PDA

View Full Version : Bradenton's red-light warning

News Flash
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Bradenton's red-light warning
City's decision on use of cameras could be a model for the region

Bradenton officials, to their credit, might not wait to see if the Legislature will crack down on red-light running. Like a growing number of their counterparts around the state, they're looking at using cameras at intersections to refamiliarize some drivers with the meaning of red.

At the request of the Bradenton Police Department, the City Council is considering approving the use of cameras and imposing $125 fines against the owners of vehicles that are photographed running stoplights.
Click here (http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080227/OPINION/802270395/-1/help0501) for the full story.

02-27-2008, 07:01 PM
And where is this money coming from? We can't go to schools but we can buy cameras that may not hold up in court in the future.

02-27-2008, 08:46 PM
These camera's are paid for by the vendor. No tax dollars are used. The fines go the City's general fund which can be used to reduce taxes.

02-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Go to school????? Grow up!!!!!!!! We have to save money so no one loses his job. Money is tight in every City and County across the state right now.

02-28-2008, 04:11 AM
What I don't understand about these cameras is how can the ticket the right person?? Say my wife takes my car out and runs a redlight... Then does that mean I pay? I mean how will they know who is driving?

02-28-2008, 04:33 AM
These camera's are paid for by the vendor. No tax dollars are used. The fines go the City's general fund which can be used to reduce taxes. Does the vendor make a percentage? The county Commissioners state the cameras will cost up to $100,000 each and they feel they can re-coup the money from the fines. Why are they concerned about the cost if they don't pay for them. I am all for it if there is no cost although I don't think you can put a price on a red light runner in a serious crash but I just don't want to see anyone layed off because of the price of cameras.

02-28-2008, 03:04 PM
The county does not know what they are doing. Plenty of vendors out there who will pay for everything but they do get a part of the fine just like our parking ticket vendor.

02-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Owner of the car is responsible for fine just like a parking ticket unless they can prove who had the car. No points tho.

02-28-2008, 06:52 PM
These camera's are paid for by the vendor. No tax dollars are used. The fines go the City's general fund which can be used to reduce taxes.Not all of the fine....a good portion goes back to the vender. Think of it as renting the cameras.

02-28-2008, 07:05 PM
The county does not know what they are doing. Plenty of vendors out there who will pay for everything but they do get a part of the fine just like our parking ticket vendor.

WRONG

02-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Not talking about MSO but the County Commissioners DID think they had to pay for the cameras themselves. That is what is referred to as the County does not know what they are doing---they are now informed so CHILL

Most vendors charge around $40 per violation that means the rest of the money which is $85 goes to the County or City.

02-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Not talking about MSO but the County Commissioners DID think they had to pay for the cameras themselves. That is what is referred to as the County does not know what they are doing---they are now informed so CHILL

Most vendors charge around $40 per violation that means the rest of the money which is $85 goes to the County or City.

WRONG!

02-29-2008, 08:17 PM
OK now MSO you are just being stupid. Go watch the County Commisiion on TV, the meeting will be replayed and hear for yourself.

Oh and GET A LIFE!!!!!!