PDA

View Full Version : MORE BUDGETT CUTS UNREAL

04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Off duty deputies should have to pay for the use of the County Owned Car they are using to make money when not working regular duty.

Example is a Deputy living in Molino working off-duty gig on the beach.

Drives 25 miles to his off-duty gig.

Idles his vehicle with A/C on High all day.

Burns a full tank of gas..... 15 gallons at 3 bucks a gallon.

45 Bucks the Taxpayers pay for gas while this guy makes money on the side.

Now if only 10 Deputies are doing this twice per week you have 900 bucks per week. This is a very conservative estimate.

THERE IS YOUR COST SAVINGS .......... WHY SHOULD TAX PAYERS HAVE TO PAY YOUR GAS BILL TO MAKE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON THE SIDE? THIS IS A DISGRACE!!!!

04-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Off duty deputies should have to pay for the use of the County Owned Car they are using to make money when not working regular duty.

Now if only 10 Deputies are doing this twice per week you have 900 bucks per week. This is a very conservative estimate.

THERE IS YOUR COST SAVINGS .......... WHY SHOULD TAX PAYERS HAVE TO PAY YOUR GAS BILL TO MAKE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON THE SIDE? THIS IS A DISGRACE!!!!

That is why they should go up on the rates and have the business that hires help defer the cost of fuel and wear and tear on the vehicles!

04-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Ahh the Morganites are at it again making the worst assumptions possible about the deputies they so "whole-heartedly" support.

1. The ECSO doesn't pay tax on their gas which puts it around 1.80 a gallon.

2. They aren't allowed to run their cars all day.

3. You have completely ignored the fact they have to answer calls that you the taxpayer would have to hire more deputies with salary, benefits, another car, and gas on top of it.

Not a conservative estimate at all. Go away now and make up your lies on BLAB, not here.

04-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Correct, it is not a "conservative estimate". It is a very small estimate. In reality I would put the amount around 15 thousand dollars per month.

I guess it's ok for you to live in Munson and drive to your station on fairfield drive too! BS You should have to pay like everyone else.

Live within 20 miles of your assignment or park the "county owned vehicle" and drive your own to work like the rest of us!

04-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Forget paying for a few cars while working off-duty gigs...... Here is a better idea:

Why don't we put our Air Force division on road patrol Parking the helo's and canceling the sight seeing tours would save the citizens of this county over 1.5 million dollars.

04-11-2008, 07:32 PM
'Kiddingme'........One point that you need to consider is that the deputies that work the side jobs are doing so to supplement their income to help make ends meet...There may be exceptions to what I've said but most that I know would rather be home with their wives and children rather than working on their time off...So realize that taking money from some that need to work is not going to help their situation whatsoever...

04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Tell it like it is...Vote Law&Order for Sheriff!

04-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Maybe those very Deputies you are now requesting to pay for the small amount of fuel and wear on their county vehicles, should charge persons fee's when they stop and help them on the way to and from their side jobs. What should we do when we back up a State Trooper or a PPD Officer or SRSO Deputy while traveling to and from work, charge them as well. The availibility of these Sig 15 Deputies when a crisis or critical incident arises far out ways the small amount of cost assciated to the county vehicle use. If you ever worked the street for more than a minute you would recognize this fact. Oh yeah this website is a forum for LEO's, and clearly you are far from being one or understanding law enforcement.

DDG
04-11-2008, 09:04 PM

wow you are uneducated... ok sit down, school is in session.
Gas isn't 3 bucks a gallon for Governmental Vehicles. Government doesn't pay tax on Gas, they would end up taxing their tax money!!! so strip away all the taxes and last time i checked it was right at a buck a gallon without taxes.

Second issue is that the public gets additional Law Enforcement Protection while private enterprises fund the services all for Gas at less than a dollar a gallon. If a situation happens then the Off-Duty Deputy has to respond and can assist and give supplemental manpower to an understaffed Patrol Division.

now run along and go play...

DDG
04-11-2008, 09:07 PM
someone stated 1.80 a gallon, still not a bad deal for the citizens.

04-11-2008, 09:25 PM
'Kiddingme'........One point that you need to consider is that the deputies that work the side jobs are doing so to supplement their income to help make ends meet...There may be exceptions to what I've said but most that I know would rather be home with their wives and children rather than working on their time off...So realize that taking money from some that need to work is not going to help their situation whatsoever...

A salary of over 30,000 a year plus benefits that those of us in the private sector would die for and all for a rookie with only a high school diploma, our heart bleeds for you. Quit cryin and belly achin, do your job and be glad you got it. If you think it’s too tough, quit and join the rest of us who are stuggling on 20,000 a year with not befits.

DDG
04-11-2008, 09:29 PM
the rest of us who are stuggling on 20,000 a year with not befits. with not befits... hmmm just a High School Education right.. well that would explain the making 20k(that means 20,000) a year statement...

04-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Much to the contrary 'guest'.....there was no 'cryin' or 'belly achin' in my statement at all...It's just there has to be a time and place when some folks need to be reminded as to what personnel would be harmed financially....The people that you accuse of cryin and belly achin are guilty of what?.....WORKING to make ends meet now that's a character trait that needs to be corrected....imagine that some that need extra actually have to audacity to work for it and sacrifice their off time and time with their families...By the way from the sounds of your last couple of sentences it does seem that you would recognize the traits you attempted to put on others....

04-12-2008, 12:25 AM
The county gets away with a salary as low for a Deputy of 30k for a reason... because when the deputy needs a little more pay, he can work Sig15s to make ends meet. if you take away that opportunity, or make it less profitable, the salary will ahve to go up, meaning it all balances out for the taxpayers the same way in the end.

04-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Much to the contrary 'guest'.....there was no 'cryin' or 'belly achin' in my statement at all...It's just there has to be a time and place when some folks need to be reminded as to what personnel would be harmed financially....The people that you accuse of cryin and belly achin are guilty of what?.....WORKING to make ends meet now that's a character trait that needs to be corrected....imagine that some that need extra actually have to audacity to work for it and sacrifice their off time and time with their families...By the way from the sounds of your last couple of sentences it does seem that you would recognize the traits you attempted to put on others....

Go to rookie school. Get hired. Go through FTO. Deal with dirt bags all day with all sorts of nasty shit wrong with them, make life altering legal decisions in a split second on a regular basis and you can get that "easy money" too. The job is thankless, high risk and very tough on any person and family. The pay is deserved.

Furthermore, the first priority of any Sheriff is to make sure the deputies are compensated according to fair market value.

No, I am not a Morgan supporter, that is just a general statement. I don't believe anyone in Morgan's camp is capable of understanding what I just said.

For the reocrd, I am a Scapecchi supporter.

04-12-2008, 12:31 AM
For the record, the way I see it, side jobs are a service to the community and also paid for by the community or business requesting the service. The deputy is doing a service. If you are working anywhere, who takes the calls where you are working?

The community or business, by requesting an off duty deputy, is actually agreeing to pay "extra" fees for "extra" law enforcement. That is what it is and the deputy is just working "overtime." That overtime should count for retirement high five too.

So the "side job" is just "overtime" and a requirement (albeit political) of the Sheriff to supply deputies to take care of those requests from the public. Therefore the deputy should be paid fair market "overtime" value and the Sheriff should pick up or pass through all additional costs.

Just my opinion.

DDG
04-12-2008, 06:52 PM
I concur

04-12-2008, 08:52 PM
do you really think so

04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Side jobs are overtime. Overtime should be paid by the Sheriff. The Sheriff should require businesses to compensate for the costs including the officer's overtime.

04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I heard in certain south florida cities that the business would pay 50$ dollars an hour. 20 to the city and 30 to the officer off-duty.

04-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Businesses cant afford that here... get real....

04-15-2008, 10:55 PM
If that is what the market calls for, they'd pay just like they do their own full time hired hands!

As long as we cheapen out time, businesses are more than glad to pay us what we say we are worth.

04-15-2008, 11:43 PM
If that is what the market calls for, they'd pay just like they do their own full time hired hands!

As long as we cheapen out time, businesses are more than glad to pay us what we say we are worth.

The price of an off-duty officer should be the following:

Cost of the Officer at Time & 1/2 and account for Holiday Time, etc., surcharges.

Cost of the Officer's Insurance/Vehicle

Add any premium you can but split it 50/50 with the officer.

The Sheriff should charge it flat rate accross the board and payable to the SO and then they cut the officer a check (minus tax, etc.)

For any officer working off duty on their own gig, pay your own Insurance / Vehicle surcharge / Mileage and do a 10-99. Each job must be approved by OffDuty Coordinator.

04-16-2008, 02:29 AM
"THERE IS YOUR COST SAVINGS .......... WHY SHOULD TAX PAYERS HAVE TO PAY YOUR GAS BILL TO MAKE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON THE SIDE? THIS IS A DISGRACE!!!!"

in my opinion allowing deputies to burn county gas on side jobs is a benefit. The deputies are under paid, so allowing this small benefit helps with retention and recruiting, every small bit helps. It also helps the community because deputies will respond to other calls in the area, and in certain instances they will respond to an emergency from every side job in the county like the incident at west florida hospital a few years back.

In the end everything cost no matter which way you look at it.

If you take away the small benefit and a deputy quits, you have just wasted thousands of dollars in training, and priceless experience in an already young department. If a potential employee sees the low pay, and sees on top of the low pay that he/she has to pay his own gas and insurance on a side job, this could help them decide to work elsewhere.

If you raise the cost of the side job, the private business has to pay more and in turn passes this added cost to the consumer.

If you pay the deputies through the department payroll for side jobs, then the department has to match the dollar amount for federal taxes, ss, and retirement dollars, which again cost the taxpayer.

Deputies are already making the lowest side job pay in this region of the state as it is.

So everything cost its just how you spin it, mcnugget or morganite, in the end its the troops that suffer.

04-16-2008, 02:14 PM
The taxpayer's should not pay for the costs associated with side jobs.

The deputy should not pay for the costs associated with side jobs.

The side job is nothing more than overtime to a deputy.

The side job is a special request by a business / citizen for above and beyond service from the Sheriff. The side job should be funded by the business / citizen requesting such a service. All costs. Deputy / Vehicle / Intangibles.

Thus, the Sheriff should make sure the amount charged covers all that... the deputy is just working overtime and thus should get paid for overtime and not have to worry about deducting costs.

04-16-2008, 02:34 PM
But then you couldn't get the businesses to donate to the re-election fund! $19 hr/ what a deal.

04-16-2008, 02:37 PM

The side job is a special request by a business / citizen for above and beyond service from the Sheriff. The side job should be funded by the business / citizen requesting such a service. All costs. Deputy / Vehicle / Intangibles.

Thus, the Sheriff should make sure the amount charged covers all that... the deputy is just working overtime and thus should get paid for overtime and not have to worry about deducting costs.

I Agree.
This process is followed in many of the more progressive areas. It also contributes to an officers retirement package so that retirement can come sooner which in turn opens the ranks for newer, younger officers.

04-17-2008, 01:11 AM

I Agree.
This process is followed in many of the more progressive areas. It also contributes to an officers retirement package so that retirement can come sooner which in turn opens the ranks for newer, younger officers.

Absolutely agree.

04-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Just raise the pay to a level that will support a family and the deputies will not have to work off-duty to make ends meet. I know I'd rather be off when I'm off.

04-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Just raise the pay to a level that will support a family and the deputies will not have to work off-duty to make ends meet. I know I'd rather be off when I'm off.

True. Better to be at home with the family. First, fair pay. Second, fair side job overtime pay (if you want to work them).

What candidate will promise that and actually have a plan that will work?

04-18-2008, 02:20 AM

True. Better to be at home with the family. First, fair pay. Second, fair side job overtime pay (if you want to work them).

What candidate will promise that and actually have a plan that will work?

The question is “how much would it take to be considered “fair pay”. We know there are Captains who have salaries of over $80,000 a year who still work part time so they can make even more money. There are Lieutenants and Sergeants who have salaries of $70,000 to $80,000 a year who still moonlight for extra cash. There are deputies with no rank who only have a few years on the job who have annual salaries of over $40,000 a year and who moonlight to pick up a few extra thousand every year. The real truth is regardless how much is paid or how high the salary gets, there will always be some who will want more.

So the question remains, “How much would be considered “fair pay” considering the economic considerations of the area (housing costs, etc.), and considering the benefits that go with the job ; “25 year retirement at 75% of salary, paid vacation and sick time off, free travel expenses to and from work via furnished vehicle, etc. etc. etc. ”

Also it must be taken into consideration that all that is required to be hired is to possess a High School diploma. You don’t even have to be able to write a decent paragraph. Call takers will take your verbal report and transcribe it into a readable, spelling error free report.

Once the amount is determined of what a “fair salary” should be, should the department then end all moon-light gigs so that officers are always well rested and have plenty of time to relax with their families not to mention the saving to the taxpayers in gas and maintenance cost to the vehicles because of moon lighting. Don’t respond by giving me the old argument about how much is saved by all the back ups that moonlighting officer do. We all know there are few times when a moonlight gig is involved in a back up situation. It almost has to be a Sig. 36 or worse before most will leave an off duty post.

What is the salary of Federal Officer (FBI, Customs, DEA, etc), who are not allowed to moon-light as rent a cops during their off duty hours?

If the local salaries are raised to come close to matching the Federals salaries if theirs are considered a “fair salary”, there would be changes that many wouldn’t like such as no more moon lighting that allows them to make up to and more than $100,000 a year, a mandatory retirement age that wouldn’t let them hang around after they turn a certain age, no “DROP” bonanza that gives a retiring officer several hundred thousand dollars of retirement cash. And it would end to all gratuities and free-bees on the job such as half price meals and free coffee.

We are making a “fair salary’. It may not be a rich mans salary and it may not compare to the salary paid to Federal officers, or to officers in California of New York or Miami but we are not Federal Officers or in California, New York or Miami. We are also not required to have the same qualifications such as a college degree. Any local law enforcement officer who is on the job because he expects to get rich, is living in a dream world and will have a better chance of a big pay day by buying a lottery ticket every week.

If you don’t think you now have a “fair pay” job, turn in your notice and find a job anywhere in Escambia County making more that includes the same benefits and when you find it, let us all know so we can join you. I’ve looked and there are none so I’ve come to the conclusion that what salary I do make is a “fair salary” and it deserves that I give the best services I know how. You should too and quit wanting to get rich on a not get rich job and quit hoping that every politician who comes along is going to make you rich. It won’t happen. McNesby promised it 8 years ago and he couldn’t deliver and now it’s being promised again and it won’t happen again.

04-18-2008, 02:27 AM
all this jibber jabber about Deputies making extra side money..and the public and private business benefits from it.. leave us Deputies alone, let us earn extra cash, you go back into your little perfect word.. dont worry, pick up the phone and call 911, we'll be there...

04-18-2008, 05:27 AM
"There are deputies with no rank who only have a few years on the job who have annual salaries of over $40,000 a year and who moonlight to pick up a few extra thousand every year"

You lost your credibility with that statement. Look up officers that have been on the job for 7-8 years. They are not even being paid 35k. Then look up an officer that has been working here 2 years. There is about a $1500 a year difference.

On top of that, I don't think its right for LEO's to put their lives on the line every day, deal with what we deal with, see what we see and have to live pay check to pay check. People with your attitude apparently think we should be living in the same neighborhoods as the people we put in jail everday. If I lived off 35k a year i would have to live in some sh*t neighborhood and raise a family among the same people i put in jail. Its not gonna happen.

Also I hear all the time, live within your means. Are you telling us that we should not be able to take our kids on vacations, have decent cars, and have hobbies such as jet skis, boats, hunting clubs, etc???

Gas is now $3.40 a gallon, everything is going up, including homeowners ins and groceries, these are the necessities and I find myself counting pennies at the grocery store.. Should cops have to live this way?

04-18-2008, 05:35 AM
The guy up there bashing cops sounds like tjeffers.......

04-18-2008, 10:29 AM
The question is “how much would it take to be considered “fair pay”. We know there are Captains yada yada yada....

Ah, yeah, ok. This is LEO Affairs for the ECSO. We were having a discussion. You need to move along.

Try posting on "www.LongAssNovelWritersAffairs.com"

05-05-2008, 02:07 AM
What pay is fair pay for someone that could very well be shot/killed when he walks out the door.

LEO's get paid not for what they do..... but for what they may have to do.

Have a good day/night and be careful.