PDA

View Full Version : PRESS RELEASE-Miami-Dade Schools Police Lodge #133

03-17-2008, 02:23 AM
March 11, 2008

As reported recently in the media, officers of Miami Dade Public Schools Police Department voted Saturday, March 8th to hold an official department wide vote of No Confidence in Chief of Police, Gerald Darling. Frustration over contract issues, the mishandling of high profile cases such as the Northwestern fiasco and lack of officer support, both during and after the recent incident at Edison Senior High resulted in approximately 75% of members voting at Saturday’s meeting, deciding in favor of the moving forward with a “Vote of No Confidence”.

Pay continues to be a source of discontentment for our officers. As pointed out by the media in September of 2006, the City of Miami was 36th out of 42 agencies in South Florida with starting officers being paid approximately $37,775.00. Two years later, our starting officers are still being paid $35,838.00 – well below surrounding agencies. This has made it extremely difficult for our department to retain qualified officers to ensure the safety of the children of Miami Dade County Public Schools.

Chief Gerald Darling is considered to be an absentee Chief who does not have any direct communications with the officers of the Department. He has not represented them before the media or the School Board with issues of salaries, overtime, critical incidents, under staffing, etc..

Superintendent Rudy Crew’s statement to NBC6 posted on March 8, 2008, “Chief Gerald Darling’s leadership has brought positive change for Miami-Dade County Public Schools Students”, further indicates to us he is more of a school administrator then the Chief of Police. The reduction in crime and student arrest is a direct reflection on the officers of the department, not the Chief.

Although lower crime and arrest rates led to assurances by Chief Darling that negotiations would go smoothly for officers, we were disturbed to hear that the School Board was prepared to offer only 2.6% or a total of $344,000.00 due to budget constraints while at the same time approving $1.4 million in administrative bonuses this year and earmarking an additional $1.4 million in bonuses for the 2008-2009 school year.

Parents can be assured that the scaling back of our police force will indeed have an impact on the safety of our schools. Our officers are uniquely equipped to deal with juveniles and have extensive training in school crisis situations which make them invaluable assets to our school system.

Howard Giraldo-President

03-17-2008, 04:29 AM
We have a chief? Funny...he has never walked into my station before. Has he walked into any station? Does he know where the stations are?

$170,000 a year!

Must be nice!

03-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Yo,what up with the vote? Letters dont cut it,lets vote already!

03-17-2008, 09:19 PM
YOU GUYS BETTER FIND YOURSELF JOBS NOW, WE WILL BE VOTING IN NOV. TO GET RID OF SCHOOL TAXES. IT WILL PASS, THEY WILL RAISE THE TAX BY ON PENNY, BUT WONT BE ENOUGH, GET YOURSELF READY !

03-17-2008, 11:16 PM
EXCELLENT POST BY GIRALDO, MUCH RESPECT TO HIM. NOW WHERE ARE THE REST OF YOUR WHINING OFFICERS WHEN YOU NEED THEM. GUYS THIS IS A DEPT PROBLEM STEP UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP AND LET YOUR CONCERNS BE HEARD.

03-18-2008, 01:31 AM
Word Up

03-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Whatcha mean spin?

03-18-2008, 02:09 AM
What I mean is that Guest0939 is right. Let us not loose focus on the cancer, ohps, I'm sorry, I mean the real problem is Chief Darling. Kudos, to Devil Dog Howard, for coming back and staying away from the light (the other side) Howard stay focus on the problems, because we have several of them. We need to unite, not divide as some individual are playing the race card. It is not about race, it is about working conditions (uniforms, etc.,), pay increase, respect and dignity to move forward and not be afraid to make changes.

Step up Chief, don't keep pawning stuff over to the County and City, and not having confidence in your troops. You, Chief, need to fight for us and not let them walk all over us. For those of you playing the race card, the buck starts and finishes with the Chief, he makes the call, and the problem is he does not make the call. He goes with the FLOW, just like he retire with the City, by going with the FLOW.

Unless you are the few who have personal reasons for wanting to keep him here. Face it, he is DONE.

Howard you have my respect and my backing, the Spin Doctor

PS you may wonder why I write as if the Chief reads it, well he does.

03-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Well kids we got us a new fight in our hands. Now it's not just contract negotiations and going after the chief, but we must face this new problem that conservative politicians in Tallahassee are creating for us. I'm sure the school board negotiating team is very happy since this news for them is like it fell from the sky. For them it could not have come at a better time. This new barganing chip will allow them to scare our team and bluff them with a 3% raise. However, I think that we need to use our own chips, and one of them is the fact that no matter how much funds they take from the school system, the Florida Constitution is very clear that the system must be funded period.
It will be a fight but I don't think we have many options right now. We need to vote against this lunatic tax proposal and since we all live in Florida and we all have family, friends and religious congregatios that we visit, we need to try that those around us vote against it too.
I can't tell anyone what to do but I plan to talk to people where I live so that they understand how crazy this tax plan is and hopefully they vote against it. It's not the time to wait and see what occurs, have to get active call elected politicians in our areas, send e-mails and things like that.

The first shoe has dropped.

03-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Bad Azz you right. We need to unite and stand strong during these difficult times. It is not going to be easy. We must hang in there.

03-25-2008, 04:06 AM
I think with whatever we do, the citizens in dade county and in the state will vote yes on amendment 4. Why wouldn't they? 33 percent reduction in taxes, people don't care about happens to the school system. All they care about is the extra green they will see in their pockets, plain and simple. It's a tough time out there financially and people are looking for green where ever they can find it.