PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Confindence in NPPD Part 2

02-26-2008, 08:02 PM
You see this is what I hoped wouldnt happen when I started this topic was people namely lacal cops taking it the wrong way. As I mentioned earlier I want to feel like we are all on the same team. Yet, when we get replies such as wanting to feel warm and fuzzy with the local police it is being taken in the wrong context. It would be great to see more North Police on the ground taking more of an interest in mixing with the public. This doesnt mean standing outside Walmart saying hello to people just taking a greater non agressive approach to the public who they come in contact with.

I spent alot of time in Europe working closley with the Metro Police in the UK in London and U.S Military Police stationed in England. I worked as part of an Anglo American liason team working with both divisions in the civilian community. What we found over an extensive period was when the Police got more involve in community activities and "on the ground" with the public or as it put "getting back to basics" the raport between the public and the police went up considerably. And although some of you may find it hard to believe and think that this isnt what police work is about. It works, and it works well.

Our department needs all the help it can get and yes, the reputation is appauling. Some is unjustified but much of it isn't. I hope that Chief Lewis reads the comments from this site as believe me. It will work if notice is taken. And I'm sure we all including our fine officers wish to be appriciated for the over all good work that they do sometimes.

It would begreat to see the new Police Department have an open house for the public to come and meet the team and the many departments who make up the NPPD. I saw many fire fighters out after the very sad murder of Denis Lee helping to raise money at the intersections and with a few small event. But, sadly none of our Police. I'm sure some of you were there and thank you to those who helped. But more is needed in the community. Please do not take this the wrong way. Just think about it

02-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Your wasting your time I am sorry to say. There are officers on the department that are neither gung ho, or ego driven.
They however are silent for fear of being outcast by others on the department for acting or speaking out in such a manor as you are proposing.

They see it for what it is, and that is being decent and caring about the public.
Those that play the ego game do not see it as such. They see such actions as being weak or soft.
To effect such changes you need to start from the top down. Unfortunately, you will always have people who will prey on the fear and anxiety of the public to keep things the status quo or tighten it even more.
Is there crime? Damn straight there is and always has been. But not to such a point that you have officers ready to get medieval on someone for a petty crime, or non-violent incident.
With that said, good luck on your quest, but I don't give much for your chances. :cry: :cry: :cry:

02-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Thnak yo very much for your well thought out reply. Its nice to know that are those in the department who are like minded. You know it very hard to believe in the day and age that a department can still be run like its in Hazzard County. Times have changed but alas North Port is still run like and controlled by the wrong people. It is sad that our town will still not be allowed to grow and develop with the respect from those appointed to protect. I find it very sad that although we think alike and so do the majority of our towns citizens that nothing will change until we all stand up and make it change. Taking our wonderful town into this new decade.

We shall just have to be known as the town where the rejects get hired and those that have done a terrible job elseware are sent to finished out there final years before retiring with full honors and a pension.

So sad....