PDA

View Full Version : Toto Dis ain't Kansas nomo

04-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Dade schools police undertake no-confidence ballot on chief

Posted on Tue, Apr. 15, 2008Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
BY DAVID OVALLE
dovalle@MiamiHerald.com

After gaffes investigating a sex scandal at Northwestern High, a melee at Edison High and a breakdown in contract negotiations, Miami-Dade Schools Police Chief Gerald Darling is again under scrutiny -- from his own officers.

Schools cops this week began casting ballots on whether to vote ''no confidence'' in Darling.

The union characterizes Darling, 52, as an ''absentee leader'' who lacks vision and cedes too much authority to his command staff.

''Passive -- very passive,'' said Fraternal Order of Police President Howard Giraldo. ``As far as we're concerned, his bark has no bite.''

Results of the four-day vote will be announced Friday. The security of Darling's job helming the county's fourth-largest police agency rests with Superintendent Rudy Crew, to whom he reports.

Darling refutes the union's claims, stressing he also answers to students, parents and ultimately Crew.

''I am definitely the police chief that cares about them,'' Darling said of his ranks. ``I understand officers have differences of opinions but I don't feel all officers feel that way.''

Darling was hired in 2004 after 23 years with City of Miami Police Department, where he rose to the post of assistant chief and was key member of the FOP.

Overseeing more than 200 officers, Darling is considered low key.

He rarely addresses the media. After the recent brawl between cops and students at Edison High, Cmdr. Charles Hurley and district spokesman John Schuster handled most interviews.

''He's a gentleman but I think he hasn't earned the respect of the rank and file,'' said Board Member Ana Rivas Logan.

Crew defends the chief.

''Chief Darling's leadership has brought positive change for Miami-Dade County Public Schools students,'' he said in a statement last month. ``Under his direction, violent crime throughout the District has been reduced by 47 percent and student arrests have been reduced by 43 percent.''

In a recent interview with the Miami Herald, Darling pointed to better training and equipment for officers under his watch.

He also lauded the creation of the Civil Citation Program, which allows juveniles arrested for first-time misdemeanors -- say a fight or trespassing -- to avoid charges by participating in community service or getting therapy.

The result has been a dramatic decrease in the number of minor arrests that will ''not criminalize them for the rest of their lives,'' Darling said.

Yet Darling's tenure has been far from smooth.

In 2005, he received flak for penning a letter on behalf of one of Crew's sons, who had been arrested by Miami police in a Coconut Grove bar fight, to a potential employer.

Darling suggested the charge would be dropped or lessened.

''I just offered a professional opinion as a law-enforcement person,'' he told The Herald at the time.

Controversy exploded in December 2006 when a star Northwestern High football player was charged with seducing an underaged girl.

A Miami-Dade grand jury later indicted Northwestern High's principal for covering up the allegations. The grand jury report blasted schools police, saying brass allowed the district to prematurely halt a criminal investigation and wrongly demoted a detective who documented the cover-up.

''It also lowers morale when it appears that some employees within the school district are above the law and therefore immune to investigations into their actions,'' the report said. ``Further, it sends a message that the schools police department is merely a puppet of the school district.''

Darling, when the story broke in January, admitted to The Miami Herald he erred in not telling Crew's office the school administration was under criminal investigation.

Since then, tensions have mounted between officers and the upper ranks as contract negotiations stalled.

The union says Darling has failed to deliver a true headquarters building, state accreditation and most importantly, better wages.

The FOP blames low pay for an exodus of officers while top education administrators last year received $1.4 million in bonuses.

Officers also fear for their jobs after a score of civilian support personnel were recently let go because of the state budget crunch.

''The safety of students and staff will never be compromised, even if the District is forced to lower schools police staffing and resources,'' Crew said in press release.

Finally, the Edison High episode ''was the straw that broke the camel's back,'' union boss Giraldo said.

Students protesting a fellow student's arrest in March began pelting officers with books, chairs and fire extinguishers. Emergency calls for backup went out. Students jumped officers, and several cops suffered broken fingers and dislocated shoulders.

Darling, whose headquarters is next door, rushed to campus along with other top staff as officers corraled students into the cafeteria.

At a union meeting days later, indignant officers accused Darling of trying to prevent them from helping colleagues in peril. One detective, who broke an ankle, accused the chief of abandoning him.

Darling said officers were asked to ''stand down,'' to not antagonize students and avoid unnecessary arrests.

''I made the decision that once the students were moved, there was no need to be in there,'' he said, adding: ``I was hit just like my officers. I stood side by side with them, whether they believe it or not.''

The school district, responding to the FOP vote, itself called the sheer police response 'over-reactive,' in a press release.

Most of the charges have been dropped because Miami-Dade prosecutors figured the charges would be too hard to prove in court.

''An arrest is always an unfortunate incident, especially when it involves a child. However, it is at times, a necessary function of the profession,'' said Hurley, Darling's top aide. ``I can tell you that I was there during the incident, there was probable cause.''

Live from 62 nw 2av, MDSPD HQ, CHIEF DARLING That..that..that..thats all folks!

04-17-2008, 02:07 AM
i think darling and the rest of the command are worthless