PDA

View Full Version : FHP 5% Raise

04-28-2008, 01:24 AM
FHP gets a 5% raise! All other SLEO's 0%. What about health insurance, is that set to raise? If so, we are in the negative.

04-28-2008, 01:32 AM
At least we know Senator Lisa Carlton not only dislikes FWC, but FHP as well!! Good Hunting..

04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
On Sunday, the House and Senate agreed upon a 5% salary increase for sworn members of the Florida Highway Patrol. This is a major accomplishment during a legislative session challenged by state revenue shortfalls of over $2 billion. It appears that out of the more than 220,000 state employees FHP are the only ones to receive a salary increase this year. Many agencies are dealing with layoffs and severe service reductions. While we will also share in some of the reductions related to vacant positions and reductions in excess salary dollars, we are very fortunate to enjoy this raise. Take pride, this is a great day for the Patrol and a great block to build upon.

The salary increase is the result of many hours of planning, visiting, and teamwork by PBA FHP Chapter represented by Trooper Bill Smith and Sergeant Tim Roufa and their Executive Board, Florida PBA represented by Dave Murrell, Matt Puckett, and Gary Bradford, FAST represented by Drew Medcalf and Tommy Owens, FHP/DHSMV represented by Executive Director Electra Bustle, Colonel John Czernis, and Legislative Liaison Steven Fielder, and the FHPA represented by Major Herb Sheahane. We are also grateful to Senator Mike Fasano, Representative Marcelo Llorente, Representative Dean Cannon and Chairman Ray Sansom and the many legislators who spoke highly of the Patrol and the need to assist us in our recruitment and retention. This also would not have been possible without the support of legislative leadership in Speaker Rubio and President Pruitt.

In addition to this pay increase, we have been working over the last several months on establishing a career path program to include a ranking of trooper, trooper first class, senior trooper and master trooper and some additional opportunities for other ranks as well.

We are thankful to the Governor, the Cabinet, and both the House and the Senate for recognizing the importance of the Florida Highway Patrol and the dedicated service of our members. This salary increase is a poignant statement of their respect and recognition of what you do for Florida’s citizens and visitors. Stepping out and providing a pay raise during a year of reductions and lay-offs for one agency speaks volumes of their respect for us and the work we do! Your professionalism is what enabled our elected officials to make this tough decision and will allow us to continue our progress for next year.

We also need to recognize the hard work performed by our non-sworn members. This legislation presented an opportunity for us to address recruitment and retention issues for our troopers. We will continue in our fight for all members of the Patrol – sworn and non-sworn alike – at every opportunity.

The salary increase is effective on October 1, 2008. We will continue to finalize the career path program and will implement it as soon as practical.

Thank you for your dedication and service to the people of Florida. We are proud of you and your service.

Should you have any questions, please contact me.

Sincerely,

John Czernis

04-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Dear Law Enforcement Staff:

Last week the Senate and House of Representatives (House) Conference Committee finalized their budget proposals for Fiscal Year 2008-2009, however, they left several issues undecided. These issues were “bumped up” to the appropriations chairs. For FWC, the bump issues were those associated with all pay increase requests and the Senate proposed vessel registration fee adjustment (SB 1286).

The appropriations chairs met on Sunday, April 27 and the House agreed with the Senate position. They are approving the vessel registration fee adjustment and they will not cut 66 law enforcement positions. In addition, $900,000 was approved for higher fuel costs and $1,550,000 was approved for derelict vessel removal.

During separate legislative action, an increase in our Boating Safety Grant funds has been approved that will finance the implementation of our mobile computer project and provide an additional $1,200,000 for operational expenses.

We did not receive any increase in pay for our officers, but the Appropriation Chairs did approve a 5% pay increase for the Florida Highway Patrol effective October 1, 2008. We were informed at the beginning of session that there would not be any pay raises for state employees, so it was unexpected for any single unit to receive a pay raise in times of a statewide budget crisis. This increase for the FHP is not associated with the FHP bill that was filed at the beginning of session. That bill has not passed. This pay issue came up this weekend during the budget conference, limiting our ability to react. There will be no step pay plan or similar authority for the FHP.

Please Note: The Conference Committee’s report, including the chairs decisions will be the appropriations bill that is voted on by the Senate and House. The bill will then be sent to the Governor for his approval. He has the option to accept the budget proposal as passed by the Legislature or exercise his line-item veto authority to eliminate issues he deems inappropriate or unnecessary. Line-item vetoes are unlikely to happen.

There were many people heavily engaged in working with legislative staff and members as late as this morning, Monday, April 28 in an attempt to secure an equivalent pay raise for our lieutenants, pilots, investigators and officers. Commission Chairman Barreto and I have been closely involved by communicating with Senate and House members throughout the session and during this past weekend when the appropriations chairs met pushing for all of our issues.

This is a “slap in the face” to all of our personnel who are equally deserving of a pay increase. We respond alongside FHP to the multitude of law enforcement missions that face the State of Florida.

We would like for you to understand that we appreciate the outstanding job you do every day and this pay raise for troopers should not lessen the exceptional efforts you accomplish everyday you put your uniform on and go to work.

The results of your daily efforts are recognized by some members of the Senate and House and allowed us to keep from losing any positions, obtain additional money for fuel and operating expenses and begin the process of getting laptops in our vehicles.

These items are nothing in comparison to what you deserve in salary, but will allow us to go out and continue to provide the professional level of service to the citizens and visitors of Florida.

With respect,

Colonel Julie Jones

04-29-2008, 01:53 AM
DEAR COLONEL PISSY. ANOTHER AGENCY GETS A PAY RAISE AND IT IS A SLAP IN THE FACE. GIVE ME A BREAK. DO YOUR HOMEWORK YOU IDIOT.

FHP GOT A 5 PERCENT PAY RAISE BUT LOST ALL THEIR OVERTIME. SO TROOPERS LOST THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.

HOW DARE YOU SLAM FHP SIMPLY BECAUSE THEIR BRASS STOOD UP FOR THEM AND GOT THEM A PAY INCREASE. MAYBE IF YOU GOT OFF YOUR FAT A$$ AND WORKED THE HALLS OF THE LEGISLATURE YOU COULD GET SOME MONEY FOR YOUR PEOPLE.

HECK YOU WON'T EVEN LET YOUR GUYS WORK OFFDUTY AND USE THEIR VEHICLES TO MAKE EXTRA MONEY. YES YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR PEOPLE.

YOU ARE TRUELY A WORTHLISS PIECE OF $HIT.

04-29-2008, 02:15 AM
Boo Hoo they didn't give my guys a raise..... It is NOT FAIR .....Boo Hoo Hooo. Does anyone have a motrin, I am going to bed and cry the week away.

04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
HECK YOU WON'T EVEN LET YOUR GUYS WORK OFFDUTY AND USE THEIR VEHICLES TO MAKE EXTRA MONEY. YES YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR PEOPLE.

That is not true....you must be getting info from a moron. Vehicle use and off duty hours have been extended significantly to favor us.

04-29-2008, 01:41 PM
It's for this exact reason I chose to take my exceptional efforts I accomplish everyday I work and put a different uniform on to go to work.

You can hand out star badges, cowboy hats and laptops and that is fine and great. But at the end of the day none of that helps to put bread on the table.

New FWC motto... "The job is great. It's the pay that sucks"!

tuff1217
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
DEAR COLONEL PISSY. ANOTHER AGENCY GETS A PAY RAISE AND IT IS A SLAP IN THE FACE. GIVE ME A BREAK. DO YOUR HOMEWORK YOU IDIOT.

FHP GOT A 5 PERCENT PAY RAISE BUT LOST ALL THEIR OVERTIME. SO TROOPERS LOST THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.

HOW DARE YOU SLAM FHP SIMPLY BECAUSE THEIR BRASS STOOD UP FOR THEM AND GOT THEM A PAY INCREASE. MAYBE IF YOU GOT OFF YOUR FAT A$$ AND WORKED THE HALLS OF THE LEGISLATURE YOU COULD GET SOME MONEY FOR YOUR PEOPLE.

YOU ARE TRUELY A WORTHLISS PIECE OF $HIT.

Even though I might not agree with or even think Colonel Jones was slaming FHP I think you are ill informed and show what kind of character you have with a comment like you made. It is very petty to attack a person call them names and speak with ignorance.

04-29-2008, 11:23 PM
What Tuff said.... I know it is frustrating and all, but is there really a need for name calling and put downs??

04-29-2008, 11:26 PM
One more thing... if you are that dis-satisfied with FWC and Col Jones, leave!!! Man up and move on!!

The Job is Great. It's the pay that sucks!!!

04-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Excellent post Already left. I could not agree more.

04-30-2008, 01:56 AM
Well said Colonel Jones, some of the other "Colonels" need some of your backbone, where is Dees, Liarford and Barnett?

04-30-2008, 02:52 AM
So...

New badge (@$20 per badge) for 500 or so officers: $10,000

New Hat (@$80 at least per hat) for 500 officers: $40,000

Nobody around to wear them cause they can't survive on the salary,

PRICELESS!!!

guest28555
04-30-2008, 12:41 PM
The reason for FWC's failure to get anything done can be summed up by three letters GFC. Since the merger we have gone backwards. Cowboy hats and wild wild west badges? Somebody needs to grow up and stop pretending they are from a different era. This is 2008 and no place for dumb rednecks.

04-30-2008, 12:53 PM
So...

New badge (@$20 per badge) for 500 or so officers: $10,000

New Hat (@$80 at least per hat) for 500 officers: $40,000

Nobody around to wear them cause they can't survive on the salary,

PRICELESS!!!
Your badge cost estimate is way low - that badge was a least 75.00 each

04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
No room in FWC for rednecks?
Have you guys lost your identity too? Get the brown gun belt and I will take the pay cut to work over there!

matercop
04-30-2008, 03:44 PM
This is 2008 and no place for dumb rednecks.

How about smart rednecks? I was thinking about changing boats.

04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Get your facts straight 2855,...
The new badge idea was initiated by a Lt that came from the former FMP.
I doubt very seriously that any one particular officer has (or will) approach you and request for you to stay with FWC in the event you decide to leave. The agency is a better place as a result of the merger and if you don't believe me ask anyone that had to work for Directors Watson (FMP) or Edwards (GFC).

Just remember that the grass is NOT always greener. If you still persist,................the Coast Guard is always taking applications

04-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Get your facts straight 2855,...
The new badge idea was initiated by a Lt that came from the former FMP.
I doubt very seriously that any one particular officer has (or will) approach you and request for you to stay with FWC in the event you decide to leave. The agency is a better place as a result of the merger and if you don't believe me ask anyone that had to work for Directors Watson (FMP) or Edwards (GFC).

Just remember that the grass is NOT always greener. If you still persist,................the Coast Guard is always taking applications

Have you ever listened to that particular Lt. talk? I here banjos.

04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
The reason for FWC's failure to get anything done can be summed up by three letters GFC. Since the merger we have gone backwards. Cowboy hats and wild wild west badges? Somebody needs to grow up and stop pretending they are from a different era. This is 2008 and no place for dumb rednecks.

WHATS GFC?

04-30-2008, 06:56 PM
The GFC stands for Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission. These were the game wardens that took over the FMP (Marine Patrol) about 9 or so years ago. We went from a respected agency like the FHP to an agency we used to jokingly called the Fur and Feather Club. They got that name because they were alllowed to hunt and fish on private ranches in trade for being that ranchers private security guard. Not much has changed in some cases.

Many of us called it a hostile takover. We wore patent leather and grey and black. We even went to the joint academy with the troopers.

05-01-2008, 12:53 AM

ANONYMITY MAKES THE COWARDLY BRAVE.

-J. Dobbs

05-01-2008, 03:34 AM
The GFC stands for Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission. These were the game wardens that took over the FMP (Marine Patrol) about 9 or so years ago. We went from a respected agency like the FHP to an agency we used to jokingly called the Fur and Feather Club. They got that name because they were alllowed to hunt and fish on private ranches in trade for being that ranchers private security guard. Not much has changed in some cases.

Many of us called it a hostile takover. We wore patent leather and grey and black. We even went to the joint academy with the troopers.

Interesting. Thanks!

05-01-2008, 03:56 AM
I don't know of many (if any) ex-FMP officers that will say that FWC is better than FMP...

But if that is how you perceive it, all is good. I wish you many years of continued happiness.

05-06-2008, 01:33 AM
If you like wearing patent leather and a smokey the bear hat, troopers are taking applications for the 116 class go be one of florida's finest

05-06-2008, 06:17 PM
[quote=Anonymous 28555]The reason for FWC's failure to get anything done can be summed up by three letters GFC. Since the merger we have gone backwards. Cowboy hats and wild wild west badges? Somebody needs to grow up and stop pretending they are from a different era. This is 2008 and no place for dumb rednecks.

ANONYMITY MAKES THE COWARDLY BRAVE.

-J. Dobbs[/quote:2fsk4c48]
Anonymity also protects those who speak out on wrongdoings from those that have made careers of running off good officers because they speak their mind. The GFC and those from the former GFC have quite the reputation for doing just that and getting away it. If you can find an old copy of a book called On the Wild Side written by a late GFC warden it will open your eyes to the good old days. They were not that good and some of that old mentality still remains.

05-06-2008, 07:17 PM
I thought this was about the raise not people who cain't get over the past. It's been 10 years since the citizens of the state of Florida voted to merge our two agencys. Get over it or move on.

05-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I thought this was about the raise not people who cain't get over the past. It's been 10 years since the citizens of the state of Florida voted to merge our two agencys. Get over it or move on.

It is about raises and why we can't seem to get one. We need to move beyond the past and try new ideas have not been tried.

05-07-2008, 03:50 AM
FWC deserved a 5% raise too. I am leaving for FHP they seem to stand together and get it done

05-07-2008, 04:11 AM
FWC deserved a 5% raise too. I am leaving for FHP they seem to stand together and get it done

Maybe you need to go to their forum if you think they stick together.

05-08-2008, 03:31 AM

thats why we dont get anything, cause we always stick our noses where it does not belong, instead of dealing with our own issues. fhp this fhp that,,, why are you even going to their forum?. maybe you should apply with them

05-08-2008, 06:19 PM
[quote="FWC MAN":27zwx6wz]FWC deserved a 5% raise too. I am leaving for FHP they seem to stand together and get it done

thats why we dont get anything, cause we always stick our noses where it does not belong, instead of dealing with our own issues. fhp this fhp that,,, why are you even going to their forum?. maybe you should apply with them[/quote:27zwx6wz]

There is a very simple answer to that, comic relief.... :lol:

05-14-2008, 01:37 PM
"It is about raises and why we can't seem to get one. We need to move beyond the past and try new ideas have not been tried."

Pretty sad when FWC Tally training thinks the pay is fine. It might be fine in hikville, but not in most of FL. Just goes to show you that the message is not consistent that LEO's need a pay raise within their own agency. If it is not vocal and consistent in Tallahassee then you know where everyone else stands...

05-14-2008, 03:21 PM
What did FWC do this legislative session in comparrison to FHP?FHP: Their upper MGT. wrote a bill
They found bill sponsors
They found funding sources
They worked hand in hand with the Florida PBA
All these items were done months before the session
They Lobbied the key players

FWC: Blamed the union was last years failure
Said it was the unions job to get us a pay raise
Asked for laptop computers AGIAN
Prepared a form letter for us to "sign" stating that we feel like the union should have worked harder for us
In other words.......TALK, TALK,TALK, BLAME,BLAME,BLAME

What can we do as officers? We have to make a statement.
First, Do not support unneeded spending(laptops)
Second, DO NOT Volunteer to particapate in this years physical fitness program (save them a few dollars by not going) If for no other reason than to send a statement....DONT VOLUNTEER...Its a perfect time to show we DO have unity within our troops.

05-14-2008, 10:30 PM
They can keep the trophies! What a waste of money, the t-shirts were more than enough.

05-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Not participating in the PT challenge does not seem like an answer to any problem. Being of the new generation FWC, and only FWC, I pride myself on the physical standards that we met and we able to maintain throughout our employment. If anything this challenge should be a way to gain unity by motivating our fellow officers to meet and exceed the physical standards that many other agencies do not establish. I take comfort knowing that my fellow officers are some of the strongest, both mentally and physically, in the state. We need to stop this "old agency" mentality and mold together with common goals and unity. Hopefully those with poor attitudes and blame mentality retire or move on soon.

05-17-2008, 03:18 AM
FNG,

Great attitude brother!!! I wish you the best of luck!!

Get back with me in 10 years when you still haven't gotten any pay raises... It takes it's toll on morale. But then again, you may already have money so pay raises may not matter. If that is the case, then you are the exception, not the rule.

05-17-2008, 01:13 PM
I say 5 years before he/she is gone!

05-17-2008, 05:09 PM
DONT TAKE THIS AS A DEFENSE OF JULIE JONES,CAUSE ITS NOT. BUT SHE ISNT THE ONLY ONE TO BLAME. i WORKED UNDER ALOT OF COLONERLS IN MY TIME.AND I HATE TO SAY IT BUT SHE HAS BEEN BETTER THAN MOST. DONT GET ME WRONG,SHE STILL SUCKS. BUT IT COULD BE AND HAS BEEN A HELL OF ALOT WORST. YES SHE SHOULD TOTE MOST OF THE BLAME,BUT WHAT I FIND INTERESTING IS NO ONE IS BLAMING THE PEOPLE AROUND HER. LOOK AT IT GUYS. ALL OF THEM ARE OLD SCHOOL. THE LET ME STICK IT IN YOUR BACK AT THE SAME TIME I AM TELLING YOU THAT YOU ARE A O.K.GUY. IF WE WANT CHANGE WE NEED TO GET RID OF ALL THE DEAD WOOD IN THE BRYANT BUILDING.THOSE GUYS ARE JUST WAITING AROUND FOR HER TO LEAVE AND BUILD A RETIREMENT AND HOPE THAT ONE OF THEM MAY ONE DAY BE THE BOSS. I BELIEVE THEY ARE UNDERMINING HER TO MAKE THEM LOOK BETTER TO US.I WOULDNT PUT PASS THEM

05-17-2008, 09:38 PM
I am Trooper and I just want to let you all know that you all our a great group. I am upset about the pay raise issue and what happened to all State LEO's this year. I know we seperated are PBA bargaining units last year which made us able to make our own "side deal" for a raise. We were trying to get a step pay plan for us thru rasing the fine for SUSP DL renewals. This should of passed of passed with ease but as we know did not but legislators decided to throw us a "bone" and give us 5%. Now this is nice but i believe this was done just to cause more turmoil and hate between all the State LEO's. Here we are all hating on each other cause of it. It makes me sick. I know you all have a tough job as well and despite what you see troopers saing on the FHP boards I have been to sig 4's where FWC was there before me and helped me out with traffic control.

We all have a very demanding jobs and put our lifes at risk everyday. I believe all State Leo's deserve the 5% raise. I believe we all deserve a step pay plan to keep good people working for us. I suggest as soon as possible that all State LEO's look into ways to fund a retention program for their agency. Maybe they can add a few bucks on to hunting and fishing license for FWC officers. Charge a dollar more to enter a State park let that go to DEP offciers. I believe there is a way we can get this done. Be safe

05-24-2008, 02:56 AM
What if we get rid of our top brass and hire FHPs at least they can get the raise on the budget.

05-30-2008, 04:58 PM
FWC is not a 911 agency and doesn't even work a true 24 hour work schedule. So, that is why "no pay raise."

05-30-2008, 10:47 PM
1) Since NONE of the state agencies (FHP included) answer 911, define "911 agency"??

2) 1 Trooper for 4-5 Counties does not count as a true 24 work schedule.

ALL State Employees deserved and should have gotten a pay raise.

05-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes, all SLEO's deserve a raise. However, at least highway patrol has LEO's to respond 24-7. When FWC stands up and says to the legislature, well dispatch will have to call someone out..... Makes FWC sound real important. And, after the new schedules come out there will not be LEO's out past 8PM. :? So, maybe you do get what you pay for.

05-31-2008, 09:14 PM
left turn, left turn, left turn,

06-10-2008, 02:24 PM

Ok, I HAVE to make this comment to you sir.
I have asked many many people since the merger IF they voted to have the GFC and FMP merge to create one agency. NOBODY has said ...YES. I fully believe if it were on the ballot again, it would not pass.
I'm not saying it was rigged. No way. I suggest people were just not that informed on what they were voting on.

06-10-2008, 02:28 PM
getting off topic, start a new thread. bump

06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I am Trooper and I just want to let you all know that you all our a great group. I am upset about the pay raise issue and what happened to all State LEO's this year. I know we seperated are PBA bargaining units last year which made us able to make our own "side deal" for a raise. We were trying to get a step pay plan for us thru rasing the fine for SUSP DL renewals. This should of passed of passed with ease but as we know did not but legislators decided to throw us a "bone" and give us 5%. Now this is nice but i believe this was done just to cause more turmoil and hate between all the State LEO's. Here we are all hating on each other cause of it. It makes me sick. I know you all have a tough job as well and despite what you see troopers saing on the FHP boards I have been to sig 4's where FWC was there before me and helped me out with traffic control.

We all have a very demanding jobs and put our lifes at risk everyday. I believe all State Leo's deserve the 5% raise. I believe we all deserve a step pay plan to keep good people working for us. I suggest as soon as possible that all State LEO's look into ways to fund a retention program for their agency. Maybe they can add a few bucks on to hunting and fishing license for FWC officers. Charge a dollar more to enter a State park let that go to DEP offciers. I believe there is a way we can get this done. Be safe

Thanks lolz...enjoy your pay raise. You deserve it.