PDA

View Full Version : State pay raises announced in budget.

04-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Nil, Nada, zilch, nothing!

If I did my math right that means over the past two years, getting $1000 across the board last year, our pay raise would come to $0.26 per hour in a 160 hour time frame for the 2 year period.

Also, do most of you realize that the $1000 we got last year does NOT count towards our retirement!!

Can't wait to go to work in the morning.

Troopers are getting 6%.

04-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Where the hell is PBA? ABT needs its own bargaining unit and special legislation introduced at EVERY session to address the pay compression issue. Only by targeted legislation that increases pay incrementally one session at a time can ABT creep back up the pay scale to parity with what other state law enforcement agencies are paying. If the legislature even agreed to pay one thousand extra to career ABT agents as an incentive to keep new officers, it would mean something provided that bill could get passed five or six years in a row. But PBA isn't even trying. ABT is not even in the game. Not even in the stadium.

Where the hell is the DIRECTOR? Time was when ABT DIRECTOR was connected to the legislative session and advised on policy ref. alcohol issues and there is no bigger policy issue facing ABT than the dismal pay that is driving 30% of agents out of the door every single year. The job is about making a better agency not any other single thing. Point fingers all you want the DIRECTOR should be accountable to agents on the crucial issue of pay. Stop issuing directives about energy drinks and deal with the only issue that really matters. Safeguard benefits, grow the agency, pay more, offer incentives, create and grow off-duty employment and show some fiscal responsibility.

04-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Please allow me to explain how FHP got a raise (and got a raise a couple years ago) and we got nothing.

The problem is DBPR. The department cares no more for you than they care for anyone else. Being a law enforcement officer in a department of civilians will never create a climate of growth. There will never be anything for us (raise) that isn't given to everyone. We are already resented within the department. If you don't believe that, broaden your circle of friends. Non-sworn are enivious of the cars, clothes, incentive pay, regular pay, equipment, flexible hours, you name it. Meanwhile, all they hear is moaning from some twit about "I didn't get a new car." This plays over and over in their minds while they pump $3.50 a gallon gas into their 15 year old car. My point? That resentment goes way up the chain of this civilian organization. The days when the director was a legislative connected politician have been gone since 1969 - the year that signified the beginning of the end for the "Beverage Department." As far as I'm concerned, the biggest problem is the lack of a united vision for making this a better place. Secretaries, directors, chiefs - they all come and go. None of them have ever gone to governor or the legislature and said "this isn't right!" They just stand there while they are fed the "party line" with no intention of sticking their necks out for fear of losing their piece of the pie. Politics and law enforcement create a sick combination. The PBA is powerless to do anything but collect dues. It has been said before and I will repeat it here - We are necessary, but not important. It is what it is. I am happy for the FHP. They had the support of their brass (sworn and non-sworn.) The groundwork for this raise started long before the legislative session began. They had a united vision. That is something we have not experienced. I would hope that we learn something from this, but I have been around long enough to realize that won't happen either.

04-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Wondering what your abt leadership did in your behalf this session? Nothing. Here are two letters (one from FHP colonel, one from FWC colonel) explaining what they did. The FWC colonel calls the FHP only pay raise a "slap in the face." The ABT response? I'm still waiting for the outrage from our command staff............

On Sunday, the House and Senate agreed upon a 5% salary increase for sworn members of the Florida Highway Patrol. This is a major accomplishment during a legislative session challenged by state revenue shortfalls of over $2 billion. It appears that out of the more than 220,000 state employees FHP are the only ones to receive a salary increase this year. Many agencies are dealing with layoffs and severe service reductions. While we will also share in some of the reductions related to vacant positions and reductions in excess salary dollars, we are very fortunate to enjoy this raise. Take pride, this is a great day for the Patrol and a great block to build upon.

The salary increase is the result of many hours of planning, visiting, and teamwork by PBA FHP Chapter represented by Trooper Bill Smith and Sergeant Tim Roufa and their Executive Board, Florida PBA represented by Dave Murrell, Matt Puckett, and Gary Bradford, FAST represented by Drew Medcalf and Tommy Owens, FHP/DHSMV represented by Executive Director Electra Bustle, Colonel John Czernis, and Legislative Liaison Steven Fielder, and the FHPA represented by Major Herb Sheahane. We are also grateful to Senator Mike Fasano, Representative Marcelo Llorente, Representative Dean Cannon and Chairman Ray Sansom and the many legislators who spoke highly of the Patrol and the need to assist us in our recruitment and retention. This also would not have been possible without the support of legislative leadership in Speaker Rubio and President Pruitt.

In addition to this pay increase, we have been working over the last several months on establishing a career path program to include a ranking of trooper, trooper first class, senior trooper and master trooper and some additional opportunities for other ranks as well.

We are thankful to the Governor, the Cabinet, and both the House and the Senate for recognizing the importance of the Florida Highway Patrol and the dedicated service of our members. This salary increase is a poignant statement of their respect and recognition of what you do for Florida’s citizens and visitors. Stepping out and providing a pay raise during a year of reductions and lay-offs for one agency speaks volumes of their respect for us and the work we do! Your professionalism is what enabled our elected officials to make this tough decision and will allow us to continue our progress for next year.

We also need to recognize the hard work performed by our non-sworn members. This legislation presented an opportunity for us to address recruitment and retention issues for our troopers. We will continue in our fight for all members of the Patrol – sworn and non-sworn alike – at every opportunity.

The salary increase is effective on October 1, 2008. We will continue to finalize the career path program and will implement it as soon as practical.

Thank you for your dedication and service to the people of Florida. We are proud of you and your service.

Should you have any questions, please contact me.

Sincerely,

John Czernis

Posted: 04/28/08 20:17:03 Post subject: Colonel Jones e-mail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Law Enforcement Staff:

Last week the Senate and House of Representatives (House) Conference Committee finalized their budget proposals for Fiscal Year 2008-2009, however, they left several issues undecided. These issues were “bumped up” to the appropriations chairs. For FWC, the bump issues were those associated with all pay increase requests and the Senate proposed vessel registration fee adjustment (SB 1286).

The appropriations chairs met on Sunday, April 27 and the House agreed with the Senate position. They are approving the vessel registration fee adjustment and they will not cut 66 law enforcement positions. In addition, $900,000 was approved for higher fuel costs and $1,550,000 was approved for derelict vessel removal.

During separate legislative action, an increase in our Boating Safety Grant funds has been approved that will finance the implementation of our mobile computer project and provide an additional $1,200,000 for operational expenses.

We did not receive any increase in pay for our officers, but the Appropriation Chairs did approve a 5% pay increase for the Florida Highway Patrol effective October 1, 2008. We were informed at the beginning of session that there would not be any pay raises for state employees, so it was unexpected for any single unit to receive a pay raise in times of a statewide budget crisis. This increase for the FHP is not associated with the FHP bill that was filed at the beginning of session. That bill has not passed. This pay issue came up this weekend during the budget conference, limiting our ability to react. There will be no step pay plan or similar authority for the FHP.

Please Note: The Conference Committee’s report, including the chairs decisions will be the appropriations bill that is voted on by the Senate and House. The bill will then be sent to the Governor for his approval. He has the option to accept the budget proposal as passed by the Legislature or exercise his line-item veto authority to eliminate issues he deems inappropriate or unnecessary. Line-item vetoes are unlikely to happen.

There were many people heavily engaged in working with legislative staff and members as late as this morning, Monday, April 28 in an attempt to secure an equivalent pay raise for our lieutenants, pilots, investigators and officers. Commission Chairman Barreto and I have been closely involved by communicating with Senate and House members throughout the session and during this past weekend when the appropriations chairs met pushing for all of our issues.

This is a “slap in the face” to all of our personnel who are equally deserving of a pay increase. We respond alongside FHP to the multitude of law enforcement missions that face the State of Florida.

We would like for you to understand that we appreciate the outstanding job you do every day and this pay raise for troopers should not lessen the exceptional efforts you accomplish everyday you put your uniform on and go to work.

The results of your daily efforts are recognized by some members of the Senate and House and allowed us to keep from losing any positions, obtain additional money for fuel and operating expenses and begin the process of getting laptops in our vehicles.

These items are nothing in comparison to what you deserve in salary, but will allow us to go out and continue to provide the professional level of service to the citizens and visitors of Florida.

With respect,

Colonel Julie Jones

04-29-2008, 04:50 AM
All I can say is WOW ! and... make this job work for you... :wink:

04-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Here's the letter for ABT:

Dear Law Enforcement Team of ABT,
I Direct you to stop worrying about pay issues or supporting your family. Please just get used to the fact that you will have to get married five + times if you want to be supported. I will talk more and issue a pop quiz at the managers meeting. For a grade. Also you can have energy drinks on a 2APS. I checked.
Cyndi Hill

04-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Where the hell is PBA? ABT needs its own bargaining unit and special legislation introduced at EVERY session to address the pay compression issue. Only by targeted legislation that increases pay incrementally one session at a time can ABT creep back up the pay scale to parity with what other state law enforcement agencies are paying. If the legislature even agreed to pay one thousand extra to career ABT agents as an incentive to keep new officers, it would mean something provided that bill could get passed five or six years in a row. But PBA isn't even trying. ABT is not even in the game. Not even in the stadium.

Where the hell is the DIRECTOR? Time was when ABT DIRECTOR was connected to the legislative session and advised on policy ref. alcohol issues and there is no bigger policy issue facing ABT than the dismal pay that is driving 30% of agents out of the door every single year. The job is about making a better agency not any other single thing. Point fingers all you want the DIRECTOR should be accountable to agents on the crucial issue of pay. Stop issuing directives about energy drinks and deal with the only issue that really matters. Safeguard benefits, grow the agency, pay more, offer incentives, create and grow off-duty employment and show some fiscal responsibility.

Where the hell is the Director you ask? Probably out looking for a new husband would be my guess. You expected Cindy Casey, Virgadamo, Watts, Sellers, Sampson, Jones, Smith, Britt Hill to be looking out for you? Get real. If you can make it to retirement word is that you'll get 3% every year.

04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
In all those names you forget Drinkwater

04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I can tell you all that the PBA sucks. You are just pissing your money away if you make monthly payments to the PBA. You may think they will represent you if you need an attorney, wrong. If members with AB&T only knew about the PBA. It is sad that they will take your money but will not be their when you need to be represented. They will send you a PBA rep. who has been fired from another agency. They will not provide you with an attorney. The PBA has been like this for over 40 years when it come to AB&T. I know first hand and have been exposed to it all and it will very sad that the PBA will go to bat for the FHP but not for the AB&T. Like I said the PBA is sorry and they suck.

04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Let's get the teamsters !!! Seriously.. who not?

04-29-2008, 09:28 PM

Is that piney rooter still with you?

04-30-2008, 02:36 AM
Well that just sucks... like the other guy said... make this job work for you.

04-30-2008, 12:48 PM

Is that piney rooter still with you?

It appears he is still with us. Actual sightings have been rare, and confirmations even more rare. He has mastered the sleath mode of operation.

05-01-2008, 02:09 AM
Jerry went to an S.O. what are you all talking about?

05-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Jerry who?

05-01-2008, 08:59 PM

We be talking about Tony.

05-02-2008, 07:44 PM

We be talking about Tony.

Great grammer, no wonder no takes you seriously.

05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Great grammer right back at you!

05-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Great grammer, no wonder no takes you seriously.

Great grammer right back at you!

Spelling, too—it’s “grammar” dumbsh**! You probably can’t spell ABT. And you wonder why you didn’t get a pay raise!

05-04-2008, 02:01 AM
WHO CARES !!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

05-08-2008, 09:26 PM
WHO CARES !!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Let me jsut say taht is asomle, siht you nveer kenw!

05-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Tony Drinkwater is in Jacksonville with the little short agent. The little guy likes to go into topless bars and spend state money. Drinkwater would retire but he is to lazy to fill out the paper work.

05-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Tony Drinkwater is in Jacksonville with the little short agent. The little guy likes to go into topless bars and spend state money. Drinkwater would retire but he is to lazy to fill out the paper work.
He is doing what he should be doing.

05-11-2008, 11:33 PM
TD is doing just fine, after all he has to put up with Captain Fantastic. He lets his people do their jobs, which is more than some stupervisors can say.

05-16-2008, 01:01 AM
I heard a tale that you can see the little agents shoes in his driver's license picture. Is this true? Can anyone confirm this? How does he drive?

05-17-2008, 02:33 PM
with all the talk of low pay, better places, low esteem for the ABT office? is that what you are or really a license checher.
why not just go to another position,FHP, FDLE PD SO FDOT many more.
your pay islow, you hate what you do, and complain about your LTs, Capts, and Directors.
MOVE on, and let others that want to go get the job,
many of us have alraedy done the real police thing and what a position to just check licenses.
Once again cops that are given what they ask for and complain when they get it.
30 years I hear the same story, what brother hood, thats a joke and a myth to pass on to the public.
Just asking you to move on for us older guys.

05-17-2008, 03:39 PM
with all the talk of low pay, better places, low esteem for the ABT office? is that what you are or really a license checher.
why not just go to another position,FHP, FDLE PD SO FDOT many more.
your pay islow, you hate what you do, and complain about your LTs, Capts, and Directors.
MOVE on, and let others that want to go get the job,
many of us have alraedy done the real police thing and what a position to just check licenses.
Once again cops that are given what they ask for and complain when they get it.
30 years I hear the same story, what brother hood, thats a joke and a myth to pass on to the public.
Just asking you to move on for us older guys.

You must be a proud product of the Florida school system and Florida law enforcement. Learn how to read and write before you go on this forum.

05-17-2008, 10:50 PM
You must be a proud product of the Florida school system and Florida law enforcement. Learn how to read and write before you go on this forum.[/quote]

Please explain how one goes on this forum? I am particularly interested in what school you attended you jackass!

06-11-2008, 07:57 PM
No, he's right. Your writing really sucks

eg: (for you that's for example:

Sentences should start with a capital.
"brother hood" is one word (Brotherhood)
"thats" should be: that's as in that is.

I'll cut you some slack though because you suggest in your verbage that you're an old f.art. It's then reasonable to assume that you've forgotten much of what you should have learned in the third grade.

06-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh, I forgot...........................let me see your license.

06-22-2008, 01:14 PM
I heard a tale that you can see the little agents shoes in his driver's license picture. Is this true? Can anyone confirm this? How does he drive?

Also, when he's getting a lap dance, who sits in who's lap?

06-22-2008, 01:17 PM
there can be advantages to almost everything, for example:

nose to nose his toes are in
toe to toe his nose is in.

06-22-2008, 10:29 PM

Wonder what folks say about your wonderful self. Hopefully, it's just as humiliating...we can only hope..and no, this isn't BC. I've only met im twice and he seemed okay. Can't help if he's short, just like you can't help being an a$$ wipe.

06-23-2008, 07:06 PM

Wonder what folks say about your wonderful self. Hopefully, it's just as humiliating...we can only hope..and no, this isn't BC. I've only met im twice and he seemed okay. Can't help if he's short, just like you can't help being an a$$ wipe.

You're right, I'm an a$$hole. I saw an opportunity to get in my "toe to toe" thing after rerading all the other stuff and I did it at the expense of someone I don't even know so I salute you for standing up for him. That's exactually what this agency needs to counter all this bashing bull$hit so maybe my misguided attempt at being funny serves a good purpose and I say that deserving no credit. Credit goes to you and perhaps others will pick up the banner of espirit de corps which you've demonstrated to have survived all the other negativity. To the person I surely offended........I apologize.