PDA

View Full Version : State Employee Reality Check

03-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Tallahassee- Eight years ago Kevin Haywood needed surgery for a dislocated spine after being choked unconscious by an imate at the state hospital where he works. He's still being tested for HIV and hepatitis after being bitten on his upper arm by another imate a year ago.
His pay for dealing with dangerous imates: $24,000 a year. "A lot of fsmilies, husbands and wives, put their paychecks together to make ends meet". said Haywood, who protects doctors and other professional staff at the state hospital in Chattahoochee.
Haywood,47, is among thousands of low paid state workers with dangerous jobs and has little hope of a raise this year. That's in a state that spends less per capita on it's work force than any other, according to a recent study by the Pew Center on the States and Governing.
"Over the past 10 years we have fallen father and father behind, "said Doug Martin, legislative and communications director for the Florida branc of State, County and Municipal Employees. "Now when the buget turns down the public servents are the ones who have to suffer".
Although Pew gave the state a B-minus overall for its across-the-board governing performance in a recent analysis, it was dead last in the investment made in state employees.
"A travestesy," responded state Rep. Lorranne Ausley, who blames much of that poor ranking on former Gov. Jeb Bush. "All they didi was take away all the protections for state employees. There were two years during the Bush administration where they got no raises at all."
Ausley, a Tallahassee Democrat, cotents that pay and benifits improvements for state workers should be law makers top priority and not the last. But with lawmakers now slashing the budget with the economy in tatters, the outlook isn't a lot brighter.
Elva McCaig of Milton has been a licensed practial nurse for more than eight years at a Panhandle prison where she earns less than $30,000 annually and must use vacation time and spend her own money to maitain her professional credentials.

03-27-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm not worried, I knew what the pay was when I took this job. However, it offers me the chance to do more things then a typical road patrol job. So until then, life is good at AB&T and I love my job. :P

03-27-2008, 11:29 PM
I knew what the pay was too. I was also told I would get 3% every July 1st and 5% on every anniversary date. Go figure. Based on my calculations (not adjusted for inflation) I should be making 3,127.45 bi-weekly....

03-28-2008, 12:12 AM
I'm not worried, I knew what the pay was when I took this job. However, it offers me the chance to do more things then a typical road patrol job. So until then, life is good at AB&T and I love my job. :P

Yeah, go to Lowes and Home Depot!

03-28-2008, 02:10 AM

Try working working at a low paid PD, long hours, days off cancelled, $22,500. Thats 10 hours actually worked a day. Not the average of 3 hours actually worked by a lot of ABT agents daily. Also, your Holidays are cancelled, no little trips to Lowes or the Depot, the bank, the post office, your kid's doctor's appointment. Oh, those little 1 1/2 to 2 hour lunches? Try 30 minutes, no more, most likely less when dispatch breaks you away for a wreck where you may be standing your ass in the rain!

Get a grip folks. Corrections, FHP, FWC??? Absolutely under paid. ABT agents? They should actually pay the state for the job MOST of them do.

This e-mail is not aimed at ALL agents because SOME are hard workers. This is for those worthless little oxygen thieves who think management owes them something. You know who they are. The same slugs each month who come up with 350 half ass inspections and nothing else. The same ones who cry rape and murder when their supervisor actually assigns them a complaint. "I'm senior agent, don't give it to me or I'll file a grievance."

Same ones who probably couldn't cut it working the road and would be better off shaking door handles for Wackenhut or at the Capitol.

03-28-2008, 08:00 PM

No dumb ass, recitals and footbal games with the kids.

03-28-2008, 09:26 PM
I knew what the pay was too. I was also told I would get 3% every July 1st and 5% on every anniversary date. Go figure. Based on my calculations (not adjusted for inflation) I should be making 3,127.45 bi-weekly....

And you actually believed this....lol....roflmao!!! I hope you're just being a smart ass, cause if you bought that line....I got some beach front property in Arizona I wanna sell quick! State LEO's haven't had a step plan in more than a decade....

03-28-2008, 11:54 PM

And you actually believed this....lol....roflmao!!! I hope you're just being a smart ass, cause if you bought that line....I got some beach front property in Arizona I wanna sell quick! State LEO's haven't had a step plan in more than a decade....

I did get the 3 and 5 for a few years, so I had every reason to believe what I was told. All was good in the yearly years, then...well you know what happened. Dumb asses like you came on board, lowered the standards, and state law enforcement went out to the lowest bidder.

03-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Really....what years were those??? Been around for awhile myself and didn't see anything steady like that....unless you were saddled up next to the director....

03-29-2008, 01:03 PM

I want my mommy!