PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte County merging with City Police department.

04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Port Charlotte, FL (sun herald) – People living in the city of Punta Gorda will decide if their Police Department should merge with the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.

There will be a public referendum in June. If approved, the Sheriff’s office would take over patrol duties and the approximately 45 full-time Punta Gorda Police Officers would become Sheriff’s Deputies.

A public hearing on proposed merger has been scheduled for April 7 at 7:30pm, at the Town Hall.

City manager Howard Kunik initiated the plan and presented it to Sheriff John Davenport and County administrator Bruce Loucks. The three announced the proposal Monday afternoon.

Most of the full-time officers who get moved to the county would make about the same in pay, but they're working on a plan to even out the differences in pay.

The police coverage of the town will not change under the plan. Taxes will go down for Punta Gorda residents and the rest of county would see no change.

City Manager Kunik says if the merger goes through effective in June or July, Clay residents will save the following on their 2009 Property Tax Bills:

House Assessed at $112,000
- Property Taxes go from $251 to $201 ($50 savings)

House Assessed at $202,000
- Property Taxes go from $453 to $362 ($90 savings)

The reduction is the product of money that would be saved in the second half of 2008 and all of 2009.

The city and county would like the five-year deal to be worked out by July 1st, if it is approved by voters.
(Staff writer)

April Fools!!!

04-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Haaa same page on the PG page. At least PG responded.

04-02-2008, 10:13 PM
The only fool is the idiot who fabricated that Clay County article. Not a chance greenie

betterinblue
04-03-2008, 02:24 AM
ha ha that's funny.

04-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Port Charlotte, FL (sun herald) – People living in the city of Punta Gorda will decide if their Police Department should merge with the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.

There will be a public referendum in June. If approved, the Sheriff’s office would take over patrol duties and the approximately 45 full-time Punta Gorda Police Officers would become Sheriff’s Deputies.

A public hearing on proposed merger has been scheduled for April 7 at 7:30pm, at the Town Hall.

City manager Howard Kunik initiated the plan and presented it to Sheriff John Davenport and County administrator Bruce Loucks. The three announced the proposal Monday afternoon.

Most of the full-time officers who get moved to the county would make about the same in pay, but they're working on a plan to even out the differences in pay.

The police coverage of the town will not change under the plan. Taxes will go down for Punta Gorda residents and the rest of county would see no change.

City Manager Kunik says if the merger goes through effective in June or July, Clay residents will save the following on their 2009 Property Tax Bills:

House Assessed at $112,000
- Property Taxes go from $251 to $201 ($50 savings)

House Assessed at $202,000
- Property Taxes go from $453 to $362 ($90 savings)

The reduction is the product of money that would be saved in the second half of 2008 and all of 2009.

The city and county would like the five-year deal to be worked out by July 1st, if it is approved by voters.
(Staff writer)

April Fools!!!

Who in the hell is the dumb goober who wrote this

04-09-2008, 11:29 PM
"o" come on. i am sure the preson who wrote that wrote it in good fun, and i like working with the city i think it would be kind of cool if it was true but i don't think the city guys would like it to much. in the end it is most likely best we stay county and they stay city but it is kind of a cool thought.

04-14-2008, 10:24 AM
It was an April fools joke, fool. Relax and have some fun :roll:

04-14-2008, 04:29 PM
I thought it was extremely comical. I know those city kitties were laughing though.

04-14-2008, 11:21 PM
"o" come on. i am sure the preson who wrote that wrote it in good fun, and i like working with the city i think it would be kind of cool if it was true but i don't think the city guys would like it to much. in the end it is most likely best we stay county and they stay city but it is kind of a cool thought.

o come on my azz. Nothing cool about that thought.