PDA

View Full Version : K-9

03-13-2008, 05:37 PM
On 2/29/08 I had the bittersweet opportunity to work a track with Scott and Jarco knowing that it will probably be their last job together, and Scott’s last K-9 search, for the time being. Although going back to road patrol was not what Scott wanted or expected, his determination, drive, and attitude did not sway from the task at hand; which was to locate an escaped prisoner on US 27 who had fled west into the everglades. While providing security for Scott and Jarco as we tracked the suspect through fallen trees, knee deep water and mud, thick brush, heavy melaleuca trees, and sharp saw grass blades, not to mention hundreds of mosquito’s, I was impressed with Scott’s positive attitude and 110% commitment to find the suspect, knowing that the next day would be his last in the K-9 unit. During the search, we talked a little as Scott told me of his future goals in our Department and his continued commitment to his job; whatever position he had as a police officer. The conversation was positive and never took a negative turn where people or other officers were spoken about. I have been on many “tracks or searches” with I think all of our K-9 officers and have always been proud of their unit and their accomplishments of suspect and narcotics searches. It is hard work. Scott’s commitment reassured my pride and confidence in their unit and I thought maybe it should be mentioned since there are many officers who do not get a chance to work with them. Good Job Scott and Thank You.

03-13-2008, 11:33 PM
On 2/29/08 I had the bittersweet opportunity to work a track with Scott and Jarco knowing that it will probably be their last job together, and Scott’s last K-9 search, for the time being. Although going back to road patrol was not what Scott wanted or expected, his determination, drive, and attitude did not sway from the task at hand; which was to locate an escaped prisoner on US 27 who had fled west into the everglades. While providing security for Scott and Jarco as we tracked the suspect through fallen trees, knee deep water and mud, thick brush, heavy melaleuca trees, and sharp saw grass blades, not to mention hundreds of mosquito’s, I was impressed with Scott’s positive attitude and 110% commitment to find the suspect, knowing that the next day would be his last in the K-9 unit. During the search, we talked a little as Scott told me of his future goals in our Department and his continued commitment to his job; whatever position he had as a police officer. The conversation was positive and never took a negative turn where people or other officers were spoken about. I have been on many “tracks or searches” with I think all of our K-9 officers and have always been proud of their unit and their accomplishments of suspect and narcotics searches. It is hard work. Scott’s commitment reassured my pride and confidence in their unit and I thought maybe it should be mentioned since there are many officers who do not get a chance to work with them. Good Job Scott and Thank You.

Yawn. Old news. :roll:

03-14-2008, 12:33 AM

Yawn. Old news. :roll:

It sounded like a case of serious man-love! :snicker:

03-14-2008, 11:26 AM
The whole thing was pretty stupid. The replies on e-mail even dumber.

03-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Why is "going back to road patrol" always discussed in terms that would make everyone think it is a bad thing? It's where we all started, where some have chosen to spend their whole careers, and is still the best kept secret in the whole department.

Everyone should always feel that they have a home in Patrol, regardless of what units you may have been in at certain times in your careers. Ask some of the old timers who have been unceremoniously dumped from other positions and most will agree it's the best thing that ever happened to them.

It's the elitist attitude of officers in specialized units that have ruined this department. Patrol is the backbone of this organization, everything else is just support. Remember, if the grass looks greener, it may have been fertilized with a bunch of crap!

03-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Why is "going back to road patrol" always discussed in terms that would make everyone think it is a bad thing? It's where we all started, where some have chosen to spend their whole careers, and is still the best kept secret in the whole department.

Everyone should always feel that they have a home in Patrol, regardless of what units you may have been in at certain times in your careers. Ask some of the old timers who have been unceremoniously dumped from other positions and most will agree it's the best thing that ever happened to them.

It's the elitist attitude of officers in specialized units that have ruined this department. Patrol is the backbone of this organization, everything else is just support. Remember, if the grass looks greener, it may have been fertilized with a bunch of crap!

"It's the elitist attitude of officers in specialized units that have ruined this department."
REALLY???!!! How could you possibly say that when the rest of us feel that it's the wrongfully promoted officers (who wanna look good for those ranked above him/her) that are responsible for the downfall of this agency?
I've never heard of any officer in a specialized unit sending e-mails to the higher-ups because somone was a little "heavy handed" and that their actions were "borderline criminal".
It's just sad that someone who has been trusted into a leadership position cannot be withdrawn as easy as someone in a specialized unit.
Yes, it is true that patrol is the backbone of this agency. But there is nobody on road patrol (or specialized units) that will concur with your statement.

03-15-2008, 03:21 AM
"Ask some of the old timers who have been unceremoniously dumped from other positions and most will agree it's the best thing that ever happened to them."

On the flip side of that coin, how about asking some of the new "timers" how they enjoyed being put into a specialized unit "unceremoniously"?

03-15-2008, 03:26 AM
"Remember, if the grass looks greener, it may have been fertilized with a bunch of crap!"

I must agree that S#!T does run down hill.

03-15-2008, 04:32 AM
http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip-fs.as ... playTime=0 (http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip-fs.aspx?key=5E1E72EAE53841E3&overrideCF=FullScreen&playTime=0)

03-15-2008, 06:51 AM
You can be kicked out of a specialized unit but not demoted?! What's up with that? A sergeant is responsible for his or her squad just as a person in a specialized unit is responsible for their area of control. I'd like to know exactly why it is that when promoted you're never demoted when it's needed.

Kissing up has kept some in the ranks. Hard work has gotten the rest in specialized units. I commend all those that refuse to suck up, and continuously work hard in their current positions. You may not be as erudite as the rest of the upper echelon, but you have my absolute respect.

03-15-2008, 07:18 AM
The preceding includes those that have busted their @sses to obtain their current rank. We know who you are and will always respect you. I apologize for leaving that out.

03-15-2008, 11:41 AM
"I've never heard of any officer in a specialized unit sending e-mails to the higher-ups because somone was a little "heavy handed" and that their actions were "borderline criminal".

Very Interesting. :evil: