPD?

Thanks guys... trying to decide what agencies to apply for.

04-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Also... How do I schedule a ride along? Do they do night rides?

04-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Whatever you do don't come here, it sucks,,go to Coral Springs,,thats where im going

04-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Stay away from coral springs,try pembroke pines or boca raton

04-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Stay away from coral springs,try pembroke pines or boca raton

Stay away from Boca. If you like bigger agencies and you are already certified, look at PBSO, West Palm, Pembroke Pines, or even BSO if want mobility. Martin County SO pays very well and it is cheaper to living up there. There you can be an old school cop. Good luck.

04-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Why not Boca I have see a lot of nice positives on their website

04-29-2008, 01:37 AM
First, to answer your questions. There are 3 shifts and 3 districts. Patrol officers work 4 10-hour shifts with 3 days off. There is a tri-county take home program for cars, although if you live in the nether-regions of Miami or Palm Beach, there is a modest surcharge. The best thing about working for FLPD? There's tons of overtime if you're looking to make good money. Unfortunately, that's about it for the positives. Among the negatives are a crappy contract, no pension cola (only agency in the county), 2nd worst paid agency in the county, department is run by the assistant city manager who has no police experience, and the admin from captains to chief are a bunch of self-serving kiss asses who will sell you out to better their careers.

Do yourself a favor and only apply here as an absolute last resort.

04-29-2008, 02:57 AM
First, to answer your questions. There are 3 shifts and 3 districts. Patrol officers work 4 10-hour shifts with 3 days off. There is a tri-county take home program for cars, although if you live in the nether-regions of Miami or Palm Beach, there is a modest surcharge. The best thing about working for FLPD? There's tons of overtime if you're looking to make good money. Unfortunately, that's about it for the positives. Among the negatives are a crappy contract, no pension cola (only agency in the county), 2nd worst paid agency in the county, department is run by the assistant city manager who has no police experience, and the admin from captains to chief are a bunch of self-serving kiss asses who will sell you out to better their careers.

Do yourself a favor and only apply here as an absolute last resort.
That about sums it up!

04-29-2008, 04:32 AM
This is the absolute worst police agency in Florida, our contract sucks, our union won't fight for one, everyone is self serving and only want to get a few more scraps in their troughs. I guess that is ok if your on the fast track up. Everyone besides partolman, detectives and a few sgt. are pu**ys. Our pay sucks, the citizens will never support us, or the commission, obviously city hall hates us. But come on in and sign up, you will want to hang your self after a week, no pun intended.

04-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Why not Boca I have see a lot of nice positives on their website

Large contribution to your pension, high health care, no use of take home off duty, little room for advancement, very little experience dealing with real crime. You will answer to the citizens and do what they tell you. It all depends on what u want from a police department. Boca is a joke. Oh yea, they are horrible at solving crimes. Good luck

04-29-2008, 03:51 PM
What is your take on Broward Sheriff?

Are they hiring Law Enforcement? Good Agency?

04-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Hey,

A few questions about FLPD for LEOs that WORK FOR THEM...

What hours/shifts do they work? How many days a week, hours per shift?

How long does the average hiring process take with FLPD?

What is there take home care policy?

In your opinion what is the best and worst aspect of working for FLPD?

Thanks guys... trying to decide what agencies to apply for.

WHEN YOU CAN SPELL CAR COME APPLY

04-29-2008, 07:00 PM
What's with everyone on these forums? Someone makes a stupid spelling mistake and you make a ***** ass comment. Get a life man.

04-29-2008, 10:34 PM

They had some issues with their last Sheriff that are being resolved. They have great equipment, good pay/benefits, and lots of places to move around. They are hiring last I heard. Very good place to work, but like any place they have their problems. Good luck.

04-29-2008, 11:37 PM

Why don't you ask your stupid questions on the the BSO page. THIS IS FLPD (FORT LAUDERDALE POLICE) we have our own problems to deal with, we don't need county ass-kissers here..

04-30-2008, 02:58 AM
WOW! I was drilled on my oral board what the **** over! 8) That female sgt needs a good f****** I tell yA! Talk about first impressions!

04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
That was Monica. Did you like her ?

04-30-2008, 01:48 PM

Why don't you ask your stupid questions on the the BSO page. THIS IS FLPD (FORT LAUDERDALE POLICE) we have our own problems to deal with, we don't need county ass-kissers here..

Because I was asking my original question here. I can see the only police work you do is on these forums.

04-30-2008, 04:16 PM
She's okay, just wished she would have laid-off a little I'm a certified officer with over 4 years experience. Just COP TO COP talk would have been fine.

04-30-2008, 06:11 PM
She's okay, just wished she would have laid-off a little I'm a certified officer with over 4 years experience. Just COP TO COP talk would have been fine.

She was mad that you have more police experience than she does. Notice I said "POLICE" experience. Did you get her number?

04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
That was Monica. Did you like her ?
Is MF doing oral boards??? She will scare everyone off! What does she know about being a cop anyways.

04-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Leave her alone,,I love Monica

05-01-2008, 12:07 AM
No I did not, but she had mine! 8) Let's see what happens next! Not sure if I will be called anyway. 8)

05-01-2008, 02:06 AM
Im strongly considering a move from FD to PD. Ft laud is my home town, so thats where I would like to work. It will start to change in the near future, slowly but surely as the cm gets replaced. The stuff I read on this forum is insane. I cannot believe the FLPD is in the shape that it is. They say a fish rots from the head down. This Dept is long overdue for some positive change. Stay safe.

05-01-2008, 05:18 AM
Im strongly considering a move from FD to PD. Ft laud is my home town, so thats where I would like to work. It will start to change in the near future, slowly but surely as the cm gets replaced. The stuff I read on this forum is insane. I cannot believe the FLPD is in the shape that it is. They say a fish rots from the head down. This Dept is long overdue for some positive change. Stay safe.

You want to give up working 12 days a month, getting 3 meal breaks, workout time and nappy time to come work 4 days a week, and get mandatoried for OT on 3 of them????? You are either really misinformed or you need to re-evaluate the totality of the quality of life that you enjoy. Besides, everyone loves firemen. They are so brave. Really they are. Just ask anyone. Especially cat owners. Without firemen, who would rescue treed kittens?

"INSERT UNIT HERE 10-65 a Trouble Breathing Call. 93 year old woman is having chest pains and trouble maintaining her breath. Rescue will be standing by down the street until you secure the geriatric hellraiser"

05-01-2008, 03:01 PM
This is the absolute worst police agency in Florida, our contract sucks, our union won't fight for one, everyone is self serving and only want to get a few more scraps in their troughs. I guess that is ok if your on the fast track up. Everyone besides partolman, detectives and a few sgt. are pu**ys. Our pay sucks, the citizens will never support us, or the commission, obviously city hall hates us. But come on in and sign up, you will want to hang your self after a week, no pun intended.

Don't forget we also have chronic *****ers at the department.

Take it easy or your heart's going to explode.

05-01-2008, 10:49 PM
PHILADELPHIA — Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey announced a shake-up of the department's command – doubling the number of deputy commissioners to eight - as he began to unveil his crime-fighting initiative to put more patrol officers on the streets as the weather warms.

Less than four months into the job, Ramsey reconfigured the 6,600-member department into two main operating groups that will be headed by current deputy commissioners.

Ramsey and Mayor Nutter announced the major reorganization today on the date that Ramsey had promised to put 200 new officers on patrol duty in an effort to increase the department's visibility and to reduce crime.

At a press conference with Mayor Nutter, Ramsey vowed: "We will not let you down, sir."

In turn, Nutter said: "I have a tremendous amount of confidence in this team."

Nutter also said that "this city is safer today than it was a year ago," though he noted a spate of violence in recent weekends made the gains "fragile."

In nine districts targeted earlier this year for an increased police presence, homicide is down 40 percent and the number of shooting victims is down 30 percent.

Additional details are expected to be announced this afternoon as Ramsey and Nutter elaborate on the plan.

In January, Ramsey had promised to shift 200 additional officers by today into nine police districts that experienced the greatest number of violent crimes.

The commissioner already has disbanded the Strategic Intervention Tactical Unit created last year by former Commissioner Sylvester Johnson. The SITE officers were redeployed to beef up district patrol staffs.

Earlier this week, Ramsey announced the 135 officers in the Narcotics Strike Force would be attached to the Patrol Bureau, where they would focus on a broad range of offenses, including property crimes.

Ramsey says he has initiated a department-wide review of special units with an aim of increasing the number of "generalists" who can be dispatched to fight a range of crimes and increase the department's visibility.

"To me, in my way of thinking, everything exists to support the patrol fuction," Ramsey said in an interview Tuesday. "Everything. If you don't support the patrol function, I question why you exist."

[i]Our department should read this and adopt similar methods. How ingenious. Beef up patrol to safe and effective levels. Shift manpower from specialty units to patrol. Get cops out of admin jobs that can be done by civilians who are better qualified and put the cops out doing police work. Fascinating!

05-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Its 9 days a month tough guy. Besides, I was not seeking your personal sarcastic opinion. Eight years and have yet to receive a call for a ***** in a tree, have you?? Relax already, you dont always have to be bitter. Oh yeah mandatory time and a half, OUCH!

05-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Whats up guys, i am a former LEO from NYC and i just made the move to South Florida. I basically quit my job up there and moved. I just finished my comparative compliance and i had the interview with FLPD about 2 months ago. The interview it self sucked!!! Got an 82. anyways, i have the psych on Friday. Whats the order of the hiring process?? I though the poly was after the interview...

To all LEO's in FLPD, hang in there!!! Things will get better. NYPD is 100 times worst, TRUST ME!!!

05-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Whats up guys, i am a former LEO from NYC and i just made the move to South Florida. I basically quit my job up there and moved. I just finished my comparative compliance and i had the interview with FLPD about 2 months ago. The interview it self sucked!!! Got an 82. anyways, i have the psych on Friday. Whats the order of the hiring process?? I though the poly was after the interview...

To all LEO's in FLPD, hang in there!!! Things will get better. NYPD is 100 times worst, TRUST ME!!!

Call backgrounds, they should know.

05-06-2008, 06:40 AM
The FLPD was a great place to work. It has changed quite a bit in the last few years but hopefully that will change as soon as we get rid of our administration. Most captains on down are pretty good. Like every department, you have your be-atches that live to complain. We still have the best group of officers in the land but times are very tough.