PDA

View Full Version : Patrol

03-17-2008, 02:16 PM
I've read the post on possible budget cuts and what was not written is that Patrol is the police department. Every other position is in support of what patrol does. All priority should go toward patrol. It should be the last section of our agency that is affected by budget cuts.

Changes will have to be made. There is no question about that. But the cuts should come from other areas.

1. Special Ops...Why are we running 10-99 to calls while listening to traffic cars pull 10-50's. Our priority should be calls for services. Special Ops should be broken up and the officers put on patrol to relieve some of the work load.

2. Training...One officer should be enough

3. Crime Prevention...disband

4. Youth Services...One officer should be enough

5. Capt's...We do not need 3. Someone needs to go to patrol.

6. Lt's, Cpl's...It now takes a Lt., two sgt's, and two Cpl's to do what one Sgt used to do? Were the old sgt's that good, or are the Lt's and Cpl's that bad?

7. Victim Advocate...When was the last time we actually called her out to a crime scene? Two or three times a year? We would do better to contract out with the S.O.

8. Why can comm ctr be run by a non officer but records must have a sgt? Would an officer not be of better use assisting on patrol.

I'm sure everyone in these positions will jump on here to say how important their jobs are, but as we're struggeling to keep pace with the increase of calls, with less manpower as now everyone is a supervisor, and as long as we're answering calls that have held for hours because no one was avialble to take them, I must say, I don't share your view.

03-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Opinions are fine but don't quote wrong statistics. I don't know why so many ( or probably just one person) is so against the victim advocate. I have personally called the victim advocate multiple times in the past year for advice or assistance, and almost everytime she has responded and has been a great help.

Why are you sniping so hard? I've been here for a while and it was busy on patrol when I started and I'm sure it will be busy when I leave. That is the nature of the business.

Oh, thanks for posting almost the same exact thing Sal the account posted on the similiar topic. Very original ideas, you and Al Gore should get together and brainstorm.

03-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey Sal,

You forgot to say "outsourcing", :wink:

03-18-2008, 01:41 AM
What do you guys care about the VA? We never see or hear from her anywho. There are better concerns anyway. Like when are they going to change the snack variety in the breakroom. We want cheetos! We want cheetos!

But on a serious note, victim advocates play an important role in the agency.

03-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Trim the fat. Many items need to be looked at. Can we save money by contracting other services out besides crime scene. Two places were we as an agency can save money.

Records, many other agencies contract with the Sheriff's Office. This may actually work out better for communication between agencies possibly working the same case.

Communications, why pay for a service we can contract out. We could save a vast amount of money and possibly have fewer issues.

Just some thoughts, snipe away!!!!

03-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Why not just contract the whole department then? I mean if other agencies are doing it it must be a good idea then right?

No sniping, you made a point. I mean don't get me wrong, I disagree with you but I appreciate you not throwing insults at anybody we work with.

My two cents. If you are going to have a police department, then have a police department and do what is necessary to operate the agency the way it needs to be run. Have the units and personnel you need to be successful. There is no doubt that the taxpayers have thrown us for a loop, however, if we stay together, we will get past this with our records folks and our dispatchers.

Hang tight everyone, its bad everywhere right now. Look at the S.O. board if you want to feel better.

03-21-2008, 03:06 AM
Dear Think Outside the box.

That's exactly what Clearwater PD is doing. They are using the SO's records system. Isn't the SO already doing your Property and Evidence? I think the SO does 10 or 11 agencies Property and 8 or 9 records. Even the State Attorney's Office Investigators use their system.

It would pretty cool to put in a name on a report and find out that Clearwater has a case on him also.

03-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Very true. But then again MIS would not been in control.

03-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Actually, I think it was mutual. I don't think it was just Clearwater using the SO's stuff, the SO I think is sharing using some type of system that Clearwater either had or bought.

Sorry, my info is limited. I will see if I can get the scoop from my Clearwater pal.

03-22-2008, 12:29 AM
They both bought a new CAD system that is supposed to share information i.e. if a Clwtr cruiser is closer than an SO to a call.

All the reports are done in the SO's ACISS. At some time Clearwater's old records system will be merged into the SO's system.

03-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Yes, that is what I heard. That is good use of taxpayer money. That is way it should be countywide.

Individual departments but the closest unit responds. FD does something similair now.

Thanks for the clarification.