PDA

View Full Version : FMROC

03-30-2008, 04:33 PM
March 29, 2008

FDLE agent resigns after pat down

By Dave Breitenstein
dbreitenstein@news-press.com

The No. 2 administrator in FDLE's local office has resigned after an internal investigation ruled he sexually harassed a staff assistant by frisking her in the supply room.

Steve Emerson, 50, quit his post Friday as assistant special agent in charge of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's Fort Myers Regional Operations Center.

"His resignation followed an internal investigation, and his resignation was effective immediately," said FDLE state spokeswoman Heather Smith.

According to reports released Saturday to The News-Press, Emerson spotted a female assistant in the supply room on March 13, jokingly asked if she was stealing supplies, then conducted a mock pat down. Emerson said it was from the knee down; the assistant said the pat down covered her from the waist down, including her buttocks and inner thighs.

"It can be determined that ASAC Emerson touched a subordinate female member and this inappropriate touching of a sexual nature was unwelcomed," the report concluded.

Smith said Emerson's actions violated FDLE's workplace discrimination and harassment policy, as well as a policy about employee behavior.

03-30-2008, 06:08 PM
I met Steve Emerson, and I can't believe he was that stupid? I guess you just never know who thinks with their smaller brain...

03-30-2008, 09:14 PM
I met Steve Emerson, and I can't believe he was that stupid? I guess you just never know who thinks with their smaller brain...

You met Emerson? Did you talk to him?

03-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Yea, When I went thur the academy he taught self defense. He was ah kinda of a nut job about the redman stuff, I just thought he was having want ah be patrol officer's issues from Tall. P.D.

04-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I have known Steve for over 14 years. You can't believe everything you hear in the newspaper. This girl that is claiming this, did the same thing with management at her past employment. What does that tell you????
His position will be very hard to fill.

04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Super...I suggest you read a copy of the EI report....it was posted online at WINK news....He admitted to it! Some people will try to downgrade this but here's a news flash for you pal....Don't put your hands on women...Period! This would've been my wife....would've had a little chat with him in the parking lot.

04-03-2008, 12:24 AM
http://www.winknews.com/news/top/17132046.html

link to report is below pic

04-03-2008, 08:39 PM
IS THE CHICK HOT? PICS?

04-03-2008, 10:37 PM
IS THE CHICK HOT? PICS?

YOU ARE A LOSER....pic is of him anyway

04-04-2008, 04:28 PM
IS THE CHICK HOT? PICS?

YOU ARE A LOSER....pic is of him anyway

Don't be mad that I like women and you like men.

04-04-2008, 06:50 PM
I've known Steve for over 15 years and know him to be a man of integrity. FDLE has lost a great investigator and manager. I guess Andy is pleased with himself. If I worked in Ft.Myers I sure wouldn't turn my back on him. I used to think he'd work out, guess I was badly mistaken.

As for the guest who might want to meet Steve in the parking lot, you'd better be pretty good or you're in for a real surprise.

Hopefully Steve will come out of this with a better job and make Andy and crew look like the fools they are.

04-05-2008, 12:40 AM
It is irrelevant whether the "chick" was hot and Steve is a top notch investigator - the law is clear - sexual harassment occurred if you look at the facts and the definition of sexual harassment. Unwelcome touching (ESPECIALLY) from such a high level individual is unconscionable.

That assistant did NOTHING to deserve such (admitted!) action by him. She was minding her own business, doing her JOB, and some of you just want to crucify her for it. I'm embarassed for you. You obviously don't realize that in this day and age, it is INAPPROPRIATE to TOUCH someone in a working environment.

What I don't understand is that (some) law enforcement representatives seem to not want to uphold the law (even if it is broken by one of its own). How do you reconcile that? This woman could be your sister, niece, wife, etc.

I feel for the guy's family because they have to suffer the consequences of his actions, but the assistant did nothing wrong - HE did. He made the conscious choice to behave in that manner.

04-06-2008, 10:55 PM
"As for the guest who might want to meet Steve in the parking lot, you'd better be pretty good or you're in for a real surprise"

Ok...that's your opinion...but I would hope any man would defend his wife's honor if something like this ever happens....I would, no matter who the offender is!! And remember...it's the quiet dog in the yard you need to worry about...not the one always boasting about what they can do...

04-08-2008, 07:02 PM
In regards to just another guest, she never minds her own business. The assistant is a big flirt with everyone. She always has an attitude. This attitude will bite her in the ass. Every dog has there day.

04-10-2008, 01:37 AM
GOOD JOB AGENTS :shock:

04-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Boy, you all sure are quick to throw one of your own to the wolves. Emerson made a mistake. Fine. The punishment didn't fit the crime and the years of service.

My only consolation is that I know most of FDLE's finest aren't this fair weather.

04-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Is it true that the Internal Affairs supervisor that managed the firing of Steve Emerson is vying for the position.

In my agency that would be considered a conflict of interest. Also, we never would have fired anyone within one week of a complaint being filed.

Has anyone looked into the complainant's background of filing these types of complaints?

04-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Which one? They have like a dozen supervisors in EI, plus lead workers, team leaders, and all kinds of nice little salary bump positions that we don't get in the field.

04-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Concerned…the people who decided on Steve's fate was the SAC and the Commissioner, not IA. Let's not forget that Steve was the one who "managed" to touch, oh sorry, pat down a female employee as a "joke." I read the report posted on-line and couldn’t believe anyone in his position would think that was an acceptable action.

And Guest…EI has LIKE a dozen supervisors. Check out the org chart before you LIKE ASSume you know what you’re talking about. Besides if you want a bump in pay for being an Inspector, than apply, move your family and make the sacrifices, like everyone else. If not, don't bash the folks, like myself who took great pride in upholding our agency's integrity.

04-15-2008, 07:14 PM
If not, don't bash the folks, like myself who took great pride in upholding our agency's integrity.

Guest...Now which integrity is (was) that?

04-16-2008, 01:28 AM
My question is what happened to demotions and other punishments? When you tell someone to quit, or be fired is total crap! This will bite someone in the butt down the road!

04-16-2008, 03:33 AM
What 232, if I felt your wife or daughter up, would you think it proper for me to keep my job or just be demoted? What's crap is your logic.

04-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Super...I suggest you read a copy of the EI report....it was posted online at WINK news....He admitted to it! Some people will try to downgrade this but here's a news flash for you pal....Don't put your hands on women...Period! This would've been my wife....would've had a little chat with him in the parking lot.

Sounds to me like the wise monkey doctrine was violated. What, you may ask is the wise monkey doctrine?

A wise monkey is a monkey
that doesn't monkey with
another monkey's monkey.