PDA

View Full Version : TAKE HOME CARS

04-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Take home cars should be the next benefit for you guys and gals. Forty mile range.

04-24-2008, 11:08 PM
how about a 60 mile policy,,,, you should be our union rep

04-25-2008, 12:06 AM
We have a union?

04-25-2008, 01:51 AM
UCF has them and FIU is working on them....

04-25-2008, 02:32 AM
I would like to see it happen at USF, and if it does happen here, I'm guessing only the selective few will have the take home cars.

04-25-2008, 03:54 AM
THEN MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD. SPEAK UP AND STAND UP FOR BETTER WORKING CONDITIONS OR BENEFITS. CHANGE DOES NOT COME BY BEING QUIET OR WAITING FOR THE NEXT GUY TO DO SOMETHING. IF YOU THINK YOU DESERVE TAKE HOME CARS, SAY SO. YOU ALREADY PAY TO PARK WHERE YOU WORK.

04-25-2008, 04:13 AM
Last poster....you didn't see what we went through? And had to settle a small cash settlement in the last PBA bargaining agreement? No pay raise on the salary towards retirement. The cash doesnt cut it unless it's a decent amount of cash! the money finally agreed upon doesnt go towards the salary for retirement. Most of the people here are working for a retirement and not a generic cash bonus.

04-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Make voices heard? That worked real good.

04-25-2008, 09:20 AM
All I can say is that the theory is good but there is no way this is happening anytime in the next 5+ years. I would LOVE to give more details but lets just leave it at this.

04-25-2008, 12:04 PM
There is case law with LEO's on the books about retirement benefits being calculated on "total numeration" including bonus, off duty and overtime. Your local PBA or union should look for the case law and get what is owed you! Many agencies have other language in their contracts and that is how they get around this.. but I think you can force the issue in court! Good Luck Guys!

04-30-2008, 02:27 AM
WE HAVE ALL BECOME SHEEP..... NO ONE IS CONCERNED UNLESS IT AFFECTS THEM

04-30-2008, 02:57 AM
copy paste copy paste I presented material that seals the deal.............."NO TAKEHOME CARS FOR YOU! YOU GO HOME NOW! hehe" :lol:

05-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Gas prices are projected to hit $5 a gallon. USF has to cut $34 million out of its budget. I don't think there is any chance of getting take home cars in the near future. Theres no way USF is going to come up money for the cars, or money for all of the fuel take home cars require.

05-01-2008, 11:05 PM
then how about the cars and you fill the tanks as needed .... you will still save

05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Other agencies charge you from your home to work so much per mile. Its a fair way to help off set the gas prices. But, truly, unless you can show some advantage to USF for take home cars, its a dead issue. Take home cars do last longer and more visibility for the agency... something USF probably doesnt care about! Its a great benefit and one worth exploring. If not pay needs to be increased or the revolving door will keep spinning. What does that cost USF in training costs, lost manpower, advertising for new officers, experience, etc. Lets just keep the ones we have with better benefits!

05-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Allied Barton security will be getting take home golf carts

05-09-2008, 10:12 PM
let the pipe dream go

05-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Who funds the department?
If the students fund your department I think I would be against you taking your cars home if you do not live within USF jurisdiction and you can not help out where you are taking your car then it is not benefit to USF. Therefore USF should not be paying for the gas to get you to and from work.
What benefit is it to the comminuty for you to take your cars home?
It is like TPD I do not see how Tampa can be saving money for the officers to be driving their cars all the way to Pasco and other counties. I would think with the price of gas it would cost to much.
If something occurs 60 miles away from USF what can you do about?
Yes you can help out as much as possible however you could that in your own car.
I am only speaking up because I know that tuition keeps going up and I know it is not just your department it is everything that is making it go up. But just remember it is already hard for us to pay for our classes help us try to keep the cost down.

Also I take mostly night classes and I never see any officers out I hope you are out there somewhere because the parking garages are very dark at night.

One last note BE SAFE!!! :D

05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, USF does have an emergency Tactical Response Team. I feel that they deserve a take home car as do the UP Admin rank. These personale are essentially and on call all the time.

The University has a larger buget than the City of Tampa. If the City can afford take home cars and lay off people in a budget crunch, surely the University can afford take home cars in a similar budget crunch for these persons.

05-12-2008, 12:43 AM
It has been proven take home cars last longer, are taken care of better and officers no matter what area you cover have stopped crime going and coming. Besides, all Officers are on call 24/7 for emergencies, crisis situations, and major disasters. In this day and age agencies charge Officers for mileage to and from work so that should not be an issue. Its a benefit, so with USF's low pay it may be a way to keep qualified Officers. If you compare USF's benefits vs others.. we are way behind! Think how much money it constantly costs to train, outfit, and keep an Officer... only to have them leave a short time later for something that can be rectified with pay and benefits! USF is not near the cream of the crop vs many... many.. others in our area. Studies speak for themselves. Also whats with paying to come to work and pay for our own lot ! Absurd! Also an easy fix! Fix the problem or when the crap hits the fan and you have one year old Officers running around .. we will look real silly !

05-12-2008, 04:07 AM
In you're drunken rant, you had some good points. We will be a department full of rookies running the place and seasoned officers will be about non existent. The take home cars would be a good idea, but paying for you own gas and mileage...? Take home cars in general will never happen here. I can see certain officers getting them....,TRT officers, North Zone officers, Logestics,...same as any other department, special people will have them, others will not.

Paying for parking is BS, but I don't see that getting fixed, other than as mentioned, special unit types getting free parking. Not much in a PD, good equipment and pay is ever given to the average patrolman worker, especially in a small place like this. The good stuff is usually given to a few. Get use to it.

05-12-2008, 08:03 AM
I believe that the students tuition does not go toward any of the police services.

05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I believe that the students tuition does not go toward any of the police services.

Thanks for the answer :D

Be Safe out there!!

06-25-2008, 03:50 PM
If the students fund your department I think I would be against you taking your cars home if you do not live within USF jurisdiction and you can not help out where you are taking your car then it is not benefit to USF. Therefore USF should not be paying for the gas to get you to and from work.
It is like TPD I do not see how Tampa can be saving money for the officers to be driving their cars all the way to Pasco and other counties. I would think with the price of gas it would cost to much.
Yes you can help out as much as possible however you could that in your own car.
I am only speaking up because I know that tuition keeps going up and I know it is not just your department it is everything that is making it go up. But just remember it is already hard for us to pay for our classes help us try to keep the cost down.

Also I take mostly night classes and I never see any officers out I hope you are out there somewhere because the parking garages are very dark at night.

One last note BE SAFE

The otherside of the coin, why should I have to drive my own car to court every week on my day off, if there is a major emergency at campus on my day off and I am called in and my wife is out with the car, is it ok I stay at home until she gets done shopping. I should not have to buy a second car to accomadate call ins and court time during my off time.

There are savings contributed to take home cars, for one the life of the car doubles. A fully equipped police car goes for 30K. So if it last 8 years instead of 4 you just saved 30K at the end of four years. Any when you consider the fuel cost your still up around 22K dollars. Now take home cars are washed and wax by the assigned officer for free. So there is another savings the dept does not have to pay.

At the end of the day it comes out cheaper, the cars look better and last longer. Its a winner. Go to any agency with a take home car program and compare it to an agency without one. The repair bills are twice as much.

The fuel cost are a small investment for the return. Plus its a great recruitment and retention tool. We can't pay officers 75K like Tampa, but we can compete in other areas and this is one of them.

But its a mute point because its never gonna happen.

06-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Well to get the program started, the PD can get used cars donated or at a low cost from other depts , sometimes equip. w/lights, cage, siren. A lot of civilans do not relize that the cars our the officers office.

06-25-2008, 07:08 PM
It all sounds great and makes sense but, this is an agency that can no longer give officers a box (1) of ammo a month for practice, suspends the master officer program, and has doubled the workload for the dispatchers, all due to budget cuts.

07-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Wow, I really have to say that in light of other LEO forums where there can be an officer versus citizen mentality, it is really great how professional you all are--especially in how some of you responded to the student's inquiry.

Thanks for all you do and BE SAFE OUT THERE! :)

07-07-2008, 10:52 AM
The Student Govt and Faculty supported us during our contract talks. We continue to have very positive press stories from the USF Oracle newspaper also.

07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
a study on take home cars...

http://www.policedriving.com/article48.htm

07-09-2008, 03:38 AM
Don't expect take homes. They can't even hire more officers they brought in private security because you guys can't handle it on your own and hiring more was too expensive..

07-09-2008, 03:14 PM

One last note BE SAFE

The otherside of the coin, why should I have to drive my own car to court every week on my day off, if there is a major emergency at campus on my day off and I am called in and my wife is out with the car, is it ok I stay at home until she gets done shopping. I should not have to buy a second car to accomadate call ins and court time during my off time.

There are savings contributed to take home cars, for one the life of the car doubles. A fully equipped police car goes for 30K. So if it last 8 years instead of 4 you just saved 30K at the end of four years. Any when you consider the fuel cost your still up around 22K dollars. Now take home cars are washed and wax by the assigned officer for free. So there is another savings the dept does not have to pay.

At the end of the day it comes out cheaper, the cars look better and last longer. Its a winner. Go to any agency with a take home car program and compare it to an agency without one. The repair bills are twice as much.

The fuel cost are a small investment for the return. Plus its a great recruitment and retention tool. We can't pay officers 75K like Tampa, but we can compete in other areas and this is one of them.

But its a mute point because its never gonna happen.

I agree that the cars do last longer. But if you expect to have the car to do all your running around because you only have one personal car that is using a lot of gas that is unrealated to police work. Maybe USF should do like Pasco County is doing. The officers at PSCO can take their cars home but they cannot use them when they are off duty. This saves a lot of gas. It is a benefit to take your car home but if you worked in another police office you may have to have a two car family!

Be Safe out there!!

07-09-2008, 11:07 PM
I have over 20 years as a LEO in the area. There are few agencies who don't have a take home car policy. The only ones I can think of off hand are Airport Police and USFPD.

Most agencies went to take home cars for a variety of reasons. Cost savings due to lower maintenance, etc was a big one. Cars last 5-7 years instead of 3. Officers go into service quicker instead of waiting for the previous officer to remove his gear. Trash and contraband aren't as likely to be a factor either. I remember finding knives, drugs, lighters, and on one occasion a gun under the back seat of cars before we had a take home policy. I had no way of knowing when they were placed there.

It plays a role in attracting and retaining applicants. There are a number of reasons where a take home provides a benefit. If you are required to go to court on your off duty, you don't want to use your own car. I have seen persons I arrested park near me, you think I want them to know which car is mine?
I have been called in during Hurricanes etc. It is bad enough leaving your family, what if you only have 1 car. Your family could be stranded.

The public benefits due to lower crime in the area where a patrol car is parked regardless of jurisdiction. For those who say I don't care, it's not at the University, think about your families and friends. We park in their neighborhoods.

07-10-2008, 08:46 PM
I have over 20 years as a LEO in the area. There are few agencies who don't have a take home car policy. The only ones I can think of off hand are Airport Police and USFPD.

Most agencies went to take home cars for a variety of reasons. Cost savings due to lower maintenance, etc was a big one. Cars last 5-7 years instead of 3. Officers go into service quicker instead of waiting for the previous officer to remove his gear. Trash and contraband aren't as likely to be a factor either. I remember finding knives, drugs, lighters, and on one occasion a gun under the back seat of cars before we had a take home policy. I had no way of knowing when they were placed there.

It plays a role in attracting and retaining applicants. There are a number of reasons where a take home provides a benefit. If you are required to go to court on your off duty, you don't want to use your own car. I have seen persons I arrested park near me, you think I want them to know which car is mine?
I have been called in during Hurricanes etc. It is bad enough leaving your family, what if you only have 1 car. Your family could be stranded.

The public benefits due to lower crime in the area where a patrol car is parked regardless of jurisdiction. For those who say I don't care, it's not at the University, think about your families and friends. We park in their neighborhoods.

WELL SAID!!!

It does not matter what jurisdictions marked car is parked on your street, it is a detrrent to crime anyway. Too many who post here just want to bash us with this "little fish in a little pond" crap. I guess they have an inferiority complex and need to tear others down to build themselves up.

Hey, here's a suggestion you posters. The next time you get stopped for speeding in a small town tell the officer that little fish $hit instead of flashing your badge to get loose. see what that gets you!

Still USFPD will probably NEVER get takehomes even if we couldnt use them for person use, which I think we should not be allowed to. Its a waste of taxpayer money. But we will never get takehomes anyway, the university is just TOO CHEAP!

I like what I do here. But if I ever get sick of the third rate treatment by the university i'll be looking elsewhere.

07-10-2008, 10:00 PM
USF has a lot of cash on hand. They will spend thousands on an old building that will be bulldozed in a few years anyways. Was the old one that bad? It's lasted for years.

It's just like the U.S. Government...,millions can be wasted on BS equipment, but None towards the salary of the average person trying to make ends meet.

On top of the BS that can only be spent from the University for equipment or to fix things up, the UP, in return can only spend their extra money on BS stuff too...., I mean "BS" stuff...every year, it never changes.

They always say that State Agencies have the best equipment..., and this is true, but the workers are struggling to make ends meet. Remember when they found out that Federal Government spent $4000 on a toilet seat and $300 for an average screw driver? The same stuff is still going on and I guess it will never change.

07-10-2008, 10:37 PM
quote=Too many who post here just want to bash us with this "little fish in a little pond" crap. I guess they have an inferiority complex and need to tear others down to build themselves up.

Hey, here's a suggestion you posters. The next time you get stopped for speeding in a small town tell the officer that little fish $hit instead of flashing your badge to get loose. see what that gets you!

Your inferiority complex is shining through loud and clear with your defensive rant! If you didn't have a complex about yourself or your job, you wouldn't feel the need to defend yourself.

07-10-2008, 11:02 PM
"You can be a Big fish in a small pond, or a little fish in a Big pond" Hah, that is a quote, from the Andy Griffith Show.

But it still runs true.

07-11-2008, 02:59 AM
The new fines are great! Mabybe it will finally teach these ofensive traffic violators a lesson!

07-11-2008, 07:34 AM
The new fines are great! Mabybe it will finally teach these ofensive traffic violators a lesson!

Thats RIGHT!! go get them Barney Fife and teach all those tax payers a lesson. Don't forget to take the bullet out of your shirt pocket to show them you mean business.

07-11-2008, 02:56 PM
No way ref increase of fines and teaching people lessons. I have seen them steadly increase for 30 plus years.. it doesnt matter. However they do remember when you give them a break and tell them how much it would have cost them w/ insurance etc. Dont be an A$$ and always write for BS tickets... it hurts the common man who is working hard. If you want to play traffic cop go to FHP.. our kids need lessons and not being a prick cop unless it is warranred. Just remember, it could be your kid who deserves a talking too and break ... no matter what they told you in the academy.. attitude is everything.. unless it was so flagrant it deserves a ticket... dont let the badge go to your head... you will survive much longer..

07-11-2008, 03:43 PM

Thats RIGHT!! go get them Barney Fife and teach all those tax payers a lesson. Don't forget to take the bullet out of your shirt pocket to show them you mean business.

Hey Maria, is it really that slow over in Student Rights? You left so get over us!

07-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Take homes in Hillsborough County:

Tampa
Hillsborough SO
Plant City
Temple Terrace
Seminole Casino Police

If any of those agencies had an emergency and needed mutial aide assistance they have there forces ready to go. Within 12 months they would have completed there radio upgrades to communicate with each other. In essence they will have a giant mutual aide force. Here at USF if an emergency or terrorist attack hits we will be sitting around waiting for the golf carts to charge before we deploy. Although this place is probally safe being its were all the terrorist go to college.

07-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Take homes in Hillsborough County:

Tampa
Hillsborough SO
Plant City
Temple Terrace
Seminole Casino Police

If any of those agencies had an emergency and needed mutial aide assistance they have there forces ready to go. Within 12 months they would have completed there radio upgrades to communicate with each other. In essence they will have a giant mutual aide force. Here at USF if an emergency or terrorist attack hits we will be sitting around waiting for the golf carts to charge before we deploy. Although this place is probally safe being its were all the terrorist go to college.

If any thing big ever goes down on campus your agency isnt going to be the lead on it anyway.. THe SO or TPD's SWAT will take it..

07-17-2008, 02:27 AM
The entire thing is F'd up. There is a professional SWAT team in all surrounding agencies. If a shooter situation happens on campus, everyone working during a day shift should be trained in the use of the newly bought rifles, not a select few for a generic SWAT team!...Oh wait, its a select group and they have the training,...and they need to be on permanent day shift now!. Pure BS!

07-17-2008, 02:46 AM
How did the "team" do when you had the kid with a rifle ???

07-17-2008, 03:12 AM
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q394 ... heriff.jpg (http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q394/smartsheriff/smartsheriff.jpg)

07-17-2008, 03:14 AM
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q394/smartsheriff/smartsheriff.jpg

07-17-2008, 03:56 AM
What is the point of posting that picture. TO try and make yourselves feel better?

07-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Hey ray, apt 2c toilet needs unclogging bring a mop. :D :) :( :o :lol: 8) :evil:

07-17-2008, 04:44 AM
Ever look up the gas mileage on those cars? Not more than the average 4 Cylinder car sold, 4dr even. The only advantage they have is parking space in a crowed city. That car is such a rip off! And anyone that buys one has more brains than sence, unless they plan on tight parking on an overcroweded European street or a motorcycle parking spot on campus, hah, which they will get a parking ticket for.