PDA

View Full Version : I am mad as hell and not going to take it anymore

03-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Anybody here had the misfortune of being employeed by a tyrant? Anybody here have to seek the advice of the IAB ? I am very close to taking that walk down the hall to speak to my department's IAB officer. I need to know if there is anything I need to know. We do not have a union so I would be in there on my own. I know that I am right but I also know how the system works. I am a civilian employee and serve at the will of the city and I am worried that they will take the word of the supervisor over the word of the non-sworn employee. Has anybody been through that ? And if so what was the outcome ? Does it do anybody any good to try and fight the system ? Please I am asking for some help from those dispatchers that read this web-site that may have had a similar problem. Any advise that you can offer will help me greatly.

imqruru
03-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Before you go, just make sure you have all your ducks in a row, the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed.

03-17-2008, 08:19 PM
It sounds like a "hostile work enviroment". Unless this person is violating departmental procedures, then all you have is a nasty person. However, with a hostile work environment, you need ALL the documentation, notes, etc. to prove your claim. Is there someone above this person that you can go to? If you have, and have not gotten any results, put your claim in writing and request an investigation. Good Luck!

03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I don't know what kind of documentation that i could provide. they have been caught lying on a few occasions and passing of the blame to everybody else but themselves.

03-18-2008, 03:24 AM
I don't know what kind of documentation that i could provide. they have been caught lying on a few occasions and passing of the blame to everybody else but themselves.

Dates and times of incidents where this supervisor behaved tyranically. Names of employees who were present when this occurred. If you were the subject of this person's lies, dates, complete account of what happened, and any witnesses. Is anyone else having the same problem? If so, are they willing to step forward and join your complaint? Most Interal Affairs Divisions investigate crimes committed by their department's employees, or of an offense that can bring about termination if the charge is sustained. If you don't have these, then I'm sorry to say that you won't have any standing in an internal investigation. Bullies of the world seem to make their way just fine, unaware of the turmoil that they leave in their wake. I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time.

03-18-2008, 04:51 AM
Had you actually taken the time to sign in I could have PM'd you with what I went through on something similar. (IA, supv-AH, and results.)

One suggestion: make sure there's no "good ole boy" system in your dept.

03-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Without knowing what your actual issue is, I cannot really help you except to say this....

If you do make an official complaint, use the verbiage that the person(s) are "thwarting the team effort" by doing X. Undermining a team effort should incur the wrath! Good luck!

03-20-2008, 05:09 AM
Be sure that if you do make a complaint, ensure the Garrity Rule is invoked for your own protection (and take a silent witness with you):

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/OGC/Legal_B ... 2_6-26.PDF (http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/OGC/Legal_Bulletins/lb0002_6-26.PDF)

03-20-2008, 05:11 AM
If you work for a municipality, ensure you're covered by Civil Service protection too. Consult your city's employee relations office... anything to protect yourself during the process. Good luck!

04-06-2008, 03:12 PM
The best avenue is to seek the legal advice of a labor attorney. Don't get caught in any meetings where you are out-numbered by the supervisors; always have a witness. Keep a log of dates and times and go to the FLSA - Fair Labor Standards Act website and educate yourself.

04-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Thank you for your support the matter is now out of my hands and the powers that be are looking into the situation. I will let you know the outcome.

04-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Dont you just love the lengths at which some people will go to discredit you. Maybe they should turn around and point that all high and mighty finger at somebody else and look in the mirror to seek out the person for the blame that is causing all the vile and nasty rumors that run rampant in a dispatch center. The years and years of apathy and misery that has plaqued the department for a decade.