PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some info from Florida's TOP LEO's...

02-27-2008, 06:55 AM
First allow me to thank each LEO who reads this for everything you do and the sacrifices you make to serve our community/ state each day!!

I have decided to post this quest/ bulletin on the FDLE LEO Affairs page for three reasons.

1) I currently reside in the Great State of Florida

2) I realize that FDLE is comprised of several different divisions and agents who derive from various LE agencies and positions.

3) I plan to become a LEO in the state of Florida

In order to acquire an accurate answer to the question I am preparing to pose, I will provide a brief description of my situation.

I am currently 20yoa and will be 21yoa in the coming months. I am originally from up north and have been in Florida since 11/04. For as far back as I can recall I have always aspired to become a LEO. Growing up with a father who committed domestic violence towards my mother, sister, I the police officers were always my hero's and role models. While still residing up north I was a police explorer and participated in my high school's Army JROTC program.

Shortly after moving to Florida I joined my local Sheriff's Office Explorer Post. After four approx. 3 years as an explorer with my post I resigned as a Sgt. to become a dispatcher for the S.O. While working as a dispatcher for the S.O I made several mistakes. Though complimented for my knowledge of the F.S.S's and my ability to properly classify calls for service and convey information in a clear, calm, and concise manner to agency members I made mistakes that resulted in my dismissal from the S.O.

Within my first year as a civilian employee I had made mistakes such as arriving late for read-off, using an individual (private radio frequency) when not permitted to do so (though a common occurrence at the S.O by all dispatchers), and other minor infractions. After working at the S.O for about 7 months I made the mistake of dating a female dispatcher, who's mother is a 29 year veteran Sgt. of the S.O and who's father is a Major Crimes Det. at the S.O. Eventually the relationship did not work out, simply because the dispatcher I was dating became controlling; I broke off the relationship. She became vindictive and advised that I had "F***ed with the wrong B***h". Well, I suppose that I had.

In order to attend to police academy I had sold my at the time current vehicle and purchased an ex-police interceptor (white 01' Ford Crown Vic) for $2,500. Though, I had saved enough funds to attend the academy I would not have been able to attend with my at the time car and insurance payments. Therefore, the Crown Vic was a good buy. (and I like the crown vic, I admit that I think it's a cool looking car)

Approx. two weeks after purchasing the vehicle and allegation was made by an anon co-worker that I had conducted a traffic stop in the vehicle. The allegation was false, and still today I am upset that such an allegation was ever made.

When it was time for my 1yr evaluation, the Capt. had recommended a 90 day extension of my probationary period. Within the first 30 days of that extended probation period (less than a week after the allegation of the traffic stop was made) the Capt. had a list of mistakes that I had made such as those listed above. The Capt. informed me that I had a decision to make. He explained that I needed to separate myself from the S.O. I had to decide between resigning from the S.O or being terminated. I resigned....and I was in shock....heck I even broke down and teared up while in the Capt's office. My life long dream/ goal has been to become a LEO and now I was being forced to leave my position as a dispatcher.

In conclusion, I realize that I have made several mistakes in the past. I know that I was foolish and I take full responsibility for my careless action. It has been 6 months since I have resigned from the S.O. I have recently applied to another agency for a certified corrections sponsorship position and was not selected for the position. I have not committed any crime, however, I feel as though I have!

My question is simply this: Are my chances of becoming a LEO gone?

I am planning to obtain my 2yr degree, join the Air Force, and then attend the LEO academy. I am committed to becoming a LEO, it is my goal and as those who know me would say.....It is my passion.

Any words of wisdom/ advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Aspiring to become a LEO!

02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
You need to put some significant time between these past events and your next LE application.

Get your 2, or better yet 4 year degree, join the Air Force, perhaps try and work in the Military Police and after you have done your time, if you still have the desire for LE apply again. Of course, during the interim, stay on the straight and narrow.

Good luck.

02-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Guest, thank you for your input. I will follow your excellent advice and certainly stay on the straight and narrow. I look forward to obtaining my 4yr degree and completing at least 4yrs as an Air Force Security Forces Officer.

Again Thank you! Be safe out there!!

-Aspiring to become a LEO

02-28-2008, 04:06 AM
and another piece of advice. There are a lot of cars you can get for 2500 dollars that are a lot less beat up and driven into the ground, and more importantly, won't make you look like a wannabe/whacker to the people you want to hire you.

02-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Think about joining the military!

02-29-2008, 02:58 AM
Hey Guesting,

Did you read this young mans post? Check this out:

I am planning to obtain my 2yr degree, join the Air Force, and then attend the LEO academy. I am committed to becoming a LEO, it is my goal and as those who know me would say.....It is my passion.

Oh and did you miss this:

Guest, thank you for your input. I will follow your excellent advice and certainly stay on the straight and narrow. I look forward to obtaining my 4yr degree and completing at least 4yrs as an Air Force Security Forces Officer.

I believe he has indicated a strong desire to joining the military!

Just an observation. Any other advice for the kid??

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **********

Aspiring to become a LEO,

I would certainly recommend joining the military and highly encourage you to earn at minimum a 2yr degree. If law enforcement is your true passion, as I'm sure it is, you will find a way to become a LEO. Best of luck to you!!

10-8, 10-65

05-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Aspiring:
If you want opinion from a Law Enforcement officer, why did you post in this forum? These guys are not police officers, they are office jockeys who occasionally investigate someone or something? Try an S.O. forum, or FHP.

05-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Sounds like Not DLE is:

A. Applied for agent but didn't make the cut.
B) Currently under investigation, out on bond, just out of prison thanks to FDLE
C) Patrol guy that knows nothing other than rolling drunks and writing tickets.

FHP? Whatever.

05-12-2008, 08:27 PM
FHP..................... :lol:

05-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Sounds like DLE is jealous of the State of Florida's (SLEOs) highest paid as well as highest educated LEOs....

Its OK....get your uniform pressed and boots shined and make it to roll call on time. FDLE agents have already "been there and done that" and moved on the bigger things!!!

05-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Have any of you read FHP's board? I have never heard so much whining and complaining by adults in my life, and then they have the nerve to post "desk jockeys" here. From reading some of their post, you could give those, like the one that posted here, 10% or a 40% raise and that person would not be happy.

Dude get a life, and stay on your board!!!!!!!!!