PDA

View Full Version : Slaying Victim's Family Pushes 911 Bill

04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
http://www.theledger.com/article/200804 ... 90414/1374 (http://www.theledger.com/article/20080409/NEWS/804090414/1374)

What do you all think of the proposed mandatory training standards? Our dept. follows APCO standards - and I think we have a pretty good training program.

---------------------------------------------

Slaying Victim's Family Pushes 911 Bill
Father, widower urge mandatory state standards for dispatcher training.

By CAROL E. LEE
NYT REGIONAL MEDIA GROUP

TALLAHASSEE | Charlotte County sheriff's Sgt. Rick Goff is convinced that a poorly handled 911 call by his own department cost his daughter her life.

Now, he is pushing for a state law that might prevent such a mistake from happening again.

Goff and Nathan Lee, his son-in-law, were in the Capitol on Tuesday to advocate for a bill that would establish state standards for the training and certification of 911 emergency dispatchers. Goff broke down in tears during the House committee meeting Tuesday morning when he introduced himself as "the father of Denise Amber Lee."

"She's my daughter who was kidnapped, raped and murdered from her house in North Port, where her two children were at home," Goff said.

The committee passed the bill unanimously.

"This is an important bill that will save lives," said its sponsor, Rep. Carl Domino, R-Juno Beach. Domino first filed the legislation last year at the urging of emergency first responders.

Nathan Lee and Goff, as well as some lawmakers, want it to go further - to require every 911 dispatcher in Florida's 67 counties to have the same training.

As the bill is now written, the state training standards and certification would not be mandatory. Instead, the Department of Health would create criteria that counties would have the option of using.

Domino pointed out that 28 of the 31 states that have uniform standards for training 911 dispatchers make them mandatory. But the cost of making them mandatory kept his bill from advancing last year. Now the state has even less money.

"Because of our poor budget year, we're not going to make it mandatory," said Sen. Dave Aronberg, a Democrat whose district includes part of Charlotte County. "Hopefully everyone will voluntarily subscribe to these standards."

Goff agreed to testify on behalf of the legislation after learning about it from another lawmaker a few weeks ago.

He and his son-in-law will return to Tallahassee next week when a committee takes up the Senate version of the bill, which Aronberg is sponsoring.

"There were mistakes made, and that's what we're trying to correct," Goff said.

In an e-mail message to Domino supporting the legislation, Goff wrote, "It is the family as well as the whole community's opinion that if this call would have been handled correctly, that my daughter would still be alive and home with her family."

During his testimony Tuesday, Goff told how his 21-year-old daughter, after being abducted on the afternoon of Jan. 17, managed to get the attention of a woman at a stoplight by screaming and banging on the back window of the suspect's Chevrolet Camaro.

The driver called Charlotte County's 911. But that call was never relayed to the squads of police who were just blocks away, looking for Goff's missing daughter.

"She was found later buried in a shallow grave, shot in the head," Goff told the panel of legislators, his voice cracking in the starkly silent room. "We had cars on the road waiting to apprehend the guy right where she was at, but they never dispatched the car. On behalf of my daughter, I'd like this bill passed."

Suspect Michael King, 36, pleaded not guilty last month to charges that he kidnapped, raped and murdered Denise Lee.

Charlotte County currently trains its 911 dispatchers using an "in-house" program based on recommendations from the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials, said Capt. Sherman Robinson, the logistics commander who handles 911 dispatch.

It takes about six to eight months to complete.

Several lawmakers agreed with Lee's family and voiced support for making statewide standards mandatory.

Goff and Nathan Lee both said Tuesday that they want an apology from Charlotte County Sheriff John Davenport.

They also want stiffer penalties for the two dispatchers who handled the call they think could have saved Denise Lee's life.

04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Those two dispatchers should def be fired....they cost that girl her life!!!

04-10-2008, 02:35 AM
If anyone wants to listen to the actual 911 call go to http://www.heraldtribune.com. It will make you sick just listening to it. The call taker is one of four people who did not do their jobs that day. The other two are the radio operators and the fourth would be the supervisor. They all received a mere slap on the wrist, a couple days off and remedial training. Big deal. Talk about adding insult to injury to the family of the young woman. I don't see how they would have the nerve to show their faces back at work after that. Why they all weren't fired is a mystery to all of us. I just hope that everyone doesn't compare the rest of the dispatchers to the four that screwed up because that would not be fair to the good dispatchers who do their job right the first time.

04-10-2008, 11:34 AM
They are not mandatory, they are voluntary. It is a start to recognize our work as a profession.

04-10-2008, 04:48 PM
The supervisor that was on duty during that time is their training supervisor. It just amazes me that they let them keep their position and let the supervisor still be in charge of training.

04-11-2008, 12:11 AM
WHY AND HOW IN THE WORLD DID THEY KEEP THEIR JOBS? FIRE THOSE B'S!!

04-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I believe that dispatchers and call takers should attend an academy just as the officers, the academy could have standards in which you have to
pass. The dispatchers and call takers then could apply to departments with a certification, and department could send their trainees to be certified. It's easier to train someone who has the basics than someone who perceves this job as something that was seen on tv.

A lot of applicants watch TV shows which only show the dispatcher or call taker saving a life,birthing a baby etc. What they don't hear is the screaming on the phones for help or the yelling for assistance on the radio. This is when the job goes from 0 to 60 in a New York minute and you have to dig your heels in, put on your big girl pants and handle it.

I know some departments have 10 codes and Dade County has the Q codes. By the time the trainee leaves the academy they would at least know the basics of handling a hot call. The instructors could critique and assess them. This job IS NOT for everyone. The instructors could be
retired dispatchers or training coordinators who have lived through the wars.

When I first started this job I came from the telephone company, where
customer service and they way you answered the phone was number one.

Remember above all THIS IS A PROFESSION whether some people want to reconize it or not. Do your job well and be proud of what you do and when someone asks what you do tell them "I AM A DISPATCHER".

All women are equal, but the finest become dispatchers!!!

04-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Remember above all THIS IS A PROFESSION whether some people want to reconize it or not. Do your job well and be proud of what you do and when someone asks what you do tell them "I AM A DISPATCHER".

All women are equal, but the finest become Dispatchers

Maybe if you all would stop telling everyone how great you are, and start acting the part, you wouldnt have such a crappy rep. Put down the Doritios and pay attention!!

04-12-2008, 05:30 PM
to the last responder if you are a po, how about you putting down the donut and answer the radio.

04-13-2008, 01:50 AM
to the last responder if you are a po, how about you putting down the donut and answer the radio.

I'm assuming a PO means a Police Officer. Well, no I'm not. I am just a very aware bystander who knows that both the Dispatching an PO jobs attract alot of rejects who want that job because they have an ego problem. If that was not the case, you would not be promoting yourselves like you do!! Concentrate more on doing your job very well, especially for those you serve, instead of telling everyone what hero's you are. You might get alot more respect if you did. And why are most dispatchers fat and ugly? Just wondering..

04-13-2008, 04:54 AM
FYI bystander, I did this job for 25 yrs and I am neither fat or ugly and by the way I don't have an ego, just proud of the job I did.

And I doubt very seriously that you could do this job.

Oh by the way I retired with a very nice pension for the rest of my life.

So don't Hate.

What these two dispachers did was dispicable and should have been terminated.

04-13-2008, 05:47 AM
FYI bystander, I did this job for 25 yrs and I am neither fat or ugly and by the way I don't have an ego, just proud of the job I did.

So don't Hate.

What these two dispachers did was dispicable and should have been terminated.

no124u, are you Kathy Alvarez from Hialeah Police?

04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Nope..from the beach

04-16-2008, 12:26 AM

The fact that you responded this way proves his point!! The poster hurt your ego with his point so you responded....DUH!!

And by the way..a monkey could do that job if your trained him. Heck, most of you can't do it, and you've been trained!!

Take your pension and buy some more Doritos!!!

04-16-2008, 02:49 AM
My ego isn't hurt..never had one. If you think a monkey can do this job
by all means train one. By the way I don't eat Dorito's.

05-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Charlotte County dispatch is a disgrace, looks & smells like a cover your ass situation and pass the buck. It makes all of us true professional look bad in Florida. There is a Fed investigation in progress, and a national news show looking to do a story & coverage--sit back & watch the fall out to come. What a tragedy.

06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
this post is for 'LOLLY' I am actually appalled at your complete ignorance. If you are an aware bystander, which you claimed to be, then i suggest you put down your police scanner and take a tour of your 911 center and listen to the calls we take and how we handle people's lives EVERYDAY. This post was originnaly to show what happens when people are not trained properly and who do not do their job. What happened to that girl was terrible. You, of course took it upon yourself to make fun of the people who have, will or might save your life one day. That is completly disrespectful to her and her family. Take some advice from an EDUCATED bystander and grow up.