PDA

View Full Version : Houston we have a problem

03-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Sheriff proposes deep cuts in budget
Plan includes hiring freeze, no overtime

BY CHRISTOPHER CURRY
STAR-BANNER

OCALA - Sheriff Ed Dean unveiled a plan to his advisory committee Tuesday that would cut more than $2.3 million from the current year's budget of approximately $76.6 million.

The plan includes a hiring freeze covering 45 vacancies and the elimination of overtime.

The plan also includes charging $1,200 a year to employees who take their department vehicles home. Corrections officers will lose the $1,000 disparity pay they receive because they can't take department vehicles home.

Employees who take vehicles home also will be charged 15 cents a mile if they drive the vehicles for personal uses, such as security detail at events.

"We're balancing the budget on the backs of the people who work here," Chief Deputy Towles Bigelow told the committee. "The people who work here are going to have to help balance the budget."

There are 424 department vehicles that employees may drive home, and some of the employees may elect to stop doing that instead of paying the $1,200.

Dan Kuhn, one of the agency's three chief deputies, said the take-home policy increases the visibility of law enforcement. "There's no way to put a price tag on how many crimes you may have deterred by driving your vehicle down the street home," he said.

The hiring freeze also includes 10 new deputy positions in this year's budget to cover population growth.

Dean said the cuts were a series of decisions he was "loath" to make, and it was "unheard of" for a law enforcement agency to eliminate overtime. But he said he was doing it to cooperate with the County Commission, which requested that all the constitutional officers - sheriff, tax collector, property appraiser, court clerk and elections supervisor - cut 5.3 percent of the money they receive from the general fund, and for County Administrator Pat Howard to slash more than $2 million.

Commissioners requested a $1.57 million cut from the Sheriff's Office; the other $750,000 cut will free up money to cover the costs of off-site medical treatment, such as hospital visits, for jail inmates.

Behind all the county cuts for this fiscal year is a Budget Department estimate that Marion County will get $4.9 million less than expected in state-shared revenues - mostly sales taxes.

Things are rough over at the Marion County School Board as well. Superintendent Jim Yancey said public schools will need to cut $12 million in programs next year. The district's total budget is $677 million.

Dean said that under his cuts, "nobody loses their job, no essential service is cut."

He said state law prohibits the County Commission from forcing a sheriff to cut his budget in the middle of a fiscal year, but added, "I'm not going to play that card."

"We're trying to be a good citizen, but there's a point at which as sheriff, reason can't let you go further" with cuts, Dean said. "If you emasculate the department, where would public safety go?"

And Dean likely will need the County Commission on his side this summer when he brings the board his proposed budget for the 2008-2009 fiscal year. That's when the property tax cuts from Amendment 1 take effect.

The county Budget Department estimates the Sheriff's Office will have to cut $6.6 million because of lost property tax money. The Sheriff's Office plan is to cut $3.7 million by continuing the hiring freeze ($1.8 million) and the change in the take-home vehicle policy ($508,000), forgoing the purchase of replacement vehicles ($652,150) and reducing costs for utilities and contract services such as insect control ($500,000). Already, 25 percent of the lights in all the agency's buildings, including the jail, have been shut off.

SOLICIT DONATIONS?
Dean also proposed trying to form a new nonprofit foundation that could solicit community donations to cover the $248,500 costs of the agency's various volunteer programs.

He vowed Tuesday to "dig my heels in" and fight not to cut the full $6.6 million. He said that would mean cutting every employee's pay by 6 percent or laying off 100 employees.

Should the County Commission not approve the 2008-09 budget, a dispute could head to the Florida Cabinet and Gov. Charlie Crist for resolution.

Dean noted that might not turn out well for the Sheriff's Office, because Crist championed the Amendment 1 property tax referendum that is now taking a bite out of local governments' budgets.

"Am I upset? Yeah, I'm upset. But I'm not mad at the people," Dean said. "The people spoke because they wanted an extra tax exemption on their house. Did the people want to cut deputies? No, they wanted prioritization" of government services.

The cuts also will remove three employees from the aviation unit and put them on road patrol. The aviation unit will be funded through the property taxing unit for patrol, which funds patrol for unincorporated Marion County as well as McIntosh and Red****. But Dean said helicopters will still fly over Ocala, Belleview and Dunnellon when requested.

I wonder if this half Wit Cindi is going to follow in the Sheriff's footstep??
Off-Duty might be over!!!

03-12-2008, 11:41 PM

BY CHRISTOPHER CURRY
STAR-BANNER

OCALA - Sheriff Ed Dean unveiled a plan to his advisory committee Tuesday that would cut more than $2.3 million from the current year's budget of approximately $76.6 million.

The plan includes a hiring freeze covering 45 vacancies and the elimination of overtime.

The plan also includes charging $1,200 a year to employees who take their department vehicles home. Corrections officers will lose the $1,000 disparity pay they receive because they can't take department vehicles home.

Employees who take vehicles home also will be charged 15 cents a mile if they drive the vehicles for personal uses, such as security detail at events.

"We're balancing the budget on the backs of the people who work here," Chief Deputy Towles Bigelow told the committee. "The people who work here are going to have to help balance the budget."

There are 424 department vehicles that employees may drive home, and some of the employees may elect to stop doing that instead of paying the $1,200.

Dan Kuhn, one of the agency's three chief deputies, said the take-home policy increases the visibility of law enforcement. "There's no way to put a price tag on how many crimes you may have deterred by driving your vehicle down the street home," he said.

The hiring freeze also includes 10 new deputy positions in this year's budget to cover population growth.

Dean said the cuts were a series of decisions he was "loath" to make, and it was "unheard of" for a law enforcement agency to eliminate overtime. But he said he was doing it to cooperate with the County Commission, which requested that all the constitutional officers - sheriff, tax collector, property appraiser, court clerk and elections supervisor - cut 5.3 percent of the money they receive from the general fund, and for County Administrator Pat Howard to slash more than $2 million.

Commissioners requested a $1.57 million cut from the Sheriff's Office; the other $750,000 cut will free up money to cover the costs of off-site medical treatment, such as hospital visits, for jail inmates.

Behind all the county cuts for this fiscal year is a Budget Department estimate that Marion County will get $4.9 million less than expected in state-shared revenues - mostly sales taxes.

Things are rough over at the Marion County School Board as well. Superintendent Jim Yancey said public schools will need to cut $12 million in programs next year. The district's total budget is $677 million.

Dean said that under his cuts, "nobody loses their job, no essential service is cut."

He said state law prohibits the County Commission from forcing a sheriff to cut his budget in the middle of a fiscal year, but added, "I'm not going to play that card."

"We're trying to be a good citizen, but there's a point at which as sheriff, reason can't let you go further" with cuts, Dean said. "If you emasculate the department, where would public safety go?"

And Dean likely will need the County Commission on his side this summer when he brings the board his proposed budget for the 2008-2009 fiscal year. That's when the property tax cuts from Amendment 1 take effect.

The county Budget Department estimates the Sheriff's Office will have to cut $6.6 million because of lost property tax money. The Sheriff's Office plan is to cut $3.7 million by continuing the hiring freeze ($1.8 million) and the change in the take-home vehicle policy ($508,000), forgoing the purchase of replacement vehicles ($652,150) and reducing costs for utilities and contract services such as insect control ($500,000). Already, 25 percent of the lights in all the agency's buildings, including the jail, have been shut off.

SOLICIT DONATIONS?
Dean also proposed trying to form a new nonprofit foundation that could solicit community donations to cover the $248,500 costs of the agency's various volunteer programs.

He vowed Tuesday to "dig my heels in" and fight not to cut the full $6.6 million. He said that would mean cutting every employee's pay by 6 percent or laying off 100 employees.

Should the County Commission not approve the 2008-09 budget, a dispute could head to the Florida Cabinet and Gov. Charlie Crist for resolution.

Dean noted that might not turn out well for the Sheriff's Office, because Crist championed the Amendment 1 property tax referendum that is now taking a bite out of local governments' budgets.

"Am I upset? Yeah, I'm upset. But I'm not mad at the people," Dean said. "The people spoke because they wanted an extra tax exemption on their house. Did the people want to cut deputies? No, they wanted prioritization" of government services.

The cuts also will remove three employees from the aviation unit and put them on road patrol. The aviation unit will be funded through the property taxing unit for patrol, which funds patrol for unincorporated Marion County as well as McIntosh and Red****. But Dean said helicopters will still fly over Ocala, Belleview and Dunnellon when requested.

I hope not.
I drive 6 miles from my house each way to work a construction detail and sit idle foe 12 hourst burn their gas and is cost me less than $10, not a bad deal and I hope it continues. I couldn't afford that in my own car..

03-13-2008, 12:01 AM

BY CHRISTOPHER CURRY
STAR-BANNER

SOLICIT DONATIONS?

Way over her head

03-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Houston is the problem

03-13-2008, 07:54 PM

BY CHRISTOPHER CURRY
STAR-BANNER

SOLICIT DONATIONS?

I hope not.
I drive 6 miles from my house each way to work a construction detail and sit idle foe 12 hourst burn their gas and is cost me less than $10, not a bad deal and I hope it continues. I couldn't afford that in my own car..

Hey, great, it's just our little secret....it's not like this is a public forum. Use some common sense

03-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Its not a secret! Everyone knows the wear on the state vehicles. Besides you guys and girls should not be doing off duty "Police" details. Where is your authority? Read statutes..you guys and girls still have limited LEO authority and it only applies when you are on-duty with AB&T. So how are you charging for your "LEO authority."?!

03-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Its not a secret! Everyone knows the wear on the state vehicles. Besides you guys and girls should not be doing off duty "Police" details. Where is your authority? Read statutes..you guys and girls still have limited LEO authority and it only applies when you are on-duty with AB&T. So how are you charging for your "LEO authority."?!
Oh come on man, we do not have limited autority. We do traffic enforcement and details, work all kind of stuff. The statutes are there only if you let them get in the way.

03-15-2008, 06:08 PM

I am not familiar with your agency's jurisdiction limitations. Can somebody elaborate on whether this is true or not ???

03-16-2008, 01:07 AM
ABT had some limitations, then 2 sessions ago the legisture agreed to increase the law enforcement powers of ABT. ABT is only limited by some ABT policies, not statutes.

03-16-2008, 01:53 AM
ABT had some limitations, then 2 sessions ago the legisture agreed to increase the law enforcement powers of ABT. ABT is only limited by some ABT policies, not statutes.

You ARE INCORRECT. The statute says that you must be in the performance of your normal duty in order to respond. Do the other agencies say that???? Of course not, they have FULL POWERS. Wanna Be COPS

03-16-2008, 04:23 AM

You ARE INCORRECT. The statute says that you must be in the performance of your normal duty in order to respond. Do the other agencies say that???? Of course not, they have FULL POWERS. Wanna Be COPS

You are correct..FS 20.165..provisions 1 and 2!

03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I do not like that you call cindi a half wit. This is the most un fair I have seen about her to this day. you give her too much credit, she is only a quarter wit. the other quarter is pure vemon and disgust. unless you are one of her many x's.

03-16-2008, 05:49 PM

Do you feel better now, calling ABT wanna be cops. Does it make you feel more powerful? Good, because we'll just keep on doing what we do whether it suits you or not.

03-17-2008, 12:37 AM
As I stated in another post, what all these jealous DLE Agents don't know is that Gov. Bush wrote a directive accompanying the legislative approval. The letter granted the Division the ability to enforce everything, but also told the Secretary to make sure we remained focused on our primary legal task. The letter was given to us along with the newly updated FSS when we met to discuss the changes. That letter from the Governor clearly stated our authority, regardless of what a couple of DLE Agents say.

I guess some people in DLE are still pissed off that they aren't the only Special Agents in the State. Either that, or it's that they want to work our details. The saddest part is that DLE is highly comprised of former ABT Agents.

Can't we all just get along?

03-17-2008, 12:40 PM
You are right in that some of the Agents at FDLE are "uppity" thinking they should be the only "special agents" in the State. These are the ones who have no previous law enforcement experience and got their job during the tim moore days when all that mattered was that you had a degree. Pay no mind to these folks as they do not define the real working agents of FDLE....Be Safe

03-17-2008, 11:46 PM
You are right in that some of the Agents at FDLE are "uppity" thinking they should be the only "special agents" in the State. These are the ones who have no previous law enforcement experience and got their job during the tim moore days when all that mattered was that you had a degree. Pay no mind to these folks as they do not define the real working agents of FDLE....Be Safe

And you are the definition?!

03-17-2008, 11:48 PM
As I stated in another post, what all these jealous DLE Agents don't know is that Gov. Bush wrote a directive accompanying the legislative approval. The letter granted the Division the ability to enforce everything, but also told the Secretary to make sure we remained focused on our primary legal task. The letter was given to us along with the newly updated FSS when we met to discuss the changes. That letter from the Governor clearly stated our authority, regardless of what a couple of DLE Agents say.

I guess some people in DLE are still pissed off that they aren't the only Special Agents in the State. Either that, or it's that they want to work our details. The saddest part is that DLE is highly comprised of former ABT Agents.

And a letter overides statute? Now I see why you work as a self-proclaimed "SPECIAL Agent" at a wanna be LE agency!

03-18-2008, 12:07 AM

And a letter overides statute? Now I see why you work as a self-proclaimed "SPECIAL Agent" at a wanna be LE agency!

You must really suffer from some self estem issues, so I promise you are really, really Special and we all want to be like you!

03-18-2008, 01:12 AM
To the couple of DLE Agents who are haters of ABT: We'll just keep working off-duties whether you like it or not. Wanna change it?...Run for office!

I don't get what your issue is, but I don't care either. We don't need your approval to work our off-duties. If other agencies with no traffic authority can do it, then so can we. Seems to me that you need to petition your union for off-duty expansion.

And, even if the Governor's memo doesn't override FSS, it's still above DLE.

03-18-2008, 01:42 AM
To the couple of DLE Agents who are haters of ABT: We'll just keep working off-duties whether you like it or not. Wanna change it?...Run for office!

I don't get what your issue is, but I don't care either. We don't need your approval to work our off-duties. If other agencies with no traffic authority can do it, then so can we. Seems to me that you need to petition your union for off-duty expansion.

And, even if the Governor's memo doesn't override FSS, it's still above DLE.

Thank you, I agree you you!!!

03-18-2008, 06:24 AM

Be careful here. You are on thin ice with this. ABT are classified as LEI 1's or 2's not Special Agents. Special Agent is a name used by the agency and those among it. DMS does not classify ABT as Special Agent only FLDE.

Now as for powers. Everyone is correct here. Limited still by policy, but when you take the letter issued by Bush into account you may as well say our powers are limited by more then policy.

Does it all really matter either way?

03-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Be careful here. You are on thin ice with this. ABT are classified as LEI 1's or 2's not Special Agents. Special Agent is a name used by the agency and those among it. DMS does not classify ABT as Special Agent only FLDE.

Now as for powers. Everyone is correct here. Limited still by policy, but when you take the letter issued by Bush into account you may as well say our powers are limited by more then policy.

Does it all really matter either way?

It dont matter cause we do what we want too! CH cant interpret plain english let alone a statute, so we are A okay!

03-18-2008, 05:20 PM
What traffic authority do you need to work a traffic detail? Even if you see an infraction you cannot do anything about it. You can hold until a patrol unit shows up. You cannot be paid by a detail and then enforce laws for the state, you can not work for the state for free, writing traffic citations or a crash report while working the detail would constitute working for the state for free. Unless you call off of your detail, call on as working and then call off of working and go back on your detail. Which I highly doubt.

On a side note… who cares? Seriously, is the money I make working details that important to you, actually where I work there are no FDLE Agents, so quit *****ing.

03-21-2008, 12:50 PM
ABT Agents cannot work off duty on or near a licensed premise. There is a very good reason for this, it was in statute. It is a conflict anytime a ABT Agent works anywhere that a licensed premise exists. Agents at ABT have no authority to work at any secondary employment or off duty detail. It is contrary to law and against statute. ABT agents can only work on duty and make arrests on duty.

03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
ABT Agents cannot work off duty on or near a licensed premise. There is a very good reason for this, it was in statute. It is a conflict anytime a ABT Agent works anywhere that a licensed premise exists. Agents at ABT have no authority to work at any secondary employment or off duty detail. It is contrary to law and against statute. ABT agents can only work on duty and make arrests on duty.

There is very little truth in your statement. It was designed to incite an exchange between you and other equally uninformed individuals. I suspect you know just enough to be a hazard to yourself. I suspect the 40 or so agents working off duty details as ABT agents are laughing at you too.

03-21-2008, 05:45 PM

I agree with this statement. ABT agents have no business doing anything other than their jobs. ABT should not be doing off duty it is a conflict.

03-21-2008, 06:14 PM

According to statute, FHP can not work at a licensed location either... but they do. So your point is what?

03-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Mr. FDLE, how many felony arrest have you made, how many warrants have you served, how much have you seized asset wise? What is it that you do? Seriously, what do YOU do?

03-22-2008, 01:30 AM

I agree with this statement. ABT agents have no business doing anything other than their jobs. ABT should not be doing off duty it is a conflict.

The ABT agents that want to work off duty and in places with licenses (Daytona Speedway) are the same ones who don't do any work during normal work hours, but they are available to go work at the Speedway. Typical agents that cant get off their butts to do any work but they can go work off duty that is a conflict.

03-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Most of the not too lazy agents refuse to work these details but some trouble makers keep committing the same ol crimes.

03-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Mr. FDLE, how many felony arrest have you made, how many warrants have you served, how much have you seized asset wise? What is it that you do? Seriously, what do YOU do?

That Prema Donna probably does wondows.

03-22-2008, 02:10 AM

That Prema Donna probably does wondows.

I meant to say that the Prema Donna MF does WINDOWS

03-23-2008, 04:50 AM
Every agency has its good and bad apples, its hard workers and its lazy people. Bottom line is that FDLE is mostly about paper pushing. You sit behind a desk, you go interview people, you make reccomendations. Most DLE agents get their stats from calling local departments "what's going on with that case? Really? Ok, ill file that in my report" and then move on to the next phone call. DLE and ABT are pretty much the exact same job, just with different focuses. The amount of work done be either agency is comparable. Hell, look at Racino guys. They sit around and watch security cameras all day.

And yet they are somehow better than us how?

The agents that have left abt to go to dle did so, I would guess, for one very good reason. $5000 a year more pay.

03-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Most of the not too lazy agents refuse to work these details but some trouble makers keep committing the same ol crimes.

They will be sorry when they are indicted for theft of state time.

03-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Every agency has its good and bad apples, its hard workers and its lazy people. Bottom line is that FDLE is mostly about paper pushing. You sit behind a desk, you go interview people, you make reccomendations. Most DLE agents get their stats from calling local departments "what's going on with that case? Really? Ok, ill file that in my report" and then move on to the next phone call. DLE and ABT are pretty much the exact same job, just with different focuses. The amount of work done be either agency is comparable. Hell, look at Racino guys. They sit around and watch security cameras all day.

And yet they are somehow better than us how?

The agents that have left abt to go to dle did so, I would guess, for one very good reason. $5000 a year more pay.

Is the hassle worth it though, you have to go to an 8 week academy, you don't get a take home car when you start. Keep the $5k, I like my job just fine.

04-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Unless you have to work for SM in FM. Then take a look at FDLE ASAP.