PDA

View Full Version : Will there be another identity crisis?

03-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Will FWC,DOA and DEP merge? Whats the scoop?

03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Perhaps if they did merge it could be the start of a STATE POLICE agency in Florida. Just think you could be in on the ground floor of something earth shattering.

Maybe your dreams of being a real police agency could come true. You could drive really cool cars ans trucks, and maybe have a contest to redesign the badges for the new super agency. Then you could form a uniform committee and have a contest for the new uniforms. The prospects are limitless for you.

P.S. Unless you have the real dirt, go away!

03-14-2008, 01:45 AM
I thought that FWC was already doing that with their new badges for "Rangers" and new vehicle markings and and and and
NO FRICKING RAISES !

03-14-2008, 01:49 AM
YOU WANT AN IDENTITY CRISIS, READ THIS.
Proposed Law Looks to Wipe Out Problem

TALLAHASSEE (CBS4.com) ― A proposed law currently making its way through the Florida legislature might help you with what can be an embarrassing problem. Here's the bottom line, the bill would be a mandate that all eating establishment must have enough toilet paper when you go into the restroom.

The only problem is the bill doesn't dictate how much toilet paper is "enough."

State Senator Victor Crist, a Republican from Tampa, felt the problem was so important, a law must be passed to protect the backsides of anyone in Florida. The measure will also try to regulate the cleanliness of restrooms in eating establishments.

Crist, says in the bill, restaurant inspectors, "should also check the restrooms along with the kitchens to make sure that basic cleanliness necessities are in place."

The Senate Regulated Industries Committee approved the bill, SB 836, on Monday. It has two more stops to go and as long as it's not wiped out before then, it could then go to the Senate floor. A similar measure is currently awaiting passage by the House.

(© 2008 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

03-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Will FWC,DOA and DEP merge? Whats the scoop?

No...DEP will be eliminated. You got FWC and DOA what more does the state need.

03-17-2008, 09:12 PM
got completely out of controlIn ew.

03-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Perhaps if they did merge it could be the start of a STATE POLICE agency in Florida. Just think you could be in on the ground floor of something earth shattering.

Maybe your dreams of being a real police agency could come true. You could drive really cool cars ans trucks, and maybe have a contest to redesign the badges for the new super agency. Then you could form a uniform committee and have a contest for the new uniforms. The prospects are limitless for you.

P.S. Unless you have the real dirt, go away!

Why would you want to be a STATE POLICE. You might actually have to work. Unless your the Captain's golfing buddy of course

03-18-2008, 12:27 AM
I thought that FWC was already doing that with their new badges for "Rangers" and new vehicle markings and and and and
NO FRICKING RAISES !

They are only doing that if the agencies merge. The State will always have a Park LE. Its a tourist thing.

03-18-2008, 02:34 AM
This would be a great start to possibly having one state LEO agency.

The issue is FWC is a constitutional agency where all the others (I believe) are statutory agencies, so I believe FWC would have to absorb the other two.

Now get FDLE to absorb ABT, FHP, and the Fire Marshals then merge the two agencies into the Florida Department of Public Safety (FDPS) with different divisions (traffic, alcohol/tobacco, fire, wildlife, investigations, etc...)

With the budget the way it is, now is the time to press a merge home....damn what the Florida Sheriff's Association has to say. They are a dying entity as it is since the municipalities are annexing away their tax base as we speak. The SOs, even though the FL constitution states the Sheriff is the CLEO, are going to keep getting smaller and one day be left with courthouse, warrants, and civil.

03-20-2008, 02:44 AM
This would be a great start to possibly having one state LEO agency.

The issue is FWC is a constitutional agency where all the others (I believe) are statutory agencies, so I believe FWC would have to absorb the other two.

Now get FDLE to absorb ABT, FHP, and the Fire Marshals then merge the two agencies into the Florida Department of Public Safety (FDPS) with different divisions (traffic, alcohol/tobacco, fire, wildlife, investigations, etc...)

With the budget the way it is, now is the time to press a merge home....darn what the Florida Sheriff's Association has to say. They are a dying entity as it is since the municipalities are annexing away their tax base as we speak. The SOs, even though the FL constitution states the Sheriff is the CLEO, are going to keep getting smaller and one day be left with courthouse, warrants, and civil.

Im curious what Northern State did you say you came from. Because that mentality obviously reeks of Northern exposure. Maybe you forgot what State we are in but Florida cities are going bankrupt as we speak and turning things back over to the counties everyday. Just start looking Broward,Volusia,Dade,Duval,etc. Remember the tax amendment that wa s just voted on by our great Boss and a bunch of uneducated voters....

The Florida Sheriffs are not going anywhere. DEP, well who knows. All 67 counties still have the same names and uniforms since the 1950's, How many Depts and Uniforms has D.E.P. been through...?

Yep heres your sign.... :roll:

03-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Please show me one instance, recently, of property that was annexed by a municipality being returned to the county........**crickets**. Cities are only going to get bigger and counties smaller.

It will be even more prevelent now for the cities to annex to get more tax base to keep them from "going broke".

Guess you forgot your sign as well!!! Must be one of those small county LEOs

03-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Please show me one instance, recently, of property that was annexed by a municipality being returned to the county........**crickets**. Cities are only going to get bigger and counties smaller.

It will be even more prevelent now for the cities to annex to get more tax base to keep them from "going broke".

I might be a small town LEO now, but I spent the first 15 years of my career in Broward County, probably before you even knew where it was. The cities of Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach and I believe Lauderhill were contracted to the county.

Now that I live on the west coast, I know of 3 counties that have contracted their cities because of the liability cost issues. In fact the city that I live in is seriously considering contracting to the county.

If your "big time" city is able to annex, great for them, if your smaller city has to give it up to the county, then that is a fact of life.

Don't give me the attitude of a big time, big city cop. If you are from S.E Florida, then I was one of the "big time, big city" cops that kept you safe while you slept in your crib, junior. I'm not the only one, but I guess my years of experience mean nothing to you over educated, no experience police officer who has all the answers.

P.S. I will sign my name: Broward Cop who got smart and got out.

03-27-2008, 12:20 AM

Hey moron .. Who are you kidding. Just because your car says State Law Enforcement. I know your agency STRONGLY frowns upon you leaving your fence post unless travelling to anohter fence post because if your caught doing Police work outside a park. Your butt belongs to the Captain. You can sell your Rookie- Idas to someone else. When you reach 19 years on the job come talk to me. I was around when Park Police use to take their gun belts off to cut the grass and then get back in their trucks under DNR if you can cant remember look up your history of your own department their junior.

Dont tell me what you can do and cant do I am well aware of how your agency functions. You might get away with a UTC or Two outside the park boundaries but I can guarantee you Your Lt or District Captain will have your butt if you start playing cop outside in the county or Interstates. Oh and for the Counties that have lost cities. Lets see city of Weston,Tamarac,Pompano Bch (Broward County), Crystal River (Citrus County), Baldwin (Duval county) its called contracting. Several counties Im sure I can find some more.

For some of the bigger ciites like Orlando,Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale maybe they will annex small portion but Sheriffs are here to stay. If you dont like it I-75 (SR 93) and I-95 (SR 9) will take you Northbound. Leave your truck at your assigned Park.

As for my agency we have right at 1100 with four cities within and the city PDs are self functioning and you know what they work after the park closes.

I am not trying to disrespect the other State LEO on this board but you obviously need to school some of your own or send them back to time out.

03-27-2008, 02:17 AM
Sorry, I do not work for DEP.....and I passed 19 years a few years ago. I'm one of those state guys that was around with a real agency back when the step plan was in play!!!! Cha-Ching!!!!

03-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Sorry, I do not work for DEP.....and I passed 19 years a few years ago. I'm one of those state guys that was around with a real agency back when the step plan was in play!!!! Cha-Ching!!!!

I am curious then why would you act like like such a child on here if your a veteran cop. Its sounds like you are retired. Why are you even on a cop board then? Go enjoy your pension and travel or something but nobody needs you on here to stir the pot. Thats just disrespectful.

03-28-2008, 01:30 PM

If you are the person who was questioning Cities disbanding. I urge you to do your homework before you insert your foot. Its a fact we are in a recession not progression. Try and read your local newspaper. Our famous Governor and his Tax amendment 1 that he somehow got passed by some obsviously idiot and uneducated voters who just like you (did not do your homework)

03-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Please show me where I was being childish or disrespectful before I was bashed by some local LEO. I made a comment/suggestion about the future of state law enforcement and apparently some local or county LEO got all upset. My concern is for the future of Florida's state LEOs agencies that is why I posted here.

Again, if there is a large tax base in an area the cities are and will annex it from the county if they get the votes...period. Now some of the areas that are being returned are poor areas that nobody wants as the tax bases are low. There are also some small communities that do contract with the county but that number and the cost are minimal.

Fact.....Cities are going to grow by annexing areas as the tax base increases. This means counties will get smaller and the taxes used to fund the Sheriff's Offices (except warrants, civil, and courthouse as they usually come from the general fund) will get smaller.

The crazy Admendment 1 (which I did vote against) is not going to stop this but increase it as cities are looking for more taxes and annexing the tax rich/call low areas are the key.

03-29-2008, 03:16 AM
YOUR IDEOLOGY is not even close. Look at Duval (Jacksonville)Broward,Palm Bch and Miami Dade counties. They are not loosing any annexation but regaining due to recession from this tax crap as those cities within fold. Those are not poor counties at all but those cities are suffering. Ill give you Crystal River (citrus county). However right there your theory has been proven inaccurate.
As far as courts,civl and warrants. You are speaking like you are in a Northern State. If that does happen you and I will be dead and gone. This is Florida and The Sheriffs are Chief LE to each county and the State merely augments us. That hasnt changed and wont. Your jobs as State LEOs are safe. Yeah youll merge AGAIN and change uniforms,missions,badges and all that junk but youll still have a job.
The comprehension of this city thing you keep refering to is not only a falice but so far from our State lines it is not even a discussion with our legislation much less ever thought of.

03-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Lets try it again....

The only areas the cities are returning, if any, to the county are areas with low tax bases and high call loads. Why would a city struggling for funding return a area that provides them with a hig tax base and usually, not always, a low call load for services? They don't..... so what the counties are getting back are areas that do not produce a lot of taxes but may require more services which hurts the county. I used to work for an SO and saw this first hand!!!

As for the Sheriff's....yes they are the CLEO and can keep that as far as most care although a state police would solve some issues. The FSA fights the consolidation of state agencies cause they are scared of losing there CLEO status which is expected. I would to if I was a Sheriff. The thing that hurts state LEOs is they even fight mergers as they see it as a step toward a state police and taking their power.The thing is it would take an amendmaent to the constitution to change that and getting that passed would take even more than the Amendment 1 effort that squeaked by with 64%.

You are correct as I will never see it and it will not effect my retirement one way or the other. I was lucky enough to be around before another Governor gutted state LEOs by removing the step plans. I just want the same for all the other state LEOs

It is coming though as time marches on. Sheriff's will slowly lose their power unless they do what Jacksonville/Dual did and consolidate the Municipal and County governments into one. That means annexation is not an issue.

I'm curious who those who disagree with me work for.....I'm guessing an SO :roll:

03-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Actually, you are right on point.
The whole Sheriff concept is extremely antiquated and persist more as a custom than a matter of efficiency.
Times change, things change and this is one of those things that at some point needs to be looked at to see if it is worth keeping or discarding.

03-30-2008, 02:57 AM
Lets try it again....

The only areas the cities are returning, if any, to the county are areas with low tax bases and high call loads. Why would a city struggling for funding return a area that provides them with a hig tax base and usually, not always, a low call load for services? They don't..... so what the counties are getting back are areas that do not produce a lot of taxes but may require more services which hurts the county. I used to work for an SO and saw this first hand!!!

As for the Sheriff's....yes they are the CLEO and can keep that as far as most care although a state police would solve some issues. The FSA fights the consolidation of state agencies cause they are scared of losing there CLEO status which is expected. I would to if I was a Sheriff. The thing that hurts state LEOs is they even fight mergers as they see it as a step toward a state police and taking their power.The thing is it would take an amendmaent to the constitution to change that and getting that passed would take even more than the Amendment 1 effort that squeaked by with 64%.

You are correct as I will never see it and it will not effect my retirement one way or the other. I was lucky enough to be around before another Governor gutted state LEOs by removing the step plans. I just want the same for all the other state LEOs

It is coming though as time marches on. Sheriff's will slowly lose their power unless they do what Jacksonville/Dual did and consolidate the Municipal and County governments into one. That means annexation is not an issue.

I'm curious who those who disagree with me work for.....I'm guessing an SO :roll:

Your point is taken and is well in context. I agree to disagree on the city annexing concept as I have my perspective as you do yours. I do agree with you with the Step plans that was DUMB. I can tell you as a Deputy Sheriff. I am originally from Jacksonville so I know how the consolidation worked. They merged partially as the Sheriff there is still an elected official and they are under city pension with the exception of the SHERIFF. Miami Dade has a better plan how they did away with the Sheriff and are county Police with a Director appointed bt the county commissioner. I personally love being a Deputy Sheriff but would welcome better job security under a county pd. I could care less if we have a State Police or not. You can only patrol one area at a time anyway so the authority thing to me is pointless. We should all be state sworn peace officers like California with agency stipulations on that.

Anyway I hope you could see my point as I can see your as well. Thanks and enjoy your retirement